Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Saint_Jonny

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Still sounds like we're just resting him to be honest. He'll be fine for Sunday.

Yes, resting him because he has a calf problem, clearly not in a position to have trained yet. He might well be OK for Sunday, but he clearly wasn't sent home because of some arrangement that he wouldn't play, some people do come up with some nonsense. There was no need to send him home if he didn't have a problem, not like it was an overseas game, he could have stayed with the squad at Wembley and just sat on the bench.

49 minutes ago, Scallysaint said:

For me  Adams has to start. He is getting better and is on a good run. 
I would have Danny and Theo on the bench.

Rest of team picks itself 

Not entirely. Who would you play as the second 'number 10' with Armstrong? Minamino, Redmond, Tella or Djenepo?

58 minutes ago, Scallysaint said:

For me  Adams has to start. He is getting better and is on a good run. 
I would have Danny and Theo on the bench.

Rest of team picks itself 

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not entirely. Who would you play as the second 'number 10' with Armstrong? Minamino, Redmond, Tella or Djenepo?

MLG doesn't sleep.  He waits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think we have to play Redmond after his performance in the last match. Plus he's been here throughout the international break no doubt working on stuff for the Burnley game. 

Whether he's up top again or playing as a 10 I'm not sure, and I guess depends on other players fitness. 

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

We'll beat Burnley.  I feel the break will have done us the world of good and we seem to be inching towards everyone being back (with the exception of Romeu)

Agreed. Dunno why, but I think there'll be goals galore, something like 4-1 to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Dunno why, but I think there'll be goals galore, something like 4-1 to us. 

I don't know why either. Burnley are exactly the kind of team Ralph-ball struggles against. They won't play out from the back - they'll hoof it long - so that takes away about 95% of our attacking ideas.

They'll sit deep and compact and watch as we slowly do fuck all with the ball on the halfway line.

It'll be 1-0, 0-0, or 0-1.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I don't know why either. Burnley are exactly the kind of team Ralph-ball struggles against. They won't play out from the back - they'll hoof it long - so that takes away about 95% of our attacking ideas.

They'll sit deep and compact and watch as we slowly do fuck all with the ball on the halfway line.

Thanks, you suitably reminded me how amazingly uninventive we are in the final 3rd 🤫

8 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Sadly I agree. We’ve struggled against this lot recently. One win in 8 I think, it’s usually a draw or we’re on the end of a narrow loss. Nothing to suggest Sunday will be any different.

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

I think that it is very much too early to be ruling out 1-1.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Sadly I agree. We’ve struggled against this lot recently. One win in 8 I think, it’s usually a draw or we’re on the end of a narrow loss. Nothing to suggest Sunday will be any different.

It’s not just saints that struggle with this type of football tho is it?

10 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

It’s not just saints that struggle with this type of football tho is it?

No, but we have a particularly poor record against burnley. One win eight against a team We should really look to always beat if we want to finish top 10. That not me being arrogant but you expect it to be a bit more of an even record.

Edited by Turkish

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

No, but we have a particularly poor record against burnley. One win eight against a team We should really look to always beat if we want to finish top 10. That not me being arrogant but you expect it to be a bit more of an even record.

Games at St Mary's against teams who play this style we've often looked slow , ponderous with lack of ideas, then get hit on the break or set piece. Definitely need to get the first goal. 

Having said that I thought Burnley were excellent away to Everton few weeks ago, played some nice football and took the game to Everton so who knows.  

I'll go for 1-1 

5 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I think we'll win. Ralph will have had more than enough time on the training ground to show them how to break down teams i.e. don't do what we did against Brighton and play at 2 mph.

To be fair Ralph has had over 2 years to show the team how to break down teams with 11 men behind the ball.

maybe somebody should teach Ralph how 

51 minutes ago, IFHP said:

To be fair Ralph has had over 2 years to show the team how to break down teams with 11 men behind the ball.

Be careful, usually any criticism of the supreme leader on here results in a barrage of abuse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IFHP said:

1. Most teams in the world struggle with this, England showed it against Poland for example with far more attacking resources than we have, it's the nature of football that if you restrict space in behind and put lots of bodies in the box it is hard to score.  City only managed 2 against Burnley, Utd only beat them with a Pogba long range strike.

2. This squad has been struggling with this for about 4-5 years, if not longer. We have struggled against Burnley in the past. 

It's why JWP is probably important to play as set pieces are a good route to break teams down that sit deep and defend.  

Come on chaps think positively. We have nearly everyone back from injury, Ralph has had a couple of weeks to work with most of his players, one or two back from international duty where they performed well will aim to push on and impress, we may be  in for a surprise. This is one that we should anticipate with relish.

Despite the stubbornness and pedestrianism of Burnley that often frustrates more accomplished sides, I think we will come out of the blocks with pace and determination and overwhelm them early on. We could be 3-0 up at half time. Bring it on!

Edited by Charlie Wayman

I have horrendous memories of losing to them last year just before lockdown, in torrential pissing rain with a poxy 12pm kick off, on my birthday. Great day that was. 

Edited by LGTL

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

1. Most teams in the world struggle with this, England showed it against Poland for example with far more attacking resources than we have, it's the nature of football that if you restrict space in behind and put lots of bodies in the box it is hard to score.  City only managed 2 against Burnley, Utd only beat them with a Pogba long range strike.

2. This squad has been struggling with this for about 4-5 years, if not longer. We have struggled against Burnley in the past. 

It's why JWP is probably important to play as set pieces are a good route to break teams down that sit deep and defend.  

Southgate and his 2 CDM’s against inferior teams, probably isn’t the benchmark for creativity. 

On 02/04/2021 at 14:35, LiberalCommunist said:

Burnley then Wba. 

Get this right, and we are in for a good end to the season. Maybe even benefitting from the international break for a change. 

That’ll be the Albion that just beat Chelsea 5-2 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2021 at 14:35, LiberalCommunist said:

Burnley then Wba. 

Get this right, and we are in for a good end to the season. Maybe even benefitting from the international break for a change. 

4 points from these 2 games and we can enjoy the last few games and hopefully a cup final...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

So JWP in or not?

I would definitely take 3 points here over an FA Cup result if we were forced to choose - I said that when we played Wolves twice in a row.

Why? Let's not get into that debate again! It does seem pointless prioritising winning against Burnley for the battle for '14th' than wanting to get into a Cup Final.

Give me the two wolves or arsenal games again, and I'd still choose the FA Cup wins.

Let's go all out and win a cup I'd say.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Why? Let's not get into that debate again! It does seem pointless prioritising winning against Burnley for the battle for '14th' than wanting to get into a Cup Final.

Give me the two wolves or arsenal games again, and I'd still choose the FA Cup wins.

Let's go all out and win a cup I'd say.

Respect your choice but disagree. Also think it's not a moot debate...we played with freedom and some attacking flair against Bournemouth - and abject against Newcastle, Brighton and others. Don't get me wrong - I'd LOVE to see us win the cup - I still remember exactly where I was when we won in 1976 (playing cricket for the school at an away game against Loretto and listening to the game on a smuggled radio...getting strange looks for screaming when Bobby Stokes scored)...so I don't undervalue it.

Neither do I underestimate our situation in the league. I reckon we'll need at least another 6 points, possibly 7 or 8. We have the worst form in the division. Fulham are in form and look like getting out of trouble. Newcastle have a habit of waking up when they need to. Burnley looked like Brazil against Everton - and West Brom looked 500% better than us today vs Chelsea. So where are we getting our points?

Would you really swap a (let's face it) a rank-outside chance of winning a Cup Final for our Premier League security? 90 minutes at Wembley (be there anyway for the semi-final, dilutes it) vs a drop to the Championship and potential obscurity for years to come?

I wouldn't.

6 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Respect your choice but disagree. Also think it's not a moot debate...we played with freedom and some attacking flair against Bournemouth - and abject against Newcastle, Brighton and others. Don't get me wrong - I'd LOVE to see us win the cup - I still remember exactly where I was when we won in 1976 (playing cricket for the school at an away game against Loretto and listening to the game on a smuggled radio...getting strange looks for screaming when Bobby Stokes scored)...so I don't undervalue it.

Neither do I underestimate our situation in the league. I reckon we'll need at least another 6 points, possibly 7 or 8. We have the worst form in the division. Fulham are in form and look like getting out of trouble. Newcastle have a habit of waking up when they need to. Burnley looked like Brazil against Everton - and West Brom looked 500% better than us today vs Chelsea. So where are we getting our points?

Would you really swap a (let's face it) a rank-outside chance of winning a Cup Final for our Premier League security? 90 minutes at Wembley (be there anyway for the semi-final, dilutes it) vs a drop to the Championship and potential obscurity for years to come?

I wouldn't.

Fulham have lost three of the last four, scoring a breathtaking two entire goals in the last five matches.

Not sure how that is "in form". They need some actual, real form for them get to or past the 40 points you think we need to be clear of them. 

Newcastle are shite, West Brom are already relegated.

If you swapped our situation with theirs and put us 18th, with 26 goals and 5 wins  there is no way you'd be identifying the team in 14th, seven points clear as the team going down. No way on earth.

We're not going to be relegated and we should be absolutely going for it in the cup. Not that this us anything other than a moronic debate - whatever result we get today has no relationship to what happens at Wembley in a fortnight.

Absolutely absurd.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What I'd really like today is Saints back to early season form, an early goal, no defensive lapses and the game wrapped up with a comfortable lead well before the end.

Probably too much to ask these days so I'll no doubt have to settle for a point in a scrappy game and then some solace if Newcastle & Fulham both fail to get anything. Anything less than that and we can start comparing this season to 1974.

• Like 1

Saints 1-2 Burnley

We always come unstuck against them, predictable Burnley will take two of their three chances and defend.

I imagine us pressing high, playing in the final third but ultimately not doing enough to gain a point.

Then the usual PR crap post match of “unlucky, unfortunate, not our day” will ring over social media.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic