Danny Ings

sisi1992

5 hours ago, SKD said:

Yep, especially given he left a big one, arguably the most successful of the lot in recent 2-3 years, because he wasn’t getting game time. 

Although, he may look back at the end in regret and think how have I not won anything. Contrary to this forum, top level athletes don’t see 3rd best form In 2020 and premier league survival as success. 

Le tiss was the anomaly. I know Matt says he has no regrets, but I bet deep down he thinks what if. 

I could be wrong but didn’t MLT say once (or may have tweeted) that the wage gap wasn’t as big in the 1990s and it was only United who could offer astronomical wages at the time.

It does make sense to an extent, to not move from a city you are comfortable in to some place up north for a bit of money.

However now, we’re talking players potentially earn up to £100k a week more (or even more) and as a result loyalty is now misplaced.

15 minutes ago, OldNick said:

It could even be our club doing it, make the fans get used to the thought hes leaving and their sentiment may turn. Personally he is tarnished as he obviously wants to go.

Fair play hes done well for us and we for him of course.

He's not tarnished here, I wouldn't say.

He's not doing a Nivea is he?

I don't think anyone is that arsed he's leaving. 

I'm not. 

I think the general consensus is: nice bloke, good player, good luck.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SKD said:

It makes me laugh that you continue to use ‘it’s a multi million pound business’ as a point to add weight to your argument, as if this exact thing doesn’t happen on the stock market every single day 😂

Strange use of exact. The comparison is deeply flawed.

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Strange use of exact. The comparison is deeply flawed.

I'm going to regret this but I can't help it.

Are you suggesting the stock market isn't/doesn't get manipulated?

Edited by JustinSFC

2 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Obviously, hence why he plays for us. Do I think it’s a massive red flag to a team that spends 100’s of millions every year and has a squad full of players over 30mil that don’t play regularly? Probably not. City signing Ings for £30mil is basically the equivalent of Brighton signing Danny Welbeck on a free, you know he’s not going to be fit all the time but he’s probably worth having for when he can play. 

They’re Man City, they don’t have to take a punt on players they know have ongoing fitness issues. This is a club that signed Riyad Mahrez as a squad player. Chances are they will sign Kane or Haaland and if they want another striker it’ll be another young prodigy like Jesus. Not someone who might be fit from time to time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Nope, I was pointing out it isn't exactly the same as was claimed and is not a relevant comparison. 

He obviously meant the context of the situation not that both abitrary things were EXACTLY the same.

You do realise movements in any given stock are directly influenced by news right?

So it's common practice for companies to release a 'story' to influence a 'long' or 'short' movement...

I know you like clarification so to dumb that down it means up and down.

Players agents do the same thing and it is literally exact in context.

15 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

He obviously meant the context of the situation not that both abitrary things were EXACTLY the same.

You do realise movements in any given stock are directly influenced by news right?

So it's common practice for companies to release a 'story' to influence a 'long' or 'short' movement...

I know you like clarification so to dumb that down it means up and down.

Players agents do the same thing and it is literally exact in context.

Haha spot on. Crazy that it needs explaining that Danny ings isn’t a stock on the stock market... (unless you’re talking football index 😉)

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Haha spot on. Crazy that it needs explaining that Danny ings isn’t a stock on the stock market... (unless you’re talking football index 😉)

Football index came to me as I was typing it, I should have used that as an example instead because it's the best argument I can think of that supports the point.

19 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

It just dawned on me that we could end up signing Walcott permanently as our supposed Ings replacement. It's like 2005 all over again.

TW to me seemed a last min panic loan. Really hope we don't spend decent wages on him again next season. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

TW to me seemed a last min panic loan. Really hope we don't spend decent wages on him again next season. 

I thought Theo was a good move to be honest. By the sounds of things he was low wages and this was likely seen as a bit of a "try before you buy" situation. If he had stayed fit I think we'd probably be offering him a contract (albeit with fairly modest wages) as we wouldn't have to pay a transfer fee. Since he has gotten injured though I think maybe we will look elsewhere for someone a bit younger. The signing of Minimino probably means he is our new "trialist".

6 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

No way can he be Ings direct replacement though. 

I don't think he will be to be honest. We need four "10's", and four forwards. At the moment I think Redmond is seen as a forward so we have Ings, Adams, Redmond and Tella as forwards and Armstrong, Djenepo, Minimino, and Theo as tens. At the end of the season I think if we sell Ings we will be down three players (Ings, Minimino, and Theo). Depending on whether Ralph thinks Nlundulu is up to it that's atleast two signings. For me we will probably aim to retain one of Theo or Minimino and also sign a forward to replace Ings, keeping Obafemi/Nlundulu as our 8th choice effectively where we move players between the two roles to fill gaps before playing them.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

I don't think he will be to be honest. We need four "10's", and four forwards. At the moment I think Redmond is seen as a forward so we have Ings, Adams, Redmond and Tella as forwards and Armstrong, Djenepo, Minimino, and Theo as tens. At the end of the season I think if we sell Ings we will be down three players (Ings, Minimino, and Theo). Depending on whether Ralph thinks Nlundulu is up to it that's atleast two signings. For me we will probably aim to retain one of Theo and Minimino and also sign a forward to replace Ings, keeping Obafemi/Nlundulu as our 8th choice effectively where we move players between the two roles to fill gaps before playing them.

I’d agree with that. Such a shame we are having to rebuild again, likely losing Danny. Vestergaard in the last year of contract too. Going to be a busy summer with a limited budget.

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I have a feeling ings might end up back at Liverpool with us maybe taking minamino or another of theirs a bit like the kwp hojbjerg deals

I don't think Taki happens.

As the other poster says, we were initially keen on one of there full backs and according to Klopp Taki was literally a last minute thing.

And being honest, he doesn't add anything to us and I think Walcott is a better player.

Neither is a replacement for Ings anyway.

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I’d agree with that. Such a shame we are having to rebuild again, likely losing Danny. Vestergaard in the last year of contract too. Going to be a busy summer with a limited budget.

Yeah not looking forward to it to be honest with you. Fingers crossed for the takeover I guess.

• Sad 1

Just now, JustinSFC said:

I don't think Taki happens.

As the other poster says, we were initially keen on one of there full backs and according to Klopp Taki was literally a last minute thing.

And being honest, he doesn't add anything to us and I think Walcott is a better player.

Neither is a replacement for Ings anyway.

I think Taki could be an interesting one. He can finish really well and has some intelligence in front of goal which is a trait no one else in our team has except Ings and Armstrong, especially not Theo. Theo is better at most other things though and Taki is very shaky passing and retaining possession. I can maybe see a situation that we sign Taki for cheap (8m or so) as Ralph sees his raw abilities and wants to shape him as a player like he has for Armstrong and JWP.

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think Taki could be an interesting one. He can finish really well and has some intelligence in front of goal which is a trait no one else in our team has except Ings and Armstrong, especially not Theo. Theo is better at most other things though and Taki is very shaky passing and retaining possession. I can maybe see a situation that we sign Taki for cheap (8m or so) as Ralph sees his raw abilities and wants to shape him as a player like he has for Armstrong and JWP.

Yeah. Probably agree with all that and at £8m he's worth the punt.

I don't think he's good enough for Liverpool and will struggle to get in that team.

He's certainly not a starter there so it could work out for both sides.

35 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Yeah. Probably agree with all that and at £8m he's worth the punt.

I don't think he's good enough for Liverpool and will struggle to get in that team.

He's certainly not a starter there so it could work out for both sides.

Minimimo is a weird one. He can go games where he looks completely out of his depth and just a waste of time and others where he’ll be quiet and then as that bit of quality in front of goal. 

He’s clearly not ready or good enough to play for Liverpool. He’s what I expect Djenepo will be in a few years, inconsistent, but has a bit of quality when needed. 

For 8m he’s worth a punt I’d say and I’d probably get Theo in on a low, heavy game time incentivised contract just to add some depth. He’s not the best player, but we can’t afford the best player.  

I don’t think he’s gonna be going to the Euros. Watkins and DCL both having great seasons and Danny isn’t. 

A shame, but more fool him to be honest. Let a good season and some transfer talk go to his head. 

• Like 2

We'll struggle to get much for Ings unless he can get back to his best before the end of the season, so proving he has overcome injury.

My scenario is

Sell Ings for (whatever)

Buy Taki Minamino-san £10M,if reasonable wages

Take on Theo, avoid signing on fee, wages as agreed on joining £50k pw.

Tell McAdams he is new Ings, and play either Taki or Theo alongside.

28 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

We'll struggle to get much for Ings unless he can get back to his best before the end of the season, so proving he has overcome injury.

My scenario is

Sell Ings for (whatever)

If we do that we will be in the championship the year after. We have to look abroad there are bargains to be had. If we do our scouting properly we could improve our first 11 and squad.

54 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

My scenario is

Sell Ings for (whatever)

Minaminos wages will not be reasonable, Theo will want a signing on fee, and Adams isn’t good enough to replace Ings. Other than that, great scenario. 

23 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Minaminos wages will not be reasonable, Theo will want a signing on fee, and Adams isn’t good enough to replace Ings. Other than that, great scenario. 

Unless Liverpool see a place for him next season, Minamino will be available for transfer. We'll offer enough to beat other offers, call it £50k.

Theo won't get any other offers, so we can decline to pay a fee, and the wage is already agreed at 50k.

Unless we have cash available for anyone else (Abraham would be ideal, please not an overseas import as a fish out of water in EPL), then Adams it is as main striker, and Theo/Taki as 2nd striker.

Any cash we have needs to go on FB positions.

4 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Unless Liverpool see a place for him next season, Minamino will be available for transfer. We'll offer enough to beat other offers, call it £50k.

Theo won't get any other offers, so we can decline to pay a fee, and the wage is already agreed at 50k.

Unless we have cash available for anyone else (Abraham would be ideal, please not an overseas import as a fish out of water in EPL), then Adams it is as main striker, and Theo/Taki as 2nd striker.

If that is the approach, we will be relegated. Ings has to be replaced, it would be suicide if he wasn't.

He's not had a great year this year, but still - without his goals which have either got us points or wins (Brighton/Burnley/Villa/Liverpool etc) we'd be adrift in the bottom 3.

14 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I highly suspect that absolutely none of this will be true. 

Minimino would cost us a minimum of £10-15m + more than 50k in wages if were ‘offering more than anyone else’. I’m not sure I’ve seen enough to justify this given we have very limited funds, but he’d be a good option for us. 

Theo will get offers. We’ll have to probably pay him a substantial sign on fee + a decent chunk of salary, 50k minimum I’d guess. 

We won’t sign Minimino and Theo, at best it’ll be one or the other. We need to replace ings with a true number 9 and a goal scorer. Abraham won’t want to come here. Why would he, he’ll get better offers. 

Agree FB is a priority, but so is an ings replacement. Both are essential for us if we want to even try and compete next season. 

We’ll then need a CB to replace Vestergaard, assuming he is off. 

On 26/03/2021 at 18:03, the saint in winchester said:

My scenario is

Sell Ings for (whatever)

I think that's half and Everton are paying the rest.  

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If that is the approach, we will be relegated. Ings has to be replaced, it would be suicide if he wasn't.

He's not had a great year this year, but still - without his goals which have either got us points or wins (Brighton/Burnley/Villa/Liverpool etc) we'd be adrift in the bottom 3.

This.. whoever we target to replace ings looks a real huge key transfer for the club.. we need a proper goalscorer this time it’s not gonna be a easy signing 

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

We've agreed to pay Walcott £50k a week already?

Do you mean we're paying him £50k as part of his Everton wages?

He'll want more than £50k a week on a perm definitely.

Wasn't it Harrison Reed on our fringes getting £30k here?...

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Whilst I agree in principle that it’s vital we replace Ings, you are using the ‘if he wasn’t here, we’d have played those games with ten men’ fallacy. Even a s**t striker is probably good for 4/5 goals a season if playing regularly, apart from Long obviously.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nick75Sfc said:

Augero -> Arsenal

Kane -> Man City

Ings -> Tottenham 

Bertrand-> West Ham

Hassenhuttel -> Gone 

Is Ings in bold because his was the one name you were confident you'd spelt correctly?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

If Chelsea are desperate to move him on, they can pay £200k and we'll pay the £70k. Sorted. :)

Why hasn't it worked for him? He was brilliant in Germany and looks woeful for Chelsea. Can Ralph get him firing again?

I’m sure they’d be delighted with an offer like that.

Hi Roman, how about we offer you 30m less than you paid last year and you’ll have to pay £200k of his salary whilst you’re at it. 

Not sure there’s many/any teams who will be able to meet Chelsea’s transfer demands to recoup their money whilst giving Werner the wages he wants.

Don’t think he will end up at Saints but not completely inconceivable that he’ll be their Hoedt/Elyounoussi/Carillo and they’ll end up loaning him out whilst subsidising a decent percentage of his wage. Expect it’ll be at a club that’ll be able to pay £150kp/w+ of the wage (West Ham, Dortmund, Athletico etc.).

• Like 1

How about we get back to talking about Danny Ings?

Today's reports:

* Tottenham cool interest in Ings, want Kane to stay

* Man City prefer Haaland or Mbappe, but Ings links continue.

I think Danny is not going to get a top top move, may have to stick with us next season and then he'll try again. But we really need to find a buyer to get something back on our outlay.

22 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

If Chelsea are desperate to move him on, they can pay £200k and we'll pay the £70k. Sorted. :)

Why hasn't it worked for him? He was brilliant in Germany and looks woeful for Chelsea. Can Ralph get him firing again?

I posted about this when he was announced to sign for Chelsea and thought he was an odd signing for them as he doesn't suit the style that Lampard was trying to get them playing.

Basically, he works better as one of a pair up front in a team that looks to exclusively score via quick counters. When he played as a lone striker for Germany he wasn't particularly good (compared to his domestic form for Leipzig) as he's not good at holding the ball up or bringing other people into play.

Playing out wide or up front alone for Chelsea doesn't suit him either. He's a bit like a German version of a young Michael Owen. Needs a partner to work with and early passes that let him get in behind quickly.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/danny-ings-manchester-city-transfer-5258011

Ralphs comments on this seems to be that he will only go to a big club, but if a big club come in for him we'd struggle to say no. Also seems to imply at the end that he's not good enough for City. I think there is still a chance he stays but if a big chain of transfers takes place I could see him replacing Kane at spurs and them reinvesting most of the Kane money elsewhere in their team with a new CB pairing and keeper wanted.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings