Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Saint_Jonny

Well that's a relief. Weird one considering our season of being utterly incapable of breaking teams down when we go a goal behind. Today we went 2 down but from the moment we did looked the better side and our biggest issue was missing easy chances. Anyway GTFI now lets win the FA Cup.

Brilliant win, but to be honest we got lucky. If only JWP had a little more invention and ambition we would be better in midfield. If only Bednarek and KWP were a little better in their games today. Small margins, but if anyone thinks we’ve got a shout in the FA Cup against much better oppo then thy need their heads seeing to. Well done Ralph and the team - one more win to safety.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Phew. Reached for my phone at two down to put a bet on a saints win only to have to do a deposit. Too late, Armstrong scored. Cracking win. Well done saints. All but safe. Can relax now. 

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

Game over. Fucking useless 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

I will get called knee jerk but think we need a change next season RH hasn't done enough to earn another go 

1 hour ago, jasonb said:

Theres some of that lovely passing it around us.. boom massive boot, knock down bang! Off to enjoy the sunshine lads. 

1 hour ago, Wrensup said:

We are such a dogshiit team. 

Time to go out and enjoy the sun I think. 

1 hour ago, adrian lord said:

Insipid.

On the beach already and not mathematically safe.

1 hour ago, BotleySaint said:

Another defeat then. Back to hoping that west brom and Fulham don't pick up many more points.

2 weeks on, no new ideas from Ralph to turn things around.

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Please, I beg someone to give me 1 valid defence of Ralph after this. Pathetic, time to go. 

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Definitely all over now.

Hate to say this but Burnley looked excellent in their win at Goodison. Not a chance we are coming back from this.

Just a few Page 6 gems here.

• Like 8
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 1

After 20 mins, we were much better. Took the game to them, attacked them, moved the ball much, much quicker. We fully deserved that win as our performance for about 60% was good - better than them, created lots of good opportunities too.

It's amazing what having a fully fit attacking group can do - Whilst Theo was frustrating, his runs and movement with and off the ball was opening space. Redmond was excellent floating all over the front as well. And Ings was back to his sharp and pest like self. The break has done the attack wonders.

Defense, Bednarek in particular, an absolute liability. Vestergaard was ok, but Bednarek needed to go home. 

That win will hopefully stop everyone panicking now. We'll still finish in the 40's imo.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Just a few Page 6 gems here.

Every dog has his day, I guess. Burnley doing a ‘saints’ today. 

Credit where it’s due, Ings is the difference between the 2 sides. Both pretty poor average teams. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

You seriously need to read some of you're fanny posts on here mate.

Go through every match thread, the weirdo blames the ref for something. Our cousins from Across the pond should stick to ice hockey or something. 

Same people knee-jerking after 20 minutes of poor football are the people who were knee-jerking after 12 or so bad games. Maybe some people need to see the bigger picture better. Safe now, put everything into the FA cup.

• Like 1

Just now, skintsaint said:

Defensively need strengthening at the back. Going forward isn't too bad. Need another Armstrong type player for that No10 role. Theo and Redders aint it.

Not the biggest fan of Redmond myself, but that's a bit harsh on today. Thought he was one of our most dangerous. 

But I do agree, a better wide player would benefit us massively (well, not particular wide - someone who can roam all over). I don't think that's a priority though.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Not the biggest fan of Redmond myself, but that's a bit harsh on today. Thought he was one of our most dangerous. 

But I do agree, a better wide player would benefit us massively (well, not particular wide - someone who can roam all over). I don't think that's a priority though.

Maybe the thinking is Tella fits that particular spot going forward.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I was impressed by Redders tbh but it very much seems like his best games are up top, including today. Theo was dreadful today imo, we need someone quality opposite Armstrong.

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I hold my hands up, certainly didn't see that coming after the first twenty five minutes. Credit to the lads for turning it round. Huge win.

Agree, that's the biggest plus for me today. As a big doubter of the character of this group, we just came from being 0-2 to win a game and that's as huge as any win for me.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah he actually realised running at people and having a shot when one was on, not an impossible worldly, was the way to go and he looked dangerous 

Just now, TWar said:

I was impressed by Redders tbh but it very much seems like his best games are up top, including today. Theo was dreadful today imo, we need someone quality opposite Armstrong.

On the ball, not great - but his running opens space for us and that's why we looked more dangerous. He's intelligent in that sense, but typical Theo is that final touch/final pass which is more often than not powderpuff.

4 minutes ago, SKD said:

Go through every match thread, the weirdo blames the ref for something. Our cousins from Across the pond should stick to ice hockey or something. 

I’m from the UK originally, but yes, I’ll watch some hockey later. Thanks for the laughs.

People on here take themselves so seriously. 

• Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

On the ball, not great - but his running opens space for us and that's why we looked more dangerous. He's intelligent in that sense, but typical Theo is that final touch/final pass which is more often than not powderpuff.

Seems to be a bit like Adams, the more time he has to think, the more it goes wrong.

Don't know what the players had for breakfast but it certainly took a while to kick in. Awful start but once Saints started playing Burnley couldn't deal with us. Great game to watch!

Nice to see Saints get better as the game went on. Job done. 

The most notable thing about that game....besides the result papering over the cracks........was that our style of play has changed dramatically.

way much more kicking long from the keeper and the CB’s

very little playing around slowly waiting for a gap to appear to release it forward. 

we always struggle against the similar sort of player...Wood,Richarlison,Deeny and the opposition being direct. so frustrating to watch. 

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Agree, that's the biggest plus for me today. As a big doubter of the character of this group, we just came from being 0-2 to win a game and that's as huge as any win for me.

Apparently it was 5 years ago since we came from 2-0 down, against Liverpool.. Mane and Wanyama came on at half time and turned it around.

TBF at 2-0 down I am sure every fucker on here was saying how hopeless everything was. That win has lifted the spirits and 3-2 flattered them. I would hate to be a Burnley fan especially if I lived in that shithole too. They have bottle but no craft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That frailty, which has been exposed in the past months, was kept buried. That's a real bonus. Fair we didn't play incredible football but we played our all from the 25mins onwards, stayed focused, got the chances and scored the goals we needed. And that's all that mattered. 3 points, and a happy Easter for all Saints...

COYS

Only imaginable downside I can see is that this will increase Man City's desire for Ings.

We really battered their goal today.  Two teams on the same points, but if you stand back and say which is genuinely the better side, no one independent wouldn't put their money on Saints. 

We're a top half team. The next few months are going to be sooo interesting.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic