New Saints reporter for The Athletic (Jacob Tanswell)

SuperSAINT

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Really pleased to see Jacob Tanswell has got the Saints role of Saints reporter for The Athletic.  He’s a really good writer & (for me) was the obvious candidate.

All the best to @Dan Sheldon, The Athletic & good luck with the Manchester move. 

Yeah really rate Jacob, he done some great articles a while back when at Prost Int on https://www.prostinternational.com/author/jtanswell/

Dan clearly had some great contacts at the club but I did miss the tactical insights that Carl offered during his time covering us. Ultimately, you pay for the Athletic as you want to read something different so hopefully Jacob can take up some of that mantle. Best of luck to him, and to Dan in his next venture. 

29 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I wish that there was a Southampton Speedway for him to report on......

Would prefer an ice hockey team, if we're going back to older sports we used to have (assume there was a speedway team once). Used to enjoy the Vikings in the 1970's.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Would prefer an ice hockey team, if we're going back to older sports we used to have (assume there was a speedway team once). Used to enjoy the Vikings in the 1970's.

There was a very good Saints Speedway team! They won the League Championship during their last season in 1963. I used to watch them and also Southampton Vikings Ice Hockey team. Get my Speedway fix on TV, the Isle of Wight and by going to the British GP at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff every year.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Badger said:

There's only one man that could run that Ice Hockey team.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

He’s already miles better than Dan Sheldon imo, who rarely told me anything I didn’t know. Might even keep my Athletic subscription as a result

Yup. Sheldon was never a fan of the club though? and it always felt like he just saw us as a step on the career ladder tbh. He also rarely offered much in the way of tactical insight (unlike Anka before) and I didn't like how he publicised our 2nd half "rest break" strategy for his own gains. It also felt like a lot of his articles read like a rewrites of whatever new thread was going on saintsweb - Most notably the "how good is our squad" one that he published shortly after the matching thread appeared on here. He did do some good interviews with past players though, as well as being relatively on board with transfer dealings - so credit for that.

Edited by Saint86

11 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

He’s already miles better than Dan Sheldon imo, who rarely told me anything I didn’t know. Might even keep my Athletic subscription as a result

Exactly. I didn't like being that harsh on Dan, as we all have jobs...but that's exactly how I felt, he'd put up a massive article about Ings leaving for example which just tells us Ings has left. Just with lots of words.

There's much more in-depth knowledge of the player and tactical skewes in the few articles I've seen from Jacob, which tell us all something a bit new (which was the selling point for the athletic at the end of the day)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

The hatred for Sheldon is hilarious.

no real difference what do ever. Just obvious bias from crazy fans

• Confused 1

It’s nice to have a Saints fan covering us and a journalist that goes deep into the tactical aspects to give us more that the usual stuff from elsewhere.

Dan was good enough but didn’t delve into tactical aspects the same way Carl and Jacob do. Always found it interesting that Dan, who came from Portsmouth, just happened to not support any team… guess there’s not much worth supporting round there? 😉😇

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update for all Carl Anka super fans.

He's in the Beano this week (his mate Marcus Rashford is celebrity guest editor). They've turned Carl into a character with his own strip.

This kind of thing never happened to Graham Hiley.

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/07/2022 at 11:18, goodymatt said:

It’s nice to have a Saints fan covering us and a journalist that goes deep into the tactical aspects to give us more that the usual stuff from elsewhere.

Dan was good enough but didn’t delve into tactical aspects the same way Carl and Jacob do. Always found it interesting that Dan, who came from Portsmouth, just happened to not support any team… guess there’s not much worth supporting round there? 😉😇

Was DS a pompey fan??? I guess that would make some sense retrospectively - i always felt he had no real passion for writing about the club, and he also published a couple of less favourable articles (not least when he wrote about us feigning injuries for tactical / recharge breaks). But he also had a tough act to follow (in Anka), as I think he is a quality sports journalist. At any rate, I've really enjoyed Jacobs writing since he took over from Dan - there has been some very good reads from him lately, in particular some tactical breakdowns on individual players and a couple of good interviews/pieces on club strategy. The Echo has also stepped up its coverage as well, although not to the same level.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Was DS a pompey fan??? I guess that would make some sense retrospectively - i always felt he had no real passion for writing about the club, and he also published a couple of less favourable articles (not least when he wrote about us feigning injuries for tactical / recharge breaks). But he also had a tough act to follow (in Anka), as I think he is a quality sports journalist. At any rate, I've really enjoyed Jacobs writing since he took over from Dan - there has been some very good reads from him lately, in particular some tactical breakdowns on individual players and a couple of good interviews/pieces on club strategy. The Echo has also stepped up its coverage as well, although not to the same level.

Surely we just want honest articles and if that includes negativity then as long as it is true then I want to know it. 

• Like 2

On 17/08/2022 at 17:11, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Surely we just want honest articles and if that includes negativity then as long as it is true then I want to know it. 

Yeah, there's a strong argument for this, but I wholeheartedly agree with @Saint86 that Jacob's output has been considerably better than Dan's.

As a former journalist myself (tho not sports) I honestly always felt Dan was quite limited. I've worked with journos like him before - they certainly get the job done, but they really have to be pushed to go that extra mile. Whereas Jacob's the sort of journalist I could only have aspired to be. Thoughtful, thorough, clearly puts in the footwork and a very sound writer to boot. He's worth the price of entry to The Athletic alone imo.

• Like 6

On 16/08/2022 at 16:21, SuperSAINT said:

I delayed listening to this as I had a preconception of what it would be. I listened in the end & I wasn't surprised. 

The same usual garbage from the media about the clubs philosophy etc. The same media who batter (rightly) United for having no structure, plan or common sense.

I have twigged that the structure that wins plaudits is to spend loads of money and hopefully win (surprise, surprise) 

Anything that deviates from that is viewed with cynicism. Meanwhile they throw their toys out the pram when the "top clubs" threaten to leave the league.

All really really odious .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 31/08/2022 at 08:18, SuperSAINT said:

The last linked article feels like a bit of a blast from the past now - that was the last game where Ralph had what resembled a fully fit squad. Could have been so different last year, particulary if we'd signed some bloody attacking competence in the summer. Main thing now is that we get back ASAP with minimal collateral damage. 

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

And he's off. Gutted, both for us and for him because who on earth would want to cover Villa professionally? Massively tedious club, I've always thought.

Doesn’t the Athletic model mean they get more money due to engagement/subscriptions based on the clubs they report on ?

If so it’s understandable that we’ve lost both Jacob and Carl

I imagine that means Alfie will step up from the Echo then

48 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Doesn’t the Athletic model mean they get more money due to engagement/subscriptions based on the clubs they report on ?

If so it’s understandable that we’ve lost both Jacob and Carl

I imagine that means Alfie will step up from the Echo then

I agree with Le Trimmier. This feels like more a case of them considering that a second tier club is too small to have a designated reporter. When Sheldon left, there was a big song and dance about the handover to jacob - that hasn't been the case this time. Will wait to see what happens, but on the basis that they think a club's division (not its fanbase) merits dropping them i'm not very impressed. Pretty silly if that is the case by them as well given their business model is a subscription based service and i'll be cancelling mine if there is no coverage...

Alfie house is actually the best saints reporter out there at the moment, so quite happy to switch my attention to the echo if the Athletic don't consider us worthy of reporting on.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Le Timmier said:

Maybe we don’t get our own assigned reporter now we’re Championship? 

This is likely. Seen a few other fans of PL teams say the lack of specific club reporting has been noticeable even for them so I think it’s a wider restructuring. 

4 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

And he's off. Gutted, both for us and for him because who on earth would want to cover Villa professionally? Massively tedious club, I've always thought.

We get through Athletic reporters as much as we do managers.

00A47203-0106-42DD-9DB5-DF2208052990.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the heads up. Cancelled my subscription, even though I was only paying £1 a month. Seems pointless without a dedicated club reporter.

Luckily I have all the amazing fans on Twitter to keep me updated with the latest news and rumours from Southampton FC

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Le Timmier said:

Maybe we don’t get our own assigned reporter now we’re Championship? 

I'm pretty sure Adam Leventhal is still the dedicated reporter for Watford.

Maybe we will get a replacement and is a case of Jacob impressing his superiors over the last year and an opening for the Villa reporter came up.

Since the echo appointed Alfie House how would any of you who read both the Echo & Athletic compare the content provided?  Seems the echo have copied the Athletics approach and done a good job, but I don't read the athletic so may be wrong