January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Why would it make any difference if Marseille paid €2m over his release clause? Once we’ve agreed to meet the release clause then the club have to sell, it’s down to the player then, the fact his club are getting €2m more is irrelevant 

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Why would it make any difference if Marseille paid €2m over his release clause? Once we’ve agreed to meet the release clause then the club have to sale, it’s down to the player then, the fact his club are getting €2m more is irrelevant 

Not sure it works like that. It's more of an Ebay auction whereby you have to bid more than the starting price and the highest bidder still wins.

But, as you also point out, ultimately it comes down to the player. If we were the only club to meet the release clause, but he doesn't want to come, nobody can force him to sign.

Amazes me how everything seems to hang on what is on Twitter. Anyway, my predictions. No-one in. Hope I'm wrong but our January transfer dealings were effectively undone immediately before and after the WC because of the league position. Ralph got us there and NJ has yet to get us out. 

7 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Why would a club need to pay over the release clause? The player doesn’t get that money so not sure why it would be a factor

Didn't Walcott insist on us getting a fee from Arsenal or something like that? Sometimes players actually care about the clubs that took them out of obscurity.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not sure it works like that. It's more of an Ebay auction whereby you have to bid more than the starting price and the highest bidder still wins.

But, as you also point out, ultimately it comes down to the player. If we were the only club to meet the release clause, but he doesn't want to come, nobody can force him to sign.

No, anyone that bids above the release clause has to have their bid accepted.

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

Translation: 

We already told you about it on January 19th!
🔴 #SouthamptonFC pushes for Paul #Onuachu who has already agreed to join the #SaintsFC when he was less convinced at the start of #mercato . #KRCGenk wants 18M € .
Run against time.

Can't see it happening even if we do have until midnight (as it's an international signing)?

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Why would it make any difference if Marseille paid €2m over his release clause? Once we’ve agreed to meet the release clause then the club have to sell, it’s down to the player then, the fact his club are getting €2m more is irrelevant 

The release fee needs to be paid in full by offering 2M€ more they are hoping it can be paid in instalments maybe?

• Like 2

Just now, Saint_clark said:

No, anyone that bids above the release clause has to have their bid accepted.

So if we meet the release clause, and another club comes along and bids 2m higher, they have to accept our offer regardless? Seems odd. And I expect the terms would differ from contract to contract. I doubt there is a universal rule covering this.

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

So if we meet the release clause, and another club comes along and bids 2m higher, they have to accept our offer regardless? Seems odd. And I expect the terms would differ from contract to contract. I doubt there is a universal rule covering this.

Yes, it's a clause that benefits the player. It means clubs like saints are more likely to be able to sign bigger players because they know we won't price bigger clubs out of moving for them.

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I think that’s exactly how it works - that’s why Barcelona couldn’t stop Neymar leaving to PSG. Normally release clauses are set at ridiculously high levels for this reason, otherwise the club are completely powerless. My guess would be €30mil was seen as that whenever Vitinha signed his latest contract, given he’s only 22.

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I would love it if we got these two targets ahead of Everton. 

I haven't seen much of Sulemana to make me excited, but Onuachu gives me real Pelle vibes. Not just a good record to go along with his physicality, but experienced as well instead of a kid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Yes, it's a clause that benefits the player. It means clubs like saints are more likely to be able to sign bigger players because they know we won't price bigger clubs out of moving for them.

Just now, saintwbu said:

I think that’s exactly how it works - that’s why Barcelona couldn’t stop Neymar leaving to PSG. Normally release clauses are set at ridiculously high levels for this reason, otherwise the club are completely powerless. My guess would be €30mil was seen as that whenever Vitinha signed his latest contract, given he’s only 22.

OK fair enough.

But the power still rests with the player. The transfer will only happen if the player wants to join the club that has met the release fee. Vitinha obviously doesn't and wants to join Marseille instead.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It’s exactly how it works. It’s more of a eBay ‘buy it now’ rather than Auction. 

If a release clause is set at X, if you offer X then the player is free to agree terms with you. Little the selling club can do. 

Id expect Marseille have offer 2m more but in instalments rather than a lump sum, which the release fee needs to be paid at. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

OK fair enough.

But the power still rests with the player. The transfer will only happen if the player wants to join the club that has met the release fee. Vitinha obviously doesn't and wants to join Marseille instead.

Yeah absolutely, but that’s why it seems weird that anyone would be bidding above the release clause - once the clause is met, it’s then entirely down to the player whether he wants to move or not. The only reason I could think for this is mentioned above, maybe neither club wants to pay in full and therefore are willing to bid above the clause instead so they can pay it via instalments.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Why would a club need to pay over the release clause? The player doesn’t get that money so not sure why it would be a factor

so the buying club don't have to pay the 30m upfront if they go over the release fee that can pay over a few years