Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Saint_Jonny

6 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

We're football fans. We're not really well known for objective, rational thinking during a match.

Even footballers are not given to rational thinking because they celebrate when they've just scored instead of when the match has ended and they've won.

Edited by Singapore Saint

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Interestingly there was a former poster who used to disappear for a few weeks at a time putting it down to lavish holidays or golf....

Always and Glasgow making a return to bring the SWF back to its glory days. 

7 hours ago, le_tiss said:

Totally agree 

I have never seen a football forum board with so many negative people / supporters on it with unrealistic expectations and no idea about how the game is played 

Anyway well played Saints 

One could argue that expecting us to come back from 2 down, especially with our recent form, is unrealistic. 

A lot of happy clappers claiming they’re some kind of genius who can foresee the future. The face that the last time we came back from 2 down was 2016 (or somewhen), I think it’s fair to suggest at the time that we had lost the game. 

Absolutely at 2-0 Down and that start, people should be questioning what the hell is going on. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SKD said:

One could argue that expecting us to come back from 2 down, especially with our recent form, is unrealistic. 

A lot of happy clappers claiming they’re some kind of genius who can foresee the future. The face that the last time we came back from 2 down was 2016 (or somewhen), I think it’s fair to suggest at the time that we had lost the game. 

Absolutely at 2-0 Down and that start, people should be questioning what the hell is going on. 

I was expecting a close game with one goal in it and feared the worse when we went 2 down. If I'd have been at the match with a full stadium, I would have been thinking similar sentiments to you, although I'd hope that I would still try to get behind the team.

I suspect that the vitriol that you have generated weren't just about your comments after 28 minutes of the match, but more a reaction to what could be perceived by some as your high volume of negative comments and trivial squabbles about Ralph & the team over the last month or so (i.e. it was payback for that). I can't claim to know what the majority of this board is thinking, but some of the feedback certainly did resonate with me. 

I doubt that this will change your style of contribution to the board but may aid your understanding of the reaction. 

Best wishes

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SKD said:

Happy clappers 🤣

Should we call your style posters as gobby negatives 🤪

2 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I was expecting a close game with one goal in it and feared the worse when we went 2 down. If I'd have been at the match with a full stadium, I would have been thinking similar sentiments to you, although I'd hope that I would still try to get behind the team.

I suspect that the vitriol that you have generated weren't just about your comments after 28 minutes of the match, but more a reaction to what could be perceived by some as your high volume of negative comments and trivial squabbles about Ralph & the team over the last month or so (i.e. it was payback for that). I can't claim to know what the majority of this board is thinking, but some of the feedback certainly did resonate with me. 

I doubt that this will change your style of contribution to the board but may aid your understanding of the reaction. 

Best wishes

Very good and accurate post

4 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Happy clappers 🤣

Should we call your style posters as gobby negatives 🤪

There is absolutely nothing positive about being 2-0 down at home to Burnley. Anyone who claims they could see us turning it around at that point is lying. 

• Like 1

Is it really unrealistic that the 4 worst away team might not hold on to an early lead. Despite the popular view Burnley do give away points from a winning position.

We are slightly better away than them and I guarantee if we went 2 nil up early at Burnley people wouldn't be sitting back and counting the points. 

People think Burnley and Fulham are brilliant and we are shit.

• Like 1

Just now, SKD said:

There is absolutely nothing positive about being 2-0 down at home to Burnley. Anyone who claims they could see us turning it around at that point is lying. 

But we did, so the point is moot. 

Why are we focusing on being 2-0 down to Burnley? We won the game, 3 points, job done. Now planning for next season.

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Very true but we hadn't thrown in the towel and thankfully the team hadn't either 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

Best wishes

Other than reaching a cup semi final, what has there to be positive about in 2021? Relegation form a couple of absolute pastings. 

Challenging the narrative may seem negative, but is completely just given the recent run of form. 

Fair play to the team, they showed a bit of fight for once and managed to turn it around. I’m as surprised as everyone else, it’s certainly a pleasant surprise. 

Should we be going 2-0 Down to Burnley. No. That second goal was shambolic defending, but the other 70 odd minutes are something to build On I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Is it really unrealistic that the 4 worst away team might not hold on to an early lead. Despite the popular view Burnley do give away points from a winning position.

We are slightly better away than them and I guarantee if we went 2 nil up early at Burnley people wouldn't be sitting back and counting the points. 

People think Burnley and Fulham are brilliant and we are shit.

No, to be honest we think all 3 are shit. 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

I could see us turning it around and as such put everything I own on a Saints win. I'm a multi millionaire now and it's incredible.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

But we did, so the point is moot. 

Why are we focusing on being 2-0 down to Burnley? We won the game, 3 points, job done. Now planning for next season.

Because people are picking at comments made when we’re were 2-0 down and at the time justified comments.

But agree, great win full focus on the FA cup now. 

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

And your head and your body when battling for the ball and your hands when your in goal, otherwise the name is spot on.

I was just waiting for some pedant to pick me up with these points -as if I did not know!  My argument about shirt pulling is still valid and don't getme started about grappling

4 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Very true but we hadn't thrown in the towel and thankfully the team hadn't either 

Do you think people making comments on a fans forum has any impact on the game? fair play for keeping the faith. You’re obviously an optimist, I’m a realist. 

However, even a broken clock is right 2 times a day. Enjoy your day in the sunshine, 9/10 You’ll be wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I was just waiting for some pedant to pick me up with these points -as if I did not know!  My argument about shirt pulling is still valid and don't getme started about grappling

It is a contact sport, players fight for the ball and for space, it is part of the game.

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Do you think people making comments on a fans forum has any impact on the game? fair play for keeping the faith. You’re obviously an optimist, I’m a realist. 

However, even a broken clock is right 2 times a day. Enjoy your day in the sunshine, 9/10 You’ll be wrong. 

You're a realist for saying we'd definitely lose a game we won?

There's obviously games where we'd go 2-0 down and the outcome is pretty certain. At home against a team who aren't very good with over an hour left isn't necessarily one of them. 

10 minutes ago, SKD said:

Other than reaching a cup semi final, what has there to be positive about in 2021? Relegation form a couple of absolute pastings. 

Challenging the narrative may seem negative, but is completely just given the recent run of form. 

Fair play to the team, they showed a bit of fight for once and managed to turn it around. I’m as surprised as everyone else, it’s certainly a pleasant surprise. 

Should we be going 2-0 Down to Burnley. No. That second goal was shambolic defending, but the other 70 odd minutes are something to build On I guess. 

As Fun Boy Three and Bananarama memorably sang*     "It's not what you do. It's the way that you do it" 

* with apologies to the original artist 

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

You're a realist for saying we'd definitely lose a game we won?

There's obviously games where we'd go 2-0 down and the outcome is pretty certain. At home against a team who aren't very good with over an hour left isn't necessarily one of them. 

We’ve only won from being 2-0 down once since 2016. So yes, it’s pretty realistic to suggest we wouldn’t win this one. 

But we did, so it’s irrelevant and long May that be the case we turn it around. 

Edited by SKD

1 hour ago, SKD said:

I didn't mention you, nor talked about foreseeing the future? but your windmilling since my post is quite ridiculous, its still sunny - get away from the internet and get some fresh air :toppa:

We are all Saints fans (some positive, some negative and some incredibly bed wetting)

The Simpsons Dancing GIF

3 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

I didn't mention you, nor talked about foreseeing the future? but your windmilling since my post is quite ridiculous, its still sunny - get away from the internet and get some fresh air :toppa:

We are all Saints fans (some positive, some negative and some incredibly bed wetting)

The Simpsons Dancing GIF

I never said you did and to throw it back at you, I didn’t mention you either ☺️

20 minutes ago, SKD said:

I didn't say i thought we would turn it around because i didn't but I didn't give up hope.

Clearly what is said on a forum has no bearing on the game but the constant complaining gets on people's tits, just like it would if some moaning twat kept on and on in earshot at the stadium, most likely someone would tell them to give it a rest and doubt it would be polite

Its not over till its over

1 minute ago, Chapel End said:

I didn't say i thought we would turn it around because i didn't but I didn't give up hope.

Clearly what is said on a forum has no bearing on the game but the constant complaining gets on people's tits, just like it would if some moaning twat kept on and on in earshot at the stadium, most likely someone would tell them to give it a rest and doubt it would be polite

Its not over till its over

Cool. Just like in a stadium, as long as it’s legal and moral, if you’ve paid your money your entitled to an opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Cool. Just like in a stadium, as long as it’s legal and moral, if you’ve paid your money your entitled to an opinion. 

Correct but if you were banging on and on with same thing at the game like you do here, someone and likely more than one would have told you to STFU and you probably would.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Correct but if you were banging on and on with same thing at the game like you do here, someone and likely more than one would have told you to STFU and you probably would.

Being disgruntled with being 2-0 down inside 20 minutes, isn’t really banging on. However, let’s leave it here before another thread ruined ☺️

Great win. 

You can sense a few on here are furious inside that we won, means they cant wade in with their 'Ralph is out of his depth', 'we have no balls or leadership' drivel. Bizarre behaviour. Some need a reaiity check on who they're supporting - we will lose more than we win, so when we do win lets enjoy it and praise the team. Being a miserable f*** all the time cant be good in the long term

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SKD said:

Always and Glasgow making a return to bring the SWF back to its glory days. 

What's that poster's name because I may as well call myself "whatever his name is junior". You do know I'm the former Prince Harry, and great admirer of Jeremy Paxman of Universtity Challenge fame, right? Or, I could be Tiger Woods with the Kenyan father and not bad on a putter.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chapel End said:

I think this sums up my position. A few choice expletives as I watched a dodgy (and delayed) stream. I thought we were playing some decent football but as always succumbed to some robust physicality. Then we got one back and my hope soared and although I was going out to lunch managed to leave it as long as possible. Had to wait to watch a corner, then managed a couple more minutes to see the equaliser and then had to dash.

When we went 2 -0 down I certainly didn't see us winning but what gets me is the language some people use. It's so black and white and negative and admits no possibility of us getting back into the game. It's never "this looks beyond us now" and " we need to get a goal back soon" but always "we've lost" and "we're going to be relegated" and "we're rubbish".

That, I reckon, is what people object to, and the sheer relish with which some people seem to embrace our failures. Oh yes, and the repetitive nature of such comments by the same posters..

• Like 9

An excellent turnaround from us to win the game. Three brilliant goals from Ings, Armstrong and Redmond and on another day it could have been even more. Ings and Armstrong class and Redmond very good :) Prowsey so unlucky with his shot which hit the underside of the bar. Fraser made some great saves too.

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SKD said:

We’ve only won from being 2-0 down once since 2016. So yes, it’s pretty realistic to suggest we wouldn’t win this one. 

But we did, so it’s irrelevant and long May that be the case we turn it around. 

Coming back from behind isn't that straight forward a stat, Man City have the second worse record for winning points from losing positions, obviously because they don't often get into losing positions.

So it got me thinking how often do we go 2-nil down. I had a quick flick through our results and over the last three seasons and we've gone done 2-nil 22 times, lost 20 drawn 1 and won 1. 

We don't go down 2-nil down that often against our peer teams*, it's happened 8 times over the last three seasons (won 1 lost 7). So out of 62 games we've had just 8 opportunities to comeback from 2-nil down to beat a beatable team.

So yeah it doesn't happen much because we don't often go down 2-nil against our beatable teams, this has to be a good thing.

* not Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester, Everton

5 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Coming back from behind isn't that straight forward a stat, Man City have the second worse record for winning points from losing positions, obviously because they don't often get into losing positions.

So it got me thinking how often do we go 2-nil down. I had a quick flick through our results and over the last three seasons and we've gone done 2-nil 22 times, lost 20 drawn 1 and won 1. 

We don't go down 2-nil down that often against our peer teams*, it's happened 8 times over the last three seasons (won 1 lost 7). So out of 62 games we've had just 8 opportunities to comeback from 2-nil down to beat a beatable team.

So yeah it doesn't happen much because we don't often go down 2-nil against our beatable teams, this has to be a good thing.

* not Man City, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester, Everton

How can this be when Efan Ekokou expert punditry told us yesterday 2-0 isn’t a real lead?

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How can this be when Efan Ekokou expert punditry told us yesterday 2-0 isn’t a real lead?

That comment from him had me in stitches. What a bellend.

Another weird bit was Ward Prowses strike, no comment on it being a great strike just repeatedly saying "never a goal". Yep we don't need you to do the goal line technologies job buddy.

• Like 1

A few months ago I was delighted by our performance at home to Man Utd. At half time we were leading 2 nil. We eventually lost 3 2 but at least we had been 2 nil up. I sent congratulations to the lads at the end of the game for being 2 nil up at one stage. I am sure that SDR did the same.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, maysie said:

Another weird bit was Ward Prowses strike, no comment on it being a great strike just repeatedly saying "never a goal". Yep we don't need you to do the goal line technologies job buddy.

Funny how we all see things differently, I think he is one of the best co commentators around, for one thing, he seems to know a fair  bit about us.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Funny how we all see things differently, I think he is one of the best co commentators around, for one thing, he seems to know a fair  bit about us.

Ditto - was pleased that he had actually done some homework on us. Not the normal blurt out the same old rubbish that the last co commentators had blurted out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maysie said:

That strike took a small deflection off a defender which was enough to make it hit the bar.

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Ditto - was pleased that he had actually done some homework on us. Not the normal blurt out the same old rubbish that the last co commentators had blurted out.

And for once I didn't notice during the whole of the coverage any mentions of either 9 - 0. Maybe I just missed it?

Souness seems to be getting more and more miserable though!