European League

whelk

58 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

A lot of people on here moaning about all of this will carry on paying subscriptions to Sky and BT. 
This business model can only work if people pay to watch it and the people in the grounds won’t help. It’s all about the TV rights and subsequent sponsorship deals, which will only work if people are subscribing. 
No subscribers, no business. 
Effectively, it’s down to the fans. 

Well yes but far more will not. The only money Sky has ever conned out of me has been during this Covid year and solely because I could watch pretty much every Saints match without consent interruptions. Personally I am not in the least bit interested in watching any other team play so it will all pass me by. Of course if it happens it is bound to have an impact on Saints but that is something we will all have to think about in the future.

• Like 1

Many people have said the EPL won't dare kick out the 6 because the TV money would plummet without them.  I'm sure this could be true.  Much of the money in the TV rights comes from abroad and it can't be denied that these six teams have more support abroad than the rest of the EPL.

But, if the money in the game was drastically reduced by a lower TV deal, would that necessarily be a bad thing?  Most of the TV money goes straight into the pockets of players and their agents (and to pay compensation to Mourinho;-)).  If most EPL players were paid a little bit less, they'd still be probably earning way more than most other people. I don't see that it would deter young players from taking up the sport professionally. Clubs would be forced to stop living beyond their means in the hope that the next TV deal will come to their rescue. Clubs would depend more on match day and merchandising income.  Football could become more interesting to watch with all teams having more of a chance to have a great season even if they are not backed by a USA billionaire or a Middle Eastern royal family.  

There was football before the EPL, before Sky and before clubs became companies.  And, in many ways, it was better.

• Like 1

I’d much rather it be a 20 team Premier League where everyone has broadly the same resources and can therefore have a chance of winning through the use of superior tactics and recruitment, rather than there be 6 teams with double the money of the other 14.

Could be a chance to make real, positive change - add in a salary cap/financial regulations to keep it at a level playing field (the one good bit of MLS) and it’s still a compelling product. Invite Celtic and Rangers to come in and add 4 Championship teams and I’m all for it.

I’ll honestly be furious if the FA, UEFA and FIFA just bend over at the end of the day and let them get away with their brinkmanship in order to get a bigger slice of the pie. Just let them take their ball home with them and see how it works out for them - I think it would get very boring after a couple of seasons and would subsequently relish the 8-10 years it’ll take the Big 6 to all get back from National League to Premier League…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, benjii said:

No doubt. The financial impact on the other clubs will be disastrous, unless there are large handouts from the "Super" clubs. Clubs rely on a TV deal to survive and that deal will be massively diminished in value. Good chance of clubs folding on the back of this.

Only because wages are so high. Reduce income and cut wages accordingly to survive. 

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

A lot of people on here moaning about all of this will carry on paying subscriptions to Sky and BT. 
This business model can only work if people pay to watch it and the people in the grounds won’t help. It’s all about the TV rights and subsequent sponsorship deals, which will only work if people are subscribing. 
No subscribers, no business. 
Effectively, it’s down to the fans. 

I will do my bit & carry on streaming then ... 'Power to the People'

• Like 1

To be fair to the scousers sounds like their organised fan groups are up for taking the fight to their own club, many at Man United saw this coming a while ago and formed FCUM,  none of the match going fans at these  clubs want this, it's all about global tv audience. 

This has been coming ever since they were allowed to keep all the home gate receipts back in the 1980's, stopping clubs like Saints and Ipswich from competing fairly.

The Premier League syphons more and more money to the "big" 6 and it is still not enough for them. 

I don't watch the Champions League any more, since it all went PPV and had a Saturday night final .I certainly would not go near this new league. 

I can't say that I would boycott it if Saints were in it one year. 

The amount of money they are throwing at the clubs involved is obscene, If a subscription is £25 a month, you need to sell 10,000,000 if them just to cover the $3 Billion handed out to the big 6.  

It would be far more interesting if Juve, Inter,  Barca  and Real  went bust, rather than get bailed out like this. Make them work there way back up and give someone else a chance for a few years. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

UEFA's president appears to have confirmed that any players that play in the ESL will be barred from World Cups and Euros.

Keep in mind UEFA get €3.5BN a year for the CL.

It's in their interests to stop it but they haven't got the power to stop it.

The only thing they can do is make it unattractive to players by banning them from international football tournaments.

But if you're a player and you're offered £250 grand a week do you care about international football?

I wouldn't.

Money talks. 

16 minutes ago, JRM said:

many at Man United saw this coming a while ago and formed FCUM,  none of the match going fans at these  clubs want this, it's all about global tv audience

Yes but look how that turned out. They can still pack OT with fans, sell T-shirts around the globe and buy a team full of £80m players with only sporadic access to CL revenue. The Liverpool owners clearly knew they’d get this reaction, they can’t have been naive enough to believe otherwise, which can only lead me to the conclusion that they just don’t care. 

8 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

The only thing they can do is make it unattractive to players by banning them from international football tournaments.

