Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Saint_Jonny

53 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Saints 1-2 Burnley

We always come unstuck against them, predictable Burnley will take two of their three chances and defend.

I imagine us pressing high, playing in the final third but ultimately not doing enough to gain a point.

Then the usual PR crap post match of “unlucky, unfortunate, not our day” will ring over social media.

Did we not win this season's first meeting?

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Fulham have lost three of the last four, scoring a breathtaking two entire goals in the last five matches.

Not sure how that is "in form". They need some actual, real form for them get to or past the 40 points you think we need to be clear of them. 

Newcastle are shite, West Brom are already relegated.

If you swapped our situation with theirs and put us 18th, with 26 goals and 5 wins  there is no way you'd be identifying the team in 14th, seven points clear as the team going down. No way on earth.

We're not going to be relegated and we should be absolutely going for it in the cup. Not that this us anything other than a moronic debate - whatever result we get today has no relationship to what happens at Wembley in a fortnight.

Absolutely absurd.

Only a matter of time before West Brom overtake us. Only 12 point behind with 8 games left. Also as they are scoring 5 goals a game they are on track to overtake our goal difference.

also need to be mindful of the new manager bounce at Sheffield Utd.  Really difficult to who is going to get relegated with us,

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Did we not win this season's first meeting?

Of course, it must’ve been one of the most drab matches played this season.

Lose today and confidence will be rock bottom again and we’ll struggle to win our upcoming games. 
Win today and I think we can kick on and have a good end to the season.

I’m very much a fan of Ralph but he needs to adapt to how a game unfolds, and not be hesitant to make changes or adjust formations or tactics of things don’t go our way.

No JWP possibly today is a huge loss, already with Romeu out. We need aggression and leadership, players that will shout and rile other players up. Burnley have that, we don’t.

5 minutes ago, whelk said:

Only a matter of time before West Brom overtake us. Only 12 point behind with 8 games left. Also as they are scoring 5 goals a game they are on track to overtake our goal difference.

also need to be mindful of the new manager bounce at Sheffield Utd.  Really difficult to who is going to get relegated with us,

Have to agree , I’m sure Fulham should be above us by now to !

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Saints 1-2 Burnley

We always come unstuck against them, predictable Burnley will take two of their three chances and defend.

I imagine us pressing high, playing in the final third but ultimately not doing enough to gain a point.

Then the usual PR crap post match of “unlucky, unfortunate, not our day” will ring over social media.

Have you forgotten the last time we played them? 

9 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Respect your choice but disagree. Also think it's not a moot debate...we played with freedom and some attacking flair against Bournemouth - and abject against Newcastle, Brighton and others. Don't get me wrong - I'd LOVE to see us win the cup - I still remember exactly where I was when we won in 1976 (playing cricket for the school at an away game against Loretto and listening to the game on a smuggled radio...getting strange looks for screaming when Bobby Stokes scored)...so I don't undervalue it.

Neither do I underestimate our situation in the league. I reckon we'll need at least another 6 points, possibly 7 or 8. We have the worst form in the division. Fulham are in form and look like getting out of trouble. Newcastle have a habit of waking up when they need to. Burnley looked like Brazil against Everton - and West Brom looked 500% better than us today vs Chelsea. So where are we getting our points?

Would you really swap a (let's face it) a rank-outside chance of winning a Cup Final for our Premier League security? 90 minutes at Wembley (be there anyway for the semi-final, dilutes it) vs a drop to the Championship and potential obscurity for years to come?

I wouldn't.

What does the performance against Bournemouth have to do with anything? Surely winning is winning, wherever you win a game as well as we did, i'm not sure I can class that as a negative - I'm not sure what you're getting at there. We will need at most, in my opinion, 3 to 4 points.

Fulham's form has been overstated. They haven't scored in two and lost to Leeds last time out, a mid-table team. And why do you have more confidence in Newcastle, with Steve Bruce at the helm and no fit attackers, than us? I don't get it. 

We can do both this year - stay up and compete in the cup, so let's not worry about winning against Leicester.

I wouldn't want to be relegated either, but the reality is that it is incredibly unlikely and as rank outside as us winning the cup. (I'd say we've got more chance of winning the cup)

Edited by S-Clarke

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Fulham have lost three of the last four, scoring a breathtaking two entire goals in the last five matches.

Not sure how that is "in form". They need some actual, real form for them get to or past the 40 points you think we need to be clear of them. 

Newcastle are shite, West Brom are already relegated.

If you swapped our situation with theirs and put us 18th, with 26 goals and 5 wins  there is no way you'd be identifying the team in 14th, seven points clear as the team going down. No way on earth.

We're not going to be relegated and we should be absolutely going for it in the cup. Not that this us anything other than a moronic debate - whatever result we get today has no relationship to what happens at Wembley in a fortnight.

Absolutely absurd.

Finally, someone speaking sense on here.

Forster

KWP

Bednarek

Vestergaard

Bertrand

JWP

Diallo

Walcott

Armstrong

McAdams

Ings

Subs:
McCarthy
Salisu                            Stephens
Jankewitz                    Redmond                       Djenepo                       Minamino                             
Tella                             N’Lundulu

Forster

KWP

Bednarek

Vestergaard

Bertrand

Armstrong

Diallo

JWP

Theo

Redmond

Ings

Bench -

McCarthy

Salisu

Stephens

Jankewitz

Tella

Adams

Djejenpo

------

Back to our start of season strong-ness tbh. Only Romeu missing from that squad who'd be a starter.

2 minutes ago, obelisk said:

If we don't get a result with that team it might be time to give up.

Agree. At last, Ralph has almost his whole squad to pick from. Only Romeu and Smallbone not available. What a change to see such a strong starting line-up with equally strong options on the bench. 

Hopefully Danny, Redders & Theo have been spending the last couple of weeks working on some new attacking ideas. Anything inventive in the final third has to be better than some of the stuff served up so far in 2021.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton vs Burnley - Match Thread

Maybe Adams needs resting having played three times and started twice in the last 7 days. Still surprised not to see him. JWP fit is good but means we will have to wait a bit longer to see Jankewitz get another shot.

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

Tremendous side. Tear into them and take our chances for once. 4-0

Ings, Walcott, Diallo and KWP all to go off injured, fail to take out chances then lose to a defensive error 10 minutes from the end you mean

14 minutes ago, TWar said:

Maybe Adams needs resting having played three times and started twice in the last 7 days. Still surprised not to see him. JWP fit is good but means we will have to wait a bit longer to see Jankewitz get another shot.

Im not. Adams is bang average and Redmond was MOTM last time out and that performance was much better than anything Adams has done. 

31 minutes ago, DT said:

Very nearly our strongest team. Take Redmond out and would be very confident of getting three points. 

But he was excellent in the last game, will be fresh, and is widely thought to be a confidence player, so would be crazy to drop him.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic