Manager Merry-go-round

TWar

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

Do you realise the window is closed

Yes, which is why I clearly stated that there wasn’t an active transfer window.

All I’m saying is that there was obviously a lot of media attention given to the Newcastle takeover and how they would soon become a super club. However, so far they have not shown a lot so far despite being in charge for a near month and now Emery has said they lack direction, so it’s relevant. I then used us an example to show what could be done within a month. Sacking an unpopular manager, appointing a new one and signing a handful of players on top of that. Cortese/Liebherr weren’t interested in buying us for 18 months either, where you would expect a plan to be outlined. 

Edited by HarvSFC

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Athletic reporting formally that Emery has said he is staying at Villareal. 

No worries, Nuno is available, Ancelotti, Solskjaer and Smith will likely soon be, Tim "proper manager" Sherwood always is, Big Sam and Little Sam are, and saggy chops Harry is absolutely gagging for it!

Edited by Singapore Saint

Thing is any decent manager is going to be thinking that you are on a hiding to nothing taking the Newcastle job, stay up with the millions you'll get no credit, go down with their cash and you'll be branded the biggest failure.  And going down is a real possibility, they'll have played realistically 21 games until they can get signings in and trained (because they play us away on 2nd Jan, so anyone coming in would literally have to get them in on the 1st Jan), which means even if they get decent signings in and early in Jan, whoever is manager only has 17 games with his new squad, to potentially keep them up. Cos you could easily see them only on about 15 points or something by Jan, especially as they have to play Arsenal, Leicester, Liverpool, Man City, as well as in form Brighton away, Everton away, (and hopefully in form us away). So the games against Norwich, Brentford and Burnley become massive. 

You want the Newcastle job in like 3-4 years, when they have gone through their 'Robinho' phase and have started to mould into top 4 challengers. 

Just now, adriansfc said:

1. Who cares? The quality when it was mainly English was appalling. 

2. Has there every been so much English footballing talent? The quality of the league and financial power of clubs here has seen academies thrive and there's no a huge number of technically gifted players that used to be incredibly rare. Foden, Mount, Grealish, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Bellingham, Rice and that's before we get to the hundred or so top class right backs there seem to be. 

As for managers, plenty of British ones have had more than their share of chances. I'd say the endless cycle of Hughes/Allardyce/Pardew etc made life far harder for decent coaches who actually want to play football. Potter has done great and I'm sure others will in future too. But if more innovative coaches from from other leagues, who cares?

Actually your No. 2 here is a very interesting point.

Last night I showed my 11 yo the you tube video of the 1984 Liverpool game we won 2-0. When the teams sheets came up, he couldn’t believe almost all players were English.

I can recall the days when I think it was Chelsea who started with the first ‘all foreign’ 11, and people moaning at the time about the degradation of the English game. I thought it was short sighted then as English players could learn so much from foreign players and managers, and lately this has been so prevalent. It is the same with skills shortages in business, labour markets etc.

1 hour ago, Singapore Saint said:

No worries, Nuno is available, Ancelotti, Solskjaer and Smith will likely soon be, Tim "proper manager" Sherwood always is, Big Sam and Little Sam are, and saggy chops Harry is absolutely gagging for it!

Sounds like it is going to be Eddie Howe!

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

It's basically Guilleme Balague versus every other football journalist on earth.

Hats off to an excellent journalist with excellent contacts - he called it when everyone else was saying done deal.

Unai made the right call as well. It's strange when a club owned by gazillionaires is a poisoned chalice but I think it is right now.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

Howe looking favourite now. Doesn't seem a popular choice but this job is currently a poison chalice with the initial brief just to keep them in the Premier league. The bigger names being touted are unlikely to go for that and run the risk of having a relegation on their CV. Howe is reported to have seen a lot of our games so, if it is him, I hope he doesn't come knocking for Salisu in January because they certainly need a decent centre back to steady their defence.

9 hours ago, St Louis said:

Eh? We were talking about ex-Chelsea managers who took over at Spurs weren't we?

Yes, sorry, my mistake.

Although to be fair Hoddle going to Spurs not really comparable to the others, which is the current Tottenham taking managers with recent history at Ambramovic's Chelsea. Ken Bates era Chelsea not quite the same, and Hoddle was a Spurs legend.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Because a desperate Newcastle would pay big money and offer him a huge wage increase.

Southampton FC not the centre of the universe. If Newcastle really are going to start splashing huge cash around in January they aren't going to go for Salisu. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Southampton FC not the centre of the universe. If Newcastle really are going to start splashing huge cash around in January they aren't going to go for Salisu. 

This. Everyone here is bigging up Salisu as the next Beckenbauer. He's good for us but I don't envisage any of the big boys/nouveau riche coming for him any time soon.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

What would be the incentive for Saints to sell mid season vs the end of the season?

Never heard of agents looking to move on players for big money so that they get their slice of the grubby pie? Dangling big money offers is quite the done thing from what I can gather. Gets players unsettled.

32 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

This. Everyone here is bigging up Salisu as the next Beckenbauer. He's good for us but I don't envisage any of the big boys/nouveau riche coming for him any time soon.

Naive. He is a superb cb in the making and so young. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he sees out that contract with saints.

7 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Never heard of agents looking to move on players for big money so that they get their slice of the grubby pie? Dangling big money offers is quite the done thing from what I can gather. Gets players unsettled.

Not sure what any of that has to do with Newcastle specifically going for Salisu in January.

You only think it's going to happen because he plays for us.

30 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

That does not answer the question I asked.

I asked...

"What would be the incentive for Saints to sell mid season vs the end of the season?"

Edited by Matthew Le God

45 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That also doesn't really answer the question. Why mid season in January rather than next summer?

Because if Newcastle are desperate for a centre back in January they might pay silly money, if we don’t want to sell Salisu they will buy someone else.

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Because if Newcastle are desperate for a centre back in January they might pay silly money, if we don’t want to sell Salisu they will buy someone else.

Just to do MLG's  job for him, his question was

"What would be the incentive for Saints to sell mid season vs the end of the season?"

...and having read your post a couple of times I still don't see an answer.

"Because they might buy him or they might not buy him" - what?

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Just to do MLG's  job for him, his question was

"What would be the incentive for Saints to sell mid season vs the end of the season?"

...and having read your post a couple of times I still don't see an answer.

"Because they might buy him or they might not buy him" - what?

Read my first answer, the incentive is a big pile of cash.

22 minutes ago, aintforever said:

....which, as you've already been told, doesn't answer the question because if Salisu is any good there will be other big piles of cash later.

There is no benefit in us selling Salisu in January. And we won't because Newcastle won't want him.

Just a load of old paranoid SaintsWeb forum bollocks. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

In that case, whats the point of the January window?

Truth be told, very little. There’s the odd player here and there who isn’t getting a game and decides to try his luck elsewhere. Then there’s the occasional Austin or Fonte who’s out of contract in summer and the owners decide to cash in. For us though, there’s absolutely no motivation to sell our best centre half in January when we’re nowhere near being assured of safety.

7 hours ago, aintforever said:

That does not answer the question as a big pile of cash would also be available for him in the summer. So what is the incentive for Saints to sell mid season vs the summer?

Edited by Matthew Le God

58 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Might have legs.

Not sure if you posted before Nixon or not.

Fair play.

Let's see how this one plays out.

FC6E2E2D-C4DD-4F92-BDD6-CFEE18F436AD.jpeg

Benitez back to the Geordies, Everton fan Eddie Howe in at Goodison, everyone's happy - particular the scousers who get shot of the red, cop big compensation and get a cheap option in return. I'll give him about 6 months on Merseyside.

6 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

Benitez back to the Geordies, Everton fan Eddie Howe in at Goodison, everyone's happy - particular the scousers who get shot of the red, cop big compensation and get a cheap option in return. I'll give him about 6 months on Merseyside.

There's logic in that theory. Could see that happening, although I wouldn’t be surprised if Howe did well at Everton.

1 hour ago, JustinSFC said:

Might have legs.

Not sure if you posted before Nixon or not.

Fair play.

Let's see how this one plays out.

FC6E2E2D-C4DD-4F92-BDD6-CFEE18F436AD.jpeg

Nixon has contacts and is one of the main correspondents for The Sun but he's been clever there by not actually saying anything much.

Feels all a bit too neat-and-tidy for Rafael-Newcastle-Howe-Everton, especially as Benitez hasn't really done much wrong, yet (they're just being Everton). We'll see.

I feel sorry for Nunez, what the hell is he supposed to achieve in 10 matches? He's best out of it.

Ralph has had three years and things are just about coming together for him now. Truth is Spurs are a mess under the leadership of a guy who clearly has no idea how to run a successful PL club. With the cost of the new stadium hovering over them how soon before they are declared bankrupt.

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

That does not answer the question as a big pile of cash would also be available for him in the summer. So what is the incentive for Saints to sell mid season vs the summer?

Because the pile of cash obviously might not be anywhere as big in the summer. Every player has their price - if you know the club are desperate and are owned by someone for whom money is no object you can name the price. Come the summer Newcastle might not be desperate or even interested.

38 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Because the pile of cash obviously might not be anywhere as big in the summer. Every player has their price - if you know the club are desperate and are owned by someone for whom money is no object you can name the price. Come the summer Newcastle might not be desperate or even interested.

In which case Saints keep him and why would they view that as a bad thing?

Nobody is doubting how good Salisu looks at the moment. Absolute gem in the making, but there is a long way to go.

Saints are clearly following the Dortmund model, and will sell big at some point. That model also includes having a replacement ready.

When Newcastle spend big in January, they'll go for experience and big names. Mings, Coady, Tarkowski, or any number of Italians, are more likely to be on their radar.

Anyway if they really want Salisu, please make a cheque out for £100 million. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

£50 million > JWP, and if that offer is only available in January then we should take it.

Hes worth more than £50m fullstop, add in a January premium for mid-season disruption and the fact he'd be harder to replace, I think we'd want way higher than that. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

In which case Saints keep him and why would they view that as a bad thing?

They wouldn't necessarily. But if the club receive a ridiculous amount for any player it might mean the team can be improved overall with a few signings. It obviously all depends on how much they get, what replacements they have lined up and what our position is in the league as to wether it makes sense to sell.

On 02/11/2021 at 17:36, Minsk said:

Next to go?

Bielsa could away from Leeds if they don't start churning out results like season. Wouldn't be sacked though.

Will Norwich stick with Farke?

Quite possibly Smith at Villa, if they remain in the bottom half as Christmas approaches.

Posted this last Tuesday. Didn't think both would be gone in less than a week. That's 1 in 4, 25%, of Premier League managers sacked 11 matches into the season; including 2 of the 3 who got their teams promoted into it for this campaign, and those 2 being the ones who earned automatic promotions! 

• Like 1