Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

we are massively lightweight up top.  The ball is coming back way too frequently/easy

Much like last season though, the service up there has been shite. Practically non-existent. 

we need some creativity in midfield, desperately. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Much like last season though, the service up there has been shite. Practically non-existent. 

we need some creativity in midfield, desperately. 

Said this for the last few weeks in the transfer thread, would rather we shelled out £20m on someone creative than someone up top.

Thoughts at half time.

Defensively OK. Nothing spectacular but looking a bit more solid. Need to cut out the silly mistakes.

Midfield and attack have been very poor. 

If Mara had held his run then we'd all be praising a perfect away performance. Improvement needed in the second half, Moi should be replaced by Armstrong.

I much prefer this system, it just makes our lack of quality out wide so apparent. Elyounoussi and Armstrong simply not good enough. 

Would've genuinely liked Redmond to be an option off the bench but we have Walcott instead. Definitely need to be bringing in somebody in this position if we're going to continue with two wide players.

• Like 1

Did alright, better than 5 at the back. Just waaaaaay too lightweight up top to be effective with the clear tactic of hitting the forwards early.

Still persisting with the ridiculous means of an attacking throw in.  I really hope Ralph leaves his jobs soon

Just now, Saint NL said:

BBC sport report is pretty damning

HALF-TIME

Leicester 0-0 Southampton

Pretty dire stuff.

Leicester have looked marginally the more dangerous, but the two keepers have had precious little to deal with.

Yeah, 0-0 away at half time is really really damning……ffs 🙄

• Like 2

Just now, Saint NL said:

BBC sport report is pretty damning

HALF-TIME

Leicester 0-0 Southampton

Pretty dire stuff.

Leicester have looked marginally the more dangerous, but the two keepers have had precious little to deal with.

Leicester Have definitely had most of the possession so thankful they haven't done anything with it..... Yet

Good game this, enjoyable to watch.

The new boys have all been decent, particularly ABK and Lavia, but Mara and Aribo have been impressive too. I'm also certain we'd be 1-0 down if McCarthy had played.

Moi and Armstrong have been poor, and Djenepo has been very hot-and-cold but I can't hold that against him really, he's not a LB.

I'd like to see Adams and Stu on at some point in the second half, but I think Ralph will be pretty pleased with that first half.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

HT.

Not great, but not truly terrible. At least we look more organised in defence and haven't been carved open, but I'm still concerned about Djenepo at LB. If we don't have a fit LB available and have to play someone out of position, surely we can find someone with  better defensive abilities than him, can't we?

Dunno what's going on with our forward play though. So many loose passes and cheap giveaways. I would swap Ely for Stu for 2nd half, as he will actually try and run at them instead of just giving it back to them.

0-0 h/t. So far so good, I guess, but a poor quality game.

It does make a huge difference for us to have mobile centre backs. Even if they are clumsy as fuck.

Nice "goal" from Mara - he's got some quality about him, although his hold up play is nowhere at present.

Nothing really to report from our "ball players". Prowse off the pace, Aribo not in the game, Elyounoussi being Elyounoussi.

I'd take a draw.

• Like 1

Co Commentator is kind saying that neither team did enough to get the lead. Leiciester were very dominant for the first 35 minutes. Lots of final third/ around and in the box clearances from us. But with Mara's effort we showed them that we could get them on the break. Although that was offside, the game shifted a little shortly afterwards. Saints were able to get forward a bit more.

With them a little deeper, Mara wasn;t likely to be sprung loose again, and it showed that we were lacking in ideas up front. But still better to be there, than the giving the ball away with hoofs like the opening half hour. But with us getting over the half way line for a change, we left some gaps for Leicester to use their own outlets. So we still had a bit of defending to do up until half time.

I imagine Ralph will be pleased with the outcome of the half, glossing over a lot of giving the ball away cheaply and plenty of deep defending. We might not get many chances here, but hopefully another Mara erffort, but onside, will be the difference today.

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Co Commentator is kind saying that neither team did enough to get the lead. Leiciester were very dominant for the first 35 minutes. Lots of final third/ around and in the box clearances from us. But with Mara's effort we showed them that we could get them on the break. Although that was offside, the game shifted a little shortly afterwards. Saints were able to get forward a bit more.

With them a little deeper, Mara wasn;t likely to be sprung loose again, and it showed that we were lacking in ideas up front. But still better to be there, than the giving the ball away with hoofs like the opening half hour. But with us getting over the half way line for a change, we left some gaps for Leicester to use their own outlets. So we still had a bit of defending to do up until half time.

I imagine Ralph will be pleased with the outcome of the half, glossing over a lot of giving the ball away cheaply and plenty of deep defending. We might not get many chances here, but hopefully another Mara erffort, but onside, will be the difference today.

Co commentator here in the USA is terrible!

• Like 4

Just now, washsaint said:

Couldn;t agree more.  She may have been a decent player but she is an absolutely awful commentator.

Carney? She used to be alright, but her lack of enthusiasm and insightful input recently makes me question whether her heart is really in it, she says things that make you wonder if she even watches any games besides those she's paid to.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic