Leicester 2-0 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

9 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Wow, there are some incredibly dumb t***s on here tonight.  The abuse at Stephens is ridiculous and shows those posters up to be utter t***s of the highest order.

We played well first half and not so good 2nd half.  It's been a recurring theme for many games now that we offer very little in front of goal (1 goal in 5 games now).  Adams was excellent then ran out of gas.  Smallbone was having an excellent game and got injured.  

Anyone who thinks we will be splashing the cash to bring in reinforcements is deluded.  Where's the money going to come from?  

We could well have gotten a point - and that probably would have been the fair result.  Onwards and upwards - hopefully Adams and others will be given a rest ready for next weekends game.

It's a real concern how often Walcott gives it away and gives other teams to break away.  But then we don;t really have any other options at the moment.

Good summary.  Thought Walcott did quite well though and when switched wide was able to provide several good crosses.   Armstrong, probably our best player tonight was also guilty of coughing up possession.    A very good first half fell away in the second - Leicester looked one of the better sides played this season which was compounded  by the absence of Ings.     Smallbone put in a good first half shift and young N'lundulu showed he should be ahead of Long in the pecking order.    Diallo again impressive though the yellow card slowed his influence.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The difference was the 2 keepers - Macca beaten near the post where Schmeicel blocked the ball.

Sometimes rather than lambast our team, perhaps we should give some credit to our opponents.

They were similar opportunities but all our shots on target were routine saves really, whereas Morrison's finish would take an exceptional save to keep out.

On another night could easily have gone the other way.

• Like 1

Just now, Delmary said:

Unlucky with the injuries. Thought we did well first-half. Just ran out of energy and did not have many quality options on the bench.

I know a lot is being made of the bench, which are fair points - no real depth, but I do rate N'Lundulu. He's got a nice touch, real physical presence and a decent turn of pace.

He looks like he could be a real handful, and he's genuinely a 'young kid' we can bring off the bench who I feel can actually impact the game.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JRM said:

Exactly, compare cost of our bench to Leicester, not even a contest. I wondered if you'd still headed up the A34 stopping for an ice cream mate, Leicester away routine can't be missed.

Covid has had many serious implications but the lack of opportunities for ice cream at the top of the A34 on route to an away game is one that hasn't been discussed enough.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, whelk said:

You are alone on that one. Even Walton the BT ref said blatant

Just watched it again I just cannot see that was a foul. Particularly one worthy of a VAR review and goal cancellation. 

Edited by stknowle

5 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Just watched it again I just cannot see that was a foul. Particularly one worthy of a VAR review and goal cancellation. 

It was never going to be considered for VAR because the goal happened too far on in the play, it wasn't part of that phase.

But we'll have to agree to disagree, it was a foul - more than one.

• Like 3

We lost it happens no need to wet the mattresses Leicester are a good outfit.

Take Ings out of the equation and we seem to lack a bit of end product. 

Walcott jury is still out for me runs around alot but should we sign?

Smallbone showed a few glimpses of potential I'd start him in the cup.

Armstrong best player for me was unlucky not to get a goal.

The reality is injuries aside we need an injection of further quality 

New left back I don't rate Bertrand personally 

Creative midfielder / winger that has consistent end product 

Striker someone with a track record of getting goals maybe we need a big unit up top a target man this may be controversial but if we could I'd have somebody like Giroud on loan better option than Long. 

If we don't resolve Salisu issues we need a centre back or two..... 

Anyone got a spare 100 million?

This is the problem we haven't got a pot to piss in......

Edited by ally_uk
Spelling

Have to laugh at folks all over Stephen’s for the goal, but he kept pushing Maddison out into an ever narrowing angle but McCarthy being too clever is leaning to cover the likely cross opening the smallest of windows between him and the near post. It was a well taken goal doing what Maddison is paid to do threading the ball through the eye of a needle.

Yes Jack lost the ball fro their second nearly everyone was up in the Leicester half, loses the ball but Bednarek and JWP both freeze momentarily which gave Barnes the head start.

