Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

Frustrating night, we put in a decent display under the circumstances against a very good team but we just don't have the squad depth to deal with the number of injuries we have.

My main concern is that we're not creating enough chances at the moment, born out by the fact we have only scored one goal in our last five games. We desperately need to add one or two to the squad but looks like finances won't allow us to do that.

A disappointing outcome but not all that surprising with so many first team regulars out.

Starting Theo up top is a waste, we lose his strong running from midfield and off the ball aggression. Consequently for much of the match he was a spectator. Striker is not a natural position for him.

Despite the obvious skill and energy he brought to the side yesterday, Adams seemed to be playing in the No 10 position rather than as a striker so we had nobody in the box for most of the match.

Easy to nit-pick on their decisive goal but generally we defended well although Romeu's aggression was sorely missed; it seemed to have unsettled JWP who by his recent standards had a poor match. 

We didn't lose because of the odd defensive error we lost because we never looked like scoring. RH has boasted all season that there are goals in this side but on recent evidence we have lost our way in the final third. If we don't recover this knack quickly we'll slide down table.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Shroppie said:

Decent performance, when you think we were missing Ings, Redmond, Djenepo, Tella, Romeu, Obafemi, Vestergaard. All the starting eleven did well and we could have been in front at half time. But we had little to offer from the bench, although N'Lundulu impressed. Man of the match between McCarthy, Bednarek and Armstrong. Blue line. Hope to get injuries sorted. Move on.

Agree with this.  Bednarek for me was outstanding.  

• Like 1

On 16/01/2021 at 11:04, whelk said:

MLG is many things but woudl not insinuate that. Unbelievable Jeff wanted to meet me the creep

12 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Didn't Walcott have the ball after the foul and just ran into trouble giving it back? We were under pressure from the turnover that should've been a foul, but we still could and should have cleared.

Yes - it did result from Walcott loosing the ball

2 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Long does this all the time and it drives me mad. He played Adams offside a few weeks ago. You would think at 33 he would have an understanding of where he is in relation to his team mates. When he comes on the pitch my heart sinks. I was disappointed that we hadn't signed a striker last summer. Ings had a great season but we shouldn't be relying on him alone to score the goals and this season has shown that. Che Adams is still off the mark. I hope he can develop into a decent partner for Ings but I doubt it. 

How the hell can you play another player offside?

• Haha 1

We lost against the team now 2nd in the League. We played really well, first half especially. Biggest problem by far is that we are not creating chances, with Ings out there is no one getting in and around the box either getting in to goal scoring spaces or drawing fouls to give JWP a shot on goal. Some of our play last night was absolutely stunning swift decisive one-touch play, but sadly lacking the killer punch. Thought Smallbone was excellent, really looked the part playing in a slightly different role, some of his work was really very good, but of course his injury curtailed his match, and looks as though he may be out for some time if it is ligament damage as it appears. Bertrand really let us down, not so much in this match but getting a complete unneccessary yellow eaves us in big trouble for the Arsenal (PL) match, so unprofessional, and seems he was a little fortunate not to get a red (though it would have been very harsh). Decisive goal came from a big mistake by referee, and we didn't get time to reset with Theo giving the ball away, Maddison showed how good he can be with how he fashioned and took the goal, though McCarthy and Stephens could possibly have done better, sometimes you just have to accept that you concede because of the skill of the opposition rather than because of a mistake. Second goal, meh, so what, we should have been throwing the kitchen sink at them not putting our defenders under pressure. Bit concerned about Adams, hopefully he wasn't replaced due to injury, but it didn't look too good, and as a tactical change it didn't make sense.

Will be interesting to see what sort of team Ralph puts out for Shrewsbury, when even the youngsters are getting decimated by injury. We desparately need one or two additions, especially a full back, but can't see it happening. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

Rest players for the league which we cant win and put out our strongest teams for FA Cup which we can win.

interesting. When you have a good side, that is the time to go for it in the FA cup, not when you are league 1 team and realistically you have no chance. 

7 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Some of our play last night was absolutely stunning swift decisive one-touch play, but sadly lacking the killer punch. 

Good description. There was some moves that I just thought were beyond our ability. We could replicate in the second half, but boy was it good to watch in the first half.

• Like 1

Frustrating defeat but understandable considering all the casualties. First half some excellent passages of play from us without the killer touch.

Agree with Charlie Wayman that Theo is wasted up top. His runs from midfield are pretty much his only real strength at the moment so losing that damages us quite heavily. Upfront nothing sticks to him and he doesn't really threaten. Having said that first half he and Che linked up well a number of times.

The foul on Diallo for their first goal was infuriating especially as the ref a) had a great view of it and b) booked Diallo for doing exactly the same thing about 2 minutes later. Ref wasn't totally horrendous but a few really really poor decisions. 

We didn't look threatening throughout most of the game and we didn't deserve to win that's for sure, Leicester had 4 or 5 great chances too. 

Agree with others that Bednarek was very good, and I also can't wait to see more of N'lundulu. Looks an absolute unit and when he beat a couple of men over on the far side he achieved more in 5 minutes than Long has offered in what seems like years. 

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

I also can't wait to see more of N'lundulu. Looks an absolute unit and when he beat a couple of men over on the far side he achieved more in 5 minutes than Long has offered in what seems like years. 

What are you talking about? Brendan Rodgers himself said he wants to sign Shane Long: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

I've been loathe to criticise Long as many others have done so frequently but last night was a bridge too far for me. Shane, at your age and with your experience why the hell are you caught offside so much ? I'm not talking the VAR fingernail offside, its blatant by a mile offsides. Why ?

He used to come on and make a nuisance of himself, pulling defenders out of position etc. I'm not sure he even contributes that anymore.

I know he signed a two year deal but I hope he isn't here next season.  

3 hours ago, redkeith said:

Long, unfortunately, is incapable of staying onside as he never looks along the line, I think he actually helps the opposition now, because the flag goes up and and breaks up play whenever we try to attack. Maybe he used to get away with it before VAR, but nowadays he is a complete liability. His 2 year extension is right up there with the 3 year one for Mark Hughes.

Absolutely 100% !! He offers nothing now.
In fact, one 25 goal season at Reading and a 13 goal return year alongside Pellè and Mane for us are his only 2 standout seasons. 
Over the other 15 and a half seasons as a professional with 4 different clubs, he has averaged just under 5 goals a season!
A very poor record for a ‘Striker’. 
I don’t buy the ‘selfless’ running, the pace to get behind/beyond defenders and that he is Ingsy’s preferred strike partner. Those days are done. 
His presence has blocked the opportunity for us to bring a better player into the club in my opinion, particularly now when we could do with a reinforcement or two. 
Why Ralph felt he was worth an extension is a mystery.
If Long wanted more regular football, then he would have moved to get it. He doesn’t, just happy to sit out his lucrative contract.
The Shane Long appreciation society won’t agree but to keep on trotting out his anfield cup goal and his fastest ever perm goal as testament to keeping him, doesn’t do it for me. 
His aptitude for playing guitar and ability to ‘hold’ a tune, seems to have charmed every manager we’ve had since 2014🤦🏻‍♂️
Nice bloke by all accounts but I won’t shed a tear when he finally goes. All the best Shane 👍🏼

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

We lost against the team now 2nd in the League. We played really well, first half especially. Biggest problem by far is that we are not creating chances, with Ings out there is no one getting in and around the box either getting in to goal scoring spaces or drawing fouls to give JWP a shot on goal. Some of our play last night was absolutely stunning swift decisive one-touch play, but sadly lacking the killer punch. Thought Smallbone was excellent, really looked the part playing in a slightly different role, some of his work was really very good, but of course his injury curtailed his match, and looks as though he may be out for some time if it is ligament damage as it appears. Bertrand really let us down, not so much in this match but getting a complete unneccessary yellow eaves us in big trouble for the Arsenal (PL) match, so unprofessional, and seems he was a little fortunate not to get a red (though it would have been very harsh). Decisive goal came from a big mistake by referee, and we didn't get time to reset with Theo giving the ball away, Maddison showed how good he can be with how he fashioned and took the goal, though McCarthy and Stephens could possibly have done better, sometimes you just have to accept that you concede because of the skill of the opposition rather than because of a mistake. Second goal, meh, so what, we should have been throwing the kitchen sink at them not putting our defenders under pressure. Bit concerned about Adams, hopefully he wasn't replaced due to injury, but it didn't look too good, and as a tactical change it didn't make sense.

Will be interesting to see what sort of team Ralph puts out for Shrewsbury, when even the youngsters are getting decimated by injury. We desparately need one or two additions, especially a full back, but can't see it happening. 

We do need to work on the offside traps that teams set for us. It happens time and again. Last night we lost a clear penalty shout. Previous matches we've scored three superb goals all ruled out by VAR. Ralph fine them £1000 every time they get caught off-side. Long, Adams we're looking at you especially.

At times last night as you say, we played mesmerisingly good one touch football that even had the pundits purring but all the pretty play in the world without goals doesn't add up to a row of beans.

• Like 1

Leicester are where we want to be, and IMO where we were before the Puel appointment. Their squad is strong and deep, they’re established at the top end of the table and they have definitive style. We are getting back there, but we’re a few years away at the moment.

negatives for me are the lack of cutting edge we have now we seem to have stopped consistently out scoring our xG, and the lack of depth in the squad. The former can be worked on, the latter will take a few good windows to get right, and maybe longer in the current climate.

However, in the mean time we’re tough to beat, organised, exciting, and would have won that game without injuries to key players.

Enjoy the ride people! We’re good again!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Have to laugh at folks all over Stephen’s for the goal, but he kept pushing Maddison out into an ever narrowing angle but McCarthy being too clever is leaning to cover the likely cross opening the smallest of windows between him and the near post.

Indeed. 9 times out of 10, a shot from that angle hits either the side netting, post or the keeper, regardless of how good the striker is. Had that happened on this occasion, it wouldn't surprise me if those slating Stephens would be praising him for forcing Maddison to shoot from such a narrow angle. 

37 minutes ago, trousers said:

Indeed. 9 times out of 10, a shot from that angle hits either the side netting, post or the keeper, regardless of how good the striker is. Had that happened on this occasion, it wouldn't surprise me if those slating Stephens would be praising him for forcing Maddison to shoot from such a narrow angle. 

Trouble is some people seem to forget that we've just had three clean sheets in a row and Jack was at the heart of them :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Trouble is some people seem to forget that we've just had three clean sheets in a row and Jack was at the heart of them :)

The desperation for a scapegoat, rather than actually accept we were beaten by skill by a good side who we couldn't match for the whole game with a squad denied of several first choice players

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Thought McCarthy overcomitted for the first goal, Armstrong was positive on the ball, and Leicester was wasteful in front of goal (apart from their 2 goals). Might have been 1-1 on another day.

To be fair to McCarthy I’m struggling to recall someone smashing it into the roof of the net from that angle and distance, I’m not sure if it was brilliance or good fortune, nevertheless it was unexpected 

• Like 2

Ref Stephens, I like him, always have done. I accept he’s not world class, but by comparison I think Walcott had an absolute stinker last night, the difference is mistakes in the defensive 1/3 and the attacking 1/3 are viewed very differently. I’m not digging out Theo, I just find it strange someone like Jack, who is the closest we currently have to a Benalli, ie will run through walls for the team, gets some pretty awful abuse.

Edited by Toussaint
Typo
  • Like 4

I really like the positive comments and posts on this thread about your team that I've always followed from the other side of the world for some reason. As I've said before, I know absolutely nothing about football compared to probably all of you but I recognise good sport when I see it. That team has got a lot of potential.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

I really like the positive comments and posts on this thread about your team that I've always followed from the other side of the world for some reason. As I've said before, I know absolutely nothing about football compared to probably all of you but I recognise good sport when I see it. That team has got a lot of potential.

Don’t you be so sure about that pal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Stephens is better than Yoshida and Gardos, who he has now replaced in the team as the third choice centre-back. Initially, he was brought into the team to replace Van Dijk/Fonte, which has hampered him in the eyes of many for a number of years now, as he's never going to be on their level. However, he has been doing a job when coming into the team for well over a year now and I for one am glad that we have him in the squad. Very few Premier League teams outside of the big six would have kept three consecutive clean sheets, including against the champions with a second choice keeper in goal after losing a first choice centre-back.

• Like 3

Both had two clear chances.  Our shots from Betrand and Adams were saved by Schmeichel.  Foxes' shot from Barnes was brilliantly saved by McCarthy but Maddison's powerful shot from close-range could not be saved. While McCarthy or Stephen should not be blamed, the absence of Ings made the difference.    

4 hours ago, HKsaint said:

Stephen should not be blamed

Fair enough but there is always a mistake in the offing when he is playing. Not only was he turned too easily by Maddison but there were at least two passes out of defence that went straight to a Leicester player and went unpunished.

Examples of Bednarek and Stephens both giving the ball away trying to play those progressive passes. Think people need to understand/accept this is how Ralph asks them to play. We are missing Vestergaard who is clearly the best at doing this of all our defenders. As many have mentioned, overall this risky approach has brought an excellent return for us this season, but we are going to make mistakes at times.

I do wonder why we religiously stick to this is the dying moments of games though. We are 1 nil down and just need to go full Sean Dyche and get the ball into the box. Instead we carry on doing what we do, taking those risks in the 94th minute. We saw the same patient approach in the last period of the Arsenal away game and the crossbar came to our rescue. I would like to see us go more direct to try and salvage the point or get that winner against a team that has parked the bus with 10 men.

We were in that game until the very end, with half our match day squad unavailable for selection. Hard to be overly critical of Saints at the moment.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

Fair enough but there is always a mistake in the offing when he is playing. Not only was he turned too easily by Maddison but there were at least two passes out of defence that went straight to a Leicester player and went unpunished.

It's always very easy to pin the blame on a defender, but people need to realise that Madisson may be a little scrote but he is also a very, very good player. He's done that kind of thing to much better defenders than Stephens, and that finish was absolutely top class. Blasted high into the roof of the net leaving Macca no chance because of the pinpoint accuracy and power. 

Stephens actually did a decent enough job of shepherding him wide, and had Madisson missed (which 9 times out of 10 he would have), we would now be praising him for really good defending. Sometimes you have to just hold your hands up and acknowledge that you got beat by superior skill. 

The second goal, however... The less said about Stephens' contribution to that the better, but the game was already lost by that point so it wasn't exactly a pivotal moment in the match.

8 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Examples of Bednarek and Stephens both giving the ball away trying to play those progressive passes. Think people need to understand/accept this is how Ralph asks them to play. We are missing Vestergaard who is clearly the best at doing this of all our defenders. As many have mentioned, overall this risky approach has brought an excellent return for us this season, but we are going to make mistakes at times.

I do wonder why we religiously stick to this is the dying moments of games though. We are 1 nil down and just need to go full Sean Dyche and get the ball into the box. Instead we carry on doing what we do, taking those risks in the 94th minute. We saw the same patient approach in the last period of the Arsenal away game and the crossbar came to our rescue. I would like to see us go more direct to try and salvage the point or get that winner against a team that has parked the bus with 10 men.

We were in that game until the very end, with half our match day squad unavailable for selection. Hard to be overly critical of Saints at the moment.

Just what I think. We were passing back to goalie in injury time!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Hard to be overly critical of Saints at the moment.

This is how I feel. Some defeats leave me really grumpy but not this one for reasons other people have already outlined. Some of the over the top criticism of Stephens makes me think some of you must be getting bad cases of PMT!  I also thought the disparaging remarks about Smallbone before the game were unfair too, and I think many of us were pleased at how effective he was and the increased bite he has brought to his game.

So on to tomorrow's banana skin and let's hope we have enough fit players and likewise Shrews! We should win, but I'm a long standing Saints fan...

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

I noticed that most, if not all our corner kicks were headed out by the opposition. How we miss Vest

I was going to say the same thing. I think Leicester won the header for every single one of our corners. Such a waste.

23 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Why is there so much intolerance, not to say hatred, in the world today. Stephens did not make Maddison do such an excellent strike. He had almost shepherded him out of play. 

I saw it that Stephens pressurised Maddison so much that when he took his shot he was so off balance it was sliced into the corner of the goal so it was a bit of a fluke rather than goal of the century so Jack’s alright after all .

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

I saw it that Stephens pressurised Maddison so much that when he took his shot he was so off balance it was sliced into the corner of the goal so it was a bit of a fluke rather than goal of the century so Jack’s alright after all .

Are you really suggesting that Stephens pressurised Maddison into scoring a goal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

No , the fact that it went right in the corner was more due to way he hit the ball off balance so a bit of a fluke !

Maddison was never off balance and knew exactly where he was placing it! Stephens was done for speed pure and simple.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

He should be banned from the forum

Agree. There is nothing to say we can't be critical of players, or individual performances, or specific incidents during matches, but there is no need at all to be downright offensive and abusive towards the players. Some of those players "maybe" friends and/or acquaintances of people on here. Have some respect!

On 17/01/2021 at 14:59, Chapel End said:

A well thought out post🙄

On 18/01/2021 at 09:55, Totton Saint said:

He should be banned from the forum

It was reactionary to a specific event that had happened at that moment, Stephens giving the ball away cheaply in injury time for them to score the second when we should have been pushing for an equaliser. Thanks for your reviews of my posts though.