Other games thread

Edmonton Saint

1 minute ago, trousers said:

We'll finish 1 point behind Arsenal if Watford can do a Villa on Sunday and we dispatch Sheff Utd. If only we'd turned up in the Arsenal game after the restart...

Eh, would have been nice, but I'm not complaining too much about how we've played since the restart. Especially compared to some other teams.

49 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

You know, the best thing about this game as Saints fans is knowing EXACTLY what the Villa fans will be feeling.

This is turning out to be an amazing relegation battle.

With us sitting comfortably in middle table I must say I am thoroughly enjoying this relegation battle. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

We'll finish 1 point behind Arsenal if Watford can do a Villa on Sunday and we dispatch Sheff Utd. If only we'd turned up in the Arsenal game after the restart...

or we hadn't conceded that last minute equaliser at the Emirates.

Just now, Dark Munster said:

With us sitting comfortably in middle table I must say I am thoroughly enjoying this relegation battle. 

Three points and one goal separating three teams for two relegation spots.

Could end up being an awesome watch on the last day.

They should put the 3 relegation games on after all the others. None of the teams they have to play will have their fate decided by playing at a different time so let's get the other games out the way and then sit down and enjoy it. 

7 minutes ago, The Cat said:

They should put the 3 relegation games on after all the others. None of the teams they have to play will have their fate decided by playing at a different time so let's get the other games out the way and then sit down and enjoy it. 

Everton are in an epic battle with us for 11th!

30 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

or we hadn't conceded that last minute equaliser at the Emirates.

That was particularly galling. We’d missed 2 sitters for 3-1 and during the last attack most of the Arsenal players were just jogging. Martinelli was the only one really trying and Lacazette almost begrudgingly put it into the net, such was the sulk they were having with Emery at the helm.

10 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Millions of pounds of prize money is up for grabs. If Saints draw and Everton play afterwards they would know they wouldn't need to win to stay above us and could settle for a draw.

Edited by Matthew Le God

40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Jesus, can you imagine! Angle for clubs to sue...?

I remember saying at the time Sheff United would have grounds to sue if they missed out on Europe, never thought it would actually have ramifications at the other end of the table!!

Has to be advantage Villa now - with a safe West Ham to play on the final day and only needing to better a shambles of a Watford sides result against Arsenal....

Villa staying up could be good next year, reckon they’ll be battling again, as will Sheffield United and the potential 2nd place/play off winners in the Championship 

59 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Jesus, can you imagine! Angle for clubs to sue...?

No more than any other incorrect decision I'd guess.

Difference is that we're used to GDS ALWAYS being right before. (Or at least not as obviously wrong.)

That's still a better record than when it was the referee assistant's job.

Just incredibly bad luck that the massively unlikely set of circumstances for it to get it wrong is also lining up with being a vital decision at the end of the season.

Villa also had that incident where they scored a last second winner at Palace but the ref had already blown his whistle for a Grealish ‘dive’ when he’d been fouled. Absolutely scandalous that was. They’ve been shafted a few times this season, I don’t think they’ll feel guilty for that goal against Sheffield United.

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

As long as the three relegation matches are at the same time.

Edited by Shroppie
Misunderstanding.

3 hours ago, Shroppie said:

There is still a dream scenario possible. If MU thrash WH 7-0 tonight, then both Villa and Watford win 3-0 on Sunday, WH go down with Bournemouth and Norwich.

Won't be placing a bet, but would be amazing.

Come on Manchester United! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shroppie said:

There is still a dream scenario possible. If MU thrash WH 7-0 tonight, then both Villa and Watford win 3-0 on Sunday, WH go down with Bournemouth and Norwich.

Won't be placing a bet, but would be amazing.

Was thinking this myself lol.

They're virtually safe, but it wouldn't take results that have never been seen before to send them down.

Chris Sutton & Dion Dublin we’re talking about relegation and reminded me of something I’d forgotten. Troy Deeney has in the past been very vocal about arsenal and their “softness”. Different manager but many of the same players. Both ex pros reckon footballers dislike shit like that and never ever forget it. They reckon Arsenal will love to relegate him come Sunday. 

"I have to watch what I say, but they lack a bit of cojones.“

"Whenever I play against Arsenal, I'll go up and think 'let me whack the first one and see who wants it’”.

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Chris Sutton & Dion Dublin we’re talking about relegation and reminded me of something I’d forgotten. Troy Deeney has in the past been very vocal about arsenal and their “softness”. Different manager but many of the same players. Both ex pros reckon footballers dislike shit like that and never ever forget it. They reckon Arsenal will love to relegate him come Sunday. 

"I have to watch what I say, but they lack a bit of cojones.“

"Whenever I play against Arsenal, I'll go up and think 'let me whack the first one and see who wants it’”.

It's definitely not gone unnoticed among the Arsenal fans I know. Bit weird of them, though, to pipe up about Deeney saying something that everyone else could see was clearly bang on the money at the time and to remind everyone about it when they put in a performance lacking any sort of stomach last night.

• Like 1

Big games in the Championship tonight. I really want Brentford to go up automatically but it seems they blew that in the last game. West Brom have QPR to play who have nothing to play for, and you’d think with their west London rivals Fulham and Brentford having something to play for, they’re hardly going to bust a gut to win that. I’d like Brentford and Fulham up but WBA will come up automatically. Hopefully one of the other two will come up via the playoffs. (Brentford really deserve it so cruel fate being what it is, it probably won’t be them. Shame as their new stadium is nearly ready and close to my workplace.)

At the bottom there are many permutations. I have no allegiance to them but I do hope Wigan stay up despite their 12 point deduction. They’ve been on a great run. I think Charlton will drop with Barnsley and Hull.

Oh, and as for Utd vs West Ham, I hope Utd smash them by a few goals. West Ham are probably safe because of their goal difference but a good smashing will at least make them feel uncomfortable going in to the last day. I will not be watching the gushing going on at the Liverpool match...

The bottom of the championship is interesting. There's Derby, Wednesday and Wigan all with substantial points deductions hanging over their heads, all of which change the makeup if they actually happen.

So, who gets relegated tonight may not be the final table! It will take weeks and weeks of lawyers and crap to sort this out, may only be just before the start of the season that clubs know what league they're in. Bit of a shambles really.

46 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The bottom of the championship is interesting. There's Derby, Wednesday and Wigan all with substantial points deductions hanging over their heads, all of which change the makeup if they actually happen.

So, who gets relegated tonight may not be the final table! It will take weeks and weeks of lawyers and crap to sort this out, may only be just before the start of the season that clubs know what league they're in. Bit of a shambles really.

Derby and Wednesday? What have they done?

Just now, bpsaint said:

Derby and Wednesday? What have they done?

Charged with various FFP breaches, largely relating to them selling their stadia to separate companies owned by the club owners for almost-certainly-inflated prices, which were basically the only reason those clubs managed to stay within the allowable loss figures. Derby seem to have a reasonable chance of avoiding punishment, they might get away with the valuation and they accounted for it properly.

Wednesday should be in a whole heap of trouble - having sold Hillsborough, they accounted for that sale in their accounts at the end of one season when Land Registry records show the sale took place at the start of the following one, and the company they sold it to wasn't formed until the latter period. Basically if they did sell it during the previous period, then they're probably OK - if they didn't sell it until the latter period, then they're in breach of FFP maximum losses for the three years up until the change of financial period (think it's up until 30th June 2018, to give an idea as to how long this has dragged on for!). They'd be on the hook for a points deduction of up to 12 points depending on how far over the allowable loss figure they fall, and if they're found guilty then there's the potential for a further 9 points for an "aggravated breach" because of the way they've tried to cover it up.

Just now, The Cat said:

Thought I read that any points deductions would be implemented next season?

Depends on the timing of the verdicts for the FFP issues, I think. League AGM is some time in August, so as long as it gets done before then, they'd probably be applied immediately. They certainly should be, anyway - as I said above, they've dragged on for at least 18 months.

Wigan's deduction will apply after tonight's games, subject to appeal, and I think it's an appeal they will likely win (or at least partially win).

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Dodgy deals selling their stadiums to their owners and leasing it back to the club to bypass FFP rules and cover huge losses.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Big FFP breaches. 

1 hour ago, stevegrant said:

Charged with various FFP breaches, largely relating to them selling their stadia to separate companies owned by the club owners for almost-certainly-inflated prices, which were basically the only reason those clubs managed to stay within the allowable loss figures. Derby seem to have a reasonable chance of avoiding punishment, they might get away with the valuation and they accounted for it properly.

Wednesday should be in a whole heap of trouble - having sold Hillsborough, they accounted for that sale in their accounts at the end of one season when Land Registry records show the sale took place at the start of the following one, and the company they sold it to wasn't formed until the latter period. Basically if they did sell it during the previous period, then they're probably OK - if they didn't sell it until the latter period, then they're in breach of FFP maximum losses for the three years up until the change of financial period (think it's up until 30th June 2018, to give an idea as to how long this has dragged on for!). They'd be on the hook for a points deduction of up to 12 points depending on how far over the allowable loss figure they fall, and if they're found guilty then there's the potential for a further 9 points for an "aggravated breach" because of the way they've tried to cover it up.

Wasn’t aware of any of this - what a ridiculous thing to do, did they think it would go unnoticed? 

Wigan have been in fantastic form since their point deduction was announced, seems that even if it’s applied this season it will make little difference and they will essentially escape any real punishment.

Edited by bpsaint

There's nothing like pressure. All that work for Brentford to climb to second, and then the minute they get there, they choke. Now on track to lose their last two critical games. Wouldn't back them to get through the play offs now.

Edited by CB Fry