Manager Merry-go-round

TWar

I'm totally shocked that Newcastle have appointed Howe! First to hold my hand up and say I got that wrong, I said I thought he wouldn't even be in their top ten list of targets! Is it more that whoever goes there is going to have a hell of a job to turn it around and be under so much pressure.  What are your thoughts on the appointment? 

32 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I'm totally shocked that Newcastle have appointed Howe! First to hold my hand up and say I got that wrong, I said I thought he wouldn't even be in their top ten list of targets! Is it more that whoever goes there is going to have a hell of a job to turn it around and be under so much pressure.  What are your thoughts on the appointment? 

it's so the Toon fans can sing "Howeay the Lads"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought that they'd go for a manager with a focus and experience to keep them up. That's not to say Howe can't, but it didn't end well at B'Mouth.

When they started looking, perhaps they thought they'd have more points on the board. And that Howe would be a person for the first phase of developing the club. More, if he's successful. But parting ways for a bigger name, if they felt Howe had hit a ceiling.

19 hours ago, Mr X said:

Stop Gap. If the Toon are relegated because of FPP rules preventing mass signings in January then Howe might be the perfect person to drag them back up to the PL next season. Thus the Club has at least 18 months to look around for a top class manager and paying off Howe will be peanuts to the new owners

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mr X said:

We don't know if he was in their top ten, there could have been plenty laughed at their approach / politely turned them down

Edited by Wurzel

Feels odd to me that Dean Smith is putting himself forward for Norwich within days of being sacked. Have a little holiday mate, spend your compensation.

Also dreading the almost inevitable narrative of "Dean Smith loses his last game against Saints to get the sack but he bounces straight back with Norwich in his first game against...."

We aint got time to be part of "fancy that" fairy stories or future pub quiz questions, we've got points to get. Just give it to someone like Felix Magath or Bob Bradley Norwich, just get on with being relegated FFS.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Feels odd to me that Dean Smith is putting himself forward for Norwich within days of being sacked. Have a little holiday mate, spend your compensation.

Also dreading the almost inevitable narrative of "Dean Smith loses his last game against Saints to get the sack but he bounces straight back with Norwich in his first game against...."

We aint got time to be part of "fancy that" fairy stories or future pub quiz questions, we've got points to get. Just give it to someone like Felix Magath or Bob Bradley Norwich, just get on with being relegated FFS.

Are they sounding the Big Sam klaxon yet?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CB Fry said:

feels a bit like Adkins to Reading.  Too quick and the wrong club.

• Like 1

Does smack a bit of desperation. Is he having some emotional problems handling his dismissal and panicking to get back into the PL at the first opportunity? Big mistake.

Needs to cool down a bit, take some time out and enjoy the pay-off dosh. Cool heads make better decisions.

Something like 'marry in haste'........ ?

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Norwich is a pretty attractive job imo. You get a free hit the rest of this season (surely nobody thinks they’ll realistically stay up), and you’ll get a decent championship side to work with next season. 

Yep. There'll be minimal expectation this season. If they go on a lucky run to the window still in touch, then he'll hopefully get backing to give staying up a go, but if the expected happens, he can build for next season. 

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Needs to get his bearings pretty quickly through the corridors of Carrow Road, if he goes through the wrong door with 'D. Smith' on it he may finds himself cooking the pre-match meals next Saturday...

Heard he's already bought a house on Letzbe Avenue.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Does smack a bit of desperation. Is he having some emotional problems handling his dismissal and panicking to get back into the PL at the first opportunity? Big mistake.

Needs to cool down a bit, take some time out and enjoy the pay-off dosh. Cool heads make better decisions.

Something like 'marry in haste'........ ?

You are probably right, but coping with the absolute rejection and humiliation of losing a high profile job will be extraordinarily difficult to deal with. Maybe getting straight back on the horse is the best thing for him? 

15 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Dean Smith new Norwich manager...confirmed.

31 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

When the club announce it that is confirmation. That still hasn't happened (yet). 😉

1 hour ago, manji said:

Ronald Koeman now linked with Glasgow Rangers.

Good move for him. He's struggled since he left us and a bit of instant glory up there will do him no harm. Bit of a come down from Barcelona though. 

55 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

KInd of weird that we wil be up against the same manager in 2 consecutive league matches, wonder if that's ever happened.

It’s a Premier League first. I’d keep quiet about it though it’s bound to jinx us.

Some of you may already have read this, but I thought I'd stick the link here anyway. I thought it was an interesting read. I foresee mayhem looming for "The Toon's".

Kind of makes you think it's a good thing that our owner leaves footballing matters to those that know something, well....... about football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59225679

26 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ralph looked pissed off after yesterday's capitulation. Never heard him blame players before. If Man U come in for him he'll go

I'm sure Man Utd fans will be delighted with a manager who led a team to a 9 nil battering from them. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tank said:

if the players don't like the new manager he'll go too ... What Manu need is a complete clear out and build a new young squad around Ronaldo. ... Like they did after the 50's tragedy.

... Won't happen of course.

Ronaldo is a world class player, without a doubt, but why would Man U want to build a young team around him? He's 36 and age will affect his game no matter how fit he keeps himself. How many years does he have left in top flight football? What they need first and foremost is a top manager. No more of this jobs for the boys sentimentality. Nostalgia doesn't win trophies. Whoever takes over needs to get the players moving. Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool have players who know the game plan and run all match to implement it. If they lose the ball they go and get it back, they pass up the field. They look like a team. Man U are like a bunch of strangers with no idea of what they should be doing. They have become joggers with no pressing and little enthusiasm. Man U followers have a massive sense of entitlement and I have enjoyed watching it collapse like a pack of cards. Whoever takes over has a job on their hands but if Man U are still hankering for 'the good old days' I expect it will be Steve Bruce. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Ronaldo is a world class player, without a doubt, but why would Man U want to build a young team around him? He's 36 and age will affect his game no matter how fit he keeps himself. How many years does he have left in top flight football? What they need first and foremost is a top manager. No more of this jobs for the boys sentimentality. Nostalgia doesn't win trophies. Whoever takes over needs to get the players moving. Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool have players who know the game plan and run all match to implement it. If they lose the ball they go and get it back, they pass up the field. They look like a team. Man U are like a bunch of strangers with no idea of what they should be doing. They have become joggers with no pressing and little enthusiasm. Man U followers have a massive sense of entitlement and I have enjoyed watching it collapse like a pack of cards. Whoever takes over has a job on their hands but if Man U are still hankering for 'the good old days' I expect it will be Steve Bruce. 

Everybody knows boxing can be fixed but it seems people are blind to the fact that football matches can be thrown too, if players decide for whatever reason they are not going to play to win. That in my opinion is what has been happening at ManU. It didn't start with Ole it started with David Moyes, it carried on with van Gaal and Murhinio and now with Ole. Whoever comes in now if those players who are world class players decide they are not going to support him will find it impossible to assert any kind of authority over them.

The reason Pep is so successful at City is because he has a second team as good as the first team ... as Sterling is finding out.

... that is IMHO

Edited by Tank
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Tank said:

Everybody knows boxing can be fixed but it seems people are blind to the fact that football matches can be thrown too, if players decide for whatever reason they are not going to play to win. That in my opinion is what has been happening at ManU. It didn't start with Ole it started with David Moyes, it carried on with van Gaal and Murhinio and now with Ole. Whoever comes in now if those players who are world class players decide they are not going to support him will find it impossible to assert any kind of authority over them.

The reason Pep is so successful at City is because he has a second team as good as the first team ... as Sterling is finding out.

... that is IMHO

Good point. Years ago nobody had heard of a manager 'losing the dressing room' and there were some very strong characters about in those days. So why does it seem to happen more and more in the modern game? Are the players earning too much money? Has social media inflated their egos? If you can believe paper talk, Poch is struggling to cope with big personalities like Neymar, Mbappe and Messi at PSG so if he goes to United will it just be more of the same rubbish on the pitch?  Oh, I do hope so. 😁

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Good point. Years ago nobody had heard of a manager 'losing the dressing room' and there were some very strong characters about in those days. So why does it seem to happen more and more in the modern game? Are the players earning too much money? Has social media inflated their egos? If you can believe paper talk, Poch is struggling to cope with big personalities like Neymar, Mbappe and Messi at PSG so if he goes to United will it just be more of the same rubbish on the pitch?  Oh, I do hope so. 😁

IMO it's because football is so much more competitive now, everything has to be operating at 110%. And the reality is that if you've lost faith in your manager and their plan, it's very hard to give absolutely everything for it even if you're telling yourself you should. Players can try running around a lot but they'll find themselves chasing shadows because the system isn't working. Pressing has to be done as a team these days and Ole simply didn't have them organised

• Like 1

Thing is Ole similar to us with Hughes got 10 games at Start but had pretty easy run of games so looked like a world beater (obviously not us under MH) when they went on excellent run, Thing is both clubs screwed up , Ole and Hughes should never have got there contracts, the time should of been used for identifying a suitable manager, the so called gegenpress or whatever hipsters call it is amazing....... if everybody and that includes keeper know there roles and triggers, if 1 or 2 can't be bothered it makes u more vulnerable similar to utd and why there getting picked apart,  Ole just didn't have the tactical nous and nor has Carrick, even the high press has its pitfalls , after 1.5 seasons fitness drops off Klopp had it at Dortmund in 2nd season with loads of injuries,  he also had same with Liverpool last year, Peps lucky as have essentially 2 excellent teams but we had it with Ralph, the 1st season we pressed superbly and the 1st Arsenal game was amazing watching  back at a far and seeing players trigger certain moments , it all worked,  we have since completely dropped off and only press in spells, Any new manager especially into a top team HAS to have an identity and that it has to work in epl, so many managers have been caught out with the pace and power of epl that they've ultimately lost there job , problem with Utd is they've no structure above manager its a shambles for a club that size, Citeh got all there structure in place 2 years b4 Pep came in, so he was able to walk in and crack on 

Edited by danjosaint