Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

What choice do we really have? With the five subs rule, you need to have something on the bench to change things second half. Sure, we could have started with Stu but then if we needed to change things second half we’d have to do it with Moi, Walcott and Adams, which is a dreadful bench at this level.

Fair point to be fair. Fair enough. 

:)

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Djenepo LB as part of a back 5 is one thing but as part of a back 4?! Now that's brave. Especially against Perez who only plays well twice a year...Against us

Totally agree. Total gamble. Leicester will target djeppo all day long. I understand why Ralph has to work the 5. He hasn’t got the players available for his preferred system.

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm not usually one to moan and groan about the starting line up, but what did Elyounoussi do last week to warrant another starting berth? He was pretty much anonymous for 95% of the game Vs Leeds.

Think he got a lot of unwarranted stick last week, in the first half he was pretty much the only player I saw that was advancing the ball up pitch for us. Played the pass that would have put through Armstrong on goal before he was taken out and also played a cross field pass to the wing that led to our other good chance for Armstrong that was blocked in the box. There was at least one other time before that as well. All of this was basically ignored and then a poor cross and shot later that half made everyone pile on him as normal. He was admittedly pretty anonymous the second half until he was subbed but he's nowhere near as bad as people make out.

As for todays line-up, you can't say Ralph's not going for it. Hopefully the players are more comfortable in this formation and can carry on the momentum from the end of the last game. Be interesting to see how Mara does. Showed great promise in his cameo last week but sounded like that even surprised Ralph and he hadn't seen that sort of form in training. Hopefully he can keep it going!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Aside from Moi. Happy with that. 

You mean our third top goalscorer and third top assister from last season? 

I'm more excited with him starting and Mara and Armstrong up top, a lot of movement in the box there. 

We'll win today.

• Like 9

I'm very confused about the whole back 5 thing. Is it true that Ralph said players can't come in and automatically know how to play his 4-2-2-2 formation with the pressing triggers etc? 

Well if that's the case, how on earth is playing a completely DIFFERENT formation going to help them learn it? 

• Like 1

Just now, Saint_clark said:

I'm very confused about the whole back 5 thing. Is it true that Ralph said players can't come in and automatically know how to play his 4-2-2-2 formation with the pressing triggers etc? 

Well if that's the case, how on earth is playing a completely DIFFERENT formation going to help them learn it? 

Maybe he's playing a more conventional 4-3-3 than his "needs a bit of getting used to" 4-2-2-2 ?

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Fair points in defence of Moi there. Maybe I'll have to join the Saintsweb "glad I was proven wrong" gang today.... :)

If nothing else he's our only midfielder who has the knack of getting into the box and finding space, and he's a decent finisher when he does so. Inconsistent yes, but if he was banging in 10-15 goals from midfield with assists to match he wouldn't be with us anymore. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

You mean our third top goalscorer and third top assister from last season? 

I'm more excited with him starting and Mara and Armstrong up top, a lot of movement in the box there. 

We'll win today.

When you put it like that. Ha. 

Just now, Nolan said:

Brave but correct selection.

They're going to be attempting to get at Djenepo.

How we do is going to be based on keeping position in their half.

Could be a high scoring game.

Yep, need to attack mostly down our right as well so if we do give it away Djenepo isn't at risk of being instantly 1v2. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

If nothing else he's our only midfielder who has the knack of getting into the box and finding space, and he's a decent finisher when he does so. Inconsistent yes, but if he was banging in 10-15 goals from midfield with assists to match he wouldn't be with us anymore. 

Another fair point!

Anyway, I'll reserve final  judgement on the starting line up until we've had @DT's definitive and constructive verdict... ;) #woofwoof

5 minutes ago, The Juice said:

I see this differently to some people, for me, S.Armstrong is twice the player Moi is. 

I do sometimes ponder on why Stu has gone from our pretty much "first name on the team sheet" player to someone who almost seems like a bit part player now. All seemed to coincide with his bout of covid a year or so ago...? Or am I imagining that?

Edited by trousers

Moi is consistently one of our hardest working attacking players imo, so maybe part of his selection is to add some extra protection for Djenepo?

plus Stu Armstrong doesn’t seem to be able to be last full games at the tempo we play at so his bursting runs from the middle when they are tiring might be a game changer. 

24 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Totally agree. Total gamble. Leicester will target djeppo all day long. I understand why Ralph has to work the 5. He hasn’t got the players available for his preferred system.

He's had all summer to get a LB if he felt Small wasn't good enough

8 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Ely is playing ahead of Stu because of our left back.

He offers a slightly better defensive option than Armstrong IMO.

If we had a decent left back then Stu should be starting instead. 

Stu seems to have been on a decline since the start of last season I have to be honest. Maybe he just hasn't had a consistent run of games in that time but he's never controlled our attacking game the way he did his first couple of seasons here. 

Side note, I just Googled him and was surprised to realise he's been here since 2018 - this is his fifth season for us and he's got 119 premier League appearances. 

18 minutes ago, The Juice said:

I see this differently to some people, for me, S.Armstrong is twice the player Moi is. 

twice as shit you mean?

Edit: sorry ..didn't read this closely enough..thought you were talking about A. Armstrong. I agree with you regarding Stu... on his day one of our best players  

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts
Not being able to read very well

26 minutes ago, trousers said:

I do sometimes ponder on why Stu has gone from our pretty much "first name on the team sheet" player to someone who almost seems like a bit part player now. All seemed to coincide with his bout of covid a year or so ago...? Or am I imagining that?

Ive wondered the same - it seems like he hasn't been quite fit enough for a whole game/starting position since then. Maybe the club are sensibily managing something we're not aware of 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic