Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

Leicester aren't the team they were for the last few seasons but still a decent outfit and will be a tough game. Their keeper looks a bit dodgy too.

Please Ralph, stick with the team that finished against Leeds and I will feel a bit more positive, don't revert back to Bedders in a back 3!

I'm going for 2-2

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester vs Saints - 20th Aug 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

I think back to my early years supporting football and when I became aware of Leicester really was probably '96 from playing CM. Claridge, Elliot, Izzet but the player synonymous with them for me is Heskey the battering ram. Decent side back then. 

Anyway Leicester away will be a tough game. A point would be nice. Leicester are going through uncertain times like us right now so it would be nice to prove their problems are worse than ours. However despite their problems they still have a very good side. I don't think Perez will score his usual hattrick against us but I think Vardy will be his usual dirty self (he dived yesterday and VAR spotted it... didn't even get booked). From the MOTD highlights their keeper Ward flapped at a few things (he did also make saves) so getting balls into the box will be key.

Play like the last 20 minutes yesterday and we have a chance. Please can we not play Valery, Bednarek or Elyounoussi.

I will be positive for this one and say 1-1. Depends on the line up and formation. 

• Like 1

It could be quite an unsettling week for Leicester off the pitch. The pictures released y/day after the match showed Fofana waving and standing on his own looking at their fans, something brewing there.

Tiliemans is expected to leave as well, rumours are that Arsenal will push next week for that one. Impossible to say who they'll have in their 11 come Saturday.

We just need to go the way we finished the Leeds game, support the forwards with more attacking players close to them. Who knows, we may even have a new one by the time this game comes around.

• Like 1

Annoyed the fixture list has worked against me with this one because I like going to Leicester but we're away on holiday.

Wouldn't be surprised if we started the team that finished yesterday but maybe Stu Armstrong instead of Mara and use him as an impact sub from the bench.

Certainly our best chance of a win there since we beat them 2-1 with 10 men and Shane Long scored the winner.

I was at the Emirates yesterday with a Gooner mate.

Leicester are fast and dangerous down the wings intermittently, and Vardy is obviously a piece of work [didn't seem to get riled by the "your wife's a grass" chant..]

But little threat centrally, Tielemans looked distractible and Fofana was their best defender by a mile. Lose those 2 and they're beatable.

Much depends on the fall out from the discussion that MoTD showed between Selles and Ralph before our substitutions; RH didn't look happy at all- overruled by his own coaches? Didn't know what to do and embarrassed at being told?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

Much depends on the fall out from the discussion that MoTD showed between Selles and Ralph before our substitutions; RH didn't look happy at all- overruled by his own coaches? Didn't know what to do and embarrassed at being told?

I missed that but I did think that Ralph appeared dejected in his post match interview, body language and all that.    

• Like 1

Bazunu

KWP, ABK, Salisu, Perraud (or Djenepo if still not fit) 

JWP, Romeu, Lavia

Aribo, Adam A

Che

A 4321/433 variant with Adam Armstrong on the left wing? I think that is his best position and he had a good cameo when he came on yesterday.

Stuart Armstrong, Mara, Elyounoussi, Redmond should be the 4 subs to come on at some point. 

All 3 results are equal in probability I think, Leicester in somewhat disarray can be offset against Ralph's back 5 experiment so who knows for either team which side will turn up.

44 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

Didn't see that or any mention of it on MOTD re-run this morning. Heard it on the commentary yesterday (Jo Tessem).

47 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

I was at the Emirates yesterday with a Gooner mate.

Leicester are fast and dangerous down the wings intermittently, and Vardy is obviously a piece of work [didn't seem to get riled by the "your wife's a grass" chant..]

But little threat centrally, Tielemans looked distractible and Fofana was their best defender by a mile. Lose those 2 and they're beatable.

What fallout?? All it looked like to me was a tactical discussion between our coaching staff, something which wouldn't have happened last season. Ralph's got people he can trust, so big positive for me.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Bazunu

KWP, ABK, Salisu, Perraud (or Djenepo if still not fit) 

JWP, Romeu, Lavia

Aribo, Adam A

Che

A 4321/433 variant with Adam Armstrong on the left wing? I think that is his best position and he had a good cameo when he came on yesterday.

Stuart Armstrong, Mara, Elyounoussi, Redmond should be the 4 subs to come on at some point. 

All 3 results are equal in probability I think, Leicester in somewhat disarray can be offset against Ralph's back 5 experiment so who knows for either team which side will turn up.

Why Redmond, he wasn't even in the squad yesterday? and why only 4 subs? We should start with Stu and Joe, Adam A is a better impact sub. If Perraud starts (which would be harsh on Djenepo) then Djenepo def needs to be a sub, Adam, Mara, Moi, you're right its difficult to see another impact sub, unless we have a new striker by then.

8 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

What fallout?? All it looked like to me was a tactical discussion between our coaching staff, something which wouldn't have happened last season. Ralph's got people he can trust, so big positive for me.

That's basically what I meant- AFAIK its the first time in a competitive match for a long time that RH has been set straight [good thing!] but he didn't look very happy about it. But if the effect is formations that get the best out of our best players, then doesn't really matter how we get there. 

4 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

That's basically what I meant- AFAIK its the first time in a competitive match for a long time that RH has been set straight [good thing!] but he didn't look very happy about it. But if the effect is formations that get the best out of our best players, then doesn't really matter how we get there. 

We know how stubborn he is. Before Sports Republic took over Ralph had control over the majority of the club really. 

Now there is more of a structure in place and you'd imagine that the appointment of Selles was a club decision rather than a RH one.

The team structure was SO much better when we went into a 4222 yesterday, so Im really puzzled why Ralph made the 'difficult to learn' remarks during the fans forum. It ensures responsibility is taken on the pitch, the majority are used to it and we looked dangerous.

Leicester look in disarray but they are still dangerous, and Vardy will likely get his yearly goal against us

--------- Bazuno-----------------------
KWP - ABK - Salisu - Perraud (djenepo)
-----Lavia -- JWP ----------
S Armstrong ------Aribo----
-------Che ----Mara-------

Im really hoping Ralph learns from how yesterday ended and goes with this, special mention as well to Adam Armstrong that looked excellent yesterday and could certainly be a strong option from the bench

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

They're still a decent team. Will be tough. We've got to massively improve defensively to get anything here.

Well the back 5 has been a complete shambles and moving to a back 4 again basically means we're using the same tactics that have given us the worst defensive record in the league since Ralph took over. I don't have faith in the coaching to improve that defensive record so hopefully the likes of Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap and Lavia really are able to make a difference immediately in a formation the players actually seem to like and understand. On the plus side you'd hope Perraud would be back and judging by his reaction after being subbed yesterday Bednarek may find himself on the bench quite a bit more from now on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Why Redmond, he wasn't even in the squad yesterday? and why only 4 subs? We should start with Stu and Joe, Adam A is a better impact sub. If Perraud starts (which would be harsh on Djenepo) then Djenepo def needs to be a sub, Adam, Mara, Moi, you're right its difficult to see another impact sub, unless we have a new striker by then.

Only because he is an attacking alternative, and yeah I did wonder why he wasn't in the squad yesterday given in the presser Ralph said only Lyanco didn't train properly.

And I only named 4 as the 5th sub for me should be used depending on circumstances - if we are winning then I'd be happy for Stephens/Bednarek to be used etc purely depending on the situation, unfortunately I have no crystal ball! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Cant we postpone this and bring the man u game forward

No.... We need Man Utd to have a decent result before they face us, otherwise we all know what happens when an out-of-form / winless team pitches up at St. Mary's....

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

No.... We need Man Utd to have a decent result before they face us, otherwise we all know what happens when an out-of-form / winless team pitches up at St. Mary's....

They’ve got Liverpool next, so I wouldn’t worry about that 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Plus our home record against them since we got promoted has been crap.

Would any of us really be shocked if Ralph went with a back 3/5 again against Leicester? I fear he’s too stubborn to admit defeat with it, even if it’s so obvious to everyone that it doesn’t work 

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Would any of us really be shocked if Ralph went with a back 3/5 again against Leicester? I fear he’s too stubborn to admit defeat with it, even if it’s so obvious to everyone that it doesn’t work 

He'll almost certainly start with 3 at the back then change when we are chasing the game.

6 hours ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Well the back 5 has been a complete shambles and moving to a back 4 again basically means we're using the same tactics that have given us the worst defensive record in the league since Ralph took over. I don't have faith in the coaching to improve that defensive record so hopefully the likes of Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap and Lavia really are able to make a difference immediately in a formation the players actually seem to like and understand. On the plus side you'd hope Perraud would be back and judging by his reaction after being subbed yesterday Bednarek may find himself on the bench quite a bit more from now on.

Yeah, catch 22.

As we are so poor defensively, better to go with the formation that makes us somewhat decent in attack. They've conceded the same amount of goals we have so we can hurt them, may as well go for it.

Will be fun that's for sure.

Only seen the highlights but they looked pretty terrible and were lucky to get anywhere near Arsenal, one freak own goal and the second when Ramsdale completely messed up his set and let the ball go through his legs.

Add in expected departures of 2 of their most influential players and we have a chance.

Edited by The Cat
  • Like 1

Added interest in seeing how Ralph sets up the team - go 3 CB’s and Vardy & co will have a field day.  Go 4231 with Aribo and Mara supporting Che with a high press and we’ve got a chance of at least a point or even a win. Let the youngsters express themselves on the pitch and it’ll do wonders. Keep Bednarek on the bench.  So, either 2-0 or 1-2.

23 hours ago, CamberwellSaint said:

Going on the post match Solent interview Ralph seemed very much under pressure from the player mistrust story in the press last week, on top of that the section of the home crowd singing “sacked in the morning” at 0-2. Ralph always looks stern when listening, probably a language thing and concentration, plus not being use to getting useful information in the “heat of battle” when it’s all going wrong.

On 14/08/2022 at 10:35, The Cat said:

Certainly our best chance of a win there since we beat them 2-1 with 10 men and Shane Long scored the winner.

"Stick yer 9-0 up your a*s" :)

That was a great match to be at.

LIke The Cat, this would be one I would go to being down the road but also away this weekend. Hopefully this is the match where Vardy finally gets booked for diving.

Edited by CylonKing
Spelling

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

It's got to be 4 at the back.

If he really doesn't want to start djenepo at LB there are other first team options even without perraud. Stephens has played there before(if he's still at the club) or move JWP to RB& bring romeu into midfield.

Why would you weaken a strong midfield pairing to play another 2 players out of position ?

I'm not usually a vindictive person as I'm too long in the tooth to partake in petty squabbles but, I despise Brendan Rogers with a passion. His remarks about us when he was at Liverpool and his orgasmic response to our loss against Leicester riled me beyond comprehension. I so want us to absolutely thrash and humiliate the Foxes on Saturday to restore some of the balance. So, Ralph, please listen to a Saint of over sixty years and select a team that will not only humiliate Mr.Rogers but also show that we do have talent and when its properly adapted are as good as any other Prem Squad. COYS. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

I'm not usually a vindictive person as I'm too long in the tooth to partake in petty squabbles but, I despise Brendan Rodgers with a passion. His remarks about us when he was at Liverpool and his orgasmic response to our loss against Leicester riled me beyond comprehension. I so want us to absolutely thrash and humiliate the Foxes on Saturday to restore some of the balance. So, Ralph, please listen to a Saint of over sixty years and select a team that will not only humiliate Mr.Rodgers but also show that we do have talent and when its properly adapted are as good as any other Prem Squad. COYS. 

Likewise, can't stand the smarmy self-satisfied prick.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic