European League

whelk

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

yep, there may be a bit of short term pain financially but the league will be a lot more competitive and better without them. Let them go, ban them from all domestic competition and players from playing for their countries. 

Exactly that. Work permit issues will hopefully arise too if players aren't playing for their countries.

I suspect the plan was to have this alongside the domestic leagues as a champions league alternative, but hopefully they'll have got the message that isn't going to happen. 

4 hours ago, whelk said:

I like Gary Neville’s proposal to deduct points from all the teams who signed up to it.

Neville has done well here. Said what all right minded fans think, and got stuck into his own club. Good lad. 

• Like 1

I'm happy for them, and their circus, to go and the rest of the clubs in this nation can normalise with respect to income and we can enjoy things a bit more.  I'm fully prepared for my boy to have a 'TV team' he watches in this silly European Super League and a team that he goes and watches and supports in this country outside of it.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Agreed. Hopefully it’ll happen and they’ll all be Banned from competing in any domestic competitions. After the novelty of the first couple of seasons when fans of clubs like arsenal and Chelsea see their teams struggling at the bottom of the league every season losing most weeks it won’t be much fun. Hopefully all European fans will boycott anything to do with it too and leave the Chinese and American audiences to lap the farce up. 

I think they will mate, I've seen a number of Spurs I know (who all go home and away) saying it would be the last straw for them , sounds like complete agreement amongst their match going fans that this is a terrible idea. 

Personally I'd be quite happy to get rid of the top 6, would make football more competitive and much more attractive for me. I fear this is actually more of a negotiating tool that they will use to stay in domestic / champions league but get bigger cut of tv deals

Just now, Disco Stu said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">- Put out a story to put pressure on UEFA<br>- Get everyone in a massive, angry flap <br>- Take the insults because there’s huge money at stake<br>- Come to a new CL agreement and put the super league back in the cupboard again till leverage is needed next time. <br>- Repeat<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SuperLeague?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SuperLeague</a></p>&mdash; Alex Kay-Jelski (@AlexKayJelski) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKayJelski/status/1383859923696578561?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 18, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> 

Agreed 100%

12 minutes ago, JRM said:

I think they will mate, I've seen a number of Spurs I know (who all go home and away) saying it would be the last straw for them , sounds like complete agreement amongst their match going fans that this is a terrible idea. 

Personally I'd be quite happy to get rid of the top 6, would make football more competitive and much more attractive for me. I fear this is actually more of a negotiating tool that they will use to stay in domestic / champions league but get bigger cut of tv deals

Don’t really see how anyone can think it’s good idea other than those running the clubs. Even the players appear to lose out in that They’ll be banned from playing for their countries. 

id quite like to see it happen, no interested in the top 6 and it would make our league more interesting. Be great to see fans boycotting it, no one watching it on the Telly,  if some players and mangers boycotted it too then even better.

As several have said this is pure greed. The clubs ( not teams...) who have allegedly signed up for this are those whose owners have purchased for quick bucks. Aside from Man City the teams quoted have had pretty poor seasons over the last few years. Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, arguably Liverpool, all of which threaten their investment. How do you protect it? Suggest a new league with no relegation and protected membership. No interest in football, no interest in development, let the other teams do it and we'll cherry-pick their players to supplement our superstars. Only money. In free markets this can drive the best in progress and efficiency. The point is that this requires a free market, this is a closed shop. Let them go, glory hunters of those clubs may rejoice at first, when they become part of a barren wasteland with no development, progression or opportunity they will become plastic franchises. Be a bit like watching WWE etc. No real emotion or passion just pure hype so sad. It will fail, but do the governing bodies have the balls to make it so as they should?

• Like 1

On this forum we've got people smugly crowing about how they couldn't be bothered to watch their own club in a FA Cup semi final today.

These people are the perfect audience for this type of super league.

People that only care if the cards are stacked in their own team's favour. No interest in the natural drama and excitement or sport, or the spirit of competition. No connection to the cities or regions the clubs come from, no family connections to the club they support. They'll only watch if they think there's glory in it.

This country and this continent is full of absolute twats, so it's pretty likely a super league like this would be a great success.

Me, I'm happy we won't be anywhere near it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

On this forum we've got people smugly crowing about how they couldn't be bothered to watch their own club in a FA Cup semi final today.

These people are the perfect audience for this type of super league.

People that only care if the cards are stacked in their own team's favour. No interest in the natural drama and excitement or sport, or the spirit of competition. No connection to the cities or regions the clubs come from, no family connections to the club they support. They'll only watch if they think there's glory in it.

This country and this continent is full of absolute twats, so it's pretty likely a super league like this would be a great success.

Me, I'm happy we won't be anywhere near it.

Quite a lot wrong with that but I’ll give it a shot....

I wasn’t smugly crowing about anything, it was more of a statement on what a pathetic state our club is in that I didn’t even have the vaguest hope that they might put in a performance.  No, you couldn’t pay me to watch this super league and the clubs involved can all p*ss off and disappear up their own a*ses as far as I’m concerned.

The cards aren’t stacked in our favour, we’re playing with our own cards face up on the table whilst trying to bluff our opponents with a Jack high in every hand. There is no natural drama, or excitement. We turn up, completely bottle it, put in a none performance and lose against the 4th worst team in the division playing with 9 men to name but one performance. If you think I’m bad, I’ve seen the Emirates 1/4 full in Wengers last season in protest at home terrible being 6th in the league was. I’d laugh my tits off seeing that lot losing 12 out of 14 or whatever in some crappy European Super League. 

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Quite a lot wrong with that but I’ll give it a shot....

I wasn’t smugly crowing about anything, it was more of a statement on what a pathetic state our club is in that I didn’t even have the vaguest hope that they might put in a performance.  No, you couldn’t pay me to watch this super league and the clubs involved can all p*ss off and disappear up their own a*ses as far as I’m concerned.

The cards aren’t stacked in our favour, we’re playing with our own cards face up on the table whilst trying to bluff our opponents with a Jack high in every hand. There is no natural drama, or excitement. We turn up, completely bottle it, put in a none performance and lose against the 4th worst team in the division playing with 9 men to name but one performance. If you think I’m bad, I’ve seen the Emirates 1/4 full in Wengers last season in protest at home terrible being 6th in the league was. I’d laugh my tits off seeing that lot losing 12 out of 14 or whatever in some crappy European Super League. 

I read your post. Smug. Crowing.

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If you say so.

All I'll say is I've been watching my club since I was ten, because my father and my brothers did, and will for the rest of my life regardless of league or form or status or anything.

It doesn't take much to watch a FA Cup semi on the TV. Just the fifth one in my lifetime.

You want to smug off that you did DIY instead I don't think you are in any position to disparage any super league or breakaway. You're part of the problem. 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 8

Personally, I think that the six clubs that signed up to support this should all be relegated to league 2 at the end of the season, and the top 6 clubs from each league should be promoted to fill the gaps. Might also boost the finances of some lower league sides over the next few seasons with increased gates while the 'big 6' claw their way back through the leagues.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

All I'll say is I've been watching my club since I was ten, because my father and my brothers did, and will for the rest of my life regardless of league or form or status or anything.

It doesn't take much to watch a FA Cup semi on the TV. Just the third one in my lifetime.

You want to smug off that you did DIY instead I don't think you are in any position to disparage any super league or breakaway. You're part of the problem. 

Likewise. It skipped a generation but my grandparents were ST holders. I didn’t grow up in Southampton but supported them anyway because I wanted to support a club I had a genuine connection to, not just be another plastic tw*t in an Arsenal or Liverpool shirt.

I’ve supported them through thick and thin, went to more games than ever in the Wotte/Poortvleit and League 1 seasons but there needs to be some vague hint towards the ‘thick and’ side of that bargain. Until the team actually look like they’ve got some sort of backbone and ambition, I’m really not bothered if I miss a game or two. If that makes me a sh*t fan then fine, I can live with that but I’m definitely not the kind of mug who’s going to run off and pay €90 for a ticket to see Arsenal against Man City.

So the statement is 15 founding clubs with an opportunity for 5 other clubs to join them Depending on their success, so they prequalify every season. What a joke. Clubs to still be in their domestic leagues with matches to be played midweek. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Personally, I think that the six clubs that signed up to support this should all be relegated to league 2 at the end of the season, and the top 6 clubs from each league should be promoted to fill the gaps. Might also boost the finances of some lower league sides over the next few seasons with increased gates while the 'big 6' claw their way back through the leagues.

Agree. Expelled immediately. No second chances, no “we-didn’t-really-mean-it”. Next week’s EFL Final cancelled and the trophy awarded to Brentford (the only semi-finalist not involved in this proposed new Super League). The FA Cup awarded to Leicester. The names of the 6 guilty clubs expunged from the record books.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So the statement is 15 founding clubs with an opportunity for 5 other clubs to join them Depending on their success, so they prequalify every season. What a joke. Clubs to still be in their domestic leagues with matches to be played midweek. 

Basically a champions league that no one else can ever be a part of.

3.5b has been allocated to each founding club to help with infrastructure costs, and to offset against the COVID-19 troubles.

Honestly, this is just the pits.

Edited by S-Clarke

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham are among 12 clubs who have agreed to join a new European Super League (ESL).

In a seismic move for European football, the Premier League clubs will join AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid.

The ESL said the founding clubs had agreed to establish a "new midweek competition" with teams continuing to "compete in their respective national leagues".

It says the inaugural season "is intended to commence as soon as practicable" and "anticipated that a further three clubs will join" the breakaway.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Uefa and the Premier League condemned the move when news of it broke on Sunday.

In a statement, the ESL said: "Going forward, the founding clubs look forward to holding discussions with Uefa and Fifa to work together in partnership to deliver the best outcomes for the new league and for football as a whole.

"The formation of the Super League comes at a time when the global pandemic has accelerated the instability in the existing European football economic model.

"In recent months, extensive dialogue has taken place with football stakeholders regarding the future format of European competitions.

"The founding clubs believe the solutions proposed following these talks do not solve fundamental issues, including the need to provide higher-quality matches and additional financial resources for the overall football pyramid."

Manchester United co-chairman Joel Glazer will be a vice-chairman of the Super League.

He said: "By bringing together the world's greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid."

What is the proposed format?

The league will have 20 teams - the 12 founding members plus the three unnamed clubs they expect to join soon and five sides who qualify annually according to their domestic achievements.

It will start in August, with midweek fixtures, and the clubs will be split into two groups of 10, who play each other home and away.

The top three in each group qualify for the quarter-finals, with the teams in fourth and fifth playing a two-legged play-off for the two remaining spots.

From then, on it will have the same two-leg knockout format used in the Champions League before a single-leg final in May at neutral venue.

Super League organisers say each club participating in the competition will receive a payment of €3.5bn - that works out at just over £3bn.

In a statement, the League said: "The new annual tournament will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football via a long-term commitment to uncapped solidarity payments which will grow in line with league revenues. 

"These solidarity payments will be substantially higher than those generated by the current European competition and are expected to be in excess of €10 billion during the course of the initial commitment period of the Clubs. 

"In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework. In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic."

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Let's hope they stick to their guns. 

This bullshit about wanting to secure financial security for all levels of the game...how does that £3billion they each receive help clubs in league two? If they really cared that much, that £45billion (Jesus) would just be split amongst all clubs.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham are among 12 clubs who have agreed to join a new European Super League (ESL).

In a seismic move for European football, the Premier League clubs will join AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid.

The ESL said the founding clubs had agreed to establish a "new midweek competition" with teams continuing to "compete in their respective national leagues".

It says the inaugural season "is intended to commence as soon as practicable" and "anticipated that a further three clubs will join" the breakaway.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Uefa and the Premier League condemned the move when news of it broke on Sunday.

In a statement, the ESL said: "Going forward, the founding clubs look forward to holding discussions with Uefa and Fifa to work together in partnership to deliver the best outcomes for the new league and for football as a whole.

"The formation of the Super League comes at a time when the global pandemic has accelerated the instability in the existing European football economic model.

"In recent months, extensive dialogue has taken place with football stakeholders regarding the future format of European competitions.

"The founding clubs believe the solutions proposed following these talks do not solve fundamental issues, including the need to provide higher-quality matches and additional financial resources for the overall football pyramid."

Manchester United co-chairman Joel Glazer will be a vice-chairman of the Super League.

He said: "By bringing together the world's greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid."

What is the proposed format?

The league will have 20 teams - the 12 founding members plus the three unnamed clubs they expect to join soon and five sides who qualify annually according to their domestic achievements.

It will start in August, with midweek fixtures, and the clubs will be split into two groups of 10, who play each other home and away.

The top three in each group qualify for the quarter-finals, with the teams in fourth and fifth playing a two-legged play-off for the two remaining spots.

From then, on it will have the same two-leg knockout format used in the Champions League before a single-leg final in May at neutral venue.

They seem to think that the domestic leagues are just going to accept it, given that the 5 late comers are going to be joining based on domestic achievements. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Super League organisers say each club participating in the competition will receive a payment of €3.5bn - that works out at just over £3bn.

In a statement, the League said: "The new annual tournament will provide significantly greater economic growth and support for European football via a long-term commitment to uncapped solidarity payments which will grow in line with league revenues. 

"These solidarity payments will be substantially higher than those generated by the current European competition and are expected to be in excess of €10 billion during the course of the initial commitment period of the Clubs. 

"In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework. In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic."

Not much point even pretending the PL is going to be competitive any more. Glad that my love of football is on the wane, as I'll prob see how next season goes, given that my ST money is still with the club, and then take it from there. 

Just now, angelman said:

Not much point even pretending the PL is going to be competitive any more. Glad that my love of football is on the wane, as I'll prob see how next season goes, given that my ST money is still with the club, and then take it from there. 

Screenshot_20210418-235248.png

Wouldn’t be the worst thing. If the big 6 left the league would be much more competitive.

They should:

1. Kick these teams out of their domestic leagues

2. prevent their players from participating in the Euros and World Cup - cue player revolt from many

3. prevent transfers from the teams outside the super league to the super league. Once their supply of good young players (Haaland, Mbappe, etc) runs out from across The World and the current crop of players in the Super League get older how good will it be then?

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Let's hope they stick to their guns. 

This bullshit about wanting to secure financial security for all levels of the game...how does that £3billion they each receive help clubs in league two? If they really cared that much, that £45billion (Jesus) would just be split amongst all clubs.

The money they are talking about is insane. If that money is out there (and how, by the way, given the current climate?) then just share that equally throughout every league, and let that filter down the levels of football in all countries. It's the only fair way about it.

But that won't happen, because this money has been tapped into via the mega Oil wealth of Man City, the Russian money tree of Abromanvich etc. They want their money to benfit them and them alone. 

Could be a massive PR stunt of course, on the eve of Uefa announcing their new UCL format - but it's still all very dirty and it's not a nice game anymore.

6 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

prevent transfers from the teams outside the super league to the super league. Once their supply of good young players (Haaland, Mbappe, etc) runs out from across The World and the current crop of players in the Super League get older how good will it be then?

Would that even be feasible? I get how the other way around the PL could ban clubs from registering players who’ve played in the ESL but if the ESL actively want to poach these players what can realistically be done to stop them leaving?

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This basically sounds like the new Champions League but guaranteed entry for 12 clubs.

The website says games will be played midweek and clubs will remain in their domestic leagues with some confidence.

It is ridiculous, clubs like Arsenal even if they finish 10th can attract top players not just on wages but also on this guaranteed lure of playing in the top league.

I am hoping this goes ahead now!

1) The fallout and chaos that ensues should be good entertainment after what has turned into a drab season

2) Sure, Saints will be financially affected as a result, but this also applies to the likes of WHU, Wolves, Leicester, Everton etc

3) The PL without the top 6 should be competitive, and gives us a better chance in cups etc

I suppose the main question for me though is how does this impact any takeovers? Gao wanted £250m I believe, is the club now worth like £100m if these clubs are forced to breakaway/leave domestic league? 
All would be dependent on the new TV deal right?!

Edited by nta786

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Would that even be feasible? I get how the other way around the PL could ban clubs from registering players who’ve played in the ESL but if the ESL actively want to poach these players what can realistically be done to stop them leaving?

If they run their contract down then nothing can be done, but you can ban actual transfers. 

Although I guess a super League team could pay saints to cancel Danny Ings contract...

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

If they run their contract down then nothing can be done, but you can ban actual transfers. 

Although I guess a super League team could pay saints to cancel Danny Ings contract...

I’m not certain on the legalities but is that not what a transfer basically is anyway? Club A pays Club B an agreed amount to effectively cancel his contract and they then offer him a new one. Providing the ESL gave permission to register these players (which they obviously would) I’m not entirely sure what would be blocking a transfer. 

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I’m not certain on the legalities but is that not what a transfer basically is anyway? Club A pays Club B an agreed amount to effectively cancel his contract and they then offer him a new one. Providing the ESL gave permission to register these players (which they obviously would) I’m not entirely sure what would be blocking a transfer. 

A transfer right now is a transfer of their legal registration between two FIFA recognised clubs I believe, FIFA registrations won't be required for playing in this super League I'm guessing. 

Just now, Cartman said:

So now that the 12 clubs are going to be expelled and disaffiliated, presumably their players will now be available on free transfers. Who would we like? Oblak? Ter Stegen? Bring back VVD, Mané and Shaw?

The club's still have them under contract.