Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Saint_Jonny

Deserved win and finally a little bit of fight. However, start like that against Leicester and it’ll be semi final over. 

Forster had his best game since Koeman days. Bednarek was dog shite. Vesty & JWP didn’t quite look right, but Bertrand did ok.

Diallo pretty poor and without OR our central midfield Is weak as Piss.  Theo found some good positions between the lines, picking up some intelligent positions but his execution was poor apart from the goal. Personally I think we look better with him in the side, more dangerous and a better shape.

Redmond was Redmond and Ings showed his class with that finish. 

Armstrong MotM in my opinion 

As for game management from Ralph , well we got over the line. He’d have got hammered had they equalised. We seemed to have them on the rack at 3-2 but the change handed them the momentum. Yes, we had chances to extend the lead, but I’m not convinced packing the defence is our best option . But fair play to Ralph, we saw it out. 

23 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

My best guess would be a 3-2 victory away at Preston when we were in the Championship and on the way down, so maybe 2008 ? McGoldrick in the 09th minute. It was an evening kick-off and cold, wet and windy.

Another very good shout. Mixing it up a bit - apart from the Mane/Pelle one and today.............................when was the last time we went 2-0 down and then won 3-2 in the top division of English football?

Redmond looks a different player now his confidence is up. The key is to keep this form going. 

Armstrong was class and Ings looked back to his usual self after a break.

Thought KWP was off colour and Walcott was very poor (apart from the assist)

Deserved win in the end and good to see us creating so many chances against a side that generally don't concede a lot of goals. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Another very good shout. Mixing it up a bit - apart from the Mane/Pelle one and today.............................when was the last time we went 2-0 down and then won 3-2 in the top division of English football?

1987-88 away at Coventry we were 2-0 down and won 3-2

23 minutes ago, stknowle said:

I seem to remember around 2003, we were 0-2 down to Fulham at SMS and went on to win 4-2. BT had a terrible game overall but still somehow managed to get a hattrick. 

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I seem to remember around 2003, we were 0-2 down to Fulham at SMS and went on to win 4-2. BT had a terrible game overall but still somehow managed to get a hattrick. 

Yes, had completely forgotten that one. Doesn't officially count though as we are looking for 3-2 wins after being 2 down in the top division so 4-2 counts that out (winky smiler emoji). Next.

Edited by stknowle

20 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

If Fulham do go down, do we get less money for Harrison Reed?

It will be a small price to pay if the alternative is they stay up at our expense. 

And yes, I realise there are numerous scenarios where we both stay up. 

1 hour ago, warsash saint said:

Rubbish - was obvious that Burnley would go even more route one so putting Salisu on gave us more in the air & helped Bednarek out!  

Fair enough. Game of opinions I thought for a few vital minutes the rest of the team looked a bit confused as to what Salisu was supposed to be doing. Couple of times too, it looked like he was not sure where he should be. Seems to be the more bodies we have at the back, the more confused we seem to be as a team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Deserved win and finally a little bit of fight. However, start like that against Leicester and it’ll be semi final over. 

Forster had his best game since Koeman days. Bednarek was dog shite. Vesty & JWP didn’t quite look right, but Bertrand did ok.

Theo found some good positions between the lines, picking up some intelligent positions but his execution was poor apart from the goal. Personally I think we look better with him in the side, more dangerous and a better shape.

Redmond was Redmond and Ings showed his class with that finish. 

Armstrong MotM in my opinion 

As for game management from Ralph , well we got over the line. He’d have got hammered had they equalised. We seemed to have them on the rack at 3-2 but the change handed them the momentum. Yes, we had chances to extend the lead, but I’m not convinced packing the defence is our best option . But fair play to Ralph, we saw it out. 

This is a good summary, although I would give more credit to Redmond. A few games ago (Everton away being the nadir) he couldn't control or pass a football. Today, in the first half, although not significantly contributing to our two goals, he was bright and looked dangerous. It's good to see his confidence is picking up again, let's hope it is sustainable. 

I also thought that Salisu was a reasonable change, Burnley were going longer by every passing minute and I thought it was the right move to bring on some more defensive cover for the inevitable bombardment in the last 10 minutes. I felt that the rhythm of the game was already starting to change before the substitution. 

Regardless - nice to have a win. The world is a better place tonight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Redmond looks a different player now his confidence is up. The key is to keep this form going. 

Armstrong was class and Ings looked back to his usual self after a break.

Thought KWP was off colour and Walcott was very poor (apart from the assist)

Deserved win in the end and good to see us creating so many chances against a side that generally don't concede a lot of goals. 

Redmond did still cock up for the first goal. But he took that volley really very well indeed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

What an excellent performance. Ok, one or two players were leggy and took time to get into their stride but once we got our act together there was never any doubt about the outcome. Class above Burnley who seemingly only have long balls into the box as their main armament. 

All of our goals were brilliantly executed from open play so well done to our front four who created a myriad of chances and were clinical in their finishing. Jimmy WP deserved a goal from his superb shot. Theo needs a couple of matches to sharpen up his fitness but he was as usual a bloody nuisance to the Burnley defence and capped it with a sublime assist for Redmond's winner.

MotM has to be Ings, playing for his transfer I guess but that was a £60m goal if ever there was one. Good change of tactics by Ralph late on to ensure our victory.

👋👋👋

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Still don't think Bednerak has mentally recovered from the Man Utd game, just seems to want to wrestle his marker these days rather go for the ball, he was the same against England. 

Why is he not trying to head that, why is he trying to go in with his foot there when clearly Wood is going to look for the flick on. (you also have to wonder why Vestergaard shouldn't have been the one sticking to Wood all afternoon)

KWP just made a rash and clumsy challenge, he's a good enough defender that a lumbering beast like Peters shouldn't get past him anyway, that guy is basically a bad centre-back playing left back. He's been good this year so let him off and put it down to a bit of match sharpness having not really had a run of games. 

Biggest thing was the fight and spirit to come back, the last thing you want to do is give Burnley a headstart in a game and have to break them down, and we gave them two, but in the end we should have scored 5 or 6. Ralph said they had been working on their final third play and it showed, some better finishing and a less accomplished keeper (Pope is probably the best shot stopped in the league IMO) and it would have been 5 or 6, but it made for a nervy end. I think Ralph is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't there, had we just kept going and then conceded a counter attack people would have been criticising him for not bringing on some more defenders, and we had a lot of people out there either having had a busy international break or coming back from injury, so tiredness was always going to be a factor. 

I think is shows though full team that is fit and match sharp then we are a lot better than probably our position, it's just we've had key players out for long spells and then have struggled to get up to speed. It's good to see Ings looking sharp so soon after another injury as he's had a fairly stop start season. 

Hopefully we can put back to back wins together against WBA and go into the semi-final fully fit and full of confidence. 

• Like 1

Defensively like a rabbit in the headlights. I don’t see it 6-2 for us. As soon as redmond scored they upped their game and we were hanging on. Few breaks with Walcott and Che but going to happen when they are throwing bodies forward. 

shout to djenepo. Came on and only one with a cool head all game. Might have lost it if he hadn’t brought in that control. Some great cameos from him in more defensive roles this season. Think he is going to be a real asset for us as Ralph gets more time to work with him and mould him as a reliable starter and dangerous going forward. Left field MoM choice. 

Edited by tpv01

16 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Still don't think Bednerak has mentally recovered from the Man Utd game, just seems to want to wrestle his marker these days rather go for the ball, he was the same against England.

Yep, fully agree with this. I’ve been a big Bednarek fan but since the OG against Utd and the subsequent drubbing and (overturned) red he has looked lost at sea.  Has to double check all his decision which slows his game down, and when he doesn’t the pass, block or tackle is rash. 

12 minutes ago, Pancake said:

Yep, fully agree with this. I’ve been a big Bednarek fan but since the OG against Utd and the subsequent drubbing and (overturned) red he has looked lost at sea.  Has to double check all his decision which slows his game down, and when he doesn’t the pass, block or tackle is rash. 

I'd be tempted to play Salisu for the rest of this season, take Jan out of the firing line for a bit. He is currently a total liability.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd be tempted to play Salisu for the rest of this season, take Jan out of the firing line for a bit. He is currently a total liability.

Agree with this. Although it does upset the balance of the team given vestergaard prefers the left hand. 

Bednerak gets an easy ride of things imo. Pretty average player. 

A bit harsh, he played a lot of minutes for Poland and was clearly a bit leggy today. Maybe Ralph should have considered resting him but probably didn't trust Salisu enough to risk leaving Jan out.

• Like 1

Just now, SKD said:

Agree with this. Although it does upset the balance of the team given vestergaard prefers the left hand. 

Bednerak gets an easy ride of things imo. Pretty average player. 

When he's on form he's no better than an average, solid defender. Pretty reliable. But when he's bad you just have to buckle up and hope for the best.

It's certainly someone we could upgrade on, I think Vestergaard is by far the more refined player. I'd love him to have a better player alongside him.

Just now, Charlie Wayman said:

A bit harsh, he played a lot of minutes for Poland and was clearly a bit leggy today. Maybe Ralph should have considered resting him but probably didn't trust Salisu enough to risk leaving Jan out.

He's been a bit of a mess for weeks tbh. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread
18 minutes ago, Pancake said:

Personally think he needs a break. Nothing more he just looks a little jaded.

When he's on form he's no better than an average, solid defender. Pretty reliable. But when he's bad you just have to buckle up and hope for the best.

It's certainly someone we could upgrade on, I think Vestergaard is by far the more refined player. I'd love him to have a better player alongside him.

Yep, vestergaard and Salisu has the fundamentals to be a pretty decent partnership.. assuming JV can adapt to play on the right hand side.

So happy with that result - that was Saints season in a game in reverse - so bad first 28 mins (although unlucky to have that early penalty against us) - then brilliant after Armstrong's goal...then back to nervy 'defending' in the last 10 minutes. 

Noon start means 4.00am in Vancouver - went through the same emotions as most of us after going 0-2 down but something told me not to fast-forward and was rewarded for watching it through.

We really did deserve to win that on chances created, shots and shots on target.

• Like 1

Best attacking display for a long time and no coincidence with Ings and Walcott back. I know Walcott sometimes frustrates with the final pass or finish, but we are so much better with him in the side. Redmond played well again too.

Defensively though, we were awful. Bednarek was dreadful and couldn't cope with Wood, KWP was poor and made Pieters look like peak Roberto Carlos. We really miss Romeu in those games, as their centre mids bullied Diallo for most of that first half.

Way more positives that negatives though and we can start to look upwards and build confidence for a winnable semi final. COYR. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He was fucking woeful against Everton. He couldn’t handle Calvert-Lewin I dread to think what woods would have done to him today. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SKD said:

The reactions on page 6 may be funny, but the funniest thing in the match thread is people trying to claim that wasn’t a penalty 😂😂😂😂

No, the funniest thing is you failing to accept that Walker-Peters was fouled before the penalty incident, which should have made any consideration of a penalty void. VAR totally cocked up.

• Like 4

Just now, Shroppie said:

No, the funniest thing is you failing to accept that Walker-Peters was fouled before the penalty incident, which should have made any consideration of a penalty void. VAR totally cocked up.

Dear god. Yet again you’ve got your red and white specs on. Is there ever a game where you don’t see some perceived injustice.

1 minute ago, Shroppie said:

It is certainly a mystery that the pull back was ignored. 

Non penalty against Mee was odd too, especially after the Bertrand one was given against Wolves. 

They seems to have changed the rules or interpretation 

3 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

That’s what they said on the radio, it will be interesting to see it again. I noticed the ref was only shown the tackle and not what happened just before it in the pitch side replay.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Absolutely no foul on KWP. If that was the other way round, you’d be fuming if it wasn’t given. 

Both players had hands on each other, the attacker was just stronger. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

It is certainly a mystery that the pull back was ignored. 

Non penalty against Mee was odd too, especially after the Bertrand one was given against Wolves. 

They seems to have changed the rules or interpretation 

It wouldn’t have been ignored. It would have formed part of the VAR check (build up not the actual foul, which is why the ref didn’t see it). They didn’t see it as enough to be a foul. Personally, I agree with them. 

10 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

This is how I saw it aswell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

In fairness having just watched back again, there is a very slight pull back. You’ve seen them given, but I think it was strength that got the attacker ahead of KWP rather than the possible foul. 

Had the foul been given, I think it would have been very soft, but you’ve seen them given. No saints players complained including KWP, which often is a signal. 

7 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Dunno.

I tried Blackmore and Merrington on the saints app but they're lagging a good minute behind Sky on the TV, so don't know what to do now.

I can't watch it on mute.

Just catching up on the thread but whoever it was it felt like I was watching Burnley Supporter's TV! Even when Armstrong had an amazing shot - it was all about how good Pope's save was!