Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Saint_Jonny

Just now, saint lard said:

The most notable thing about that game....besides the result papering over the cracks........was that our style of play has changed dramatically.

way much more kicking long from the keeper and the CB’s

very little playing around slowly waiting for a gap to appear to release it forward. 

we always struggle against the similar sort of player...Wood,Richarlison,Deeny and the opposition being direct. so frustrating to watch. 

Dunno if the result papered over the cracks, we had 24 shots to their 7; 2.5 xG to their 1.4; 55% possession. Three clear cut chances to their one. Honestly I think 3-2 flatters them, they only got anywhere near scoring due to a couple of flukey defensive errors.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

Apparently it was 5 years ago since we came from 2-0 down, against Liverpool.. Mane and Wanyama came on at half time and turned it around.

When was the last time before that match that we came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2? 

Just now, redder freak said:

Nick Pope my man of the match. Kept them in it and maintained the excitement to the end.

He made a few incredible saves. We were a bit wasteful too but it was a really entertaining game. Good on Saints not to let the heads drop. I felt we started well and then they got that pen with their first chance.

Dont consider myself a bed wetter but that first 20 minutes was as bad as anything this season. That said...it only takes a second to score a goal and we got 3 much needed points so despite some very nervous performances I admit I jumped to hard on or around page 6. 

Fair play Saints .. Kind of reflects  the life of a saints fan in 1 match.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Both our fullbacks have been poor today 

Thought KWP had a much improved second half, tightened up defensively and  provided run and width against a narrow Burnley set up.  Bertrand has morphed into a battling, stay at home LB, can’t remember the last overlapping run he made.  I thought our two poorest today were clearly Walcott and Bednarek.

What a superb comeback that was. We've now done the double over a Burnley side that has been a bogey team for us in recent years, and Ings, who's back to his best, scored in both games. I'm looking forward to us finishing the season strongly with many more Ings goals.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Can you expand on that? Bit of a throwaway comment with no context.

Don't get me wrong I've never been in the Ralph out camp but weakening our midfield today was poor decision given it was that control that brought us back. The moment Armstrong went off, it was all Burnley. More people would be saying the same if Wood scored his clear cut attempt.

It struck me as a substitute made by a scared manager. Hopefully in the future he'll trust our midfield to keep the ball and release pressure that way.

• Like 1

We actually started pretty brightly in the first 8 minutes or so and had a few of those chances where the final ball was underhit or we didn’t shoot soon enough. Then came the pen and 2-0. Good on the lads their heads up. Our heads have dropped too often this season. Let’s get a bit of confidence flowing leading up to the semi.

Edited by OttawaSaint

1 minute ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Dreadful first 20 minutes. Awful last ten. But the rest was very good. Pope made a few really good good saves, and we ruined some lovely breaks.

But the magic 36 pt mark. Now we can put all our eggs in the cup basket. Happy Easter one and all. 

We could have scored 2 or 3 more goals in the last ten minutes.

4-2 or 5-2 would have been a fairer reflection of the game. Pope and the woodwork kept the scoreline down.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Don't get me wrong I've never been in the Ralph out camp but weakening our midfield today was poor decision given it was that control that brought us back. The moment Armstrong went off, it was all Burnley. More people would be saying the same if Wood scored his clear cut attempt.

It struck me as a substitute made by a scared manager. Hopefully in the future he'll trust our midfield to keep the ball and release pressure that way.

Agree with that. It was an unnecessary change that actually weakened us. Thought they were better options from the bench if Ralph thought Armstrong was struggling.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Maybe the 3-2 win over MK Dons - the Jonathan Forte match?

That's the one I was kind of thinking but then the Lambert Hattrick one with the spectacular lob crept into my mind like a cancer. 

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I completely agree, but Stu was spent and needed to be subbed. So what other choice did we have? With Romeu out for the rest of the season, our midfield options are extremely limited.

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I completely agree, but Stu was spent and needed to be subbed. So what other choice did we have? With Romeu out for the rest of the season, our midfield options are extremely limited.

Switching to a three centre back system put us on the back foot and invited pressure. Should have stuck with the 4222, but it did ultimately see us win.

6 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

We could have scored 2 or 3 more goals in the last ten minutes.

4-2 or 5-2 would have been a fairer reflection of the game. Pope and the woodwork kept the scoreline down.

As could they have.  Forster saving diving header from 3 yards (which Souness said should've been another penalty) and diving save to his left hand side.  We didn't have it all our own way.

3 hours ago, DT said:

Very nearly our strongest team. Take Redmond out and would be very confident of getting three points. 

Just read through the match thread... melts galore for a while and the the usual agendas against  JWP and NR, who played pretty well in all honesty, also some who dont seem to actually like the club.

The match itself had its piss poor moment from us but thankfully more really good moments, which sums up exactly what we are.

It was a good comeback, that is a fact.

4 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Mane and Pelle against Liverpool

Already established that. We are now on the one before that. I'm satisfied that one is established now as well so........................................when was the last time before the last 2 times that we came back from 2 nil down to win 3-2?

That was absolutely superb. 6 weeks ago at 2-0 down inside the first 30 mins we'd have just given up and gone on to concede 2 or 3 more.

I can't remember the last time we went 2 down and came back to win. It's a great feeling to have watched them recover from those early setbacks.

Good to see the squad pretty much back to full strength too. 

10 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Forum gold reading this thread, feel sorry for all the people that stopped watching after 20 minutes to cry in their wet beds. Here's me thinking football matches are 90+ minutes. 😆

We know, we’re usually the ones who throw it away. 

Great result, we really needed that, and overall it was a good performance. But we shouldn't ignore the fact we were shockingly bad in the first 20 minutes, not just the defensive errors but constantly giving the ball away, a better team than Burnley might have buried us. Oddly some of our best players were guilty, KWP and Stu dreadful. But after Peters got injured we were a different team (and so were they). So many golden opportunities wasted though, think a fair score would have been 5-3. Great opening goal from Stu (brilliant assist from Danny) and great 2nd form Danny. We tried our best to fuck it up in the last 10, some of Bednarek's defending was really poor, and Burnley should have had a pen for Bednarek's shirt pulling. Still, think the last 10 was partly down to nerves, now that we've got that one in the bag I think we will go on to have a decent run in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

The reactions on page 6 may be funny, but the funniest thing in the match thread is people trying to claim that wasn’t a penalty 😂😂😂😂

Why? It was a foul by Walker-Peters,  but him being fouled before should see it overruled. There was no reason for the Burnley player to have his hands on Walker-Peters apart from to gain an unfair advantage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

The reactions on page 6 may be funny, but the funniest thing in the match thread is people trying to claim that wasn’t a penalty 😂😂😂😂

It was a penalty.

It was also a foul just before the penalty.

Only one of those was picked up on VAR, which was frustrating, but we came back from 2-0 down, which is possibly a bigger confidence boost than any normal win could have given us.

Considering it also lifts us clear of the relegation scrap, it’s the last thing Leicester would have wanted :D

49 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agree with that. It was an unnecessary change that actually weakened us. Thought they were better options from the bench if Ralph thought Armstrong was struggling.

Rubbish - was obvious that Burnley would go even more route one so putting Salisu on gave us more in the air & helped Bednarek out!  

• Like 2

First the negative, which for me was a lack of protection for Fraser from primarily Bednarek (who had a shocker) but also late on was disappointing that our front four amongst others didn’t work harder to cut out Burnley’s crosses and long balls that put us under pressure.

That said lots of positives, the second consecutive enjoyable attacking performance, six goals in two games, and we look a real handful going forward.  Great to get Theo and Ings back, and while Theo not at his best was a good assist for the third having started the attacking move too.  Genuine options from the bench finally, with three subs used but Minamino, Stephens and Tella all unused which shows some more depth.  Redmond back to the player that many of us see him to be when he has confidence.

Clearly West Brom will be tougher match than we may have expected a few weeks back, but now it’s very credible that we could target an improvement on 11th from last season and we are in semi-final.

Edited by Forester

14 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

It was a penalty.

It was also a foul just before the penalty.

Only one of those was picked up on VAR, which was frustrating, but we came back from 2-0 down, which is possibly a bigger confidence boost than any normal win could have given us.

Considering it also lifts us clear of the relegation scrap, it’s the last thing Leicester would have wanted :D

The way I saw it, they both had hands on each other but Pieters was just stronger. No ref is going to give a foul for that. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Already established that. We are now on the one before that. I'm satisfied that one is established now as well so........................................when was the last time before the last 2 times that we came back from 2 nil down to win 3-2?

My best guess would be a 3-2 victory away at Preston when we were in the Championship and on the way down, so maybe 2008 ? McGoldrick in the 09th minute. It was an evening kick-off and cold, wet and windy.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic