Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bazunu

KWP ABK Sali Moussa

Aribo Lavia JWP Diallo

AArmstrong Mara

😬

If that is the team I like it. 4-3-3 pretty much. When Djenepo has ventured forward, Salisu can cover left back and one of the CMs can cover in defence. Think tactically that could work well for us

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

If that is the team I like it. 4-3-3 pretty much. When Djenepo has ventured forward, Salisu can cover left back and one of the CMs can cover in defence. Think tactically that could work well for us

Yeah. We played a kind of hybrid in game 3/4/5 atb last season at times, Diallo seems to be able to slot in and cover which I’m guessing is why he’s in the team. Regardless of the team though, It’s not an easy place to go. Fans will moan if we go 3 or 4 atb so Ralph can’t win really 

Given Ralph’s comments I can’t see us deviating from three CBs at the back. I think we won’t be too far off the starting XI from last week. Hopefully Elmo out, Bednarek maybe dropped for Lyanco given the situation there.

If we went 4 at the back, we’d have to play Djenepo at LB and it would be a big weak spot which is the main reason I think we won’t do it. If it is a 4 though, it needs to be a very solid one, so:

Bazunu

KWP  - ABP  - Salisu - Djenepo

JWP - Lavia - Romeu

Aribo - S.Armstrong

Adams

It won’t be that though.

3 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Bazunu

JWP - Lavia - Romeu

Aribo - S.Armstrong

Adams

As Saint Garrett mentioned that Adams hasn't trained much this week, he'll probably be benched. And I know some will say crazy to take our best central player out of the midfield but I would think the circumstances would justify JWP switching to RB and KWP to LB if we want to go with a 4. Diallo is best in JWP's position and performed best in that role so could be our most reliable 4 across the back if we go with that.

It is far too early to expect too much from Hasenhüttl's hopefuls, they need time to settle to the pace and physicality of the PL and to gel together sufficiently to develop the automatism that we have seen occasionally in the past. The period up to the WC break will be mainly one of learning their trade and developing consistency as individual players. After the break with luck we will see the beginnings of a new more exciting era for Saints on the pitch as work concentrates more on formations and partnerships.

For now it will be business pretty much as usual with erratic team selections and substitutions interspersed with missed opportunities up front and calamitous lapses in concentration at the back. I cannot see us taking the world by storm just yet.

Leicester also have their problems with players leaving or unsettled by speculation. On balance though they have better quality than us in too many positions and they have home advantage so I'm going for 2-1 or even 3-1 to the Foxes.

21 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Given Ralph’s comments I can’t see us deviating from three CBs at the back. I think we won’t be too far off the starting XI from last week. Hopefully Elmo out, Bednarek maybe dropped for Lyanco given the situation there.

If we went 4 at the back, we’d have to play Djenepo at LB and it would be a big weak spot which is the main reason I think we won’t do it. If it is a 4 though, it needs to be a very solid one, so:

Bazunu

JWP - Lavia - Romeu

Aribo - S.Armstrong

Adams

It won’t be that though.

It ought to be.

This game today is definitely a winnable one. Hoping we can carry on from where we finished the last game. Carry that momentum forwards. I would like to see Ralph go back to a back four:

Bazunu 

Stephens  ABK  Salisu  KWP

Aribo  JWP  Lavia  Djenepo

Adams  Adam Armstrong 

Bring Stuart Armstrong on early in the second half. Then followed by Mara.

Or if we do keep three at the back - I like the idea of having Oriol in the middle of ABK and Salisu. We used that a few times last season and it worked out really well 

2-0 to us today Aribo and Prowsey to score - COYR :)

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think he’ll start five at the back again and revert to a four in the second half.

Leicester look very good going forward, defensively they’re poor.

Exactly, so why play our 3/5 where we leave massive gaps in behind as the 3 cbs aren't good enough and don't take responsibility in a 3,  stick to Salisu and ABK and get them to form a partnership , we give them space and Maddison will keep feeding the weasel 

11 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Exactly, so why play our 3/5 where we leave massive gaps in behind as the 3 cbs aren't good enough and don't take responsibility in a 3,  stick to Salisu and ABK and get them to form a partnership , we give them space and Maddison will keep feeding the weasel 

I can just see Ralph looking to keep us in the game first half and then take the game to Leicester in the second.

I hate five at the back but I’m very much 50/50 on what he’ll pick judging by his pre-match comments.

53 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I can just see Ralph looking to keep us in the game first half and then take the game to Leicester in the second.

I hate five at the back but I’m very much 50/50 on what he’ll pick judging by his pre-match comments.

3 CBs could work as long as he was picking 3 attacking players at the other end with the freedom to go at Leicester with the wingbacks, leaving the three CBs and Lavia to sit deep defending the break with JWP lingering for the long range shot. 

Trouble is he picks 3 at the back, one striker and one attacking midfielder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

This game today is definitely a winnable one. Hoping we can carry on from where we finished the last game. Carry that momentum forwards. I would like to see Ralph go back to a back four:

Bazunu 

Stephens  ABK  Salisu  KWP

Aribo  JWP  Lavia  Djenepo

Adams  Adam Armstrong 

Bring Stuart Armstrong on early in the second half. Then followed by Mara.

Or if we do keep three at the back - I like the idea of having Oriol in the middle of ABK and Salisu. We used that a few times last season and it worked out really well 

2-0 to us today Aribo and Prowsey to score - COYR :)

Edited by Midfield_General
I’m an idiot

Just now, LGTL said:

Not enough is being made of our utter farce of a pre season. Anyway, shame we have to start with 10 men but at least that’ll change with Ely is pulled 

To be fair, the 3/5 at the back lasted longer than I thought.  About 150 minutes into the season.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

After the end to last season, you’d prefer we hadn’t tried a different formation in pre-season to try and compensate for our defensive frailties?

I’d rather more bodies in our midfield, we’ve shown in the past under Ralph a 5 doesn’t suit us, as our defenders are mainly abysmal 

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'd have left Mara on the bench and had Adams as the central striker with Aribo and Armstrong either side of him.

I don't think Adams is 100% fit? (Or at least he had to miss several training sessions during the week?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

I'm not usually one to moan and groan about the starting line up, but what did Elyounoussi do last week to warrant another starting berth? He was pretty much anonymous for 95% of the game Vs Leeds.

What choice do we really have? With the five subs rule, you need to have something on the bench to change things second half. Sure, we could have started with Stu but then if we needed to change things second half we’d have to do it with Moi, Walcott and Adams, which is a dreadful bench at this level.

4 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Not enough is being made of our utter farce of a pre season. Anyway, shame we have to start with 10 men but at least that’ll change with Ely is pulled 

Depends whether he's replaced by Walcott!  Where's he suddenly sprung from?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic