Other games thread

Edmonton Saint

After watching that drab showing between Spurs and Everton, teams with more to play for you have to give credit to our lads of the performances they have been putting in. 

Everton just didn't look like they cared, at times it didn't even look they knew they were losing and Spurs were not much better, Kane seemed to be defending more than attacking against a team that was barely attacking. 

It is heartening that in terms of the respective leagues that we play in, AFC Portsmouth will remain as close to Eastleigh as they are to Southampton next season.  it would be lovely to see the gap closed in the lower reaches and if I win Friday's Euromillions I will be investing in the Spitfires for sh*t and giggles. 

Puts Bournemouth even deeper in the mire and their form over the last 20 games must lead even their most optimistic fan to believe they are going to be relegated. Eddie has been proved to be a one-trick pony and not as good as many think he is. Time he appointed some decent coaches instead of his yes-men mates. 

8 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Puts Bournemouth even deeper in the mire and their form over the last 20 games must lead even their most optimistic fan to believe they are going to be relegated. Eddie has been proved to be a one-trick pony and not as good as many think he is. Time he appointed some decent coaches instead of his yes-men mates. 

If Bournemouth and Villa lose on Thursday a four point gap opens up with only four games left. Neither have been getting anything like a point a game recently, do could well be curtains. West Ham.snd Watford could survive on 31 points.

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I see the Bournemouth fans are now claiming they would much prefer to play in the Championship - in other words they realise the Prem was too big a step up.

Plenty of Saints fans have claimed the same during the darker moments of the past three seasons.

10 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I see the Bournemouth fans are now claiming they would much prefer to play in the Championship - in other words they realise the Prem was too big a step up.

It's the default thing to say when you're losing every week. The reality is that this league is where it all is. 

There's no easy way back for them, long, long road and lots of financial problems.

14 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

I'm surrounded by Bournemouth fans, season ticket holders, at work and they all started doing this around two weeks ago (and I'm really biting my tongue every day).

They're all sticking with Howe though, only one of them has mentioned Fat Sam, and mostly complaining about players with no commitment / passion.

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's the default thing to say when you're losing every week. The reality is that this league is where it all is. 

There's no easy way back for them, long, long road and lots of financial problems.

Really interested to see what happens to Bournemouth & Villa (should both of them drop).

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Such a fallacy too. “Down in a proper league, winning every week...”.

Just ask Boro, Hull and Stoke how that’s going.

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Every Bournemouth "fan" I know supported a big club until they got into the Prem. As soon as they go down they will be back supporting them and the days of following Bournemouth will be a distant memory. That club will drop like stone and be back to crowds of 5000.

Edited by Katalinic

2 hours ago, Shroppie said:

If Bournemouth and Villa lose on Thursday a four point gap opens up with only four games left. Neither have been getting anything like a point a game recently, do could well be curtains. West Ham.snd Watford could survive on 31 points.

We were 4 points adrift of Swansea two years ago with 4 games to play and ended up staying up by 3 points, so weird things can happen, but I do agree that Bournemouth don't really look like putting one of their little runs together as they have done mid-season in previous years. This current side looks bereft of either confidence or character.

18 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

We were 4 points adrift of Swansea two years ago with 4 games to play and ended up staying up by 3 points, so weird things can happen, but I do agree that Bournemouth don't really look like putting one of their little runs together as they have done mid-season in previous years. This current side looks bereft of either confidence or character.

That season was almost nostalgic in the way we battled relegation.

That Swansea game... with everything that happened in the build up and then the way the match went, with everything it had riding on it...

I remember feeling like I'd done a 5 mile run after that game.

1 hour ago, stevegrant said:

An advantage we had was that we had Swansea in one of those last games. If Bournemouth still had matches against West Ham and/or Watford, you might see a way out for them.

That Swansea 0-1 win truly was a six-pointer and deserved the “must win” tag!

4 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

That Swansea game... with everything that happened in the build up and then the way the match went, with everything it had riding on it...

Having to stay in Cardiff and then Hughesy leading the troops into the stadium and into battle. Classic!

As bad as Bournemouth have been I can see them picking up points v both spurs and Leicester which will hopefully give us the opportunity to send them down. Spurs are so boring to watch. Leicester not playing well and lack creativity atm. West ham have a nice fixture run on paper so will be ok. Villa will beat palace but struggle to pick up anymore points. Villa down on 30 pts and then Bournemouth on 32 pts. Watford are the only hope for villa and Bournemouth as they are really poor but I think they will scrape enough pts.

8 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

I was there and utterly drained afterwards but euphoric as it simply was a case of win or drop. I'll never forget the moment Gabbi's defected effort crept in.

And after the game looking fir a drink/meal, Swansea was like a morgue. We certainly put the nail in the coffin.

Hopefully Man City beat Newcastle by at least 3 goals this evening to allow us to go up another place in the table to 12th. 

Mad looking at the table to think we finished 8th on 46 points in 2017. 

10 hours ago, Katalinic said:

Every Bournemouth "fan" I know supported a big club until they got into the Prem. As soon as they go down they will be back supporting them and the days of following Bournemouth will be a distant memory. That club will drop like stone and be back to crowds of 5000.

Yes, they haven’t made the slightest attempt to expand their fan base....

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Hopefully Man City beat Newcastle by at least 3 goals this evening to allow us to go up another place in the table to 12th. 

Mad looking at the table to think we finished 8th on 46 points in 2017. 

We were double-digits behind 7th that season, weren't we? Proper collapse after losing the EFL Cup final.

7 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

We were double-digits behind 7th that season, weren't we? Proper collapse after losing the EFL Cup final.

Yep Everton 7th on 61 points, we were 8th on 46! Haha got to be the lowest ever points for top 8. 

Hopefully we can beat that points tally this year, I'll predict 50 points. 

Man City v Newcastle (6pm)
Sheff Utd v Wolves (6pm)
West Ham v Burnley (6pm)
Brighton v Liverpool (8.15pm)

Man City, Wolves, West Ham and Liverpool wins please. (Yeah, I know.... wouldn't ordinarily want West Ham to win but we need Burnley to lose to improve our chances of finishing above them. Also don't want Brighton getting too close to us either)

I know they’ve got another channel without the piped in crowd noise, but they really need one for alternative commentary. The bird doing the analysis for West Ham v Burnley is fucking annoying. Horrific voice, every cliche under the sun and clearly out of her depth. Wonder who she had to blow to get that gig, because merit clearly didn’t come into it. Woeful. Like an excitable 14 year old that’s won a competition. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Definitely need a win tomorrow to keep our faint hopes of Europe alive.

I've never had as much interest in both the relegation battle and the battle for European spots in the same season before lol.

Whilst it's still mathematically possible, I think tonight's wins for Sheff Utd and Burnley have pretty much snuffed out any faint hope we had of snatching 8th place. Never say never, but...