Danny Ings

sisi1992

I think Saints will be very prudent to be looking at replacing Ings now, regardless of whether he stays one more year. Personally I don’t think anyone will want to sign him with his injury record and I’m worried we might be offering a good contact to someone who is unfortunately a walking sick note. 

• Like 1

I’d happily have him re-sign despite the injuries. Yesterday was prime example of how important he can be for us.

this season has been heavily compacted and access to recovery facilities has been limited, so I take the injuries with pinch of salt.

sadly because we’ve been so atrocious he’ll still likely want to be off in the summer, even if the dream move won’t happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Is this a fact, or just one of your "facts" 😉

From a good source. You believe what you want. 

Im expecting to see him in a Tottenham shirt next season (that could change with a new manager coming in, but from what I’ve heard it won’t be a saints one). 

Just now, SKD said:

Im expecting to see him in a Tottenham shirt next season (that could change with a new manager coming in, but from what I’ve heard it won’t be a saints one). 

Not bothered either way mate, just move on whatever 

7 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Its a shame our club doesn't have more of a clue, more direction & more ambition. Danny could have been a legend.

Instead he'll leave, we'll get paid, and he'll go on to score a boat load of goals for not his home town club. Sadly. 

Wherever he goes he won't be scoring a boat load of goals.

He won't be the main man so limited game time, and apart from last season, he hasn't scored a boat load of goals in any season.

He's a good player but when his career is over he will see 2019-20 as his high point.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

He won't be the main man so limited game time, and apart from last season, he hasn't scored a boat load of goals in any season.

He's a good player but when his career is over he will see 2019-20 as his high point.

I would agree with that. If I was a Spurs fan and we were selling Kane and replacing him with Danny Ings, I'd be pretty pissed truth be told. That's a bit of a comedown. That's not me degrading his ability just because he's 'going to leave' either, I think we all appreciate that he's a very talented player....but not quite at that next level.

I think Danny is a perfect fit for a club such as us, middling premier league football team capable of having the odd purple patch here and there. Even if Danny stays, I'd be looking to get another number 9 anyway as I'm not sure how much you can rely on him over a season. I think he's only got 8 goals in such a stop/start season.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I would agree with that. If I was a Spurs fan and we were selling Kane and replacing him with Danny Ings, I'd be pretty pissed truth be told. That's a bit of a comedown. That's not me degrading his ability just because he's 'going to leave' either, I think we all appreciate that he's a very talented player....but not quite at that next level.

I think Danny is a perfect fit for a club such as us, middling premier league football team capable of having the odd purple patch here and there. Even if Danny stays, I'd be looking to get another number 9 anyway as I'm not sure how much you can rely on him over a season. I think he's only got 8 goals in such a stop/start season.

(Enters MLG mode - MLG mode initiated) 10  league and 1 cup goal this season. 😉

Many people will have assumed that Ings failure to renew is because he believes a better paying contract is likely from elsewhere.  If he's correct, I'd agree with those who say let him go.  The club could use the money, both fee and wages for a replacement with better longer-term prospects.  I'd let Adams go as well and use the combined funds for a higher grade player.  We have cover for the second and third strikers from players already in the squad.  With Ings and Adams we are in the bottom half of the table and need to do better. 

Edited by Professor

4 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Stay or go he will always be a Saints legend #ALWAYS_SFC

Not sure about that. More likely he'll be forgotten in 18 months like most of our ex-players, defectors, traitors call them what you will.

I don't think his injury record will change with the colour of his shirt sadly and for that reason few will want to take a chance on him unless he leaves on a free next summer. 

The Scousers really did con us out of £20m, bet they couldn't believe their luck. Was that about £1m per goal?

Don't get me wrong, on his day he is mesmerisingly brilliant.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Not sure about that. More likely he'll be forgotten in 18 months like most of our ex-players, defectors, traitors call them what you will.

I don't think his injury record will change with the colour of his shirt sadly and for that reason few will want to take a chance on him unless he leaves on a free next summer. 

The Scousers really did con us out of £20m, bet they couldn't believe their luck. Was that about £1m per goal?

Don't get me wrong, on his day he is mesmerisingly brilliant.

Jeez I've read some bollocks on here over the years, this is up there with the best of them Charlie...

Danny Ings has so been worth £20m, to doubt it is just embarrassing.

Given that if we sell him, he is likely to go for a min of £20m with only a year left on his deal, does that not sound like his value had risen since joining us? If it rose during that time, how were we conned.

I'm confused.

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, CB Fry said:

People said he wouldn't do well down here. I wouldn't write him off just yet. 

Ings contract situation has now just entered changing deck chairs on the Titanic territory. Boring, tedious, irrelevant, energy sapping, distracting and just plain irritating. Let him go, he has no allegiance to us whatsoever. That’s his entitlement he needs to get what he can get but it’s time to accept the inevitable and more importantly try and find someone vaguely as competent. He will be missed because he’s a great player (when fit) but we need to prepare for his inevitable exit. 

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Ings contract situation has now just entered changing deck chairs on the Titanic territory. Boring, tedious, irrelevant, energy sapping, distracting and just plain irritating. Let the twat go, he has no allegiance to us whatsoever. That’s his entitlement he needs to get what he can get but it’s time to accept the inevitable and more importantly try and find someone vaguely as competent. He will be missed because he’s a great player (when fit) but we need to prepare for his inevitable exit. 

Why is he a twat? 

36 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Ings contract situation has now just entered changing deck chairs on the Titanic territory. Boring, tedious, irrelevant, energy sapping, distracting and just plain irritating. Let the twat go, he has no allegiance to us whatsoever. That’s his entitlement he needs to get what he can get but it’s time to accept the inevitable and more importantly try and find someone vaguely as competent. He will be missed because he’s a great player (when fit) but we need to prepare for his inevitable exit. 

Twat?

Do you like anyone involved at Saints?!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

Twat?

Do you like anyone involved at Saints?!

I save my admiration to those who want to be at the club and don’t destabilise it. But having said that “twat” was a tad over the top and I will withdraw it. It’s just very frustrating that a local lad at his age is still having his head turned to the detriment of the team. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I save my admiration to those who want to be at the club and don’t destabilise it. But having said that “twat” was a tad over the top and I will withdraw it. It’s just very frustrating that a local lad at his age is still having his head turned to the detriment of the team. 

Fair enough, but you will struggle to find a player who would not put their own career as no1 priority, so whiost frustrating - absolutely - its ludicrous to apportion some kind of blame to Ings for doing so.

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Fair enough, but you will struggle to find a player who would not put their own career as no1 priority, so whiost frustrating - absolutely - its ludicrous to apportion some kind of blame to Ings for doing so.

Yep. The whole thing has dragged on too long though. It’s definitely become a distraction and I wonder how much his head has been turned by Levy. 

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Why is he a twat? 

To be fair, if you know him, he is a twat, but then again so are all footballers. 

Football wise, I don’t blame him for wanting to jump the sinking ship. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SKD said:

To be fair, if you know him, he is a twat, but then again so are all footballers. 

Football wise, I don’t blame him for wanting to jump the sinking ship. 

Ask anybody - anybody - at the Saints Foundation and I think you will find they have an entirely different view of Danny Ings....

56 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Devils advocate time. His contract is running down. Saints won't offer him what he thinks he's worth. Another club have indicated they'll sling him a mil or two as a signing on fee, plus Saints will have to pay a chunk as a loyalty payment on his transfer, then he gets another X thousand a week for a couple of years at least. Anyone can see that's tempting for the lad.

The above, or something like it, may have been the case for a while. Our Danny might want it to happen, he's a hired gun after all. That would unsettle Danny, that's obvious, but I'm not sure why it'd destabilise the whole club. 

What we also don't know is what's preventing a move or new deal. It's a negotiation. Whether it's Danny being unrealistic, or the club, or a potential new club, or the agents, we don't know. What I do know is that I wouldn't be a twat and label Danny a twat cos it hasn't got sorted yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InvictaSaint said:

Ask anybody - anybody - at the Saints Foundation and I think you will find they have an entirely different view of Danny Ings....

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is quite a sweeping generalisation! 🙄

"He may be a nob, but he's not a twat."

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I’m pretty sure most of the players we’ve ever signed have had their ‘head turned’ by Saints. I’m not sure we’re, well Saints, when it comes to acting this way.

There was a day when I’d have cared about this kind of thing. Now it’s just a case of getting the best fee we can and moving on, whoever it is. All I really care about is the recruitment in this regard. If we can replace him with someone younger and fitter, capable of scoring 10 goals every season, that’ll do.

On 24/04/2021 at 08:21, SKD said:

What? Even after limping off V spurs for his 5th injury this season right in front of Levy.

He's been linked with them virtually all year and after that last week I can't see it.

On 24/04/2021 at 08:21, SKD said:

I don't think "Danny Ings probably won't be a Saints player next season" is quite the red-hot ITK exclusive you seem to think it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Yep. The whole thing has dragged on too long though. It’s definitely become a distraction and I wonder how much his head has been turned by Levy. 

I think you're right, losing count of the number of times we get done like this, it's not just losing the player it's the whole disruption to the club by having your best players head turned , like what Liverpool did with VVD. 

Watching the goals from the 4-0 win at Fratton, Ings should have just gone on to secure his place as one of the clubs legends after that, but he's going to ruin it unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, InvictaSaint said:

Ask anybody - anybody - at Saintsweb Forum and I think there may be entirely different views of SKD's input....

7 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Would be absolutely bizarre if he wants to stay.  He's around the peak of his career, can move to win something and earn a lot more money - and avoid next season's relegation battle.  If he wants to stay that's brilliant but hard to understand.

He might not have a choice if these niggles and tweaks keep occurring or get worse. 

11 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Would be absolutely bizarre if he wants to stay.  He's around the peak of his career, can move to win something and earn a lot more money - and avoid next season's relegation battle.  If he wants to stay that's brilliant but hard to understand.

Love Ingsy but I don't think he starts for any of the top 8 richest (big six plus Leicester and Everton). Could probably move to a West Ham or Newcastle but I think that's reasonably unlikely. I can see him staying if he isn't guaranteed starting time for a team regularly competing for CL. Moving from lower mid table to upper mid table is probably not worth the risk when you know you have a good thing already.

On 26/04/2021 at 11:07, Jeremy Corbyn said:

If he signed a new contract, and managed to stay fit next season then there won’t be a relegation battle. It’s no coincidence his lack of fitness and goals this season has coincided with our god awful run of form.

His 20 odd goals in 2019-20 papered over some big fucking cracks, and we got lucky to have such a prolific season out of Ings. 

I really can’t see the likes of Spurs gambling on him now, however you dress it up there’s no doubt that 5 injuries in a season is more than just bad luck. He’ll probably end up backing himself into a corner and end up somewhere like West Ham.

1 minute ago, bpsaint said:

If he signed a new contract, and managed to stay fit next season then there won’t be a relegation battle. It’s no coincidence his lack of fitness and goals this season has coincided with our god awful run of form.

His 20 odd goals in 2019-20 papered over some big fucking cracks, and we got lucky to have such a prolific season out of Ings. 

I really can’t see the likes of Spurs gambling on him now, however you dress it up there’s no doubt that 5 injuries in a season is more than just bad luck. He’ll probably end up backing himself into a corner and end up somewhere like West Ham.

Somewhere like West Ham currently 5th in the table with a great chance of European football next season, who pay much better than we do. Sounds awful.

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Somewhere like West Ham currently 5th in the table with a great chance of European football next season, who pay much better than we do. Sounds awful.

They'll probably be looking for a replacement for Lingard.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

‘Tis but a blip, they’ll be back to their usual selves very soon I’m sure 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings