Other games thread

Edmonton Saint

17 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Nope.

First season they changed it, it stopped us winning against Derby, and it's been that way since.

.....and that is right. There's no way an away goal in a domestic match is that valuable. To be honest I think they are ridiculous in European matches now too.

Well done Brentford by the way.

• Like 1

Personally I think any knockout game tied after 90 minutes should go straight to pens, with no away goals, replays or E.T. I find it daft when a team wins the home leg 1-0, then takes the lead in the away leg and the tie is effectively over, as the other team needs to score 3 to stay in it.

12 hours ago, CB Fry said:

.....and that is right. There's no way an away goal in a domestic match is that valuable. To be honest I think they are ridiculous in European matches now too.

Well done Brentford by the way.

There’s a case for it in European matches as a means of settling the tie without further debate.

Much better that the toss of a coin.

1 hour ago, rooney said:

I did not realise that Stuart Gray was a coach at Fulham until I saw him on Sky last night. Maybe we shall see him back at St Mary's next season?

I thought the same when I saw him  - in the Bees game the night before when they mentioned Dean Smith Villa boss being their manager after Warburton departed them bizarrely after seemingly doing so well.

Should be an interesting play off final - be surprised if it’s a cagey affair.

Fuck me, the BBC coverage of the cup final is so unprofessional. Ian Wright, shouting and jumping around like a demented idiot. It’s all lads down the pub vibe. I’m lucky enough to remember when Brian Moore had Cloughie, Big Mal, and others giving their views, not these frigging muppets. Like a pound shop Saint & Greavsie.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Congratulations to Weymouth for getting promoted to the Conference today! Another south coast team edging closer to overtaking Pompey...

Maybe Boscombe can invent a new rivalry. Could be another"derby" for them in a few years time.

1 hour ago, benjii said:

Pen wasn't a red because there was a covering defender?

Mush on touch line at halftime claimed the 4th official told the arsenal bench it was because he made an attempt for ball and under new rule was a yellow. He even went as far to say had it been out of box would have been red. 

I thought that was a decent final tbh.

Arsenal sure as hell do have their name on that Trophy most seasons, they have a habit of winning it.

As an aside, unlucky for Wolves who have no European football now. (Unless they win the EL of course!)

I have no sympathy for Chelsea at all.....for anything......ever...... but the sending off decision today was appalling. For a long time I have felt Anthony Taylor is not up to the job of refereeing top-flight matches and today proved the point. He gets a lot of "big" decisions wrong. He has been "corrected" by VAR a number of times. But he is not the only one, overall the standard of premiership referees is very poor and in my opinion, getting worse. They are ruining a number of matches with bad decisions. With 11 on the pitch the last half hour of today's final could have been really interesting but it knocked the stuffing out of Chelsea.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

I have no sympathy for Chelsea at all.....for anything......ever...... but the sending off decision today was appalling. For a long time I have felt Anthony Taylor is not up to the job of refereeing top-flight matches and today proved the point. He gets a lot of "big" decisions wrong. He has been "corrected" by VAR a number of times. But he is not the only one, overall the standard of premiership referees is very poor and in my opinion, getting worse. They are ruining a number of matches with bad decisions. With 11 on the pitch the last half hour of today's final could have been really interesting but it knocked the stuffing out of Chelsea.  

Totally agree. I'm also amazed that ponderous referees don't lean on VAR more. 

6 hours ago, Lets B Avenue said:

Especially as he was Cup-Tied. Came on as a 2nd half sub for us v Huddersfield.

Makes a mockery of the whole medal thing and surely devalues the medals of those who played a significant part in the match/tournament. They'll issue them to the ball-boy and the programme seller next (not that there are any of those around at the moment). Oh well, Cedric can add that to his Portugal Euro Winners medal on his mantle piece and tell his grandchildren he scored the winners (bullet headers no less) in both finals. No one will know.

6 hours ago, Shroppie said:

The PSG result was a perfect example of how 5 subs favours the big clubs. They had a ridiculously array of players on the bench.

That was heart-breaking for Atalanta. To be fair they didn't really deserve it on the 2nd half showing, whilst PSG huffed and puffed a bit Atalanta after about 55-60 mins had completely left the game to compete and were pretty much 2 banks of 5!

First half they were really good, they counter pressed in packs and got a lot of joy out of it. Then they probably just tired themselves out.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Great to see Leipzig through to the Semi's! Exciting team really, and a lot of credit has to go to Ralph for what he built there. Julian Nagglsman has taken it on to another level, but Ralph put down some great foundations there.

Founded in 2009. Mental.

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Great to see Leipzig through to the Semi's! Exciting team really, and a lot of credit has to go to Ralph for what he built there. Julian Nagglsman has taken it on to another level, but Ralph put down some great foundations there.

Skim read a piece on them on the BBC yesterday, didn't even mention RH's part I think.

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Skim read a piece on them on the BBC yesterday, didn't even mention RH's part I think.

If Ralph was now at City, Utd, Chelsea etc they'd all be chatting about his involvements with RBL, no doubts.

Keep him under the radar here, no problems with that!

Edited by S-Clarke

42 minutes ago, View From The Top said:

Julian Nagglsman was who I wanted to take over from RK.

It was obvious back then what a talent he was.

He'll be the next City manager IMHO.

There were some little links to him as well, I remember reading some articles where his odds were discussed, even after Claude went iirc. He was doing a great job at Hoffenhiem at that point too.

It's ok, we got the up and coming Pellegrino instead.

58 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

There were some little links to him as well, I remember reading some articles where his odds were discussed, even after Claude went iirc. He was doing a great job at Hoffenhiem at that point too.

It's ok, we got the up and coming Pellegrino instead.

Where you not entertained under 'Mauricio'?

"I am delighted that after a diligent selection process we have recruited Mauricio Pellegrino as our new First Team Manager.

We had an impressive list of candidates and went through a comprehensive interview process. Mauricio impressed us throughout with his depth of knowledge, motivation and ability, communicating this in a professional and passionate way.

Mauricio believes with the quality we have we can play exciting, attacking football, taking the game to our opponents by playing a high-intensity game. He will continue to develop and introduce young players whilst building on the core of experience that we have in the squad.

During the recruitment process Mauricio quickly became our first choice and, while he had other options, we are delighted he feels that St Mary’s is the right place for him and we believe he is the right fit for us

We are looking forward to working with Mauricio to take the club forward and achieve more success with this team."

I have to say watching Leipzig last night you could see a little thread of what Ralph is trying to get going with us. 

They certainly were very workman like, no frills but solid stuff, that Upamecano was impressive I get why he was mentioned in hope for us in transfer thread comments.

I cheered when that off target shot deflected in, pretty much because I just hate the squealing feigning at little or no contact Atletico must practice every Friday afternoon to get oppo players booked and sent off (thankfully the ref didn't buy much of it), every game its the same with them, but that same team a goal down suddenly ride every tackle instantly get up from the merest touch having acted like the sniper in the floodlights has taken them out. 

Tonights game could be interesting.