Other games thread

Edmonton Saint

For us, Newcastle drawing is ok but a top 10 finish for us still isn’t out of our grasp. On a personal level I’d love to see West Ham go down so poor results there too, Villa point aside.

Norwich are gone. Bournemouth will join them. Then it’s one of Villa, West Ham and Watford. I think, sadly, it will be Villa.

Agree with the comment above though, Sheffield United will probably suffer from second season syndrome next season, especially without Henderson. I also think Burnley are due a dodgy season at some point. Depends if they keep hold of Tarkowski.

You have to wonder what will happen to Bournemouth after relegation?

They have spent a fortune on players that has only been sustainable due to PL income. They've got guys like Solanke, Ibe - around £40m spent on those two, they can't even get in the side....how will they able to shift them?? Then you've got lower league football next year with reduced capacity and no PL income....they could be ruined.

The buckets will be rattling again soon...

48 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You have to wonder what will happen to Bournemouth after relegation?

They have spent a fortune on players that has only been sustainable due to PL income. They've got guys like Solanke, Ibe - around £40m spent on those two, they can't even get in the side....how will they able to shift them?? Then you've got lower league football next year with reduced capacity and no PL income....they could be ruined.

The buckets will be rattling again soon...

Are Bournemouth still in trouble with the EFL? Or did they settle it?

Im curious what happens if Villa go.  I think they dodged punishment by getting promotion & then spent £140m+

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Are Bournemouth still in trouble with the EFL? Or did they settle it?

Im curious what happens if Villa go.  I think they dodged punishment by getting promotion & then spent £140m+

Good point - no idea what happened with their EFL trouble, but I remember the breached FFP didn't they.

Villa are another example that spending millions and millions and millions doesn't get you far. They spent as much as Fulham did last year!

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If you mute all the pre/post match masturbation, there’s no denying they’re an absolute joy to watch.

They are. It still sticks in the throat that they're enjoying watching those players do that because they cheated to get them though.

15 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Wish you could mute Carragher..........jeez the guy offers nothing of any value.

It was sickening as you could sense him trying to conceal his delight that Zaha the major threat limped off 'oh what a shame for the game' 

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I’ve honestly no idea how he’s allowed to commentate on Liverpool games. They’ve stopped letting Tiss do ours on SS and rightly so.

Think he should only be allowed to comment on Liverpool games, for Radio Merseyside or similar. I doubt anyone outside of there wants to hear him.

18 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Wish you could mute Carragher..........jeez the guy offers nothing of any value.

Disgraceful that he's allowed on air after the spitting incident.

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Look on the bright side, they won’t get that 95th minute winner, ‘glorious goal when all hope was lost’ moment, that they will go on about for decades, like "that night in Istanbul."

"Best fans in the world. Eh, eh (arree kid)!"

It’s just so weird that they were saying “Liverpool fans clinging to hope at 1-1, nerves in Merseyside etc”. 

Really, they are miles ahead, if I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn’t have been nervous at all. There was absolutely no way they’d blow a lead that big.

6 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

It’s just so weird that they were saying “Liverpool fans clinging to hope at 1-1, nerves in Merseyside etc”. 

Really, they are miles ahead, if I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn’t have been nervous at all. There was absolutely no way they’d blow a lead that big.

Yeah when he said to McManaman he just shrugged and said they knew they’d won it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

There's been nonsense like that all day. Shite about how desperate Man City would be to win tonight on Five Live earlier etc etc. Really?

Like the scenario that Liverpool would subsequently go on to suffer seven consecutive defeats is anything remotely plausible.

At least they've won it now so we can get on with the rest of our lives.

Edited by CB Fry

7 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Time to zone out. Dodge the nausea. Despise them.

yep... but they clinched in the least dramatic way (and as a by-product the least nauseating)

01) they didn't do it with a win on the pitch, but as they sat on their couches at home. So we didn't have to see the team celebrating on the pitch the day they clinched

02) they have to wait a whole week for their next game (on a Thursday), so maybe some of the "excitment/fawning" will be diluted some by then.

03) No celebrations in front of supporters at Anfield.

04) No parade

Trust me... it would have been way more nauseating if they had clinched it versus Man City next Thursday.

and yes, they will always carry their victimhood front and center, but at least we don't have to hear "the 30 years without title drought" talk ad naseum anymore.

haha, i would kill for a "30 year title drought" !!

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Good news for who?

I'll take that as good news for Saints. Once we're mathematically safe I'll start hope results start going for Villa, Bournemouth and Watford and against West Ham. Until then, I'm happy to see all teams below us keep losing.

7 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I'll take that as good news for Saints. Once we're mathematically safe I'll start hope results start going for Villa, Bournemouth and Watford and against West Ham. Until then, I'm happy to see all teams below us keep losing.

That’d mean 3 out of 4 teams at the bottom going from an average of less than a point a game so far this season, to more than 1.5 points a game for the rest of the season. And that’s if Saints don’t pick up a single point for the rest of the season.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

That’d mean 3 out of 4 teams at the bottom going from an average of less than a point a game so far this season, to more than 1.5 points a game for the rest of the season. And that’s if Saints don’t pick up a single point for the rest of the season.

I've had that sort of year so far it wouldn't surprise me if this happens!

10 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

For villa to finish above us they will have to get at least ten points from their next 6 games including against United, Liverpool and arsenal. If they lose to west ham then it would be at least three wins and a draw from five games with us losing every game for the rest of the season. Norwich would need 5 wins and a draw from their remaining 7 games and if West ham end up losing to villa they will need 3 wins and a draw from 6 games, two of which are against united and Chelsea. That leaves Bournemouth who would need to get ten points from 7 games which include city, Leicester, United and spurs and Watford who would need 9 points from 7 games which is achievable but they also play Chelsea, City and arsenal along with rivals Norwich and West ham so they will take points off each other. We are safe. 

Villa, Watford, Boscombe 

5 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I've had that sort of year so far it wouldn't surprise me if this happens!

No chance.

None of the bottom 5 have exactly hit the ground running. They’re all scratching around for points. There’s no way 3 of them will overtake us. One perhaps, two highly unlikely, Three no.

31 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

We are safe mate. We've been safe since before lockdown when needed about four points from nine games.

The idea that anyone needs to whittle and worry about Villa or West Ham winning the odd game is absolutely bizarre.

Especially when the relegation scenario involves huge upturns in form for multiple teams while simultaneously believing that Saints will simply lose eight games in a row.

Put it this way - if it was Saints in 19th with 27 points with 7 games left would they have the same belief that we would escape in the way they fear that Villa will do? Of course they wouldn't.

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We are safe mate. We've been safe since before lockdown when needed about four points from nine games.

The idea that anyone needs to whittle and worry about Villa or West Ham winning the odd game is absolutely bizarre.

Especially when the relegation scenario involves huge upturns in form for multiple teams while simultaneously believing that Saints will simply lose eight games in a row.

Put it this way - if it was Saints in 19th with 27 points with 7 games left would they have the same belief that we would escape in the way they fear that Villa will do? Of course they wouldn't.

Yes and the point is that even if villa did happen to do it, you won't have Watford, West ham and Bournemouth doing it too which is what you'd need for saints to get relegated. In a couple of weeks it will get to the point where more than one of them will need something like 8 points from 4 games to overtake us which isn't going to happen. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'll accept that you're almost definitely right. Would take remarkable results all round for us to get dragged in.

Problem is, I'm a mathematician. 😂

Edited by Shroppie
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Causer said:

Harrison Reed looking really good v Leeds. Winning the ball back a lot and sharp 1 or 2 touch passing. Definitely worth a squad place next season at minimum. 

Yep. Looking very sharp on the ball and pretty much orchestrating things for Fulham.

Edited by shurlock