Other games thread

Edmonton Saint

Assuming Everton somehow manage to avoid defeat against Villa tomorrow,  then a point for Watford/West Ham on Friday wouldn't be a disaster for either..... 
Gap to them is 4 points, with 6 to play for Villa and Bournemouth.

Edited by markr27

5 minutes ago, Bananaman said:

if watford and west ham draw, we send Bournemouth down with a win? 

To be fair they looked pretty handy tonight, this will not be easy. I reckon our hardest game of the restart. Think we might struggle here.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair they looked pretty handy tonight, this will not be easy. I reckon our hardest game of the restart. Think we might struggle here.

They’re certainly buoyed by the Leicester result - but given our away form, and Ings in form I’d be extremely disappointed to not get at least a draw against a battling Bournemouth.

The dream would be if Villa could some how get a win tomorrow, Watford beat West Ham, we beat Bournemouth, and Villa beat West Ham on the last day. Highly unlikely but would be hilarious.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 1

Bournemouth looked decent and have found some fight and spirit, they'll fancy their chances against us and Everton in final two games with both in theory having nothing to play for.  

Keeps it interesting, Watford thought they were safe, I could see them dropping back in. 

13 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Yep. That would be sweet

Is it just me that would be very happy to see Bompey get out of it if it meant Wham go down even if it meant forfeiting our game against Bournemouth? I'd also much rather Brighton went than Bournemouth and that is still possible. Both scenarios are highly unlikely but far more sweet given that fact and the fact that I dislike both of them far more than little Bournemouth.  If we are talking Watford in place of Bournemouth then no way.

6 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Is it just me that would be very happy to see Bompey get out of it if it meant Wham go down even if it meant forfeiting our game against Bournemouth? I'd also much rather Brighton went than Bournemouth and that is still possible. Both scenarios are highly unlikely but far more sweet given that fact and the fact that I dislike both of them far more than little Bournemouth.  If we are talking Watford in place of Bournemouth then no way.

I'd almost feel sorry if Bournemouth went down.

West Ham going down would be hilarious.

2-1! :lol:

The commentators keep going on about Liverpool dropping off as they've won the league, but they seem to forget that they'd dropped off in Feb....they just haven't really got back to where they were pre-Jan.

Taking this into next season will be funny, can't see them retaining it with this lack of momentum.

1 hour ago, markr27 said:

Assuming Everton somehow manage to avoid defeat against Villa tomorrow,  then a point for Watford/West Ham on Friday wouldn't be a disaster for either..... 
Gap to them is 4 points, with 6 to play for Villa and Bournemouth.

Not so sure it would be for Watford they have Arsenal & City left to play. 

I think a Watford win sends Bournemouth down, because I think West Ham will do Villa last day. 

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

I'd be happy to see Bournemouth stay up, even if it means we lose to them, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility. 

1 minute ago, trousers said:

How did this shite team win the league FFS?

They haven't been focused or motivated at all since the break. That's got to be down to the regime during lock-down. I don't think any team had matched Saints in that respect.

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

How did this shite team win the league FFS?

They've punched well above their weight in terms of expected goals, expected goals conceded, and expected points.

They'll probably challenge for the title again next season but can't see them getting another chance at the points record.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m just glad Liverpool can’t make 100 points, be the ‘best team in PL history’ etc. 3 defeats now, lost their 100% home record last week, no European double... its gradually getting less special.

Don't forget the coronavirus * in the league table footnotes

21 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

I'd be happy to see Bournemouth stay up, even if it means we lose to them, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility. 

Not me. There is no circumstance to make me happy for a Saints loss. I wouldn't mind them staying up, if meant we didn't concede points to them - but that scenario is no longer possible, so sod them. Maybe going down will teach some of their fans some humility.....

8 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

You’d happily see us lose to them? Fuck that - how could you gladly have us lose a game. Could you imagine them sounding off about taking 6 points off us this season and staying up by beating us?

i was genuinely happy for them when they first came up, then it got a bit silly and all the Bournemouth fans I’m aquatinted with started calling me scummer, and trying to give it the ‘Top Bantz’, and they quickly became an annoying pimple on our arse. Them winning at St Mary’s, celebrating like they won the league, and singing “Oh When The Saints, Go Marching Down” hasn’t been forgotten, and it would be fantastic to dish out a little bit of karma for that.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

You’d happily see us lose to them? Fuck that - how could you gladly have us lose a game. Could you imagine them sounding off about taking 6 points off us this season and staying up by beating us?

Them winning at St Mary’s, celebrating like the win the league, and singing “Oh When The Saints, Go Marching Down” hasn’t been forgotten, and it would be fantastic to dish out a little bit of karma for that.

100% agree with all of this

7 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

Wtf? spent a fortune on largely crap players, pissy little ground, cocky fcking supporters. Yeah we all had a soft spot for them at one point but I’ll have no tears when they go back down. Only thing will miss is that they always bottles it against us (apart from:this season) so was largely easy points.

Although if it was them orWest Ham, which it wont be, would want them to stay up.

In terms of our league position best we can hope for now is 11th, and that looks difficult with Everton having Villa and Bournemouth at home still to play. 

Lowest we can be is 14th but I don't see Newcastle or Palace picking up many more points either, so 12th it is for us. Not bad. Ralph is bound to give some fringe players some game time. 

As for Bournemouth, it's hard to hate them but the way they celebrated at St Mary's singing saints go marching down and mind the gap mind the gap southampton it would be a nice bit of karma to send them down. Perhaps once crowds are allowed back we can go down there to play a friendly to raise some funds for them. 

Hope Leicester miss out on champions league, can't stand Rogers or Vardy. 

9 hours ago, bpsaint said:

i was genuinely happy for them when they first came up, then it got a bit silly and all the Bournemouth fans I’m aquatinted with started calling me scummer, and trying to give it the ‘Top Bantz’, and they quickly became an annoying pimple on our arse. Them winning at St Mary’s, celebrating like they won the league, and singing “Oh When The Saints, Go Marching Down” hasn’t been forgotten, and it would be fantastic to dish out a little bit of karma for that.

This. 100%

If Bournemouth go down I can see them struggling financially, they've spent so much money on dross over the last few years, there will be a fire sale for their few decent players. I very much doubt they will be coming straight back up; more likely they will be where Huddersfield are now and fighting to stay in Div 2.

I really struggle with Bournemouth. Living in the town gives me no soft spot for them whatsoever, their newly acquired Premier League fans are by and large total twats. But the older fans, the ones who went to the home matches against Crewe and Rochdale when they were minus 17 points do actually appreciate the help Southampton gave them in those times. 

If they go down they will never get back up, they will lose too many players, who knows Howe may even walk away. I have no qualms about Saints sending them down, but at the same time if it was them or West Ham.....hmm

I'm reliably informed that the players and staff well remember the way they celebrated the win at St Mary's in September with the subsequent "looking forward to the game in May when we can send you down" stuff. Motivation on Sunday shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Exactly this. All their fans chanting "the south-coast is ours" and "oh when the saints go marching down". Bournemouth are a nothing team from a s-hole city with nothing to offer the premier league. 

I, for one, hope they go down and hope we are the ones to hammer the final nail in. The only down side to this would be missing out on the fans crying in the stands. 

Edited by Bananaman

it will be all or nothing for Bournemouth. A defeat to us will likely result in relegation.

I guess it depends on how they handle the pressure.  The 2nd half against leicester was a gift, but moments like that (Schmeichel scuffing a clearance) can be a massive turning point.  A respectable 2-1 defeat at city, with lots of chances suggest they are up for it?

Edited by Batman

41 minutes ago, Batman said:

it will be all or nothing for Bournemouth. A defeat to us will likely result in relegation.

I guess it depends on how they handle the pressure.  The 2nd half against leicester was a gift, but moments like that (Schmeichel scuffing a clearance) can be a massive turning point.  A respectable 2-1 defeat at city, with lots of chances suggest they are up for it?

I guess it depends on whether you deem their improved performances directly as a result of them improving or whether it's because the opposition allowed those performances. Leicester collapsed in a horrible heap on Sunday having dominated the first 55 minutes, and City made a load of changes to their team and never really got out of first gear. How much of that was down to Bournemouth's performance, and how much of it was down to individual mistakes by Leicester or a complacent attitude from Manchester City?

43 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

I guess it depends on whether you deem their improved performances directly as a result of them improving or whether it's because the opposition allowed those performances. Leicester collapsed in a horrible heap on Sunday having dominated the first 55 minutes, and City made a load of changes to their team and never really got out of first gear. How much of that was down to Bournemouth's performance, and how much of it was down to individual mistakes by Leicester or a complacent attitude from Manchester City?

That’s exactly what I was thinking watching that City game. Have they improved or are the opposition making them look better. Guess we will find out Sunday