Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread

Saint_Jonny

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If we’re playing shite, you’re not allowed to state that. Particularly when we’re 2-0 down. You need to post “happy clappy come on lads, we an do this” type of posts. 

Alternatively, you can be concerned and pissed off, but understand that there is a lot more left of the game and hope for the best.

• Like 2

Just now, The Cat said:

Drawing 2-2 isn't bad. 

The issue is we let in a goal and a load of people throw their toys out of the pram. There were already signs before their second goal that we were getting into the game and finding decent pockets of space. Enough to show that we'd create a few decent chances. Take one and the whole game changes, and that's exactly what happened.

Yep. As usual the “big men” of the forum have made themselves look like total prats.

• Like 1

Well that was a strange half. I honestly thought it was all over at 0-2, because Burnley are usually very good at protecting leads and we always struggle/fail to score against those kind of sides.

But since Pieters went off it does seem like tactically it has gone in our favour. Thought Pope should have saved Stu's shot but Danny's touch was excellent and he looked like the pre- injury Ings for his goal.

I'm not overly confident we won't concede again, but I'll honestly take a point. Will be absolutely gutting for us to force our way back into it only to go on and lose.

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Now that we are at 2-2 don’t know why its beyond reason for us to criticise the team when they were 2-0 down.

Equally, I’ll give credit where its due to the lads for fighting back. Let’s hope it finishes 4-2 or something that would be nice

Because we are shit defending today and the 1st 20 mins we were asleep .. pieters gone off has opened up some space .. good response from saints but gaping holes across the back needs to be addressed!

Just now, S-Clarke said:

If we're worried about not being able to defend against Woods, then our defenders are not good enough for this level.

He's having a lot of joy against Bednarek, winning most duels. Woods isn't the type of player that centre backs come up against much anymore which is maybe why he's struggling a bit. 

Not sure if we're defending any differently against him today than we did last time. 

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He's having a lot of joy against Bednarek, winning most duels. Woods isn't the type of player that centre backs come up against much anymore which is maybe why he's struggling a bit. 

Not sure if we're defending any differently against him today than we did last time. 

This is how Jan has been for weeks and weeks tbh. He's a proper liability for us at the moment. He's either a decent PL defender, or an absolute mess at this level. There's no in between with him.

I'd be tempted to sub him at HT as he seems like a mistake waiting, but I know we won't.

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Exactly. Surely you designate your tallest defender to mark Woods who is beating Bednarek every time. 

You do know that strikers regularly switch positions to get the best matchups and if you've played football beyond under 8 the best way to deal with that as a defender is to pass the player across. You dont start crossing over each other as its chaotic. Bednarek needs to just deal with the physicality when Wood does move onto him 

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

You do know that strikers regularly switch positions to get the best matchups and if you've played football beyond under 8 the best way to deal with that as a defender is to pass the player across. You dont start crossing over each other as its chaotic. Bednarek needs to just deal with the physicality when Wood does move onto him 

In those situations I've always thought it's better for the defender to just drop a yard off and let him have it. He's facing away from goal, he's no immediate threat, so keep your eye on the flick ons and if he does bring it down THEN you get tight.

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Bednarek having a mare. 

I agree with you he looks like he is being bullied by the Burnley players. 
However, it’s funny WhoScored think he is our best defender on the pitch!

9E5D035C-934B-4247-911F-709A6652AAA5.jpeg

Just now, nta786 said:

I agree with you he looks like he is being bullied by the Burnley players. 
However, it’s funny WhoScored think he is our best defender on the pitch!

9E5D035C-934B-4247-911F-709A6652AAA5.jpeg

They don't "think" anything, they make those ratings based on actual success/failure and stats on the pitch.

• Like 1

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Whole defence have been poor today. Hopefully they pick it up a bit.

Those ratings for the defence aren't good by any stretch. Bednarek has made some good interceptions which will have him rated as the best of a bad bunch right now.

Surprised to see Redmond's so high as he hasn't had huge success in what he's done so far, although I think he's had a much better game than usual.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Southampton 3-2 Burnley - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic