Our first eleven.

Pilchards

It’s pretty clear that Ralph knows his first eleven.
It’s also clear that we are not going to buy someone to walk straight into the team either as we don’t have that sort of money at the moment.

which squad players do you think could improve us?

I think Salisu for Stephens

Forster for McCarthy.

Boufal/Djenpo for Redmond

Also I reckon whoever our new midfielder is going to be will take Romeu’s place when he’s up to scratch.

9 hours ago, Pilchards said:

It’s also clear that we are not going to buy someone to walk straight into the team either as we don’t have that sort of money at the moment.

Forster for McCarthy.

Also I reckon whoever our new midfielder is going to be will take Romeu’s place when he’s up to scratch.

Aside from Crab Lungs already pulling you for Forster for McCarthy

Salisu for Stephens - green horn Premier league newbie youngster who none of us have seen play v experienced premier league defender just coming into the prime age window for centre backs. 
Actually why not start the season with Vestergaard and Salisu for the first 5 games - most of the knockers on here will soon realise that the Jack and Jan combination is far better than they are given credit for.

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

If he’s sorted out his feet plus Ralph rates him as our number one then yes I think he can be our number one.

IMHO McCarthy is not a great keeper.

He's 32, not sure he'll improve on the basics like that.

Have to join those disagreeing with you on this Pilchards. McCarthy may not be the ideal, but he's a few cuts above FF (imho of course).

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

He's 32, not sure he'll improve on the basics like that.

Have to join those disagreeing with you on this Pilchards. McCarthy may not be the ideal, but he's a few cuts above FF (imho of course).

Forster was the Number 1 sometime ago dont see why he cannot be Number 1 again

Because the last time he was number one, it was a horror show, whereas McCarthy does very little wrong and is a much more competent shot stopper, and given our defensive frailties, we now need a good shot stopper. Fonte, Alderweireld, Wanyama and Schneiderlin aren't in the team to protect Forster anymore. A good half year at Celtic doesn't make him good enough for us either, Elyounoussi looks good up there too.

47 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Aside from Crab Lungs already pulling you for Forster for McCarthy

Salisu for Stephens - green horn Premier league newbie youngster who none of us have seen play v experienced premier league defender just coming into the prime age window for centre backs. 
Actually why not start the season with Vestergaard and Salisu for the first 5 games - most of the knockers on here will soon realise that the Jack and Jan combination is far better than they are given credit for.

Apart from that Salisu is left side (left footed) so is more likely to replace or be backup for Bednarek/Vestegaard, although Bednarek is probably better on the right side. Unless Bednarek is off (which was a rumour a while back) think that Salisu will be backup.

Also can't see Boufal as replacement for Redmond, backup at best when we are desparate. Djenepo not sure.

4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Because the last time he was number one, it was a horror show, whereas McCarthy does very little wrong and is a much more competent shot stopper, and given our defensive frailties, we now need a good shot stopper. Fonte, Alderweireld, Wanyama and Schneiderlin aren't in the team to protect Forster anymore. A good half year at Celtic doesn't make him good enough for us either, Elyounoussi looks good up there too.

Regardless of those being in front of him, it wasn't solely down to them that in Forster's first season Saints had the 2nd best defensive record in the league (only champions Chelsea did better conceding one less). You don't only concede 33 goals in a Premier League season with a shit keeper, so Forster was clearly doing something right back then.

Edited by Matthew Le God

52 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Unless against Arsenal or W. Ham

5 minutes ago, waylander said:

Unless against Arsenal or W. Ham

All goalkeepers make mistakes. Ederson probably made more than McCarthy last season. McCarthy is definitely our best all round keeper (his kicking lets him down, that's about it) 

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

All goalkeepers make mistakes. Ederson probably made more than McCarthy last season. McCarthy is definitely our best all round keeper (his kicking lets him down, that's about it) 

ederson most definitely did not make more mistakes leading to goals than mccarthy. and definitely not the sort of mistakes mccarthy is prone to making, im guessing you missed the arsenal game

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

25 minutes ago, Maya's Dad said:

ederson most definitely did not make more mistakes leading to goals than mccarthy. and definitely not the sort of mistakes mccarthy is prone to making, im guessing you missed the arsenal game

This was posted on here a while back.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/error_lead_to_goal

I expect Ederson's cock ups were shown more widely in the media.

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

His kicking is far better than Forster's though, FF has difficulty keeping his kicks inside the confines of the pitch.  

If we sign Ajer then I think once he and Salisu are settled and up to speed, etc. I think our first team line-up is likely to be:

McCarthy

KWP     Salisu        Bednarek     Bertrand

JWP         Ajer     

Armstrong                Redmond

Adams        Ings

I think our bench will include Romeu, Stephens, Smallbone, Djenepo and Long.

As to reserve keeper I have no guess as to whether that will be Forster or Gunn.

The seventh sub will vary depending on the match, player fitness, form and desire to give younger players experience/motivation. Depending on who we sell, loan and retain, it will be out of Vokins, Valery, Boufal, Vestergaard, Obafemi, Slattery, McQueen (when fit) and any of the younger academy players, especially Jankewitz, Tella or N'lundulu.

Presumably Sims, Jones, O'Connor and Lewis might also be possibles for the bench if they do not go out on loan or get sold.

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
HTML displaying as code

5 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

His kicking is far better than Forster's though, FF has difficulty keeping his kicks inside the confines of the pitch.  

both are woeful kickers. Both make me nervous. McCarthy makes one or two outstanding saves. Forster doesn't.

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

it worked for us in the last 7 games of the season,

Joke is lost. When it appeared on my screen it appeared as a long long list of html code, not the text as now. It was a crap gag to begin with but I’ll get my coat anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

McCarthy is poor, but how would Forster sort out an issue he's had his whole career? He's just incredibly slow footed. It was there for all to see on his debut. He makes himself big, but his feet hold him back all the time. It's certainly not going to get better with age. 

I'd hoped we'd get someone better in but looks like it'll have to be next summer. McCarthy will cost us a few goals with his distribution and weird positioning, but he'll have some decent games and isn't a total disaster. 

Only positions up for grabs are centre back and CM. Salisu will come in at some point, and a new midfielder you'd imagine. But I doubt they have any issue starting with Romeu and JWP. Window is open ages yet. 

I do not agree that McCarthy is poor. Granted he is no Bufon or Nuer but the standard of English keepers is arguably lower than its been for a very long time. I would suggest this has been the downside of attracting the best players in  the world to the PL as (obviously) you only play one GK each game so fewer chances and therefore in time our GKs are pushed down the league and down the leagues to get games or sit on the bench! 

Overall I think we have 3 fairly decent GKs and the fact they are English is a bonus. We could do better but very unlikely we will.

We definitely need a defensive minded CM, in my opinion one of 20-30m type standard who goes straight into the team. Romeu is good but not getting younger and JWP is more forward thinking and not the holding type we need there. I cant say I know who!

CB looks better with Salisu and if RH can get Vestergaard to play well we will have some decent strength there.

I'd like a new winger/attacker type to replace Boufal. As much as I like him I dont think he's best suited to our style. Someone young but ready for 15 to 20 games and someone who can put Redmond under pressure. 

Overall I feel quite optimistic for the first time in 3 seasons!!

58 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I'd like a new winger/attacker type to replace Boufal. As much as I like him I dont think he's best suited to our style. Someone young but ready for 15 to 20 games and someone who can put Redmond under pressure. 

Djenpo ?

Yes it's a strange sense of optimism that we're not used to. 

On 30/08/2020 at 02:24, Pilchards said:

Forster for McCarthy.

IMHO

No. No. No.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

I do not agree that McCarthy is poor. Granted he is no Bufon or Nuer but the standard of English keepers is arguably lower than its been for a very long time. I would suggest this has been the downside of attracting the best players in  the world to the PL as (obviously) you only play one GK each game so fewer chances and therefore in time our GKs are pushed down the league and down the leagues to get games or sit on the bench! 

Overall I think we have 3 fairly decent GKs and the fact they are English is a bonus. We could do better but very unlikely we will.

We definitely need a defensive minded CM, in my opinion one of 20-30m type standard who goes straight into the team. Romeu is good but not getting younger and JWP is more forward thinking and not the holding type we need there. I cant say I know who!

CB looks better with Salisu and if RH can get Vestergaard to play well we will have some decent strength there.

I agree that we need a CM, but you're deluded if you think we have that amount of money to spend on one.

On 04/09/2020 at 18:50, The Cat said:

Boufal for Redmond? What games has Pilchards been watching? Must be completely different ones to the rest of the world. 

I think Redmond blows to hot and cold for my liking but the problem is Boufal is even more frustrating to watch.

I'm hoping Djenpo can step it up as IMHO that position is up for grabs.

Redmond is one of the first names on our team sheet, IMO Pilchards.

Whilst he can be guilty of sometimes going backwards, or running into blind ally's, he is absolutely perfect for a counter pressing style due to his acceleration and appetite to win the ball.

When he's 'on it', we often win pretty comfortably. Boufal is a completely different type of player and wouldn't offer us anywhere near the same threat and ability to stretch teams.