Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

Atwell is a dreadful ref. Stephens frustrating but some of the spoiled brats who can never accept losing a game without hanging it on someone. So depleted that wasn’t too bad an effort but limitations get exposed.

forgot how many go OTT when we don’t play superbly. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought KWP was poor, but....Justin pushed him up and stopped him attacking, Justin in particular had a really good game for Leicester, one of their better players. Barnes also kept him very busy, so he was rather subdued because of that. He had no real protection in front.

Theo was awful though, really, really bad unfortunately.

No he wasn’t although poor in second half.

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

It's criminal that we have, what, 15 first team players and then youngsters. I'm all for giving youth a chance but come on.

I doubt that's going to change a great deal given our finances! We have been hit quite badly though.

Redmond, Moussa, Romeu, Vestergaard, Salisu (lol), Ings, Obafemi

Add those players back to the squad and all of a sudden we have what could be considered a strong bench. Clubs of our size will automatically struggle if we lose that many first team players in one hit.

5 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Stephens and KWP were awful tonight.

The rest weren't much better. Although I did think Bertrand had a decent game.

Long shouldn't even be in consideration for Tuesday night, even League 1 is above his level. 

I disagree.  We were excellent to a man in the first half. Second half we weren't goof, which was largely down to Leicester stepping it up big style. We lost. No need to throw the whole side under the bus.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Atwell is a dreadful ref. Stephens frustrating but some of the spoiled brats who can never accept losing a game without hanging it on someone. So depleted that wasn’t too bad an effort but limitations get exposed.

forgot how many go OTT when we don’t play superbly. 

Complete agree. We have so many crucial players out and a bench full of kids yet played alright against a decent team and their ref. 

• Like 2

We were the better team in the first half, and Leicester in the second half. A draw wouldn't have been an unfair result. Given how many first teamers were out, I'm not overly disappointed or concerned with our performance. It's a half full glass for me.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought KWP was poor, but....Justin pushed him up and stopped him attacking, Justin in particular had a really good game for Leicester, one of their better players. Barnes also kept him very busy, so he was rather subdued because of that. He had no real protection in front.

Theo was awful though, really, really bad unfortunately.

Yes unfortunately theo offered nothing today gave it to Leicester players more than our own, for every decent game for Theo there's two where he's anonymous thats what you get 

9 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Ref cost us, simple as that. Chasing a game for 45 minutes when we were in control first half. 

This. He missed a foul that would have out us in possession. Leicester instead kept the ball and  the passage of play that followed led to a goal. So yes, he cost us.

Just now, badgerx16 said:

The difference was the 2 keepers - Macca beaten near the post where Schmeicel blocked the ball.

Sometimes rather than lambast our team, perhaps we should give some credit to our opponents.

Can't blame the keeper.

Leicester came out in the second half and pressed higher, closed the space, played more compact. We found it a real struggle to get space in the second half as they closed it down fairly quickly. Then we were forced to push higher ourselves, which meant we were leaving gaps...and they were exploiting that towards the end. Agree with other views, first half us, second half them. Even game all in, not too fussed. Onto the next one.

Just now, trousers said:

We were the better team in the first half, and Leicester in the second half. A draw wouldn't have been an unfair result. Given how many first teamers were out, I'm not overly disappointed or concerned with out performance. It's a half full glass for me.

Completely agree with this. Stuart was so unlucky with his shot that came back off the bar. Its a half full glass for me too :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Far too much whinging, We gave one of the best teams in the league a game away from home with out about 8 players. Second half wasn’t as good as we had kids on the bench and couldn’t change it. Get a grip you Fannies.

Most of those who argue in the lounge actually are more measured and agree about football

Edited by whelk

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Far too much whinging, We gave one of the best teams in the league a game away from home with out about 8 players. Second half wasn’t as good as we had kids on the bench and couldn’t change it. Get a grip you Fannies.

This

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Amen. We ran them ragged first half. We did everything we could, but they were too good on the day. Lots of positives to take from this game. We are so much better than two years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, badgerx16 said:

The difference was the 2 keepers - Macca beaten near the post where Schmeicel blocked the ball.

Sometimes rather than lambast our team, perhaps we should give some credit to our opponents.

Madison's shot was from about 3 yards away and he leathered it. McCarthy wouldn't have even seen it. On the other hand Scmeichel's save was quite comfortable. 

McCarthy's save from Vardy near the end was brilliant. Absolutely perfect technique. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I disagree.  We were excellent to a man in the first half. Second half we weren't goof, which was largely down to Leicester stepping it up big style. We lost. No need to throw the whole side under the bus.

Maybe I was slightly harsh and had the second half fresh in my mind.

Yes first half we we played well - Theo and Adams linked up well in particular. 

At the end of the day Leicester are a top 4 team now and we are behind them in that respect, so today's result isn't exactly surprising, especially given our limited options.

Wow, there are some incredibly dumb t***s on here tonight.  The abuse at Stephens is ridiculous and shows those posters up to be utter t***s of the highest order.

We played well first half and not so good 2nd half.  It's been a recurring theme for many games now that we offer very little in front of goal (1 goal in 5 games now).  Adams was excellent then ran out of gas.  Smallbone was having an excellent game and got injured.  

Anyone who thinks we will be splashing the cash to bring in reinforcements is deluded.  Where's the money going to come from?  

We could well have gotten a point - and that probably would have been the fair result.  Onwards and upwards - hopefully Adams and others will be given a rest ready for next weekends game.

It's a real concern how often Walcott gives it away and gives other teams to break away.  But then we don;t really have any other options at the moment.

• Like 5

Just now, whelk said:

FFS praising people for celebrating appropriately like it is some significant sacrifice that they can manage to do it. BT mentioned it enough times - so fucking what?

Yes, it's getting on my tits as well. Media have a new angle to attack/focus on at the moment.

This is all about the players setting an 'example', but it's all a bit waffle like as it makes no difference given that they're climbing over each other in game.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Madison's shot was from about 3 yards away and he leathered it. McCarthy wouldn't have even seen it. On the other hand Scmeichel's save was quite comfortable. 

McCarthy's save from Vardy near the end was brilliant. Absolutely perfect technique. 

This. McCarthy was excellent  Good to see someone actually assessing the game rather than trolling.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Yes, it's getting on my tits as well. Media have a new angle to attack/focus on at the moment.

This is all about the players setting an 'example', but it's all a bit waffle like as it makes no difference given that they're climbing over each other in game.

Surprised they didn't go on about out pre-match huddle. 

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

FFS praising people for celebrating appropriately like it is some significant sacrifice that they can manage to do it. BT mentioned it enough times - so fucking what?

‘Very important for the nation we can continue football- january is tough for people’

say the multimillionaires

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Maybe I was slightly harsh and had the second half fresh in my mind.

Yes first half we we played well - Theo and Adams linked up well in particular. 

At the end of the day Leicester are a top 4 team now and we are behind them in that respect, so today's result isn't exactly surprising, especially given our limited options.

Lots of room for improvement, but bring back Ings and we have a cutting edge up front and that relieves pressure on the defence. We are a mid table side punching well.

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

19 games played and our first away defeat since the opening game of the season. Pretty impressive stuff. 

(Apologies for posting perspective and pragmatism on an internet football forum)

Your right that’s very impressive only just realised that 

We struggle a lot when a team has the lead or is very organised, we seem to lack any guile to create chances against an organised side second half was another example of this.. 

I do think there was some positive signs from lndulu tonight .. should probably be ahead of Shane and tella now.. looks to have decent attributes and looked quite sharp tonight 

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

19 games played and our first away defeat since the opening game of the season. Pretty impressive stuff. 

(Apologies for posting perspective and pragmatism on an internet football forum)

away games aren't quite what they were, to be fair. Still, its a good record. Hopefully we can get a few senior players back and start scoring a few goals.

Just now, pimpin4rizeal said:

We struggle a lot when a team has the lead or is very organised, we seem to lack any guile to create chances against an organised side second half was another example of this.. 

I do think there was some positive signs from lndulu tonight .. should probably be ahead of Shane and tella now.. looks to have decent attributes and looked quite sharp tonight 

I agree, but perhaps you could learn his name. It's N'Lundulu.

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Complete agree. We have so many crucial players out and a bench full of kids yet played alright against a decent team and their ref. 

Exactly, compare cost of our bench to Leicester, not even a contest. I wondered if you'd still headed up the A34 stopping for an ice cream mate, Leicester away routine can't be missed.  I thought Big Willy Smallbone was excellent until his injury, seemed to win every challenge and very composed on the ball, shame to see him have to go off, with our luck he'll miss a few games now when we need him. 

We're not going to get near top 6 with our squad this season where positive tests and knocks are going to leave us short in a period where we're playing 3 games a week for the next month. 

Hope we have enough to get past Shrewsbury then go all out for it against Arsenal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

Exactly, compare cost of our bench to Leicester, not even a contest. I wondered if you'd still headed up the A34 stopping for an ice cream mate, Leicester away routine can't be missed.  I thought Big Willy Smallbone was excellent until his injury, seemed to win every challenge and very composed on the ball, shame to see him have to go off, with our luck he'll miss a few games now when we need him. 

We're not going to get near top 6 with our squad this season where positive tests and knocks are going to leave us short in a period where we're playing 3 games a week for the next month. 

Hope we have enough to get past Shrewsbury then go all out for it against Arsenal. 

I doubt we'll manage a strong team against Arsenal. It would be stupid to rush players back.

Just now, stknowle said:

Will have to look at again then it simply did not look like a foul to me but there is a groundswell of opinion on here that suggests I’m wrong. 

There are a couple of fouls in there in my opinion. Leicester certainly got away with that.

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Why are people so intent of throwing vile abuse Stephens way? Does he really deserve being called what he's being called?

He's improved massively under Ralph, but he has always been limited. He is always beaten by the turn, or pace, or skill. Backs to the walls/blocks etc, passing out from the back, decent and he's improved in that element. But against genuine quality/pace our CB's aren't really up to it, Jan is better...but still weak in those situations.

Because we can express an opinion harshly or not, dosent make us more or less passionate about what we write or in the manner of the words we display dose it?

• Like 1