Danny Ings

sisi1992

3 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Yes he is but could play him there and he would score goals .. he’s class ! Would be a great addition for saints ..sell ings and use the money to bring him in ..he could play anywhere along the front line he’s that good !

You're missing the point though, he's not a striker. He'd score 5-6 goals max a season, if that. If we replaced Ings with Lookman and relied on his goals, we'd be in deep shit. (as we've seen this year with no one else really scoring)

Any money we get from Ings needs to be invested into a number 9. If we sold Redmond, I'd take Lookman as a replacement though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You're missing the point though, he's not a striker. He'd score 5-6 goals max a season, if that. If we replaced Ings with Lookman and relied on his goals, we'd be in deep shit. (as we've seen this year with no one else really scoring)

Any money we get from Ings needs to be invested into a number 9. If we sold Redmond, I'd take Lookman as a replacement though.

He’s not playing there for Fulham agreed but I reckon he has lots of goals in him in the right formation like ours and would be available wen Fulham go down. Can’t see saints attracting a 20 goal a season striker cos we haven’t got the money .. Ings fee a percentage will go to debt repayments .. so lookman in striker /no  10 role push che no 9 role .. 

32 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

He’s not playing there for Fulham agreed but I reckon 1) he has lots of goals in him in the right formation like ours and would be 2) available wen Fulham go down. Can’t see saints attracting a 20 goal a season striker cos we haven’t got the money .. 3) Ings fee a percentage will go to debt repayments .. so lookman in striker /no  10 role push che no 9 role .. 

1) Never scored more than league 5 goals in a season for one club. Of course that can change in the future as he is still young(ish).

2) Fulham don't own him, he is a RB Leipzig player.

3) The loan repayments don't start until 2025.

Edited by Matthew Le God

33 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Can’t see saints attracting a 20 goal a season striker cos we haven’t got the money 

When you say '20 goal a season striker' do you mean one that has already scored 20 goals in a PL season?

The value is signing players from abroad. Just need to get the scouting right.

Lookman is still young but looks hungry and is a very direct player who runs at people with great pace, he might well have more goals in him considering he didn't really get a look in at Everton and is playing in a struggling Fulham side.

Certainly worth considering, that's if Fulham get relegated of course.

How about Mitrović if Fulham go down. I think in a better side with more service and Adams as support he would be ok - not brilliant but we can't afford a £50+ forward. Should be relatively reasonable fee wise

28 minutes ago, Red said:

How about Mitrović if Fulham go down. I think in a better side with more service and Adams as support he would be ok - not brilliant but we can't afford a £50+ forward. Should be relatively reasonable fee wise

Not suited to Ralph's style at all. 

56 minutes ago, greenwood said:

Lookman is still young but looks hungry and is a very direct player who runs at people with great pace, he might well have more goals in him considering he didn't really get a look in at Everton and is playing in a struggling Fulham side.

Certainly worth considering, that's if Fulham get relegated of course.

He is not a Fulham player, he is on loan. His deal with Fulham currently ends in the summer regardless of them staying up or not.

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

maybe not, but it's not 0% interest until 2025, so unless we start paying it off immediately the debt will grow...to over £100m by 2025. 

Just now, marshmello said:

Withdraw the contract offer. 

Saints hold the cards now, Ings will become a burden more than a help moving forward. 

Not sure why people are thinking that way, he holds all the cards, surely?

If he doesn't sign and there are no takers, he goes for free in 2022. I'd say that makes us fairly big losers in that situation.

He holds all the cards, he has the entire control of his career and it's up to him to make the call on where that goes. 

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If he doesn't sign and there are no takers, he goes for free in 2022. I'd say that makes us fairly big losers in that situation.

He holds all the cards, he has the entire control of his career and it's up to him to make the call on where that goes. 

Exactly, it will be like it was with PEH.  We can't afford for him to go for nothing.

Yeah the current situation is the worst possible one for us really. At the moment we’ve got an injury prone striker who’s out of contract in 16 months. Last season we had a 20 goal striker. It’s hurt our performance, his performance, and ultimately his value. Selling him cheap means we won’t replace suitably. We needed him to hit the heights of last season to get maximum value. 

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

We should look at Patson Daka, although west ham will probably be back in for him in the summer and will almost certainly offer more money.

Hasn't impressed in Europe, bit of an Austrian League flat track bully. His team mate Sekou Koita is more impressive although he has a drugs ban until June because someone in his national team's medical department is an idiot and gave him and a team mate a banned substance. Abdallah Sima of Slavia Prague is someone to keep an eye on too.

33 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Papers saying he is holding out for a return to Liverpool this morning.

Where is this?

Please don't post a link to the "Ings says the atmosphere at Anfield was exciting" non-story.

• Like 2

He's going to be out for a few weeks and hopefully in that time we can secure points to be clear of any relegation fears. It is obvious to me that he will be off in the Summer and I would mirror the action we took with Hojberg last season and stop playing him and plan for next season without them.

He has been pretty useless (as have most of the players) in 2021 and the goals have been shared around more this season. Get a good price for him and buy a decent replacement. I Wouldn't be suprised if some teams are put off by him though, with recent injury niggles and that fact he is almost 30. 

I quite like the combination of Armstrong, Tella, Minamino and Adams switching positions and causing the opposition problems. Time for Adams to stake a claim as the main striker for next season too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Where is this?

Please don't post a link to the "Ings says the atmosphere at Anfield was exciting" non-story.

Yeah does look like the Mirror have made a a big assumption based on Ings favourite place to play being Anfield on a CL night. They won’t be playing CL there next season by the looks of it anyway!

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Sell him to the highest bigger in the summer. 

A 4 year contract on 100k a week (say) will be like an anchor round our neck in 12 months time. 

• Like 2

Based on 2020 form, I'd want to see the club do whatever they can to keep him, and maybe even leave him to the end of next season to leave on a free. But given his form since that Villa away game, if we can get £30m for him, feels like we'd be silly not to take it with 1 year left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Yeah does look like the Mirror have made a a big assumption based on Ings favourite place to play being Anfield on a CL night. They won’t be playing CL there next season by the looks of it anyway!

Looks like even Europa League is unlikely at the moment. At least he'd only have to sit on their bench once a week 🤣😥

• Haha 1

On 07/03/2021 at 11:03, Matthew Le God said:

1) Never scored more than league 5 goals in a season for one club. Of course that can change in the future as he is still young(ish).

2) Fulham don't own him, he is a RB Leipzig player.

Interest is accruing though.  The repayments not starting until 2025 doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea to reduce the balance before then (which we may or may not be able to do under the terms).

I was interested to see what his injury record was like since coning here. 10 games missed in 2019, none in 2020 and 6 games missed so far in 2021, but currently out for a few weeks you'd think.

Considering the type of injuries he has picked up, I think has come back incredibly quickly, perhaps too quickly, from injuries this year. I think in recent times he has lost his sharpness and that has contributed to his form falling from its best. Not sure there is any long terms concerns though.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 20:06, Noodles34 said:

He’s not a Saint, he’s a footballer. He’s not a fan. 
Clearly you haven’t realised, there is a big difference. 
You’ll have to explain how we saved his career. 

Hes supposedly a saints fan and got his name on a st marys brick.

We saved his career when it was dead at liverpool

Hes only interested in himself with the actions hes taking and lets hope it backfires.

• Like 2

Cut and run... £30m would be a great deal but we should take anything around £25m. Instead of trying to replace his goals outright, maybe we could take a Moneyball-type approach and try and make up the deficit across the front four by adding a goalscorer in the 10 to play with Armstrong (someone like Minamino) and try and pick up a shrewd signing up front early on in the window. 

7 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Hes only interested in himself with the actions hes taking and lets hope it backfires.

We bought him because we wanted a striker to play for us, nothing more. We didn’t ‘save his career’.

His injury at Villa when he looked on the top of his game, couple that with him getting Covid after the Liverpool win, i don't think you can expect him to be on top form.

The argument that he owes us is a nonsense, if he wants to play at a higher level whilst he still can, he's entitled to.

Can see him ending up at West Ham, especially if they get into CL/EL.

20 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

This is a joke, right?

The Ings we are seeing this season, is the Ings we saw the first season. He clearly takes time to get up to speed with some niggling injuries along the way. That Villa injury was a real blow, and he’s struggled to get up to speed since. I’ve no doubt that if he was with us next season he’d find his rhythm and form again. Unfortunately he almost certainly won’t be with us next season. 

21 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Ultimately he has do whatever he thinks is best for his family and career. If he wants to play at a higher or at least assess his options that's his prerogative. Hardly a hanging offence is it?

3 hours ago, Trout-Tickler said:

Ultimately he has do whatever he thinks is best for his family and career. If he wants to play at a higher or at least assess his options that's his prerogative. Hardly a hanging offence is it?

HangIngs

5 hours ago, Trout-Tickler said:

Already a multi millionaire and the club will lose millions on transfer and unable to replace.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Tbf that would be a good move for Ings because he will still play a fair amount just by shear numbers of games city will play over course of season. Probably suit him given injury record 

This was in The Athletic a few weeks ago, too.

33 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

If he wants to go City, it wouldn't be right to begrudge him that.

Would be a bad move if he wants game time though.

All the best and thanks for 37 goals.

If man City want him. Should make them pay over the odds. 40m should be about right with 1 year left on his contract. Plus add ons for winning trophies. Let's not bend over like we did with Hojberg.

43 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Tbf that would be a good move for Ings because he will still play a fair amount just by shear numbers of games city will play over course of season. Probably suit him given injury record 

Old news, this was out there a few weeks ago. City trying to decide between Erling Haaland and Danny Ings, yeah right. Some rubbish cooked up by the media these days and people lap it up.

Smoke screen for them getting Kane I reckon. So in that sense would be awful for us if Levy offers £10m for Danny... Can't see it happening. Perhaps destabilising him for the FA Cup Final 😉

14 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Old news, this was out there a few weeks ago. City trying to decide between Erling Haaland and Danny Ings, yeah right. Some rubbish cooked up by the media these days and people lap it up.

If Aguero leaves they'll still need two strikers because Jesus isn't reliable enough through the middle. Ings on the cheap (also adding to their sparse HG numbers) and Haaland would be a great summer's business.

37 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

It’s not rubbish. They’ve spoken to him. He’s basically been touted out to all of the top clubs.

The trouble for Danny is he’s the wrong age, got an awful injury record, been average this season and really only has had 1 solid season to suggest he can perform at that level. 

My guess and this isn’t a fact, is that city have him as a back up option if they fail to land their main target, who I’m guessing is Halaand. 

If they sign Ings, they’ll likely get another in as well.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Agent of player for sale in 'talking up interest from bigger clubs' shocker. Man City aren't going to be signing a frequently injured 29 year old who has been pretty average for a bottom third team this season.

He does tick a lot of boxes for them. 

Homegrown, played at a bigger club, fits their style, proven PL player, cheap. 

He’d be a solid back up option for them and is certainly a better option than playing a CM up top. 

I also don’t think he’ll end up there, I think they’ll get Haaland. I wouldn’t write it off though. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings