Other games thread

Edmonton Saint

23 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Brentford now have automatic promotion in their own hands, with two pretty winnable matches to go, too.

And Leeds promoted. Brace yourself.

And only need a draw and a win as well. Leeds, Brentford and forest replacing Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford would be brilliant. 

• Like 2

Come on Brentford, if West Brom bottle promotion after the position they were in earlier in the season then they will be laughed at for years. Is this their last year of parachute payments?

West Brom can get to 85 points if they beat QPR (who are safely in mid-table obscurity), Brentford are on 81 but with two games to play and a much better goal difference, against Stoke (18th, almost safe but 5 points clear of the relegation zone with 2 games to play) and Barnsley who are bottom and all but relegated.

I fancy Brentford to finish second and Would prefer Forest to come up in the playoffs, or Fulham otherwise. Millwall could be fun too if they make it!

10 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Bournemouth to bully Saints on Sunday, I fancy them to win. 

Are Bournemouth a bullying side ? Isn't that why they are in this mess, Eddie has one style and one style only, they have no battlers, just ball players.

Brentford, after playing so freely for weeks, look to have the weight of the entire world on their shoulders at the moment.

It's amazing what the tiniest bit of pressure can do to players, they just haven't turned up and are 1-0 down to Stoke at the moment.

Brentford totally shit the bed.

A perfect example, if it was ever needed, that it is a futile exercise whittling on about everyone else's results. 

In league football, your success is in your own freaking hands.

Edited by CB Fry

56 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Brentford totally shit the bed.

A perfect example, if it was ever needed, that it is a futile exercise whittling on about everyone else's results. 

In league football, your success is in your own freaking hands.

Not sure Liverpool would have agreed with you last season.

Bang goes our slim chance of finishing top half. Knew I was mad at the start of the season for suggesting our squad was capable of achieving such heights, let alone getting this close. I think I'll stick to Chris de Burgh concert going in future. I'm clearly not cut out for this football fan malarkey :(

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

Bang goes our slim chance of finishing top half. Knew I was mad at the start of the season for suggesting our squad was capable of achieving such heights, let alone getting this close. I think I'll stick to Chris de Burgh concert going in future. I'm clearly not cut out for this football fan malarkey :(

Gives us something to aim for best season :) 

How shit are Burnley by the way? Really can't quite understand how they are where they are in the table, they have no real quality in that side. Norwich have better individual players, I guess with Burnley it's the mix and the team spirit they have which is why they are there, they haven't got to where they are through quality. Some may argue, but when Eric Peiter's and Phil Bardsley start for you in the Premier League, it's safe to say they've overachieved somehow.

Edited by S-Clarke

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Football is all about fans being hostile? Really?

This. Glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

After all their years in the wilderness I'm waiting to see them overspend on overrated players to form a disjointed group rather than a team. Whilst the overblown expectations of their fans will hopefully put huge pressure on the team and cause meltdown after a few losses and the realisation that they aren't a top club.

26 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

After all their years in the wilderness I'm waiting to see them overspend on overrated players to form a disjointed group rather than a team. Whilst the overblown expectations of their fans will hopefully put huge pressure on the team and cause meltdown after a few losses and the realisation that they aren't a top club.

They wont overspend, And they wont bring in loads of players, That isn't how Bielsa works, He will targets about 3/4 players to add to the team he trusts, And largely go witht he squad he had last year. Leeds will have a good season.

22 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Not sure I will welcome Leeds fans back to the Prem , always pretty hostile over the years I seem to remember ....

Horrible club, horrible fans. Never will forget or forgive them the time they went up Hill Lane kicking in the doors of many parked cars.

The great thing is they'll go straight back down again and we won't have to watch them for another 18 years.

Has anybody really missed them? Almost forgotten they existed.

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

You think that will happen will Bielsa in charge, the guy is god up there, the only issue and its a biggy is like Gao for us is Raddzini,  leeds fans cant stand him and he's very much take take take, there are rumours of takeovers but like Mike Ashley he's a bit if a player

39 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

You think that will happen will Bielsa in charge, the guy is god up there

He might well be viewed as a legend up there (I would have infintely preferred him to Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes)  but he does have a lot of implosions on his CV. I'll guess that they will take a lot of teams by surprise but slide down the table towards the end of the season.

Don’t really get the hate for Leeds. Yes they have got a bit of an element that will upset some of you but so has every club. Leeds are in reality want Pompey think they are. Their support is superb home and away and Elland Road is always a horrible place for away teams to visit. Don’t see much wrong with that. 

with a bit of sustained success And investment they could be a huge club, I live in a town 15 miles away and they have a massive fan base, Leeds itself is a great city with so much going on, it’s a great area to live. There are quite a few strong rumors of a take over and investment but as others have said I’d expect Bielsa to only make a handful of signings this summer, They certainly need a couple of strikers but I dont see them coming straight back down.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Don’t really get the hate for Leeds. Yes they have got a bit of an element that will upset some of you but so has every club. Leeds are in reality want Pompey think they are. Their support is superb home and away and Elland Road is always a horrible place for away teams to visit. Don’t see much wrong with that. 

with a bit of sustained success And investment they could be a huge club, I live in a town 15 miles away and they have a massive fan base, Leeds itself is a great city with so much going on, it’s a great area to live. There are quite a few strong rumors of a take over and investment but as others have said I’d expect Bielsa to only make a handful of signings this summer, They certainly need a couple of strikers but I dont see them coming straight back down.

It seems a lot of the hate is based on their reputation in the 70s but that was 50 years ago now. Half those fans have probably pegged it. They have a large fan base and the games against United will add another scoop of spice that you wouldn’t get from the likes of Norwich, Fulham and Bournemouth. Would be nice if the odd away game made it to general sale too, although obviously our ticket office will take the minimum allocation.

28 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It seems a lot of the hate is based on their reputation in the 70s but that was 50 years ago now. Half those fans have probably pegged it. They have a large fan base and the games against United will add another scoop of spice that you wouldn’t get from the likes of Norwich, Fulham and Bournemouth. Would be nice if the odd away game made it to general sale too, although obviously our ticket office will take the minimum allocation.

Not that it particularly matters now, but I had two very bad experiences when we played Leeds in the 1979 FA cup semis - both legs, but the home game mainly. I was basically set upon and beaten to within an inch of my life, and only that a Leeds supporting couple dispersed their thugs that I got emergency attendance - was in hospital for a couple of weeks, and even now have the odd brain freeze.

Obviously a minority of the scum fans don't represent the club, but still it's now ingrained in my association with the club. No apology from the club or plod (who tried to blame me for the incident) - fractured scull and jumped on from behind, with several witnesses and yet it's my fault???

Despite all this, I wish them well (as long as they finish below us) and hope they have evolved to respectability?