Other games thread

Edmonton Saint

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Whilst it's still mathematically possible, I think tonight's wins for Sheff Utd and Burnley have pretty much snuffed out any faint hope we had of snatching 8th place. Never say never, but...

Win tomorrow and we're 5 points off. Unlikely but possible.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Win tomorrow and we're 5 points off. Unlikely but possible.

Aye, you never know.

If we beat Everton tomorrow, here's the last 4 fixtures for each club we're competing with who could possibly finish 8th...

SHEFF UTD

Screenshot_20200708-201223.png

BURNLEY

Screenshot_20200708-201303.png

ARSENAL

Screenshot_20200708-201341.png

SPURS

Screenshot_20200708-201411.png

WOLVES

Screenshot_20200708-201602.png

Edited by trousers

Don't think Europe has ever really been an option, top half would require us to probably win our remaining games.

I reckon we'll finish where we are - 12th, 13th. Between 46-49 pts. Wouldn't have said that back in November.

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Don't think Europe has ever really been an option, top half would require us to probably win our remaining games.

I reckon we'll finish where we are - 12th, 13th. Between 46-49 pts. Wouldn't have said that back in November.

I’m hoping we at least get to 50 pts.

to get top half we might need 4 wins out of 5 which is probably a stretch.

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I’d have ripped off an arm, a leg and a torso and eaten it if someone had offered me 12th/13th after the 9-0. What a job Hasenhuttl has done with the same team that has struggled the last few years. If we can bring in a couple of decent signings for a change in whatever summer window we get, we could really push on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I’d have ripped off an arm, a leg and a torso and eaten it if someone had offered me 12th/13th after the 9-0. What a job Hasenhuttl has done with the same team that has struggled the last few years. If we can bring in a couple of decent signings for a change in whatever summer window we get, we could really push on.

Indeed.  His ability to take existing players and make them better really is fantastic.

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Just the 13 penalties for Man Utd this season then...

Is that officially more than Andy Johnson/Crystal Palace in 2005??

it’s a foul to Villa - plus Fernandes screaming like he’s been two footed - cheating.

Unfortunately for Villa that’s when you know you’re doomed.

7 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

The more I see the replay the more that looks like blatant collusion between ref and VAR. If there was a foul at all, it was the other way.

Yep.

In any case the language they use is so wishy washy. “Clear and obvious error”. What exactly does that mean? 

In my definition of clear and obvious that was it, textbook but apparently not in the eyes of the VAR ref.

That in itself is really dangerous and opens up VAR to be used for cheating. Ref gives a penalty to his fave than knowing it won’t be overturned. 

VAR needs to be like our poster MLG. 

Edited by OttawaSaint

4 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

If anything, that's serious foul play by Fernandes and should have been a free kick to Villa and a red card. Absolutely disgraceful decision.

I have no idea how they could review that and give a penalty.

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Wow. Ref and VAR ref need to resign after that. 

Yes. That was an absolute disgrace. What worries me is that the VAR ref had all the time in the world to look at that. There's no possibility that it was unclear. The thinking was obviously "can I get away with saying it's not a clear and obvious error because the brand needs MU to be at the top."

7 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

What constitutes “clear and obvious”?

If that wasn’t a clear and obvious error then I don’t know what is.

It’s not the wording that’s the issue. Clear and obvious, is just that, clear and obvious. It couldn’t be much clearer. If the VAR thinks a clear error was made, that was obvious to everyone, he should over rule (or ask ref to look again).  If the idiot doing the VAR doesn’t think it’s that, there’s not a lot you can do. 

This was similar to the Bednarek tackle in our game. While VAR is limited to deciding a ref had made a clear and obvious error, it's useless.

The whole point of a detailed video review is that it can see things that aren't clear and obvious. If a ref makes a decision that, after analysis, is shown to be wrong, that decision should be overturned. Instead we have the nonsense of saying that it was wrong, but it wasn't obvious to the ref, so his wrong decision stands 

The bottom 3 are gone, but will we have the pleasure of making Bournemouth relegation official or will they be down already? It's likely they'll lose next two v Leicester and Man city. 

1 minute ago, JRM said:

The bottom 3 are gone, but will we have the pleasure of making Bournemouth relegation official or will they be down already? It's likely they'll lose next two v Leicester and Man city. 

West Ham are at Norwich on Saturday, they should win that, so then it's down to whether Watford can beat Newcastle, or then win at West Ham next Friday. Suspect Bournemouth will still be theoretically in touch, but their goal difference is surely going to take a battering at Man City, so they'd need to get 4 more points than Watford or West Ham.

34 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

West Ham are at Norwich on Saturday, they should win that, so then it's down to whether Watford can beat Newcastle, or then win at West Ham next Friday. Suspect Bournemouth will still be theoretically in touch, but their goal difference is surely going to take a battering at Man City, so they'd need to get 4 more points than Watford or West Ham.

There's a less than zero chance of that happening I'd say

I understand why the clear and obvious interpretation is put in, because they don’t want the game re refereed by VAR. It’s a bit like umpires call in cricket. However, why the VAR can’t just advise the ref to re watch it on pitch side TV is beyond me. The ref is still making the ultimate decision and still in charge. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I understand why the clear and obvious interpretation is put in, because they don’t want the game re refereed by VAR. It’s a bit like umpires call in cricket. However, why the VAR can’t just advise the ref to re watch it on pitch side TV is beyond me. The ref is still making the ultimate decision and still in charge. 

I understand your point but the current system means part of the game IS refereed by VAR, as the VAR ref alone devides whether to review a decision. I really feel that there have been glaring instances of a blind eye being turned when a ref makes a "mistake" favouring certain teams and looking with a fine tooth comb for possibilities when the boot is on the other foot.

Look at MU's penalty last night. Any proper review would have seen easily that the ref was wrong. Too easy to randomly state it wasn't "clear and obvious". With the benefit of replay, which is the whole point, it was clear and obvious. Compare that with instances where it's taken 5 minutes to find the faintest hint of handball to disallow a goal. Neither clear nor obvious.

And because the scope of VAR is so limited there are huge areas where VAR should be useful but can't be used.

The system needs complete review. The ref should be able to ask the video ref for advice on anything. The video ref should only be able to instigate a review where they are reasonably sure something has been missed, and then only to advise the ref to look at it. And refs must learn, as with other sports, that they should use VAR routinely for unclear incidents. It seems to me that too many refs regard VAR as a challenge to their authority, rather than a helpful assistant.

And, of course the other element is allowing teams appeals to VAR, which I don't really want but could become necessary unless we can get a system in which refs can use VAR freely and do so constructively rather than looking on VAR as a threat.

And yes, I agree that the final decision should always be on-field, but after proper review and guidance. At the moment that isn't happening. 

4 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

This won't be a popular opinion but I don't mind Newcastle winning today as I have a soft spot for Bournemouth and would like to see them survive.

I'd also like Bournemouth to stay up, but stayiing up at West Ham's expense and them  losing would be even better.

Can't see West Ham going down though; the six points we've gifted them this season are critical.

Edited by Badger