Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Saint_Jonny

Can't remember the last time I started one of these - probably a bad omen.

Anyway - what do we reckon? Ings presumably goes straight into the team if fit. What about Theo - straight in or on the bench? Taki will probably be jetlagged.

Harsh to drop Redmond after his heroics vs Bournemouth?

---------Forster----------

KWP - Bedz - Vest - Berty

Armstrong - Diallo - JWP - Redmondinho

-------Ings-----Adams

Edited by Saint_Jonny

Difficult selection dilemma for this one in attacking mid. With Ings fit and Adams on form surely those two will start up top but Walcott also back, Redmond and Djenepo coming off the back of a very good game at Bournemouth, and Armstrong being our best attacking mid it leads to a tricky choice and that's not even mentioning Minimino. Personally I'd play Armstrong and Djenepo against Burnley as I think the pace and directness will be important against defensive playstyle. Maybe Redmond in for Djenepo but I like that Djenepo is better against the ball which should help us recycle it quickly. Rest of the team picks itself really.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Serious question. 
who would take three points and losing the semi? 

🙋🏾‍♂️ It would probably secure our premier league status and put us back in with a shot of 11th. I’d take that over playing in a pointless cup final. 

41 minutes ago, Turkish said:

🙋🏾‍♂️ It would probably secure our premier league status and put us back in with a shot of 11th. I’d take that over playing in a pointless cup final. 

Oh 100%. Think of the jobs saved as a result. 

That extra couple of million for finishing 14th rather than 15th could buy us a new star ‘rough diamond’ who’s young hungry and therefore guaranteed to improve. 

1 hour ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Why do people keep asking this question? We have lots of football matches. I assume the team goes out to try and win them all. So dumb.

Because we're going to be Wigan we're going to be Wigan we're going to be Wigan we're going to be Wigan we're 

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Lets smash Burnley and then pick up another 3 points against WBA. Be safe as houses then and focus can shift to reaching the FA Cup final

Probably the worst case scenario is us only picking up 3 points from one of the those games, the boys will go into the semi complacent thinking we are safe, Leciester will beat us then the knock on effect is confidence is low so we go on another terrible run and go down.

18 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Think he might start with Ings on the bench for this one.

I'd like to see Ings coming on md-game. Not a full 90 mutes for his first game back. 

How good it is to have choices in midfield and attack again.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Probably the worst case scenario is us only picking up 3 points from one of the those games, the boys will go into the semi complacent thinking we are safe, Leciester will beat us then the knock on effect is confidence is low so we go on another terrible run and go down.

no, we only go down if we win the cup

4 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Could be worse. In order of how worse it could be.....

1) Mike 'me myself and I' Dean

2) Graham 'great scot' Scott

3) John Moss..........oh shit............

Jon Moss has been excellent when referring Southampton recently.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I can’t keep up. I thought we were going down if we beat Leicester 

Do try to keep up Turkish....this is important.

If we go down against Burnley and then go down to West Brom as well, then the game's up and we'll probably go down. We really need to step-up against Leicester in order not to go down against them as well, in the Cup. We will then need to face up to Leicester in the league to make sure we don't go down. Basically if our heads go down then we won't stay up, but if we keep our heads up then the likelihood is we won't go down. Should we reach the Cup Final and we are still up, then we probably won't go down.

I hope that helps.

Bloody Hell, this Jack Daniel's tastes good tonight.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

Do try to keep up Turkish....this is important.

If we go down against Burnley and then go down to West Brom as well, then the game's up and we'll probably go down. We really need to step-up against Leicester in order not to go down against them as well, in the Cup. We will then need to face up to Leicester in the league to make sure we don't go down. Basically if our heads go down then we won't stay up, but if we keep our heads up then the likelihood is we won't go down. Should we reach the Cup Final and we are still up, then we probably won't go down.

I hope that helps.

Bloody Hell, this Jack Daniel's tastes good tonight.

What do we get if we finish 14th, because I’m told on here that is our objective, so I guess there must be some sort of trophy and back door into the Europa League, which wouldn’t be much use, as that would just be a distraction and may affect us finishing 14th the following season. 

Edited by Noodles34

3 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Predictably, JWP has returned to Southampton as a “Fitness Precaution” .......FFS!! 

Would be good if we could have added this comment to the JWP specific thread. Sadly it was derailed and has now been locked 😕

I am confident he'll appear and make his usual 90min.

Edited by Saint86

Looking forward to this. Should have plenty of options for who starts. Assuming all bar the long term inured are fit (please be fit JWP) and given those who have been away for internationals, especially those who played a lot or travelled far over the past couple of days, I think I would go with:

----------------Forster----------------

KWP ---Bednarek-----Vestergard-----Bertrand

----------JWP -------Diallo------------

Walcott--------------------Armstrong

---------Ings---------Redmondinho----

Subs: McCarthy, Ramsay, Stephens, Salisu, Jankewitz, Djenepo, Minamino, McAdams, Tella

Would have put McAdams up front with Ings if he hadn't played most of the match last night. Just feel a fresher, more agile, Redders will offer a bit more to open up a solid Burnley defence. If JWP not fit to start put Armstrong in CM, drop Redmond to AM and Che goes up front.

Theo, Stuey and Redders can swap their positions as and when to give Burnley other problems. If all is going well, bring on Che and Moussa for Ings and Theo on the hour mark (or Tella for Ings Che starts).

2-0 Saints.

• Like 1

We got the points earlier in the season when they had players out through injury.  But its Burnley, reckon they'll do a job on us and even the score.  0 - 1 Burnley in the 87th minute with their only shot on target,  as per usual.  It's Burnley.....

Ward-Prowse potentially injured, Romeu injured, Armstrong just come back from international and may need resting, and Jankewitz just had a great couple of games. Stars might be aligning for him to start.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

There has been no indication of an injury.

Fitness related issue got him sent home from international duty. It is some indication. I agree he is probably fine but he could be rested or benched to allow him to return to full steam.

44 minutes ago, TWar said:

Fitness related issue got him sent home from international duty. It is some indication. I agree he is probably fine but he could be rested or benched to allow him to return to full steam.

He won't be. He'll play 90 mins

I wouldn't have thought JWP is injured. This has happened before, he's returned as a 'precaution' and then plays 90 mins next week.

The guy is a freak in terms of fitness. I think we had a little chat with England prior to this due to our already depleted squad, and it was probably made clear to us that he wouldn't play all 3 games, as Kalvin Philips is the chosen one at the mo. It's nice that little old Southampton can be heard.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Ward-Prowse potentially injured, Romeu injured, Armstrong just come back from international and may need resting, and Jankewitz just had a great couple of games. Stars might be aligning for him to start.

I think JWP will be okay to start. Armstrong was rested on Wednesday; didn't come off the bench. He should be fine for Sunday. Jankewitz has played the most minutes of those mentioned over the past week and a bit. Other than that.........

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I wouldn't have thought JWP is injured. This has happened before, he's returned as a 'precaution' and then plays 90 mins next week.

The guy is a freak in terms of fitness. I think we had a little chat with England prior to this due to our already depleted squad, and it was probably made clear to us that he wouldn't play all 3 games, as Kalvin Philips is the chosen one at the mo. It's nice that little old Southampton can be heard.

No doubt there was a prior arrangement between the club and the England set up that JWP would play only two matches from three at most even if selected. As it turned out he played so well against San Marino that that possibly he would have been an automatic starter against Poland, so the vague story was concocted to explain his absence. 

As for team selection, would it be too risky to start with Theo & Ings up top?

Edited by Charlie Wayman

42 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No doubt there was a prior arrangement between the club and the England set up that JWP would play only two matches from three at most even if selected. As it turned out he played so well against San Marino that that possibly he would have been an automatic starter against Poland, so the vague story was concocted to explain his absence. 

Che has scored in each of our last three league games and has just got a goal and an assist in two starts for his country. He shouldn't be dropped when in this form. If he's fit, he must play imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Che has scored in each of our last three league games and has just got a goal and an assist in two starts for his country. He shouldn't be dropped when in this form. If he's fit, he must play imo.

Those games aren't particularly relevant. Neither opponent was close to being a PL level team.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Those games aren't particularly relevant. Neither opponent was close to being a PL level team.

Still will be good for his confidence. Strikers thrive off momentum and that will build it. Alongside the fact he is on a mini-hot streak in the league. Got to start for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

So that was a load of rubbish then, calf problem, not trained. Cursed internationals. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic