European League

whelk

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Would that even be feasible? I get how the other way around the PL could ban clubs from registering players who’ve played in the ESL but if the ESL actively want to poach these players what can realistically be done to stop them leaving?

You have to be registered with UEFA or fifa to move clubs. If you are you shouldn’t be able to move to a team not recognised or registered with them.

Just now, Sir Ralph said:

You have to be registered with UEFA or fifa to move clubs. If you are you shouldn’t be able to move to a team not recognised or registered with them.

They couldn't stop a player from playing in a brand new organised competition anymore than they could stop them playing down the park.

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The club's still have them under contract.

As far as FIFA are concerned, those clubs will no longer exist therefore neither will the contracts. The players would be free to move to any club that is still affiliated.

10 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

A transfer right now is a transfer of their legal registration between two FIFA recognised clubs I believe, FIFA registrations won't be required for playing in this super League I'm guessing. 

I get the need to register players, what I’m saying is; is there any actual difference between what happens now and what would happen in the ESL. For example Real Madrid could buy out Shane Longs contract for €100m in summer, same as they could now under La Liga rules. An arbitrary transfer window would have to be open to allow registration to take place but that could still happen today if La Liga’s window was open and ours was closed.

1 minute ago, Saint_lambden said:

Quite astonishing that those 12 first clubs have now, by leaving the ECA, played their last ever games in the Champions League (Spurs and Arsenal did a while back in fairness). 

Football is dead. 

Rumours going around that the UCL and EL have been cancelled. Lots of random tweets going around though tbf.

Can't see how Chelsea, Real Madrid, Man City and Man Utd can still compete in the competitions. So all those ties are null and void.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

They couldn't stop a player from playing in a brand new organised competition anymore than they could stop them playing down the park.

But if a player is under contract for a UEFA registered team they would need to wait for a contract to expire before moving. I imagine that uefa and fifa could put a ban on their clubs selling to super league clubs too, if they are no longer UEFA or fifa registered clubs. Obviously if a contract expires you couldn’t then stop a player from moving

2 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

But if a player is under contract for a UEFA registered team they would need to wait for a contract to expire before moving. I imagine that uefa and fifa could put a ban on their clubs selling to super league clubs too, if they are no longer UEFA or fifa registered clubs. Obviously if a contract expires you couldn’t then stop a player from moving

True, but for those players under contract at the club's leaving they won't need to worry, they'll just carry on playing. The club's will just tear up their current contracts and immediately re-sign them on new ones.

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I get the need to register players, what I’m saying is; is there any actual difference between what happens now and what would happen in the ESL. For example Real Madrid could buy out Shane Longs contract for €100m in summer, same as they could now under La Liga rules. An arbitrary transfer window would have to be open to allow registration to take place but that could still happen today if La Liga’s window was open and ours was closed.

End result is the same sure, but if this new league is outside of FIFAs jurisdiction then the club's don't need to worry about registration at all. 

4 minutes ago, Cartman said:

As far as FIFA are concerned, those clubs will no longer exist therefore neither will the contracts. The players would be free to move to any club that is still affiliated.

Fair point, any contract talking about a players FIFA registration would be null and void if they were banned whilst playing in the super League, meaning those players could immediately sign for another club. 

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

End result is the same sure, but if this new league is outside of FIFAs jurisdiction then the club's don't need to worry about registration at all. 

I think we’re basically getting at the same thing. It’s like a soviet fighter pilot defecting to the US. It may be strictly against Kremlin rules but if the Americans don’t care about that, there’s naff all they can do about it.

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Fair point, any contract talking about a players FIFA registration would be null and void if they were banned whilst playing in the super League, meaning those players could immediately sign for another club

So basically this summer’s going to be more like an IPL auction than a transfer window.

So there are five or so clubs that join the 'super' league on merit and, presumably, lose their place when they're...what exactly?  If they finish last, then I guess they'd go back to non-league football and qualify their way back to the Prem.  But given the guarantees to the founder clubs, they could finish, say, eighth, with founder clubs beneath them, and still get relegated.  Why on earth would any club want to do any of that to themselves?

Let's say Leicester wins the diminished Prem.  The super league then directly sabotages the Champions League by constantly skimming (or trying to) the teams that would otherwise qualify.  

I don't get any of this.  Was the new league designed, by any chance, by people who are completely clueless about European football and domestic competitions?

My only real concern is that the numbers add up for them and this will really happen, no way they'd take the risk otherwise. What an embarrassing day for that lot. A bunch of billionaires fighting out their very own plaything, dull and repetitive but money guaranteed. Souless football played out for the pound and nothing else. Neville was right with what he said, it's close to 'do i know my club anymore'. Shocking stuff.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

It will be really telling which managers and players speak out. If a load of them keep their heads down and just swallow this then they need to get it both barrels from all fans. Make them ashamed to walk down the street for their complicity. 

Another reason they've timed it like they have. We won't have fans in the grounds before the end of this season. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It will be really telling which managers and players speak out. If a load of them keep their heads down and just swallow this then they need to get it both barrels from all fans. Make them ashamed to walk down the street for their complicity. 

Will certainly be interesting to see if the top players really do play for the love of the game or just for the money.

Leicester

West Ham

Everton

Leeds

Villa

Wolves

Palace

Saints

Newcastle

Brighton

Burnley

Fulham

West Brom

Sheffield Utd

Norwich

Watford

Swansea

Brentford

Bournemouth

Barnsley

Could be the top flight next season .....Top 6 seems more gettable! 😅

Edited by skintsaint

'IF' it all goes ahead and they do remove them from their domestic leagues (would take balls to do that) ...say hello to a UK league with Celtic & Rangers in the mix I reckon.

There is enough fans/clubs in the domestic league to still have good fun, yes the finances will shrink....but so will players wages etc. 

Also bring back the European Cup, CWC and UEFA cup! Again, a good number of larger European clubs (Benfica, Feyenoord, Roma, Lazio etc) will make it interesting as well as the French/German clubs who are boycotting.

Maybe I just want too much, opinions?

Ok Go Popcorn GIF

I expect most of us enjoyed the season in Championship more than any recent PL season. It’s all relative and quality of player may drop off but that isn’t why I go to games. So much of PL is hype when watching most of the Big 6 and around crisis etc rather than saying Arsenal and Spurs are drab shite sides and don’t come close to Leeds or Leicester in entertaining.

The money in game makes little difference to me. I do feel sorry for genuine fans of the clubs involved as angry as this shit makes me feel at least not being done to my club. 

Also I literally have not heard one voice saying this is a good thing. A few smug contrarians moronically equating it to the PL formation but not one fan or journo. Rare something that brings such unity and me even supporting FIFA. 

I’m intrigued by the idea that the move is really just for “leverage” or to enhance their bargaining position. To me, it seems to have gone way beyond that.

I wonder whether the “small clubs” now need to show some real backbone rather than meekly awaiting unfolding events, which is the normal practice.

For example, the 14 other clubs in the EPL could vote to expel the big six or resign themselves and rejoin the Football League.

From what I can see it's just a replacement for the Champions League, which I don't ever watch and have no interest in. So not too fussed right now.

There's no way the big six will be kicked out of the Premier League and its pie in the sky to say "all us other clubs should kick them out" because that fucks over the other clubs more than benefits them.

Still feels like leverage and bullshit to me. If it really was a competition starting in August 2021, who's got the broadcast rights, lads? Who are the headline corporate sponsors, chaps? No fucker, thats who. Not happening. Not this August anyway.

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Leicester

West Ham

Everton

Leeds

Villa

Wolves

Palace

Saints

Newcastle

Brighton

Burnley

Fulham

West Brom

Sheffield Utd

Norwich

Watford

Swansea

Brentford

Bournemouth

Barnsley

Could be the top flight next season .....Top 6 seems more gettable😅

Have you seen us play recently? 
Even without the top six, we’ll struggle. We don’t often beat them anyway, so not sure how this would change anything for us. 

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

From what I can see it's just a replacement for the Champions League, which I don't ever watch and have no interest in. So not too fussed right now.

There's no way the big six will be kicked out of the Premier League and its pie in the sky to say "all us other clubs should kick them out" because that fucks over the other clubs more than benefits them.

Still feels like leverage and bullshit to me. If it really was a competition starting in August 2021, who's got the broadcast rights, lads? Who are the headline corporate sponsors, chaps? No fucker, thats who. Not happening. Not this August anyway.

Yeah, remember when Rooney was going to City and Gerrard to Chelsea, unbelievable at the time, how could that happen? 

I hold out no hope that any bold move will be taken. Even the FIFA statement is mild in some respects as referred to ‘closed competition’.

I am glad my kids have some fight in them for a fairer world as this epitomises the greed controlling everything.  Morgan Stanley bailed by the public in 2008 funding to support billionaires getting richer whilst majority seem to be content (for now)  to be distracted and manipulated by other billionaires’ algorithms. Wealth needs to be fairly distributed to give everyone a stake in society and when you feel you have nothing  to lose then comes the volatility.  Anyway I digress but nauseating that statement talks about distribution when pure greed. Some PR cunt thinks we are stupid. 

• Like 1

Only fans I've seen that appear to have a small cohort that are for this are Spurs fans. Probably by virtue of the fact that they have been shit for years and this (somehow) ensures them a seat at the top table forever more. Imagine being picked for a permanent seat in a super duper League and the reasoning for that is one Carling Cup THIRTEEN YEARS AGO. Elite my hairy fucking arse. 

Edited by Saint_Jonny

25 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well, it’s brinkmanship obviously to threaten to expel them. But that’s how some negotiations work - a sort of race to the bottom in who can do the most damage to the other party.

If there’s no question of imposing any sanctions against the clubs or the players, we may as well just say now that the big six can do whatever they want and we will gratefully lick up some crumbs from the table. We dare not do anything else for fear that we might end up with fewer crumbs.

Edited by SaintBobby

13 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Well, it’s brinkmanship obviously to threaten to expel them. But that’s how some negotiations work - a sort of race to the bottom in who can do the most damage to the other party.

If there’s no question of imposing any sanctions against the clubs or the players, we may as well just say now that the big six can do whatever they want and we will gratefully lick up some crumbs from the table. We dare not do anything else for fear that we might end up with fewer crumbs.

Oh, I agree. The Premier League and Football League should up the ante in the same vein.

Announce this morning some outline plans of how to fill those six places for next season, maybe involving the teams in 18th in the Prem and the teams finishing 7/8/9th in the Championship. Some kind of super play off thing. Probably don't plan to get to 20 clubs next season.

Or, just go balls out and say all six are kicked out as of today and forfeit their next match until they fulfil an invitation to a formal hearing next Monday or something.

Shit house them back.

Edited by CB Fry

4 hours ago, The Worm said:

I can see an ITV Digital style crash if the big clubs get kicked out of the Premier League, TV and sponsorship money would vaporize if the big 6 leave

That’s the real worry here for me - at moment a lot of money is fed down the chain agreed not enough.

The lower leagues are struggling as it is with less money from tv companies who will spend what they have on another comp it’s the sh8t end of this breakaway.

Edited by Give it to Ron

1 hour ago, whelk said:

I expect most of us enjoyed the season in Championship more than any recent PL season. It’s all relative and quality of player may drop off but that isn’t why I go to games. So much of PL is hype when watching most of the Big 6 and around crisis etc rather than saying Arsenal and Spurs are drab shite sides and don’t come close to Leeds or Leicester in entertaining.

The money in game makes little difference to me. I do feel sorry for genuine fans of the clubs involved as angry as this shit makes me feel at least not being done to my club. 

Yes, I'm all for this. Been wanting the big 6 to break away for a long time and now the inevitable has happened the Premier league should become a much better competition. Let the big boys play each other in a competitive league and let the remaining prem clubs fight it out in a now competitive league.

I do wonder though if the long term plan is for this new European super league to gradually add more and more clubs from across Europe and build itself up into a new pan European league with several divisions? Only time will tell.

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Leicester

West Ham

Everton

Leeds

Villa

Wolves

Palace

Saints

Newcastle

Brighton

Burnley

Fulham

West Brom

Sheffield Utd

Norwich

Watford

Swansea

Brentford

Bournemouth

Barnsley

Would never happen but if it did it would be a much more exciting competition that the current PL.

How can it be a European Super League when it’s only 3 countries and 2 of those English teams wouldn’t qualify for Champions League this year.

Where are Benfica, Porto, Ajax, Celtic , Rangers, Spartak etc

The one thing I will love is fans of teams used to winning and whine on forums when concede a corner will be losing every other week welcome to our club.

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Leicester

West Ham

Everton

Leeds

Villa

Wolves

Palace

Saints

Newcastle

Brighton

Burnley

Fulham

West Brom

Sheffield Utd

Norwich

Watford

Swansea

Brentford

Bournemouth

Barnsley

You know we'd be lower mid table! 

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

...say hello to a UK league with Celtic & Rangers in the mix I reckon.

I would imagine Rangers and Celtic will eventually be targetted for this 'Super League'. Very big clubs will massive global support, give them a level playing field with finances and they'd be a credible force.

20 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

Yes, I'm all for this. Been wanting the big 6 to break away for a long time and now the inevitable has happened the Premier league should become a much better competition. Let the big boys play each other in a competitive league and let the remaining prem clubs fight it out in a now competitive league.

I do wonder though if the long term plan is for this new European super league to gradually add more and more clubs from across Europe and build itself up into a new pan European league with several divisions? Only time will tell.

Now this I could get on board with...

I could see 3 or 4 "EUROPEAN DIVISIONS" fed into from the various countries. Might be slightly complicated but as long as there is promotion and relegation all the way through, (so in theory Barcelona for example could end up back in the Spanish league) then I think it would be good. 

As a standalone I'm not sure. 

12 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

I would imagine Rangers and Celtic will eventually be targetted for this 'Super League'. Very big clubs will massive global support, give them a level playing field with finances and they'd be a credible force.

Hmm not sure on that one. Probably size wise on par with teams like Villa/Everton/Leeds. Only Rangers/Celtic fans i've met are ex-pats and Aussies seem to all follow EPL. Can't remember seeing any Rangers or Celtic shirts in lots of trips around Asia but again tons of locals in Utd shirts etc. USA probably have a few followers as there 8th generation Scottish or something random. 

But a lot of similar clubs to them around Europe including the likes of Marseille, Benfica, Ajax, Sevilla, Napoli, Galatasaray etc. How big is this league going to get ....or maybe that's the long term goal....3 or 4 tiers. Horrible thought that.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

The juventus chairman has resigned from the UEFA executive committee and joined the Super league executive committee. If this was to leverage a better deal from the champions league then it’s a strange way of doing it 

4 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

nope - the founding members as I read it as will never get relegated...

That’s right. The bit that makes me laugh are they are going to invite 5 clubs per season to join their feasting table through qualification in their own domestic leagues. WTF? So basically come on in for a season, beat Arsenal and Spurs, have a bit of fun and if you finish high enough we might see you again. Total arrogance and shithousery.