Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'd start N'Lundulu up top with Adams - He impressed me when he came on against Liverpool. I'd also keep Walcott out wide to offer a bit of pace as I think we'd be a bit one dimensional if we had Diallo and Armstrong in those positions. 

I can't say I've seen anything to make me think he's any more likely to score than Shane Long to be honest, or hold the ball up and give us an out let , hopefully given the chance young Dan will prove me wrong but I don't think he'll worry Premier league defences. 

These injuries are dragging on a bit aren't they. We haven't missed big Jannik so much in defence but we do miss the goal scoring presence in the box on set pieces. How much have we paid Salisu since his arrival? Strange bit of business even as one for the future. 

What actually is Redmonds injury? Being described as "long term" along with Djenepo doesn't sound good going into a busy run of games. 

19 minutes ago, JRM said:

I can't say I've seen anything to make me think he's any more likely to score than Shane Long to be honest, or hold the ball up and give us an out let , hopefully given the chance young Dan will prove me wrong but I don't think he'll worry Premier league defences. 

These injuries are dragging on a bit aren't they. We haven't missed big Jannik so much in defence but we do miss the goal scoring presence in the box on set pieces. How much have we paid Salisu since his arrival? Strange bit of business even as one for the future. 

What actually is Redmonds injury? Being described as "long term" along with Djenepo doesn't sound good going into a busy run of games. 

He hasn't looked like scoring but correct me if I'm wrong, he's come on as a sub against Man City and Liverpool this season. Not exactly the easiest of games to make a goal scoring impression.

He actually held it up quite well when he came on against Liverpool - more than can be said of Shane Long against Fulham where the ball just wouldn't stick. Might as well blood a youngster rather than persist with someone who turns in poor performances every time he's given a chance. 

Sounds like Redmond has a hamstring injury caused by an ongoing problem with his Hips. 

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

He hasn't looked like scoring but correct me if I'm wrong, he's come on as a sub against Man City and Liverpool this season. Not exactly the easiest of games to make a goal scoring impression.

He actually held it up quite well when he came on against Liverpool - more than can be said of Shane Long against Fulham where the ball just wouldn't stick. Might as well blood a youngster rather than persist with someone who turns in poor performances every time he's given a chance. 

Sounds like Redmond has a hamstring injury caused by an ongoing problem with his Hips. 

Well if Redmond put in a cross or two at the right moment then he wouldnt need to slam on the breaks twist and turn thus jarring his hips, and then maybe we have a player capable of providing more assists?

• Like 1

Under normal conditions (I.e. Ings available) we would match up to Leicester well and it would be a close game, with every chance of us getting a win...probably 0-1. That’s not how I see this one going unfortunately...think they’ll have too much and we’ll struggle to score so think it’s 2-0. Hope Che and Theo step up and the supply to them is of high value.

16 hours ago, trousers said:

So, if Ralph sticks to not playing people out of position (e.g. not pushing JWP or Diallo into more advanced positions), I guess we're looking at something like this....

McCarthy

KWP - Bednarek - Stephens - Bertrand

JWP - Romeu / Diallo

Armstrong - Walcott

Adams - Long / N'Lundulu

Bench: Forster, Vokins, Valery, Ramsay / Salisu (?), Romeu / Diallo / Jankewitz, Chauke, Smallbone, Ferry / Watts / Robsie (?!), Long / N'Lundulu, 

I think that's what Ralph will plump for, however from what I've seen of Diallo, I reckon he could play an Armstrong role if needed. So it would be possible to see a front four of Diallo, Armstrong, Walcott, Adams. Not that I think that will happen, though it will be a shame to drop Diallo after a great performance.

We didn't concede against the best attack in the division last match, so hopefully we can keep it tight against Vardy and co. The biggest questions are over our ability to score goals without Ings. I'd be tempted to take a draw.

37 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I think Ralph was deliberately being coy about Ings to keep Leicester guessing. If he's back training today then he should travel at least to Leicester surely 

That might be right. Ings was being cuddled by everyone after his goal against the BDs so if he has or has had Covid, by the law of averages one or two of his colleagues would be showing symptoms by now. Yes, he tested positive but was it a false positive? 

I suppose they see Ings in the same way that we see Vardy, a bloody nuisance who has to be watched all the time. No doubt they would prefer that he doesn't play

1 hour ago, LeG said:

If Ings showed no symptoms, and used his home gym / treadmill, there is every chance he will be up top tomorrow with Adams. 

He has to provide a negative test before returning to the training ground today. He has completed the required isolation period but the negative test is the critical step, he might still be infectious even after the mandatory isolation period. 

We have a very good chance to gain three more points here. Their defenders are suspect and the only threat is the 'Vardy dive'. Watch his elbows and snide little digs.Control him  and we control the game. I see that the Great Pundit is predicting that we lose. Lets give him  yet another kick in the teeth by thrashing them and remind them that this time we will play with eleven men unlike the infamous  loss some time ago. Che Adams is due to excel and four goals against the Foxes will be icing on the cake. COYS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

He has to provide a negative test before returning to the training ground today. He has completed the required isolation period but the negative test is the critical step, he might still be infectious even after the mandatory isolation period. 

I'm not sure that's correct? You don't have to prove you no longer have it, the contagious period is over.  Hopefully we don't get any more positives in the next round of tests though, squad is struggling as it is. 

If Ings does feature (along with Alex McCarthy) it provides a refreshing reminder that for most people this illness isn't really anything to fear or worry about whilst we're locked up in our homes full of anxiety watching the news. Being a 8pm kick off I assume the squad isn't travelling until tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I'm not sure that's correct? You don't have to prove you no longer have it, the contagious period is over.  Hopefully we don't get any more positives in the next round of tests though, squad is struggling as it is. 

Well, its what Ralph basically said. It is the process that the PL have put in place.

9 minutes ago, bertie said:

Was this game always on BT? I had a feeling it was on Sky Sports.

It’s on BT tomorrow, which is all that matters. Whether I shall be allowed to hog the tele for two hours on a Saturday night is another matter. I have fallbacks but one is cold and the other uncomfortable.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bertie said:

Shrewsbury’s on BT too. I can’t justify having multiple subscriptions - Sky costs me a King’s Ransom as it is.

BT do a monthly pass for £25 if that’s any good. Seems a bit steep to me but there again I’m one of the mugs who has the full set on Virgin Media.

6 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Yes, my son tested positive the day after he came out of a correctly observed self isolation.

25 minutes ago, Medrurkin said:

Yes, my son tested positive the day after he came out of a correctly observed self isolation.

As long as the 10 day isolation period has been completed and there is no fever present then there is no need to get another test other than for peace of mind. The chances of being contagious after this period are extremely low and it seems like this is where false positives are being picked up.

Hence why the originally positive Shrewsbury players do not have to receive a negative test before they are cleared to play. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

56 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

As long as the 10 day isolation period has been completed and there is no fever present then there is no need to get another test other than for peace of mind. The chances of being contagious after this period are extremely low and it seems like this is where false positives are being picked up.

Hence why the originally positive Shrewsbury players do not have to receive a negative test before they are cleared to play. 

One of the problems of Covid is people generating fake news, such as this. The PL rules say a negative test has to be given before a player can return. See quote below:

In line with Premier League COVID-19 rules, a player who has tested positive for the virus can return to action once they have served their period of quarantining and then return a negative coronavirus test result.

You can definitely still be contagious after 10 days of quarantine, that's why 14 day's has been the norm in other contexts. Danny will have had to provide a neg test before he is allowed to rejoin the bubble. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

One of the problems of Covid is people generating fake news, such as this. The PL rules say a negative test has to be given before a player can return. See quote below:

In line with Premier League COVID-19 rules, a player who has tested positive for the virus can return to action once they have served their period of quarantining and then return a negative coronavirus test result.

You can definitely still be contagious after 10 days of quarantine, that's why 14 day's has been the norm in other contexts. Danny will have had to provide a neg test before he is allowed to rejoin the bubble. 

It's not fake news as I'm not talking about the premier league - I know full well they have different rules to everyone else. 

I presume Shrewsbury are following the rules that the Government use - the rules that I outlined above. 

As I said, as long as you are not showing signs of illness then you're unlikely to be contagious after 10 days, hence why you are allowed to come out of isolation without a negative test. The Premier League only do this because they have to be ultra safe and have enough resources to give multiple tests.

It is very confusing when there is one rule for one and one rule for another. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

17 hours ago, JRM said:

If Ings does feature (along with Alex McCarthy) it provides a refreshing reminder that for most people this illness isn't really anything to fear or worry about whilst we're locked up in our homes full of anxiety watching the news. Being a 8pm kick off I assume the squad isn't travelling until tomorrow. 

I'm not sure most people are fearful of getting the illness for own sakes, it's getting it and being symptomless or having mild symptoms that's worrying people. As that's when you can easily pass it on to a more vulnerable friend / relative / neighbour / person in supermarket and they end up dead because of it. Well over 1,000 people a day are dying from it in the UK at the moment so it's not something to be blasé about. They've all caught it from someone who either didn't know they had it or thought they knew better and didn't care to show any caution.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, bertie said:

Shrewsbury’s on BT too. I can’t justify having multiple subscriptions - Sky costs me a King’s Ransom as it is.

There will be some decent streams available around kick off if you're not able to watch on TV.  Some links will appear on the match thread 👍

Edited by niceandfriendly

15 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s on BT tomorrow, which is all that matters. Whether I shall be allowed to hog the tele for two hours on a Saturday night is another matter. I have fallbacks but one is cold and the other uncomfortable.

Mrs JBS may be a moaning old trout sometimes (30 years shackled to her - she can’t be that bad I suppose 😁) but with her personally wrapped in razor wire remote control, if there is footie on the TV all the soaps and other crap get shoved to one side...... except Strictly! 

Only downside is having to watch on the smaller screen and not the biggy in the man cave, cos I’m too tight to cough up the extra criminal £5 BT want to do chuff all getting to another box.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

In this case, he had no further symptoms, but got a test via Zoe based on his non qualifying symptoms as both his parents and parents in law declined the permitted one family meet up over Christmas until he got a test.

Leicester know what is needed in terms of a winning mentality, I think unfortunately our injuries are going to catch up with us for this one, Liverpool weren't at their best when we played them but still an excellent result! 

21 hours ago, JRM said:

Try being over 65 matey, then you'd have a broader and more sober view of the threat of this virus. Unchecked it will kill everyone in the end.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Try being over 65 matey, then you'd have a broader and more sober view of the threat of this virus. Unchecked it will kill everyone in the end.

Don't get me wrong,  I don't want to catch it either and am fully on-board with your age group getting extra protection such as food deliveries etc so you don't have to go out of your house. 

Just good to have a positive slant to reporting of the people who've had it and not really had any issues,  which is the massive majority. You don't hear much about them on the news, and it certainly won't kill us all will it. 

Anyway fingers crossed Ings makes a surprise appearance tonight and we get the three points, give us all a lift in these depressing times. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JRM said:

Don't get me wrong,  I don't want to catch it either and am fully on-board with your age group getting extra protection such as food deliveries etc so you don't have to go out of your house. 

Just good to have a positive slant to reporting of the people who've had it and not really had any issues,  which is the massive majority. You don't hear much about them on the news, and it certainly won't kill us all will it. 

Anyway fingers crossed Ings makes a surprise appearance tonight and we get the three points, give us all a lift in these depressing times. 

100%

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

That’s  simply not true. In the end we will learn to deal with through different vaccines and treatments. To say, ‘left unchecked’ is ridiculous as it won’t be left unchecked. Like saying if Shame along is left unmarked he will score, will all know that won’t happen. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester v Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic