Welcome Back!

stevegrant

1 minute ago, stevegrant said:

1. It wasn't intended to be unlimited. Just because you took advantage of a bug after a software update, doesn't mean it won't stay.

2. I don't care about other websites. This site costs money to run. If you don't like it, as ever, feel free to go elsewhere.

:admin::adore:

2 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

On the plus side my £5 subscription has stopped. Curry diet Steve? 

I've cancelled all of the PayPal recurring payments as we're now using a different payment provider, and the URL PayPal would post updates to doesn't exist anymore. I've got a spreadsheet of all the paid subscribers from the old site and am gradually working through them to add proper site subscriptions with the correct expiry dates to those user accounts, but all of them are in the Subscribed Users group already with all the permissions/privileges you get with that subscription.

That was initially as now VM servers have updated. Was originally going to the vbulletin site for a couple of days. As soon as I turned VPN on it went to new site

5 hours ago, simo said:

I'm on Virgin and works for me !?

1 hour ago, whelk said:

That was initially as now VM servers have updated. Was originally going to the vbulletin site for a couple of days. As soon as I turned VPN on it went to new site

Some ISPs set their DNS cache (and the cache on routers in properties too) to store data for far too long, so when a site moves server, it can take days for it to refresh. Infuriating and pretty unnecessary considering the size of the data they're storing there.

55 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Some ISPs set their DNS cache (and the cache on routers in properties too) to store data for far too long, so when a site moves server, it can take days for it to refresh. Infuriating and pretty unnecessary considering the size of the data they're storing there.

That is what happened to me. BT Halo hub took 24 hrs. 4G a little less time but all fine now.

12 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Okay I've worked out that there is an "unread content" function. Only took me a week. 👌

Have you found out how to ‘mark forums read” yet?

also, how about personal settings such as jump to the latest post when they are listed as oldest first.

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

Excellent new site , works on all my platforms.  Am using back button on browser to return to base after reading threads , any quicker  way ?

At the bottom of the page there's a "Go to topic listing" link :thumbup:

• Like 1

The new site looks very neat and smart, Steve,  but I  have to confess that because I have deteriorating eyesight (macular degeneration) I find that I struggle with the smaller lightweight font, especially where greyed. Also  I find the increased amount of white space surrounding the type uncomfortably glaring, despite turning the light down on my computer a bit. Sorry to criticise.

On 6/24/2020 at 5:29 PM, eelpie said:

The new site looks very neat and smart, Steve,  but I  have to confess that because I have deteriorating eyesight (macular degeneration) I find that I struggle with the smaller lightweight font, especially where greyed. Also  I find the increased amount of white space surrounding the type uncomfortably glaring, despite turning the light down on my computer a bit. Sorry to criticise.

Is there a dark mode available? 

Regarding the boxes for ‘mark site read’ and ‘unread content’ I have found them at last. They are right justified and don’t appear on my iPad in portrait mode but only show up when I turn it to landscape mode.

Any chance of a setting to let me jump to the last unread post in a thread?

On 02/07/2020 at 21:54, Whitey Grandad said:

Regarding the boxes for ‘mark site read’ and ‘unread content’ I have found them at last. They are right justified and don’t appear on my iPad in portrait mode but only show up when I turn it to landscape mode.

Any chance of a setting to let me jump to the last unread post in a thread?

Do you mean first unread post?

On 18/06/2020 at 14:21, stevegrant said:

On the list page, to the left of the post title is either a circle or star (it's a circle unless you've posted in the thread, in which case it'll be a star) - clicking that will take you straight to the first unread post.

My sub was refused last year Steve, because the d/d was not recognised by Pay Pal. This was because Tesco Platinum Visa changed my card due to security reasons and the new card had a different number. You indicated recently that you would advise existing subscribed users of their expiry dates but I guess I would not be on that list now, so can I update my sub now?

10 hours ago, Picard said:

Do you mean first unread post?

Yes, I did. The first unread post in a topic, please. Some forum designs allow you to set this as one of your preferences.

Thanks Steve, I’ll try that. It does mean an extra step though, another page loading. I have a shortcut to ‘unread posts’ but it takes an awful long time to load, a minute or so (Safari on iPad).

4 hours ago, rooney said:

My sub was refused last year Steve, because the d/d was not recognised by Pay Pal. This was because Tesco Platinum Visa changed my card due to security reasons and the new card had a different number. You indicated recently that you would advise existing subscribed users of their expiry dates but I guess I would not be on that list now, so can I update my sub now?

Certainly. Subscriptions can be bought here: https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/subscriptions/ :toppa:

2 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Tried that link but just shows when subs ended but no clue how to renew !

I believe the site will prompt you near the renewal date - not 100% sure whether it's via email or a notification on the site (might be both).

I am also still working my way through a spreadsheet of existing subscribers and adding the subscription details to the site manually - essentially, everyone with an existing subscription has been added to the Subscribed Users group so has all the permissions, etc, but there was no way to import the subscriptions themselves when we made the switch.

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

It’s just past renewal , only one button available, ‘cancel subscription’ .

So it seems as though the forum software might have different behaviour for checking expired subscriptions that were added manually (as pre-existing ones before we switched have been) compared to those which were added via someone buying it via the new site. I've gone through the database and manually expired the ones that need expiring, so you should now be able to make the purchase.

21 hours ago, stevegrant said:

So it seems as though the forum software might have different behaviour for checking expired subscriptions that were added manually (as pre-existing ones before we switched have been) compared to those which were added via someone buying it via the new site. I've gone through the database and manually expired the ones that need expiring, so you should now be able to make the purchase.

Well it then showed me as a member but couldn’t post at all , so signed up via new painless subs system which is excellent!

8 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

One thing I miss is a post counter, that is something in each post to show where it is in the sequence and how many posts have gone before. 

Yes that would be nice to have again. Especially when the P***m*y Takeover Saga thread hits the million mark.

On 18/06/2020 at 13:21, stevegrant said:

On the list page, to the left of the post title is either a circle or star (it's a circle unless you've posted in the thread, in which case it'll be a star) - clicking that will take you straight to the first unread post.

The new site is great.  The instructions above work well on Chrome on my desktop PC.  Any idea why the circle or star to the left of the thread heading isn't showing up when I view on the forum on my mobile or tablet - Both using Android Chrome?