Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

54 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Why would you weaken a strong midfield pairing to play another 2 players out of position ?

I wouldn't, i'd play Djenepo but it's an option(if he's concerned about his defensive frailties) given JWP has always been solid defensively at RB & Romeu was one of best players in the first half of last season. It's much better to do that than to persist with crazy notion 3 at the back is of any use.

• Like 1

It's amusing reading the pre-match thread on FoxesTalk:

'I hate to say it but it's already a must-win game for us, even this early in the season'

'I just pray he ditches the 5 at the back nonsense - everyone can see it doesn't work with our players'

'If the manager loses this one I don't see how he can stay'

Sound familiar? 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Fofana kicking off saying Leicester are pricing him out of a move. It's his 'dream' to play for Chelsea as Drogba played for them, and Drogba was born in his hometown. Tenuous to say the least.

If only players were honest and said they were going for the money and Champions league fame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Fofana kicking off saying Leicester are pricing him out of a move. It's his 'dream' to play for Chelsea as Drogba played for them, and Drogba was born in his hometown. Tenuous to say the least.

If only players were honest and said they were going for the money and Champions league fame.

These players make me laugh.  If it was his 'dream' to play for Chelsea in particular, then his representatives should have insisted a clause in his contract to reflect this.

On 14/08/2022 at 16:57, Smirking_Saint said:

Don't manage any football clubs mate, you can probably delete the FM download too

Yes lad I'm sure Ur more than qualified to manage a club urslef 😂😂 absolute clown. What does Che do. 7 goals 3 assists last season. What's he doing cos clearly not getting us goals. 

• Confused 3

On 14/08/2022 at 19:27, Pamplemousse said:

Not sure if you're trolling but I'll bite - the equaliser all came about from when Che held it brilliant from a Bazunu long ball.

He did nothing all game. He's never a goal threat. Last season stats prove that. A striker bringing in 7 goals isnt a reliable striker. 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Jw03 said:

Yes lad I'm sure Ur more than qualified to manage a club urslef 😂😂 absolute clown. What does Che do. 7 goals 3 assists last season. What's he doing cos clearly not getting us goals. 

I smell wum.

4 posts, all throwing vitriol at Che.

Bazunu

KWP        ABK      Salisu     Perraud

Lavia       JWP

S Armstrong   Aribo    A Armstrong

Adams      

Cant see Ralph picking anything remotely close to this, but one can always hope. Leicester looked very shakey at the back in their first two so we need to get at them

1 hour ago, Jw03 said:

Im going to go ahead and put you down as a poor troll kiddo

Nobody is this dim surely 

4 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Bazunu

KWP        ABK      Salisu     Perraud

Lavia       JWP

S Armstrong   Aribo    A Armstrong

Adams      

Cant see Ralph picking anything remotely close to this, but one can always hope. Leicester looked very shakey at the back in their first two so we need to get at them

Do behave yourself Woody!

No way will he choose that team as he don’t want to conceded too many goals. I honestly think we need to start playing the style of football that if you score 3 we will score 4.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jw03 said:

He did nothing all game. He's never a goal threat. Last season stats prove that. A striker bringing in 7 goals isnt a reliable striker. 

More goals than Broja and lets say Edouard & Firmino also amongst others. Played 30 out of 38.

Still will be pissed if sold for peanuts.

11 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Wen he quoted ‘lad’ at end of sentence was the huge give away .. all the kiddies say that now ! 

I was thinking yet another ’character’ invented for more forum ‘fun’. But then again…the initials JW, isn’t there some weirdo book shop owner from Petersfield fitting that moniker?

Oh My God Wow GIF

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Does anyone know what pubs are decent for Saints fans before and after the game?

Most drink city centre because there aren't any pubs around the ground.

We always go to Prince of Punjab near the cricket ground because it's a pub that does amazing curry. Actually gutted I can't go on Saturday and mainly because of that.

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

Most drink city centre because there aren't any pubs around the ground.

We always go to Prince of Punjab near the cricket ground because it's a pub that does amazing curry. Actually gutted I can't go on Saturday and mainly because of that.

Counting house is always a good away pub near the ground

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anthony said:

Does anyone know what pubs are decent for Saints fans before and after the game?

I’ve stayed at the Holiday Inn next to the ground on several occasions for business and there’s a restaurant/bar next door, however I suspect it’s a home supporters drinking hole only?

Leicester fans seem in the same boat as many of us - they hate the 3 at the back that Rogers has adopted and think it leaves them vulnerable at the back while stifling their attacking play. Could be interesting when the team sheets come out and we all puzzle over respective formations.  Reckon if they do go 3 at the back and we revert to 4222 we have a good chance of turning them over. Still think it's more likely Ralph will start with 3 at the back.

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Leicester fans seem in the same boat as many of us - they hate the 3 at the back that Rogers has adopted and think it leaves them vulnerable at the back while stifling their attacking play. Could be interesting when the team sheets come out and we all puzzle over respective formations.  Reckon if they do go 3 at the back and we revert to 4222 we have a good chance of turning them over. Still think it's more likely Ralph will start with 3 at the back.

we'll start with 3 at the back, be very passive, lose the game.  People on here will excuse Ralph by suggesting we can't possibly compete

7 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

That's because it's not his team yet , wait till season 24/25 then if no signs of improvement maybe just maybe we should make a change 

Not a single person is saying that. This is however the first season that all the overpaid deadwood is gone and he has been allowed to invest and properly make it his squad. He has zero excuses here on out.

• Like 1

So he's been allowed to invest and properly make it his squad, but the same shit decisions still remain,  everyone could see AA can't play up top on his own, we can't play 3/5 at the back as our cbs are confused by the system and not taking personal responsibility for their man believing the other cbs are covering, he said can't play 4222 as it takes too long to get new players up to speed but we'll chuck in a relative inexperienced young back 5 (bar Bednarek) and hope they gell against 1 of the best front 3 in epl, the guy will not learn 

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

So he's been allowed to invest and properly make it his squad, but the same shit decisions still remain,  everyone could see AA can't play up top on his own, we can't play 3/5 at the back as our cbs are confused by the system and not taking personal responsibility for their man believing the other cbs are covering, he said can't play 4222 as it takes too long to get new players up to speed but we'll chuck in a relative inexperienced young back 5 (bar Bednarek) and hope they gell against 1 of the best front 3 in epl, the guy will not learn 

He talks round and round in circles never making any sense. Makes it up as he goes along. Whatever fits the narrative at the time.

I don't buy into the notion that this is now "Ralph's squad". His input is considered in the target identification process but, in the SR model as I understand it, that's a much broader process involving other people and lots of analytics. This is the Club's squad, and Ralph is expected to get the best out of it, which he hasn't been doing - even this year, already. It would be foolhardy in the extreme to build a squad around the wishes of a manager whose future is uncertain - either because he's underperforming or because of his stated intent to retire in a couple of years.

In fact, choosing not to start some of the new players, only for them to look good when/if they do get on, could be seen as inconsistent with the Club's goals. Defiant, even.

I think we now have a much-improved squad, and the pressure is firmly on Ralph to get it dovetailed and performing. Ralph has some major talents but he also has major weaknesses. It's a very good sign that the coaching staff (similarly recruited) include at least one person with the courage to take him on when it comes to tactics - or even replace him if he fails to deliver.

When it comes to the much-needed striker, the temptation is to consider them based on their standalone abilities. But the Club, I'm sure, is more concerned about how well they are likely to dovetail with those we plan to keep - Adams in or out?

• Like 2

On 14/08/2022 at 10:44, CamberwellSaint said:

Much depends on the fall out from the discussion that MoTD showed between Selles and Ralph before our substitutions; RH didn't look happy at all- overruled by his own coaches? Didn't know what to do and embarrassed at being told?

Fall out, overruled, embarrassed...and you got all this from the MOTD footage?

Maybe it was more along the lines of manager discusses changes with his team, listens to ideas, shares his own, he makes the decision, and then we get the reward for it. Isn't that what management is about?

Teamwork makes the dream work.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

In fact, choosing not to start some of the new players, only for them to look good when/if they do get on, could be seen as inconsistent with the Club's goals. Defiant, even.

Alternative analysis, given that as a top level club we have a whole fitness and conditioning department, that it was better to bring them on as subs - the ol' impact sub thing from years ago. Given the reservations many people expressed about players from Ligue1 and the Scottish league is this way of introducing them to a new club and a new league so radical? Ralph having a fit of pique; really?

Now many of us would prefer he introduced subs earlier, and not just these new players, but however it was done last Saturday had an impact. If only our defenders could defend aerial set pieces, and Bednarek be a bit more awake we might have got three points.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Perraud still out, could see him sticking with the 5atb for this one sadly. 

Reiterates the need for us to sign a FB. I refuse to believe the club are comfortable with only KWP, Djenepo and Valery as our fit & available options...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Perraud still out, could see him sticking with the 5atb for this one sadly. 

He's obviously suffered a setback then because he was fit enough to play from the bench against Spurs.

Hope it's not too bad, but even if he recovers quickly he's had little to no pre-season. We def need to bring in another FB as cover.

• Like 1

More motivational master class utterances  from Ralph 

Hasenhuttl: “In the moment, I don’t feel that we are a club on this [Leicester’s] level. We are still not 100% sure on what position or level we are.” #saintsfc

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

He's being honest. Would you rather he came out and said that Southampton are pushing for a top 6 place this season?

The manner that he says it though makes it appear to be quite defeatist and small-time. I don't like the mentality just as I didn't like it at the fans forum. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DT said:

More motivational master class utterances  from Ralph 

Hasenhuttl: “In the moment, I don’t feel that we are a club on this [Leicester’s] level. We are still not 100% sure on what position or level we are.” #saintsfc

He’s right, they’ve nearly qualified for the champions league on a number of occasions and won the FA cup. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic