Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

it will be without doubt the main feature of the build up. then without failure mentioned several times during the game. 

17 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

It's not a matter of if, but when. I wonder how long it will take them to mention that result? Quicker than Shane Long's goal?

Edited by Maya's Dad

16 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

We have won 2-1 at Leicester for the past two seasons.

I cant see us winning three in a row unfortunately!!

surely more reason to believe we will win again!?!?

their home form is really bad and nothing compared to their away form. a win is definitely not out of the question

Just the type of game we’d stuff up as a win would (a) solidify our place chasing the leaders and (b) it would really hack off Lineker and assorted pundits. Not sure either team would play for a draw but maybe 1-1...think they’ll nick a late goal for 2-1 though.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
spellcheck

Looking at the results tonight with Man United and Everton winning  i expect comfortable wins for Spurs and Man City tomorrow, the top 6 are starting to pull away a bit and I can see the gap growing for us with the tough run of fixtures we're about to have. Likely we'll be down to 9th in the table by kick off Saturday night, weird in what feels like a successful season but a good reality check. 

10 hours ago, JRM said:

Looking at the results tonight with Man United and Everton winning  i expect comfortable wins for Spurs and Man City tomorrow, the top 6 are starting to pull away a bit and I can see the gap growing for us with the tough run of fixtures we're about to have. Likely we'll be down to 9th in the table by kick off Saturday night, weird in what feels like a successful season but a good reality check. 

Although I do agree, if you look at it from the other way, we're a decent side this season. and we play:

• Leicester (A) - who haven't been great at home
  • Leeds (A) - leak goals and promoted side
  • Arsenal (H) - we were the better side at their place, and they're well beatable
  • Villa (H) - Good side this year, but already beaten them away
  • Man Utd (A) - Difficult game
  • Newcastle (A) - they're pretty woeful this season, and don't score
  • Wolves (A) - Poor since Jiminez has been out

You can make a case for us to win all of the above games, apart from maybe Utd away.  If we can get 7-10 points in the next 4 games, we're still set up nicely for a free hit up at Man Utd, and then two very winnable away games

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Although I do agree, if you look at it from the other way, we're a decent side this season. and we play:

• Arsenal (H) - we were the better side at their place, and they're well beatable

You can make a case for us to win all of the above games, apart from maybe Utd away.  If we can get 7-10 points in the next 4 games, we're still set up nicely for a free hit up at Man Utd, and then two very winnable away games

I think even when you look at the Utd away game, while they're top of the league they certainly don't look invincible. What has made this season extremely interesting is (apart from the bottom 3 or 4) everyone is capable or has taken points against sides you wouldn't expect them too. 

As the season progresses and the bottom sides get desperate, they often start getting shock results too, there's a long way to go. 

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think a lot depends on injuries, who we can keep fit and who doesn't get sidelined with Covid, and whether we have adequate stand ins. We lost Ings, we suffered for a few games with not scoring. But we lost Vestergaard and, worried as we were, Stephens stepped in and has been very good. A lot of those games 'could go either way' and 7 points (while it's a point-a-game relegation form) wouldn't be a bad haul. 9-12 would be more my guess but then I thought we'd lose heavily to Liverpool!

Leicester - X, Leeds - X, Arsenal - L, Villa - W, United - L, Newcastle - W or possibly X if they play 11 defenders, Wolves - W. Yeah 9-12 points. Anything more would be amazing and would set us up nicely for a European push.

I’ve heard we’ve had another positive COVID test from a key player since Liverpool... anyone else heard anything? If true I suppose it depends how long ago the test was and how many other players it might have spread to 😬

2 hours ago, CWD said:

I’ve heard we’ve had another positive COVID test from a key player since Liverpool... anyone else heard anything? If true I suppose it depends how long ago the test was and how many other players it might have spread to 😬

Ralph presser at 2pm so will find out then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CWD said:

I’ve heard it’s Ings but could be wrong.

Just now, DT said:

Vestergard still out with his knee injury the precise nature of which we're still not sure about

Here's hoping this doesn't turn into one of those "he'll be back in 4 weeks" but then drags out for months without knowing what's occuring scenarios... 

1 minute ago, DT said:

oof. And Vestergard still out with his knee injury the precise nature of which we're still not sure about. Leicester will be a very tough ask.

You missed all the stuff about fluid on the knee then.

If only Ings is out with Covid following the Liverpool game and the goal celebrations then we can probably count ourselves quite fortunate. Blackmore doesn't rule him out completely. I did wonder when all the fuss was going on about the Shrews FA Cup tie whether there was something going on at Saints that was making a resolution less simple than it might otherwise have been. People were flinging stones at Shrewsbury ignoring our glass houses.

1 minute ago, igsey said:

So with no Ings, Obafemi or Redmond available I would assume either Long or Tella will start against Leicester?

Tella injured as well. Probably start with Adams and Walcott up top.

Having said that, with Redmond and Djenepo both unavailable, who do we pair with Armstrong in the AM roles? Perhaps move JWP up and play Diallo alongside Romeu?

Sounds like a right headache for Ralph?

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Is Romeu definitely back for this game? IIRC, his estimated return date was 16th Jan so I guess we assume he's OK given there's no mention of him in the pre-match squad news article?

Not mentioned in the presser, so maybe not recovered. If so the 9 on the bench will probably be Forster, Valllery, Voikins.,Ramsey, Jankewitz, Kegger, Smallbone, Ferry,  Long  with Ndululu  starting up front.  A bit light on experience! 

So, if Ralph sticks to not playing people out of position (e.g. not pushing JWP or Diallo into more advanced positions), I guess we're looking at something like this....

McCarthy

KWP - Bednarek - Stephens - Bertrand

JWP - Romeu / Diallo

Armstrong - Walcott

Adams - Long / N'Lundulu

Bench: Forster, Vokins, Valery, Ramsay / Salisu (?), Romeu / Diallo / Jankewitz, Chauke, Smallbone, Ferry / Watts / Robsie (?!), Long / N'Lundulu, 

Edited by trousers

50 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Given Ings is expected back in training tomorrow (according to Ralph) and assuming that he hasn't actually suffered too much in terms of symptoms, I would at least put him on the bench for Leicester, after all we don't have another PL game for 10 days.

Is that allowed? Is the team (Saints) effectively Ings' bubble, and therefore mixing with another team verboten? Hope he's allowed, obvs. Just wondering.

30 minutes ago, trousers said:

So, if Ralph sticks to not playing people out of position (e.g. not pushing JWP or Diallo into more advanced positions), I guess we're looking at something like this....

McCarthy

KWP - Bednarek - Stephens - Bertrand

JWP - Romeu / Diallo

Armstrong - Walcott

Adams - Long / N'Lundulu

Bench: Forster, Vokins, Valery, Ramsay, Romeu / Diallo / Jankewitz, Chauke, Smallbone, Ferry / Watts / Robsie (?!), Long / N'Lundulu, 

Mind you, if he did nudge Diallo in beside Armstrong and then Walcott alongside Adams, it could be a bit stronger 🤷🏻‍♂️

11 minutes ago, DT said:

Is that allowed? Is the team (Saints) effectively Ings' bubble, and therefore mixing with another team verboten? Hope he's allowed, obvs. Just wondering.

If he tested positive either on the day of the Liverpool game or (more likely) the day after (5th January) then his 10-day isolation period should be up today/tomorrow. Whether there are further FA-enforced rules that would stop him being involved, I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Is Romeu definitely back for this game? IIRC, his estimated return date was 16th Jan so I guess we assume he's OK given there's no mention of him in the pre-match squad news article?

Romeu defo fit again according to Hampshire Live's write-up of the press conference...

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-che-adams-injury-news-4888860?a=

image.png

• Like 2

I'd start N'Lundulu up top with Adams - He impressed me when he came on against Liverpool. I'd also keep Walcott out wide to offer a bit of pace as I think we'd be a bit one dimensional if we had Diallo and Armstrong in those positions. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'd start N'Lundulu up top with Adams - He impressed me when he came on against Liverpool. I'd also keep Walcott out wide to offer a bit of pace as I think we'd be a bit one dimensional if we had Diallo and Armstrong in those positions. 

Diallo can't be left out. Play him in preference to Armstrong for the first 60 mins. Walcott on the left.

Agree with you about Walcott, when he plays up top his against-the-ball aggression and energy are wasted even 'though he's a natural goal scorer.

We don't seem to have any option other than to play N'Lundulu with Adams. Hobson's choice really.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic