Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

So, 11 days between games now that the Shrewsbury match has been postponed / cancelled...  

Are we to assume Romeu, Adams and Redmond will be fit to play by 16th? Too soon for Vestergaad? Wonder if Gray will be 'rested' for them....?

Fancy our chances in this one.

Edited by trousers

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

So, 11 days between games now that the Shrewsbury match has been postponed / cancelled...  

Are we to assume Romeu, Adams and Redmond will be fit to play by 16th? Too soon for Vestergaad? Wonder if Gray will be 'rested' for them....?

Fancy our chances in this one.

Will McCarthy be available, and fit to play? 

These fixtures seem to suit us better, because as already mentioned, they will attack us. Which, is why I am looking forward to the Leeds fixture that follows too. It is a comparable fixture to the Everton and Aston Villa matches, who were the form teams when we faced them and we made easy work of both, despite a brief stoppage time scare against Villa after going 4-0 up.

McCarthy, KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand, Diallo, JWP, Armstrong, Walcott, Adams, Ings.

Subs: Forster, Salisu, Valery, Vokins, Romeu, Smallbone, Tella, N'Lundulu, Long. 

Obviously McCarthy, Romeu and Salisu's inclusions are dependent on whether they've recovered in time. Presume Vestergaard and Redmond will still be out.  

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

The FA Cup tie in 2006 when Kenwyne Jones scored a late winner?

It will also mark 20 years and 37 days since the Swedish David Beckham announced his arrival in England with his first goals here in a 4-0 saints win at Filbert Street. Surely this will Get a mention.

7 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Can we play diallo Romeu.. and jwp a little further forward in the hole .. ? Would love to see prowsey in that role ..think he has that in his locker !!

Why? He's be brilliant for the last season or so in his current role. If anything Diallo has shown, albeit in late sub appearances he can play a bit further forward effectively. Makes no sense to take one of our best and most influential players out of their position.

11 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why? He's be brilliant for the last season or so in his current role. If anything Diallo has shown, albeit in late sub appearances he can play a bit further forward effectively. Makes no sense to take one of our best and most influential players out of their position.

Whilst I wouldn't want to disrupt our midfield to do this, at some point we'll have to play Diallo and Romeu together in the middle. Romeu sitting will allow Diallo to break forward and run between the lines which he's shown he can. Whether Diallo or JwP would be the better 10 we don't yet know, but for me JwP could play the role at least as well as Armstrong and his passing ability in that role could well lead to more goal chances. 

13 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Hope someone snaps Vardy in half. Also I wonder what the commentators will be talking about for the entire match 🙄

No need to wonder, there's only one thing for them to talk about - the last time we played each other where we beat them 2-1!

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

I share your concerns, but with Redmond & Djenepo both likely to be out, we are on our bare bones. So if we get an injury or need to shake things up I think that it is worth considering .....   I would be worried that it could have a negative impact on JWP - being shuffled around from position to position again, he may be less effective further forward etc etc, but sometimes you have to make difficult decisions. 

I don't see Diallo playing further forward though. I see him more as someone who retrieves the ball and gives it to one of our players (similar to Romeu rather than JWP who possesses more creativity). 

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

It will also mark 20 years and 37 days since the Swedish David Beckham announced his arrival in England with his first goals here in a 4-0 saints win at Filbert Street. Surely this will Get a mention.

That games was in December 2001

3 hours ago, egg said:

Whilst I wouldn't want to disrupt our midfield to do this, at some point we'll have to play Diallo and Romeu together in the middle. Romeu sitting will allow Diallo to break forward and run between the lines which he's shown he can. Whether Diallo or JwP would be the better 10 we don't yet know, but for me JwP could play the role at least as well as Armstrong and his passing ability in that role could well lead to more goal chances. 

50 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I share your concerns, but with Redmond & Djenepo both likely to be out, we are on our bare bones. So if we get an injury or need to shake things up I think that it is worth considering .....   I would be worried that it could have a negative impact on JWP - being shuffled around from position to position again, he may be less effective further forward etc etc, but sometimes you have to make difficult decisions. 

I don't see Diallo playing further forward though. I see him more as someone who retrieves the ball and gives it to one of our players (similar to Romeu rather than JWP who possesses more creativity). 

I dont disagree with any of what either of you had said, just in my mind i think it's less disruption to the team to move one player rather than two or three and also to play your best players in their best positions. JWP has been brilliant for the last year in his role, Dont disagree with Egg he could play the Armstrong role too but he really makes us tick in his role now. Either way It's a good problem to have, 3 very good players for two positions who all deserve to start

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I’m trying ways to fit all 3 amazing midfielders into the team without dropping diallo or Romeu.. that was my thought .. or yes both could do that role but would like to see if jwp could engineer that position making him more versatile if he is picked for England in the summer 

2 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

I’m trying ways to fit all 3 amazing midfielders into the team without dropping diallo or Romeu.. that was my thought .. or yes both could do that role but would like to see if jwp could engineer that position making him more versatile if he is picked for England in the summer 

Who do you drop to fit him in?

1 hour ago, Chris cooper said:

Seeing as we will have 8 or 9 games* in the 4 weeks after and including the Leicester game I'm sure that all 3 will get their chance at some stage. 

I think that the proven partnership of JWP and Romeu will be Ralphs first choice for most matches. Diallo will get his chance when rotation is needed, potential injuries, tiredness or if Ralph feels that he better suits the way of playing against a particular opposition.

* Depending on progression in the FA cup

19 minutes ago, igsey said:

It will be interesting, Romeu v Diallo - Romeu is one of Ralph's favourites, particularly since Hojbjerg kicked up a stink last year, but we beat Liverpool and Ralph rarely changes a winning team.

I'd stick with Diallo. With the game against Leeds the following Wed, that's the perfect time to start Romeu.

18 hours ago, austsaint said:

Diallo has to keep his place - JWP keeps his.  Where does that leave Romeu?

Would be shocked if Romeu doesn't come straight back in, unless his injury is not completely cleared. One of our best players this season, and best in the PL according to some metrics. Ralph likes to keep partnerships together (Romeu/JWP) as much as possible, and while he also doesn't like changing a winning team, he does when someone has dropped out through injury. Diallo looks good (I don't quite go with some of the rave reviews of the Liverpool game, second half especially I really wish we had OR in there), and actually think he suits the JWP position more than the Romeu one (but can't see JWP being dropped).

Romeu against Leicester to use his experience and strength against Maddison. 

Diallo for Leeds, which will require extra mobility. 

It is fantastic to have three brilliant options which is needed in a congested season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, egg said:

We should keep the Romeu / JWP partnership going come what may, it is the engine room of our team. Diallo's outstanding performance against the BDs means he should be included in the starting XI. The obvious swap is for Armstrong who has struggled of late and needs some time out.

RH could also try a 4-3-3

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We should keep the Romeu / JWP partnership going come what may, it is the engine room of our team. Diallo's outstanding performance against the BDs means he should be included in the starting XI. The obvious swap is for Armstrong who has struggled of late and needs some time out.

I think the time will come, if it hasn’t already, that we need to switch up the 10’s. Diallo is neat and tidy and can run with the ball from deep slightly upfield. In the 10 position you need to be more creative than neat and tidy, and the running is in different areas. Whether he has it in his locker I have no idea. I think JwP has a lot to offer in that position although I take your point that the Romeu/ JwP combo should be our first choice CM pairing.

There’s a lot of games and I suspect we’ll see a few permutations but the fact that we’re talking which combinations of players to use shows how far we’ve come under Ralph, and what good options we have. Nice. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

RH could also try a 4-3-3

Thought Armstrong had a great game against Liverpool. Also, pretty certain we’re not going to change formation any time soon. 

I’d bring Romeu back in. Diallo was brilliant against Liverpool but Romeu has been brilliant all season. 

• Like 4

Walcott's versatility gives us options, but if Adams is fit, it's safe to assume that he and Ings will start up front. That surely then means Theo and Armstrong as number tens with Romeu and JWP playing while Diallo misses out very unluckily. 

Unless there are any more injuries or positive Covid tests, we should only be missing Vestergaard from our strongest 11. I can see us winning in Leicester for the second season running, so long as no-one does anything silly (including the ref). 

36 minutes ago, Brumsaint said:

Walcott's versatility gives us options, but if Adams is fit, it's safe to assume that he and Ings will start up front. That surely then means Theo and Armstrong as number tens with Romeu and JWP playing while Diallo misses out very unluckily. 

Unless there are any more injuries or positive Covid tests, we should only be missing Vestergaard from our strongest 11. I can see us winning in Leicester for the second season running, so long as no-one does anything silly (including the ref). 

If we did win it would be the third season in a row. Surprisingly, since winning the Championship Leicester have not beaten us at their place.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

The Leeds game is on 20th January

https://www.southamptonfc.com/fixtures/2020-21

It was originally scheduled for the 12th. When they did January TV schedule they left half of the Premier league fixtures this week and moved half to the following week. Annoying as it turns out would have suited us better to play this week. 

16 hours ago, JRM said:

It was originally scheduled for the 12th. When they did January TV schedule they left half of the Premier league fixtures this week and moved half to the following week. Annoying as it turns out would have suited us better to play this week. 

Thanks for the update. My fixture lists will be changed.

On 09/01/2021 at 12:49, Kenilworthy said:

If we did win it would be the third season in a row. Surprisingly, since winning the Championship Leicester have not beaten us at their place.

And conversely, I remember when we had our run of horrendous home form, at one point Leicester had won more games at St Marys that year (2018 was it?) than we had!

It's a huge game for both sides. Both will see a win as validating their ambitions for the rest of the season, primarily pushing for a top 4 place. A defeat and expect either set of supporters to overreact and say they are no better than a mid table plodder. 

My gut tells me we will cancel each other out and draw. Both teams struggle a little bit to score from open plays and neither will want to lose. It's gone under the radar because of United's ridiculous circumstances, but Leicester have seriously been boosted by penalties this season. 8 scored penalties already, which is 38% of their total goals. And that's with a couple missed as well. Not sure how it is managed to go so under the radar as that is pretty huge numbers considering we are 17 games into the season. In contrast we are near the bottom for penalties conceded so I feel our defenders are generally making good decisions around the box to prevent penalties.

Where I think we hold an edge is our own set pieces. We are more likely to get more corners and freekicks around then they are a penalty. We have the best set piece taker in the league this season and Leicester have been one of the worst sides at defending set pieces this season. I think it's something like 7 goals they've conceded from corners this season + more from general set pieces like against Newcastle. The game could be similar to Liverpool in that we score from a set piece and then defend like mad. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic