Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

1 hour ago, DT said:

More motivational master class utterances  from Ralph 

Hasenhuttl: “In the moment, I don’t feel that we are a club on this [Leicester’s] level. We are still not 100% sure on what position or level we are.” #saintsfc

Or, perhaps, it's just words for a press conference, that he doesn't really believe himself, and he's quietly geeing up the team with a real motivational masterclass behind closed doors. We'll see... 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Piran said:

Or, perhaps, it's just words for a press conference, that he doesn't really believe himself, and he's quietly geeing up the team with a real motivational masterclass behind closed doors. We'll see... 

He's is such a complex and clever man, with so many layers of in-depth and innovative thinking

55 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The manner that he says it though makes it appear to be quite defeatist and small-time. I don't like the mentality just as I didn't like it at the fans forum. 

He's the same about our available funds, as if excusing his own performance as a manager. How could anyone compete, he appears to be saying. It's impossible. This must not be hugely motivational for the players. Delaying his replacement is only delaying it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DT said:

More motivational master class utterances  from Ralph 

Hasenhuttl: “In the moment, I don’t feel that we are a club on this [Leicester’s] level. We are still not 100% sure on what position or level we are.” #saintsfc

well we don't know how well the youngsters are going to perform 😂

People would've pissed themselves if he said we're better than Leicester, their team is much better than ours. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WestMidSaint said:

Has anyone received their tickets yet? I'm still waiting

I have not, which is quite worrying, as I am heading to Leicester tomorrow, as there are no trains running on Saturday.

If they do not arrive in the morning, I guess I will have to give them a call and t see what they advise they do

More small club references just like Semmens at the forum, what does that say to the players and possible new players, ' come and sign for us, we're not very good but you will get game time and get a decent move in 18mths ' pissed off with both of them,  soon as SR restructure the better

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I have not, which is quite worrying, as I am heading to Leicester tomorrow, as there are no trains running on Saturday.

If they do not arrive in the morning, I guess I will have to give them a call and t see what they advise they do

They will just put you on the duplicate list and you'll need to collect them from the Leicester ticket office before the game on Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

More small club references just like Semmens at the forum, what does that say to the players and possible new players, ' come and sign for us, we're not very good but you will get game time and get a decent move in 18mths ' pissed off with both of them,  soon as SR restructure the better

I hate to break it to you but potential new players are not watching Ralph's pre match press conference or the fans forum.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Happy we have realistic managerial team  not indulging Boris type fantasies

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

And we were quite good back then too

Our mentality was that we aspired to be the best. I don't get those vibes from the club hierarchy or the manager at the moment. I understand that our model is based on selling, but I'd still like to see us talking the club up and suggesting that if we get things right we can do really well in this league. Suggesting that we aren't really at Leicester's level- even if accurate - is not what fans want to hear. 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Our mentality was that we aspired to be the best. I don't get those vibes from the club hierarchy or the manager at the moment. I understand that our model is based on selling, but I'd still like to see us talking the club up and suggesting that if we get things right we can do really well in this league. Suggesting that we aren't really at Leicester's level- even if accurate - is not what fans want to hear. 

Spot on.

55 minutes ago, Anthony said:

They’ll put you on a list and you collect them from the ticket office there. Easy enough 

Tough one for Ralph with Perraud out. No legitimate LB so hard to see him trusting Djenepo in a back 4 away from home, which probably means 3 CBs again.

Of course most will moan, but he isnt exactly blessed with a huge amount of options and would get slaughtered if he did play MD in a 4 and he has a poor game.

Just now, Dusic said:

Tough one for Ralph with Perraud out. No legitimate LB so hard to see him trusting Djenepo in a back 4 away from home, which probably means 3 CBs again.

Of course most will moan, but he isnt exactly blessed with a huge amount of options and would get slaughtered if he did play MD in a 4 and he has a poor game.

JwP at RB with KwP at LB

Job done

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

We've never "aspired to be the best". We've probably aspired to be the best we can and no doubt we still do. 

I don't see your issue with the manager saying that we're not quite at Leicester's level yet. We're not. Ralph ain't here to massage fans egos, which is essentially what you're asking him to do. 

• Like 2

Some people will grab any stick they can to beat Ralph with.

Despite what difficulties they may be in right now (not made any signings and likely to lose Fofana imminently), there is simply no disputing that Leicester have been on a different level from us in recent seasons. 

Ralph is just pointing out that we are the underdog in this match, because it's true. I have no problem with that because we often tend to play better when we are expected to lose.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I'll be furious if he carries on with the 5 at the back garbage. 

Whats your alternative? I wouldn't be letting Djenepo play in a back 4 personally, and wouldn't want Valery at RB either. Possible that Stephens could play there but he'd get roasted at LB probably.

Until Perraud is fit or we manage to sign a better replacement that will be happy not playing from October onwards, I wouldn't expect us to play a 4 atb...

This is going to be one of those performance that gives us hope.A deserved win that will cheer us all up. Might we,l have to revise after first 10 mins but think we might click and follow on from last 20 of Leeds game.

It's a tricky one isn't it. I don't think we look particularly comfortable in a 3 at the back, and it creates too much space in the flank areas.

But by the same token I wouldn't want Moussa in at left back in a flat back 4, equally I wouldn't want to shoe-horn JWP in at RB and KWP at left back in a flat back 4.

This is why I find it absurd that we are apparently not looking for full back cover anymore. This sort of situation surely tells us how critical it is to have full backs, as we're kind of wedded to a formation with square pegs until we have players available.

12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Whats your alternative? I wouldn't be letting Djenepo play in a back 4 personally, and wouldn't want Valery at RB either. Possible that Stephens could play there but he'd get roasted at LB probably.

Until Perraud is fit or we manage to sign a better replacement that will be happy not playing from October onwards, I wouldn't expect us to play a 4 atb...

Yep. We haven't got a fit back 4 so we can't play one. It'll be a five.

On to the game, I feel confident. There'll be goals at both ends. 2-2, or 3-2 Saints.

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd play Valery at right back.

If we sign a decent left back, he could easily be first choice for the next few years. Perraud ain't all that. 

Or are we looking for right back cover? If so, is livramento going to be fit by boxing day?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

KwP at LB and JwP at RB

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

KwP at LB and JwP at RB

Why would you take our best midfielder out of midfield? DIallo would be a better option at RB rather than messing about with our midfield and having to move KWP. Too much disruption IMO.

Regardless, it will be 3 at the back with Moussa at LWB. He's done a decent job there.

Valery isn't a RB anymore, Stephens and Bednarek are a liability there, moving JWP out of midfield is a bad decision. We just need to hope Perraud is back fit soon.

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Why would you take our best midfielder out of midfield? DIallo would be a better option at RB rather than messing about with our midfield and having to move KWP. Too much disruption IMO.

Regardless, it will be 3 at the back with Moussa at LWB. He's done a decent job there.

Valery isn't a RB anymore, Stephens and Bednarek are a liability there, moving JWP out of midfield is a bad decision. We just need to hope Perraud is back fit soon.

Then we will likely see another 3 at the back perforamce

55 minutes ago, Chez said:

If we sign a decent left back, he could easily be first choice for the next few years. Perraud ain't all that. 

Or are we looking for right back cover? If so, is livramento going to be fit by boxing day?

Agreed on Valery, obviously not ideal but he'll do for one or two games until we hopefully sign some cover.

I'd rather 4222 with Valery at RB than continue with the horrible 3 at the back.

Also think we should be targeting a LB to compete with Perraud rather than another RB when we already have KWP and Tino.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I agree re Perraud, he's average imo and we could do better. The obvious solution is a decent LB to come in and keep KWP at RB and revert to a back 4.

I'm not sure about Valery though...on balance I'd prefer a 5 than Valery at RB, but it's very much the lesser of 2 evils. 

58 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'm with you on not disrupting the midfield. I don't want to see JWP moved back there to RB ever again. He did an excellent job against Zaha, no doubt about it, but his tactic of dropping off ten yards or so, preventing him ever beating him round the outside for pace (which he would, easily) is one that simply allows the winger loads of time to pick a cross. It didn't hurt us in that game, Zaha was always looking to beat him so fell into JWPs trap, but it could easily do so in another game.

I'd only play Valery to allow us to go to four at the back. But maybe 5 at the back, and playing deep, will stifle Vardey?

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I'm with you on not disrupting the midfield. I don't want to see JWP moved back there to RB ever again. He did an excellent job against Zaha, no doubt about it, but his tactic of dropping off ten yards or so, preventing him ever beating him round the outside for pace (which he would, easily) is one that simply allows the winger loads of time to pick a cross. It didn't hurt us in that game, Zaha was always looking to beat him so fell into JWPs trap, but it could easily do so in another game.

I'd only play Valery to allow us to go to four at the back. But maybe 5 at the back, and playing deep, will stifle Vardey?

Yep. JWP dropping off at RB causes all manner of issues. As you say, it gives their man space to use the ball, but it also means we drop deeper which creates all manner of issues including making us less compact meaning the press can't really happen.

JWP is our best midfielder. Play him in midfield.

1 minute ago, egg said:

I agree re Perraud, he's average imo and we could do better. The obvious solution is a decent LB to come in and keep KWP at RB and revert to a back 4.

I'm not sure about Valery though...on balance I'd prefer a 5 than Valery at RB, but it's very much the lesser of 2 evils. 

...and maybe 5 will work against Leicester? Vardey is still a menace and we need to prevent him and Maddison getting into spaces that hurt us. Maybe we try and hit them on the break rather than the other way around. Quite like the idea that we come on strong second half rather than fade like has been the case so often in recent years.

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

Play five at the back and I'm convinced we'll lose and barely lay a glove on them. It leaves us exposed and stifles our creativity. Having said that Ralph will likely revert to what hasn't worked before.

So what’s your team and formation then?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic