Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

15 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Just for fun to while away the time - what have folk got on the menu for their pre match meal tonight.

In the JBS house - Chinese has been selected and will be collected in a minute, washed down with Thatchers Katy single fruit Cider.

Salmon and prawn pasta bake with a decent Sauv Blanc. Prepared with my own fair hands. The pasta. I only opened the wine.

• Like 1

Hmm, once again a very young and inexperienced bench but I think I said that before the Liverpool game as well.

Apart from Smallbone the starting line-up is fine and the main reservation I have about him is his physicality.  At least Long isn't a starter, so let's hope all our worst fears are not realised!

9 minutes ago, sad saints fan said:

Back 4 stays the same . Diallo and JWP . good center midfield . Armstrong smallbone wide Che and theo up front , Where is the problem?

For me Smallbone. Also bench is horrendously weak but hey Ho let’s see how we crack on.

Just now, warsash saint said:

'then we dug in and defended for our lives the rest of the game.' With the same back 4 but OK!

We did indeed, but we are lacking Ings now. 

We can still get a result but it's not surprising people aren't optimistic when our bench has more youth teamers than players that have made premier league appearances. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

So we're missing Ings, Romeu, Redmond, Tella, Vest, Djenepo, Salisu and Ramsey (unless Tchapet is above him). Blimey.

Is it only Ings with Covid? 

If we avoid defeat with that absentee list then we have done an incredible job. 

Reckon JWP will be winding Vardy up tonight.

2 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Does anyone rate Smallbone? 

Yes, but I wouldn't play him in our system. He's too lightweight as 1 of 2 in midfield, and hasn't got enough pace or skill as a 10. I said that about Ward-Prowse once though, as did many others. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

If we avoid defeat with that absentee list then we have done an incredible job. 

Reckon JWP will be winding Vardy up tonight.

Absolutely. Starting 11 is OK though. A bench full of kids was OK against Liverpool though. 

I thought Ralf might give N'Lundulu the nod, but I am looking forward to seeing what Smallbone can do against what is a very good side.

We got our tactics absolutely spot on last time we played them. Need to do so again, as they are very dangerous on the break and have guile on the ball too.

COYR

Down to the bare bones due to all the injuries sadly so probably best we could put out.

I’d have started Long but at the same time excited for Smallbone I hope he grabs this chance tonight!

As for the dinner question- a club sandwich for me washed down with some gin & tonics tonight!

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Yes, but I wouldn't play him in our system. He's too lightweight as 1 of 2 in midfield, and hasn't got enough pace or skill as a 10. I said that about Ward-Prowse once though, as did many ot

3 minutes ago, Colwinston Saints said:

Why? A player who’s clearly not up to it out of position versus a young lad who’s clearly good enough 

Not from what I've seen which granted is only a handful of games. 

3 minutes ago, Colwinston Saints said:

Why? A player who’s clearly not up to it out of position versus a young lad who’s clearly good enough 

What has Smallbone shown that makes you think he's clearly good enough? Valery has turned in good performances in the past, admittedly alongside bad ones but that was at a time when Vestergaard, JWP and others looked awful as well. And against Liverpool he looked to have something about him in that position. 

Smallbone has been completely anonymous every single time I've seen him play. 

• Like 1

Such a tight league this year that we could be 4th (if we win 2-0 or better) or 9th (lose 4-0 or worse) tonight. I'd have taken 9th on 29 points after 18 games at the start of the season. 4th on 32 points I wouldn't have believed possible.

It'll be tough tonight with so many important players missing, but I still fancy us to give a good account of ourselves. I certainly won't be doom-mongering if we do get beat.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic