Manager Merry-go-round

TWar

Couldn't find where to post this to discuss it but it seems Spurs have brought in Conte and Newcastle are on the verge of hiring one of Emery or Howe. 

Wondering everyones thoughts on these. I think both Conte and Emery would be good pick ups, Howe not so much. Seeing rumours both are about to go huge in the January window. Also who is the next manager to go? Has Ole saved himself? And what of Dean Smith?

Managerial changes after a few defeats gives players the power. Thank goodness we have a wiser Board  in spite of rantings on this site. We needed stability and time for the long term plan. The dross is at last cleared out. The stronger and younger squad is shaping well. These things don't happen in five minutes or even in a few 'windows' especially when it has to be done without funding. The plan is bearing fruit, let Newcastle, Spurs throw some money around and probably Everton and Villa before long. Ever heard of the tortoise and the hare?

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

They're both better managers than Bruce so you'd expect them to improve somewhat.  Emery would be a better bet to attract talent in January though.

Not sure I agree that Howe is better than Bruce.

Wouldn't be surprised if Benitez is out the door soon too, the bloke is the Spanish Allardyce

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure I agree that Howe is better than Bruce.

Wouldn't be surprised if Benitez is out the door soon too, the bloke is the Spanish Allardyce

I've been quite impressed with Benitez tbh. Everton are obviously a bit fucked moneywise. They went from dropping £100m on three midfielders in one window to signing two wingers (Gray and Townsend) for a combined £3m or so to replace James Rodrigues and Iwobi (who were both big money). They are bargain shopping to the extreme and Benitez is kind of making it work. It's not perfect but they are higher in the table than when Ancelotti left (and he is a great manager). Been pretty unfortunate with injuries too, losing both DCL and Richarlison for long periods so far.

42 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Man Utd have dithered over Ole and now they've missed out on Conte. What a mess

Agree with this, that spurs united game might be the most costly win united have had in years!

Edited by TWar

Is it becoming inevitable that the English Premier League will end up with no English managers and possibly no English players?

What then for our beloved national game and how soon will the franchise de-camp to the US or Middle East?

The English Premier League is becoming less English by the day

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Is it becoming inevitable that the English Premier League will end up with no English managers and possibly no English players?

What then for our beloved national game and how soon will the franchise de-camp to the US or Middle East?

Unlikely that we end up with no English players, as we have home grown rules and stuff. Also smaller teams will probably always have a lot of english lads from the academy/lower league development. Big sides might not have many English players but they haven't for decades.

Regarding English managers, doesn't really bother me tbh. The best guy for the job will get it, generally speaking.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Right: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57835275

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Wish we could go back to the days when English managers were winning the Premier League…

17 minutes ago, ChrisPY said:

Wish we could go back to the days when English managers were winning the Premier League…

Has an English manager ever won the premier league? If i remember rightly the last English manager to win top flight was howard Wilkinson, but that was with Leeds before the premier league and football itself was invented.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It's not the English Premier League. It is "The Premier League" (often referred to as the English Premier League or the EPL). The legal name is the Football Association Premier League Limited (note not the English Football Association). It cannot become less English. Sorry to be pedantic.

Emery will walk in and assess the Newcastle squad and say- 'Ooh, you are awful...but I like you!'.

Not mine sadly.  Copied from the comments section of the BBC article.  Made me smile, although I guess that you must be of a certain age to appreciate it.

• Haha 7

27 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

Emery will walk in and assess the Newcastle squad and say- 'Ooh, you are awful...but I like you!'.

Not mine sadly.  Copied from the comments section of the BBC article.  Made me smile, although I guess that you must be of a certain age to appreciate it.

Not many will know dickie on here .. the snowflake wokies are to young !

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Has an English manager ever won the premier league? If i remember rightly the last English manager to win top flight was howard Wilkinson, but that was with Leeds before the premier league and football itself was invented.

No English, a couple of Scottish fellas have won it.

32 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

Not sure if it is just me, but he reminds me of Latka Gravas from"Taxi".....

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Apart from Kenny Dalglish with Blackburn, I can’t think of any others.

Of the managerial changes already made:

Conte is a definite upgrade on Nuno, but will still to bring better players in. Spurs do not have anywhere near a top 4 squad.

Don't see that Ranieri will bring much of an improvement to Watford at all. Just more experience I guess. 

Of the rumoured Newcastle managers:

Emery would definitely be a good appointment for them. Much like Spurs though, he will need to wheel and deal a bit to give them a chance of staying up. Wilson and Saint-Maximin aside, they really don't have much. Lose either of them long term and they are in big trouble.

I don't think Howe would do much there at all. He is certainly no better, and arguably worse, than Bruce.

Really hope they appoint Howe!

Next to go?

Bielsa could away from Leeds if they don't start churning out results like season. Wouldn't be sacked though.

Will Norwich stick with Farke?

Quite possibly Smith at Villa, if they remain in the bottom half as Christmas approaches.

Norwich could stick with him as he gets them promoted. They don't seem too fussed about staying in the Premier League anyway, never seem to buy many players since that season when they spunked loads on crap players and people on here got jealous of their early moves in the transfer window.

I wonder if Zidane will end up at United by the end of the season. 

On 02/11/2021 at 18:06, St Louis said:

Fourth, and that's just in the Premier League era too! 🤯
André Villas-Boas
Glenn Hoddle
José Mourinho
Antonio Conte

Sorry, being thick

Edited by CB Fry
Being thick

1 hour ago, St Louis said:

Fourth, and that's just in the Premier League era too! 🤯
André Villas-Boas
Glenn Hoddle
José Mourinho
Antonio Conte

As well as going for managers with Chelsea connections, Spurs have also put aside any local pride and recruited managers with Arsenal connections in the past.

In the 70’s there were a few raised eyebrows when they went for Terry Neill (former Arsenal captain who was then managing Hull). Highly amusing when he left after a year or so to go to manage Arsenal.

More recently George Graham.

Helps confirm Spurs position as fairly well down the evolutionary chain in London football, regularly taking cast-offs from their rivals.

2 hours ago, Minsk said:

Of the rumoured Newcastle managers:

Emery would definitely be a good appointment for them. Much like Spurs though, he will need to wheel and deal a bit to give them a chance of staying up. Wilson and Saint-Maximin aside, they really don't have much. Lose either of them long term and they are in big trouble.

I don't think Howe would do much there at all. He is certainly no better, and arguably worse, than Bruce.

If Newcastle go for EH I suspect he’ll be charged with keeping them up and they’ll part with him at the end of the season to bring in a ‘name’ .

Agree Farke and Smith are the ones on thin ice at the moment 

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Norwich could stick with him as he gets them promoted. They don't seem too fussed about staying in the Premier League anyway, never seem to buy many players since that season when they spunked loads on crap players and people on here got jealous of their early moves in the transfer window.

I wonder if Zidane will end up at United by the end of the season. 

Why not simeone? Genuine question 

Rumours are that Emery is to reject Newcastle, thinking they lack a clear direction. You can practically hear Geordie heads explode as they contemplate life under Howe. Not exactly the big name they wanted. 

I’m surprised they don’t go for Koeman, after all he has a 50% success rate with teams he’s managed in England!

19 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Rumours are that Emery is to reject Newcastle, thinking they lack a clear direction. 

It does seem a bit odd that the owners had been looking to buy Newcastle for over a year, knew Ashley wanted to sell to them, yet almost a month and three league matches later, they're still managerless. It does seem a bit like it all came as a surprise and only after Bruce lost to Tottenham did they start looking at potential new managers. They're currently six points from safety and haven't won a game yet this season, so it's not like they can afford to throw games either.

Comparatively, Wotte was sacked a day after Liebherr took over and Pardew appointed nine days later. We then signed Lambert, Harding, Murty and Mellis within the first month of the new ownership. I know that there isn't an active transfer window, but we were moving a lot faster in 2009.

6 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Rumours are that Emery is to reject Newcastle, thinking they lack a clear direction.

It's basically Guilleme Balague versus every other football journalist on earth.

He's gone out on a limb to say Emery is going to reject but it doesn't feel that likely now - Emery's press conference quotes yesterday sounded like a "come and get me" as much as anything.

Let's see what happens. Although Emery is obviously an excellent manager I'm not entirely convinced he's the absolute best person to haul them out of the shit.

14 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

There is only one man who can save Newcastle from their current plight. Come on down Big Sam Allardyce.

Wouldn't it be funny  .... all that money, the choice of anyone in the world and they end up with Big Sam. 😊😆

He only lasted 8 months last time he managed Newcastle , victim of new owner .

6 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

It does seem a bit odd that the owners had been looking to buy Newcastle for over a year, knew Ashley wanted to sell to them, yet almost a month and three league matches later, they're still managerless. It does seem a bit like it all came as a surprise and only after Bruce lost to Tottenham did they start looking at potential new managers. They're currently six points from safety and haven't won a game yet this season, so it's not like they can afford to throw games either.

Comparatively, Wotte was sacked a day after Liebherr took over and Pardew appointed nine days later. We then signed Lambert, Harding, Murty and Mellis within the first month of the new ownership. I know that there isn't an active transfer window, but we were moving a lot faster in 2009.

Get the impression that given the furore of the dominant Saudi investor and all the ethical hullabaloo surrounding them they are trying to project the right public image, when you look at the Saudis other two partners and directors in the deal they fly in the face of general perception of Saudi, a woman, and someone with Jewish heritage.
Given the baggage being looked into to get the deal approved by the FA you can guarantee with the way the modern journalism works there will have been hacks instructed to don their mining gear and get digging the moment the deal was getting going. If word got out that they had lined up X to replace Bruce before they were rubber stamped to take over, that would have been just more flack to fend off. So not actually lining up X manager to replace Steve Bruce the moment they were finally allowed in was probably one less thing the media could throw at them, potentially prolonging the process even further. 

23 hours ago, TWar said:

Couldn't find where to post this to discuss it but it seems Spurs have brought in Conte and Newcastle are on the verge of hiring one of Emery or Howe. 

Wondering everyones thoughts on these. I think both Conte and Emery would be good pick ups, Howe not so much. Seeing rumours both are about to go huge in the January window. Also who is the next manager to go? Has Ole saved himself? And what of Dean Smith?

Not sure you can go huge in January anymore. The market is very flat compared with the summer window. Given the limited time to find replacements, many clubs are reluctant to sell and the prices often reflect that. They may be able to bring in a few players, but of what quality and can they hit the ground running? For Newcastles sake they may need to.

Quoting from Emery after the game last night..: “I have been told of their interest and I pretty much don’t have more news than that. There is no offer, which in any case would have to come via the club. So there’s no more beyond that [which would make] me say I’m going.”

From the article I read:

It is understood factors that prompted Emery to think again include uncertainty over who will hold the roles of chief executive and director of football. He has also been upset at how news of the proposed move was played out so publicly before Villarreal’s Champions League game against Young Boys on Tuesday, forcing him to address uncomfortable questions before and after the match.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

This will be the third time that Spurs have tried an ex-Chelsea manager.

If Spurs can't win "something" with Conte, they'll never win anything.  After sacking Pochettino and Mourinho, Spurs really are 

in the " Last Chance Saloon ", and when they eventually lose Kane and Son, and without top class replacements 

they will look like a very ordinary mid-table side, and Levy doesn't like to spend " big money " on transfer fees. 

I really rate Conte, and recall that he had the courage (as then manager of Italy) to select a 29 y.o. Graziano Pelle to debut

and help Italy win big games (when they were going through a terrible spell in 2016). His managerial record is one of the best in football.

He won a Prem. League title and a Cup for Chelsea, (but inevitably fell out of favour at Chelsea) and so his reported 18 month

Spurs contract speaks  for itself.    Win something - or you are OUT !     I wonder who Daniel Levy will line up for a replacement?.

8 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

.....think you may have omitted Dean Hammond, Radhi Jaidi and Jose Fonte amidst Pardews' signings.....or ?

3 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

.....think you may have omitted Dean Hammond, Radhi Jaidi and Jose Fonte amidst Pardews' signings.....or ?

I was only counting those who had signed in the first month of the Liebherr/Cortese/Pardew era, drawing comparisons with Newcastle are acting slowly given they've had new owners for a near month now, which seems a bit wasted and is a lot of time in a football season.

Hammond was the nearest to just miss out, Jaidi signed in early September and Fonte was of course a January signing.

57 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

I was only counting those who had signed in the first month of the Liebherr/Cortese/Pardew era, drawing comparisons with Newcastle are acting slowly given they've had new owners for a near month now, which seems a bit wasted and is a lot of time in a football season.

Hammond was the nearest to just miss out, Jaidi signed in early September and Fonte was of course a January signing.

Do you realise the window is closed

23 hours ago, TWar said:

Unlikely that we end up with no English players, as we have home grown rules and stuff. Also smaller teams will probably always have a lot of english lads from the academy/lower league development. Big sides might not have many English players but they haven't for decades.

Regarding English managers, doesn't really bother me tbh. The best guy for the job will get it, generally speaking.

If that's true, why does the best man for the job get sacked down the road?  Maybe he wasn't after all.....