But if you're a player and you're offered £250 grand a week do you care about international football?

I wouldn't.

Money talks. 

Looks like they'll also be kicking the clubs from their competitions. If they stick to it it'll be like going to play in China, plenty of money in it but no real glory.

I dreamed of being a professional footballer as a kid. Never had any chance of making it, but for me there was no amount of money that would have made me give up a chance of playing for England.

9 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

That's either Levy or Woodward.

Probably Levy.

The only thing that he cares about is money and fuck all else.

He's a slave to it.

1.2 billion in debt and on target to finish 7th this season (with a team that features Son, Kane and Bale..). Lord knows they need the Super League hand out if they're not to go bust!

Fuck em.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JRM said:

Only because wages are so high. Reduce income and cut wages accordingly to survive. 

The big clubs will have bloated squads signing all the upcoming talent including youth players. They wll expect to play a B team in the premier league to keep these players fresh whilst trying to get a ESL game with the A squad. 

The only way the FA / PL league can fight bac is by expelling them and banning players from international duty. Fans need to play their part by cancelling any subscriptions that include these teams. 

No doubt it wont make much difference as the company owners arent interested in local English fans of their teams as this is dwarfed by the  number of worldwide football fans that would rather pay £5 per month to watch a TV game than support their local sides.

Makes it an easier decision to let my season ticket go if it happens. Been a ST holder for 30 odd years and don't really fancy committing to a new format revolving around money. Shame 

29 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I wouldn't.

Money talks. 

Think some players very much would care, though there would be others happy to take the money.

53 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I wouldn't.

Money talks. 

I can honestly say I would. It's not really a choice between 250K a week or nothing is it. They'd still probably get 100K a week by going elsewhere. There comes a point where you really don't need even more money. I'm sure some players will feel similarly. 

25 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

The big clubs will have bloated squads signing all the upcoming talent including youth players. They wll expect to play a B team in the premier league to keep these players fresh whilst trying to get a ESL game with the A squad. 

The only way the FA / PL league can fight bac is by expelling them and banning players from international duty. Fans need to play their part by cancelling any subscriptions that include these teams. 

No doubt it wont make much difference as the company owners arent interested in local English fans of their teams as this is dwarfed by the  number of worldwide football fans that would rather pay £5 per month to watch a TV game than support their local sides.

Makes it an easier decision to let my season ticket go if it happens. Been a ST holder for 30 odd years and don't really fancy committing to a new format revolving around money. Shame 

I would be happy to keep my season ticket if the top six clubs were excluded. We might even get more games to watch over the season.

It's the television coverage that I hate. Screaming commentators. Endless meaningless replays and slow motion shots of players' reactions. Shots of the managers on the sideline. Shots of the crowd. Shots of the board being held up telling us haw many extra minutes there are. 

And VAR

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I can honestly say I would. It's not really a choice between 250K a week or nothing is it. They'd still probably get 100K a week by going elsewhere. There comes a point where you really don't need even more money. I'm sure some players will feel similarly. 

Indeed, people forget this. If you earn just £10,000 a week after tax over a 15 year career, you've earnt £7.8million. Can anyone honestly say they'd need more than that to be able to live out their days comfortably from 35 onwards? 

• Like 1

Strip all the club of their historic titles.

The moment they are told thy are to leave they will mess themselves as they want their cake and eat it.

A midweek league, apparently. I thought they play too many games.....oh of course they will want the PL to be reduced in size and they will get parachuted in to the FA at the 5th round.

When will the other get the balls to actually stand up.

I think Im right in saying when Celtic tried to do something 10 years ago or so their league said goodbye, that immediately made Celtic withdraw their plans

Edited by OldNick

A premptive attack by the 12 to avert the domestic bodies taking action.  Thus thwarting FIFA and UEFA perhaps

The 12’s letter read:

“Your formal statement does, however, compel us to take protective steps to secure ourselves against such an adverse reaction, which would not only jeopardise the funding commitment under the Grant but, significantly, would be unlawful. For this reason, SLCo (Super League Company) has filed a motion before the relevant courts in order to ensure the seamless establishment and operation of the Competition in accordance with applicable laws.”

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

A premptive attack by the 12 to avert the domestic bodies taking action.  Thus thwarting FIFA and UEFA perhaps

The 12’s letter read:

“Your formal statement does, however, compel us to take protective steps to secure ourselves against such an adverse reaction, which would not only jeopardise the funding commitment under the Grant but, significantly, would be unlawful. For this reason, SLCo (Super League Company) has filed a motion before the relevant courts in order to ensure the seamless establishment and operation of the Competition in accordance with applicable laws.”

Don't know about any other bodies but the Prems rules are clear about what competitions a club is allowed to compete in.

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm exactly the same. But if there is one thing I have learned about football the last few years is that they always want more. Take Bale. He's on something ridiculously dumb like 600k a week. Plus of course things like sponsorship deals. I have no concept on how you can spend that money. Yet he was happy to throw his entire meaningful career away to go to China for 1m a week. At that much money, do you even notice going from 600 to a mil? Same for numerous other footballers. Then there will be people defending them saying 'they have to sort out their families future'. Like fuck if you can't do it as 50k a week then you are an absolute plonk. 

I'm sure a handful will do the right thing and defect.  But most will hungrily take up these whopping salaries. There will then be a daily tv show with 'casual' interviews with these footballers showing just how fun and normal they really are, and plastics around the world will lap it up. 

Edited by sydney_saint

21 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

I'm exactly the same. But if there is one thing I have learned about football the last few years is that they always want more. Take Bale. He's on something ridiculously dumb like 600k a week. Plus of course things like sponsorship deals. I have no concept on how you can spend that money. Yet he was happy to throw his entire meaningful career away to go to China for 1m a week. At that much money, do you even notice going from 600 to a mil? Same for numerous other footballers. Then there will be people defending them saying 'they have to sort out their families future'. Like fuck if you can't do it as 50k a week then you are an absolute plonk. 

I'm sure a handful will do the right thing and defect.  But most will hungrily take up these whopping salaries. There will then be a daily tv show with 'casual' interviews with these footballers showing just how fun and normal they really are, and plastics around the world will lap it up. 

Moving for more money is one thing, at their level it's almost more like just keeping score, but if it's a choice between having more money than you can spend, and playing for your country, or having even more money than you can spend, and being prevented from playing for your country?

That's probably the sanction most likely to prevent this going ahead.

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I would generally agree but I'm agreeing as someone who has never and will never be offered that sort of money.

But wanting and needing more money are two completely different things.

Everyone wants more money whether they need it or not.

It's all well and good taking the moral route and turning it down because I've got enough already but footballers in the main, don't live in my world.

In the REAL world.. Money talks.

Edited by JustinSFC

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Well like i said it's a twitter rumour, i dont know if it's serious

I just checked Twitter.

There's a few blue tick journos who think he might.

Apparently this goes against everything he stands for.

The cynic in me says this is the perfect excuse for him to walk because I think he was going to anyway.

He's run his course there.

So here are my proposals for retaliation (possibly not legal though)

1.  Clubs to be expelled from domestic leagues and competitions when current TV deals expire.

2.  Clubs that are participating in super league and domestic leagues (because of current TV deal) to start each season with -30 points.

3.  Players and managers to be excluded from international football unless contract was signed prior to 19/04/2021.  Once a new contract is signed or extended after this date the players and managers are excluded from international football and continue to be excluded for a period of two years after they re-sign for clubs not in super league.

4.  Broadcasters/Streaming companies that show either highlights or live super league games to be denied bidding rights to new domestic and European broadcasting rights.

I suspect this would probably struggle to get through the courts but does keep current broadcasters on side and won't penalise players who already have contracts signed up.  Eventually the super league would be entirely separate from all other football and they can piss off.  In terms of the premier league I would also immediately revoke voting rights for the big six.

• Like 1

I've just read that shares in Manchester United rose 8.5% within 3 minutes of the NY stock exchange opening today.

It's going to take planet Earth colliding with an almighty Jupiter sized Asteroid to stop the group of '6' pressing ahead with this.

who do they think is going to give them bumper tv deal in this day and age to watch the same teams play each other regularly.

Chinese defaulted on their one to the premier league.

Maybe they are hoping the Saudi's cos BEin sport wont.

This mid week game proposal is just the pilot case anyway to see if it works money wise and they can expand it a little more and then leave the domestic leagues behind.

Episode 2 GIF by South Park

Edited by Convict Colony

15 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

who do they think is going to give them bumper tv deal in this day and age to watch the same teams play each other regularly.

Chinese defaulted on their one to the premier league.

Maybe they are hoping the Saudi's cos BEin sport wont.

Listening to Jordan on TalkSport this morning he's saying the yanks.

But who's that?

Is it going to be one massive franchise?

I also can't see where or who's money its coming from.

32 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

3.  Players and managers to be excluded from international football unless contract was signed prior to 19/04/2021.  Once a new contract is signed or extended after this date the players and managers are excluded from international football and continue to be excluded for a period of two years after they re-sign for clubs not in super league.

Yeah i'd treat it similarly to how cricket used to treat touring South Africa during Apartheid.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Strong response from the government by the sound of it, looking into every possible mechanism they can to prevent the ESL going ahead.

They can't do a single thing about it. 

The only thing they can do, as I noted elsewhere, is score a massive political open goal. You can trust in a populist like Johnson to be all over this like a rash. Everything will have been cancelled late last night as he was briefed on how to whip up some good old sentiment in his favour. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Strong response from the government by the sound of it, looking into every possible mechanism they can to prevent the ESL going ahead.

Probably massive potential Tax revenue evaporating straight out of the economy if it happens.

I can't think why else the govt would get involved in it.

I don't even know if that's even correct.