Commentary said where would Leicester be without Vardy errr pretty much the same place as Saints without Ings.

Given the amount of shit Saints have poured into my eyes in recent years, we didn’t just lay down and give up.

• Like 4

Result was harsh on us in my opinion.

first half we were superb and throughout the game some of our one touch football was excellent. 

we had 12 academy players in that squad and that’s the difference. 
Leicester could bring on proven players who cost more than we spend in seasons.

dissapointed as that could’ve given us some momentum but in context it’s not tragic.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Will have to look at again then it simply did not look like a foul to me but there is a groundswell of opinion on here that suggests I’m wrong. 

In the end, it matters not. We didn't do enough in the second half and didn't take the half chances we created in the first. Have to applaud Rogers for his tactical change. He returned the favour, as Ralf had the tactics in the last game against them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

New left back I don't rate Bertrand personally 

I have to say I have been a huge fan of his over the years, but he does look (on recent outings at least)  like he has lost a yard of pace. He still is a good player, but I worry about paying his top money but not getting the player we had over the last three or four years. I wonder if he can adjust his game to cope defensively (a few more fouls for yellow cards may be needed) and be effective going forward. I'd like to see Vokins play against Shrewsbury to see what we have coming through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

In the end, it matters not. We didn't do enough in the second half and didn't take the half chances we created in the first. Have to applaud Rogers for his tactical change. He returned the favour, as Ralf had the tactics in the last game against them.

Agreed it doesn’t matter. We look like a really tidy side, just lacking that killer instinct particularly with no Ings. It wasn’t a foul though. 

Just now, stknowle said:

Agreed it doesn’t matter. We look like a really tidy side, just lacking that killer instinct particularly with no Ings. It wasn’t a foul though. 

and I don't have rose tinted specs, hence in the same sentence saying Dialla should have gone and the ref had a decent game apart from those two decisions. Be well stknkowle.

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

There's always a lot of shit posted here on match days but today will take some beating.  Sometimes teams lose matches and there's no shame in losing to Leicester when half your team is missing. We're still exceeding expectations so enjoy it while it lasts.

Well, this is true, admittedly. I was probably one of those overreacting. It just hurts. 

• Like 1

The squad lacks the depth that we require - We know that. I'd hope that we're looking to get a couple of players on loan for the second half of the season, just to cover injuries and suspensions. However, I'm not sure we will. 
If we're able to get 2 players in then one definitely needs to be a defender. Probably a LB. People keep calling for a consistent winger, but I'm not sure they exist. All wingers seem to drift in and out of games or have a blinding game every 1 in 4. 
I think we need something different up front. I'm surprised they've not stuck Long out on loan to a Championship club and looked for someone on loan to do a job for the remainder of the season. 
It's great to see the youngsters getting a start but we seem to have a bit of a gap, in that they don't look quite ready. Give it a couple of seasons and they'll probably be regular starters, but they've been thrown in at the deep end this season due to a lack of depth in the squad, which is why we just need a couple of more experienced loans to see us through.

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

and I don't have rose tinted specs, hence in the same sentence saying Dialla should have gone and the ref had a decent game apart from those two decisions. Be well stknkowle.

And you Chez my luvvly. Agree to disagree x

Another very good away performance, took the game to them in the first half and still managed to stay in the game until the last kick.   Even with a weakened side we deserved a share of the spoils today.  Given the players unavailable, it was always going to be a big ask.  It's OK bringing Shane Long on when your one nil up and wanting somebody to run the channels, but when your one nil down and need him between the width of the posts,  no chance.  Hey ho, no disgrace losing to a very good Leicester side, upwards and onwards to the next. 

• Like 1

Decent performance first half against a really good side. Leicester definitely deserved the win if I’m honest. If we had a full side out there would it have been a different result?  Maybe. I just wish we could keep injury free and see how we end up but let’s be honest you need a full squad to be consistent.

We just lost to a team who now sit second in the league. Two weeks ago we beat Liverpool. It happens. This week we were missing the spine of our team, probably 5 "starters" out, plus a couple of "back-ups". I really think some people on here need to take a reality check. Get behind the team and stop slagging individuals off. Smallbone looked good and is getting praised for it, but you can guarantee if he has a poor game next time he'll get crucified by some on here. Stephens has been part the defence which has kept 3 clean sheets (incl. Liverpool)  before this game, but we concede 2 goals and he gets hammered on here. We know he's not our first choice centre back at present, but he hasn't done bad since coming in as a replacement for Vesty.  Losing any game hurts, of course it does, that's why we are here, but please.....don't wet your beds, get behind the team and basically.......... get over it. 

• Like 4

We've scored one goal in our last 5 league games.

Without Ings over any stretch of games we will struggle to get wins. We have been outperforming this season, largely due to set pieces, and without Vestergaard as well, we are not much of a threat from those (aside from direct free kicks).

The match last night summed up our situation very concisely. Lots of good play, controlled the match for long periods, promising work by Smallbone and Nlundulu but, ultimately, it never looked like we would win. 

We did play pretty well and, but for a piece of very weak defending, we would probably have held on for a 0-0.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Have to laugh at folks all over Stephen’s for the goal, but he kept pushing Maddison out into an ever narrowing angle but McCarthy being too clever is leaning to cover the likely cross opening the smallest of windows between him and the near post. It was a well taken goal doing what Maddison is paid to do threading the ball through the eye of a needle.

Yes Jack lost the ball fro their second nearly everyone was up in the Leicester half, loses the ball but Bednarek and JWP both freeze momentarily which gave Barnes the head start.

Commentary said where would Leicester be without Vardy errr pretty much the same place as Saints without Ings.

Given the amount of shit Saints have poured into my eyes in recent years, we didn’t just lay down and give up.

pretty much agree with this assessment. For me the defense is fine; creativity and finishing in the final third is worrying.

last 6 matches....

• Arsenal (a) 1-1
  • City (h) 0-1
  • Fulham (a) 0-0
  • West Ham (a) 0-0
  • Liverpool (h) 1-0
  • Leicester (a) 2-0

that is 2 GF (worst 6 match form in the league)

that is 4 GA (T-4th best 6 match form in the league)

Edited by SaintTex

8 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Anyone got a spare 100 million?

No-one except a few top clubs has in the current situation. I'd agree with backup at LB, but otherwise we're not badly off, and we won't we spending anyway.

With 3/4 certain starters out and 8 possibles in total missing, not surprising we're struggling a bit, but we still played well tonight. Their first goal was lucky on two counts - missed earlier foul and a blasted shot that misses 99 times out of 100. Game was gone when they got their second. And Armstrong, Adams came close. JWP had a good chance. If Long hadn't strayed offside for the follow up to Armstrong's shot it was a stonewall penalty. 

Yes, they had chances too. Bednarek and McCarthy were great, not that the rest of the defence were in any way poor.

Blue line. Hope to get players back. Move on.

• Like 1

Think Ralph summed it up: "quality of the opponent was better than ours...today". No shame with our current squad against a good Leicester team and there's always tomorrow. We had our chances and gave a pretty good account of ourselves for 60-70 mins ... A draw would have been a decent result, not to be.

I still enjoy how our team is going about it with a set system, no fear and a willingness to work damn hard... Results will come. 

If we can bed in a few of the academy lads, maybe go on a little cup run and get that top 10 finish,  I'd say mission accomplished .... would be a real improvement from last year and yet another sound layer for Ralph to build on....  

COYS

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

We just lost to a team who now sit second in the league. Two weeks ago we beat Liverpool. It happens. This week we were missing the spine of our team, probably 5 "starters" out, plus a couple of "back-ups". I really think some people on here need to take a reality check. Get behind the team and stop slagging individuals off. Smallbone looked good and is getting praised for it, but you can guarantee if he has a poor game next time he'll get crucified by some on here. Stephens has been part the defence which has kept 3 clean sheets (incl. Liverpool)  before this game, but we concede 2 goals and he gets hammered on here. We know he's not our first choice centre back at present, but he hasn't done bad since coming in as a replacement for Vesty.  Losing any game hurts, of course it does, that's why we are here, but please.....don't wet your beds, get behind the team and basically.......... get over it. 

This.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

No-one except a few top clubs has in the current situation. I'd agree with backup at LB, but otherwise we're not badly off, and we won't we spending anyway.

With 3/4 certain starters out and 8 possibles in total missing, not surprising we're struggling a bit, but we still played well tonight. Their first goal was lucky on two counts - missed earlier foul and a blasted shot that misses 99 times out of 100. Game was gone when they got their second. And Armstrong, Adams came close. JWP had a good chance. If Long hadn't strayed offside for the follow up to Armstrong's shot it was a stonewall penalty. 

Yes, they had chances too. Bednarek and McCarthy were great, not that the rest of the defence were in any way poor.

Blue line. Hope to get players back. Move on.

Long, unfortunately, is incapable of staying onside as he never looks along the line, I think he actually helps the opposition now, because the flag goes up and and breaks up play whenever we try to attack. Maybe he used to get away with it before VAR, but nowadays he is a complete liability. His 2 year extension is right up there with the 3 year one for Mark Hughes.

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I know a lot is being made of the bench, which are fair points - no real depth, but I do rate N'Lundulu. He's got a nice touch, real physical presence and a decent turn of pace.

He looks like he could be a real handful, and he's genuinely a 'young kid' we can bring off the bench who I feel can actually impact the game.

showed real belief in himself when holding the ball up and then carrying is right across the width of the pitch until he found a pass actually worth making. loved that. Nice cameo. Very interested to see more.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wild-saint said:

Decent performance first half against a really good side. Leicester definitely deserved the win if I’m honest. If we had a full side out there would it have been a different result?  Maybe. I just wish we could keep injury free and see how we end up but let’s be honest you need a full squad to be consistent.

I am minded of a comment on here a week or too back when he said if Leicester can win the title so can we, and the reply was that they didn't have ANY real injuries over the entire season, which was correct and a major factor in their win. Lot of luck there and we just don't have that right now and we will never know what could have been.

3 hours ago, benjii said:

We've scored one goal in our last 5 league games.

Without Ings over any stretch of games we will struggle to get wins. We have been outperforming this season, largely due to set pieces, and without Vestergaard as well, we are not much of a threat from those (aside from direct free kicks).

The match last night summed up our situation very concisely. Lots of good play, controlled the match for long periods, promising work by Smallbone and Nlundulu but, ultimately, it never looked like we would win. 

We did play pretty well and, but for a piece of very weak defending, we would probably have held on for a 0-0.

good post. We have punched above our weight. We don't create a huge number of chances and need to continue to look to add better players that can offer pace and guile up front.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Fuck sake long, what the fuck, why are you so far offside!

Long does this all the time and it drives me mad. He played Adams offside a few weeks ago. You would think at 33 he would have an understanding of where he is in relation to his team mates. When he comes on the pitch my heart sinks. I was disappointed that we hadn't signed a striker last summer. Ings had a great season but we shouldn't be relying on him alone to score the goals and this season has shown that. Che Adams is still off the mark. I hope he can develop into a decent partner for Ings but I doubt it. 

So we lost to a team that now sit second in the table. I have said many times in the past that our squad has no depth. I hate to lose but am a realist and know we can’t win every game. However, I do have a question. How did Maddison stay on the pitch? A nasty piece of work who played the Ref like an old violin. Stuart Atwell is a terrible Ref and it really did show yet again his inconsistency,especially in the second half. Missing the strengths in our side through injury didn’t help. Unlike some I don’t hate Leicester but I certainly cannot stand the adulation by many of their arrogant Manager.

PS. We no longer bet on how early the ‘big loss’ is mentioned but ‘how many times’ We counted eight.  Any advance?

We lost to a very good Leicester side, but not beaten, (if you get what I mean). Up until the last minute Saints were going head to head. No disgrace, they played well and Arsenal won't enjoy their 1 or 2 games against us.

I thought it was notable that Barnes kept KWP back. Good tactics and it stunted our attacks. Ralph should really have brought Valery on earlier to make Barnes do some work further back himself.

Teams are defending further up the field to Saints now. The team needs width and a bit more variety on the bench. Above all else it needs experience.

Classic example is Diallo, great prospect, he shackled Tielemans and played well. However he lost the ball in a critical area. and then lost it for a while. Romeu is more experienced and would probably have avoided that scenario. That skill comes with time, and Diallo will improve. Like Vesty he is very young.

On the positive side N'Lundulu and Smallbone look ready for a run in the side.

Need to start scoring again, that is key.

ive only seen the clips on MoTD but we seemed to be in the game and perhaps created as many chances. What was evident to me was the amount of loose passes straight to their players that put us under undue pressure and 2 goals came from them. It was a foul but the VAR was never going overrule the ref.

15 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Would Maddison’s shot been so unsaveable if he wasn’t off balance as he hit it ! 

what is it with Stephens when he gives the ball away ? Does he just see a gap but not the opposition player ? Is it timing or a slow brain?

I think you'll find that all the defenders gave the ball away at times, it's just that certain people on here are on a hair trigger with him. Without Redmond or Long, their usual outlets are very limited, so he gets it. We all have a knob sat behind us somewhere, who moans throughout the game. No different on here.

That said he has had better games. The defence came under increasing pressure as the game went on, and it isn't surprising they all started to creak a bit. Stephens didn't make any forward runs and that is pat of his game. 

I've been loathe to criticise Long as many others have done so frequently but last night was a bridge too far for me. Shane, at your age and with your experience why the hell are you caught offside so much ? I'm not talking the VAR fingernail offside, its blatant by a mile offsides. Why ?

He used to come on and make a nuisance of himself, pulling defenders out of position etc. I'm not sure he even contributes that anymore.

I know he signed a two year deal but I hope he isn't here next season.  

1 hour ago, redkeith said:

Long, unfortunately, is incapable of staying onside as he never looks along the line, I think he actually helps the opposition now, because the flag goes up and and breaks up play whenever we try to attack. Maybe he used to get away with it before VAR, but nowadays he is a complete liability. His 2 year extension is right up there with the 3 year one for Mark Hughes.

Totally agree. We bemoan the lack of funds but then we waste what little we have got on extending this liability's contract. Strealng a living as a footballer. 

• Like 3

Still a shame we missed out on Maddison, does appear from stories we were very close to signing him and he's exactly the goalscoring/clever passing no.10 I feel we miss (plus under ralph you'd suspect maybe he'd be even better). 

We played well, lost to a good finish, whilst missing several key players whilst Leicester had most of theirs, I think another night we could have had a draw or even nicked it. 

Creativity if a worry, but then over recent game we've had players missing. Ings scores goals from half chances and outside the box, Vestergaard threatens from set pieces, Redmond/Djenepo provide some creativity, and Walcott has been better in the wide areas rather up front. Even Romeu has played a few balls in behind this year, so the injuries are going to take their toll.

Also got to remember we are still a work in progress, we are only a year basically since being dead cert relegation fodder, the deadwood is still causing problems, there is no other investment, covid obviously happened etc. Someone like Leicester have been developing their squad and performing for longer, they probably have most of their key positions with very good players, and yet we matched them without about 5 first teamers, shows how far we have come. 

We lost to a good team, narrowly and played well despite lots of players out can't complain about that.

If we get players back I still think we can finish pretty high this season and then hopefully progress from there with a few more key additions to give the squad some more quality and options. 

Also should not I think our April and May is full of 'easier' on paper games so hopefully we can have a strong end to the season, we might be a bit more up and down over the next month with some tougher games and the injuries. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 9