Where's our next clean sheet going to come from?

Disco Stu

Everton away - 0-1 HT - 3-1 FT

Manchester United home - 1-0 HT - 1-1 FT

Newcastle United away - 0-0 HT - 2-2 FT

We've only kept two league clean sheets this year; Liverpool in January and Sheffield United in March.  It seems we've made no real attempt to recify this. Vestergaard has now gone and although not a great defender, he was still our most competent. Instead of buying a first team replacement, we've brought in Lyanco which Hasenhuttl has already stated will be slowly eased into the first team. This is no slight on Lyanco but can we afford to make do with our current options?

It's too late to do anything about it now but given it's been such an obvious problem for many months now, it's very concerning to come into this season arguably weaker in this position. It seems there's also a mental frailty when it comes to second halves as well. I generally like Hasenhuttl and want him to do well but he's never found a solution to this problem.

Likewise, we've got possibly the worst goalkeeper in this league but I can undertand the restrictions given Mccarthy's and Forster's monumental wages.

So, when do you think we'll finally keep the ball out of the net?

• Like 1

We lacked a clinical edge today and the two goals weren't convincing. We're no longer a team that can out-fire the opposition. If we need to score at least 2 goals every game, we'll be in big trouble. I'll predict 23rd October, Burnley at home.

• Sad 1

Not sure, when the press breaks down we are critically exposed in defence, the defence then appear as headless chickens,  resulting in defenders being dug out, but there is something fundamentally flawed in Ralph-ball. 

So it’s hard to say when we will have a clean sheet, there will always be a game such as Liverpool last year when we were under siege but still didn’t concede. 

• Like 1

We need to address this bizarre issue we have with the 45-55 min period. Every game, without fail, we come out after the break looking like rabbits in headlights, play abysmally, and concede during that first 10 minutes. I have no idea what the cause of this is, it's very weird. But if we could somehow manage to cut it out and carry over the momentum from the first half into that period, we would have a much better chance of winning and/or getting a clean sheet. 

Can't see us keeping West Ham out, cos we always roll over for them these days, and there's more chance of hell freezing over than Man City failing to score against us at the moment, so I reckon Wolves at the end of September is realistically our next opportunity for a clean sheet. 

42 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

I've no idea what people expect to change. Every match we get people defending McCarthy. This and that goal weren't his fault. Yet for a very long time we've seen his lack of communication, his indecision and panicking harm the defence. We concede more with him in, it's as simple as that. 

If teams like West ham, Leeds, Villa had McCarthy, they wouldnt get clean sheets either. 

It's last Christmas since he kept a clean sheet. One win in that time. That's a long enough period to assume we're down if he stays in goal right? 

There's good signs from the rest of the team. Full back options decent now, Stephens improved, Salisu good, Lyanco to come in and hopefully Bednarek better after a rest. Yes we need to take more chances but we pile on the pressure knowing one goal is never enough to win. 

Who's defended McCarthy? People recognise he's shit and say so.

Stephens hasn't improved. He's always been able to do it, but goes into dreamer mode and messes up. This season is no different. 

Agreed that we have to take our chances, but the reality is that players at our level will miss. 

53 minutes ago, egg said:

Who's defended McCarthy? People recognise he's shit and say so.

Stephens hasn't improved. He's always been able to do it, but goes into dreamer mode and messes up. This season is no different. 

Agreed that we have to take our chances, but the reality is that players at our level will miss. 

They are not shit especially McArthy who is one of the best goalkeepers in England as most PL keepers are foreign 

They are good but not outstanding in one of the most competive leagues in the world

They play in a team which sometimes does well but usually finishes nearer the bottom than the top.

That is the way it has been ever since we have been in the top division I accept this fact and over the last fifty years and lived with it

We are just not going to be a really successful team because we do not have enough fans or money

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John B said:

They are not shit especially McArthy who is one of the best goalkeepers in England as most PL keepers are foreign 

They are good but not outstanding in one of the most competive leagues in the world

They play in a team which sometimes does well but usually finishes nearer the bottom than the top.

That is the way it has been ever since we have been in the top division I accept this fact and over the last fifty years and lived with it

We are just not going to be a really successful team because we do not have enough fans or money

Gotta disagree with you. Our goalkeepers are our biggest weak like by a distance. The decision to give McCarthy a new contract was mind boggling. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Gotta disagree with you. Our goalkeepers are our biggest weak like by a distance. The decision to give McCarthy a new contract was mind boggling. 

Well of course somebody has to be the worst link in a team like somebody has to be the best

McArthy is far from being a liabilty but playing the system which Ralph is playing he is going to have more activity than say in a team managed by Puel

I agree the GK position is not good but that was caused by the ridiculous decision to buy Gunn some years ago and the problems encountered by Forster but we have to live with the situation this season

I do not agree that giving Mcarthy an extension to his contract is mind boggling if he is No 2 next season when we get in another keeper to replace Forster

• Like 2

So you effectively giving a pay rise to a player whose crap and won't be no1 next season, yes it is mind boggling, no one will buy him so keep him in on his current contract and if he goes for free, so be it At least we save the difference in old versus new contracts , plus there's a reason iirc he was 3rd choice at Palace 

Edited by danjosaint

8 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

So you effectively giving a pay rise to a player whose crap and won't be no1 next season, yes it is mind boggling, no one will buy him so keep him in on his current contract and if he goes for free, so be it At least we save the difference in old versus new contracts , plus there's a reason iirc he was 3rd choice at Palace 

Is he getting a pay ride though? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So in reply to the header...where's our next clean sheet going  to come from.... certainly answered today against West Ham.  Defence looked solid , Salisu and Stephens good partnership, McCarthy looked decent, its goals we need.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Last time I brought this up we kept a clean sheet in our very next league game so I'm reviving it in the hope lightning strikes twice. Our defense has recieved so much investment but we've ended having a worse defensive start than last season. I think this teams inability to hold onto the ball is a major factor. We've resorted to bypassing the lines up to an ineffective Che Adams and we've stopped pressing the opposition allowing them to pile pressure onto an inexperienced team.

• Like 2