January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

40 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The only thing I would say about Onuacho is why the fuck are we leaving that until deadline day?

A bloody Genk player at 28. We should be able to table a decent bid to them and we can afford any salary he could expect. His chance to play Premier League and on top of that Rasmus knows him. Should be pretty straightforward.

We could have got that done on New Years Day, not Deadline day.

He’s been waiting for a bespoke update on Google Translate so he can understand Nathan Jones. 

Great so today has been a bit of a rollercoaster:

Dembele - Looked like a nice cheap, fairly risk free addition but seems like he has knocked us back in favour of waiting until the summer to look at his options (by which point, we most likely won't be one of them)

Onuachu - looked promising. Good goal scoring record, big and physical, just what we need if we could agree a fee with Genk but now the bin dippers (I'm really starting to detest them and how they seem to go for EVERY player we are apparently first linked with) are in for him. Bigger club, more known manager, more money for wages etc. I think I know who he would choose. You watch them get that new manager bounce with Dyche too.

Vitinha - Looks like another decent player. Not sure how the whole meeting the release clause thing would work as I can't see us forking out 30m Euros in one lump sum but even if we did manage to find the cash down the back of the sofa or structure it in a way his team would accept, between us and Brighton, a team in contention for a place in Europe and definitely won't get relegated this season as well as being in the last 16 of the FA Cup (I know we are too), wouldn't surprise me if they could/would offer more in wages, I'm pretty sure he'd likely opt for them.

That leave Andre bloody Ayew.

I'd love to know how many of these were genuinely interested in coming to Saints or whether their Agents have just been using us knowing that once a formal offer comes in from us, it is likely to drive all the other cockroaches out from under their rocks!

SR just needs to go balls deep with their contract offers on any of the top 3 and include a respectable relegation release clause which may appeal to these people but even then, if it were me, I'd be inclined to go with a Brighton offer of a few grand less a week to know I will still be paying prem football next year and possibly in Europe too and in the case of Onuachu, go with Everton who on paper, look to be a better bet at staying up than we do.

Being a Saints fan is tough!

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The exact same thing happened in the summer where we were heavily linked to players and got gazumped or it fell through. My expectations are very low after the last window so it's difficult to disappoint. 

We signed lots of players in summer and three more already in Janary. They were all linked to various other clubs but signed for us, whilst we were linked to many players who, as you say, signed for other clubs. It's bog standard transfer window stuff.

Lets suppose you're the owner, manager, DoF, head of recruitment etc. at Hypo FC. Just down the road, Everton want to sign promising Spanish striker Dave Bloggs. The first thing Dave Bloggs' agent does is tell a bunch of journalists that Hypo FC are interested in him, to try and pressure Everton into a better deal. All the fans of Hypo FC get excited and then sure enough Dave Bloggs signs for Everton. Now you're public enemy number one in Hypo-Ville; the useless DoF who let another transfer target slip away to one of your rivals, when in reality you've never even spoken to the bloke or his agent. You're being called useless because of some twitter rumours about a player you never cared about signing for some other club.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We signed lots of players in summer and three more already in Janary. They were all linked to various other clubs but signed for us, whilst we were linked to many players who, as you say, signed for other clubs. It's bog standard transfer window stuff.

Lets suppose you're the owner, manager, DoF, head of recruitment etc. at Hypo FC. Just down the road, Everton want to sign promising Spanish striker Dave Bloggs. The first thing Dave Bloggs' agent does is tell a bunch of journalists that Hypo FC are interested in him, to try and pressure Everton into a better deal. All the fans of Hypo FC get excited and then sure enough Dave Bloggs signs for Everton. Now you're public enemy number one in Hypo-Ville; the useless DoF who let another transfer target slip away to one of your rivals, when in reality you've never even spoken to the bloke or his agent. You're being called useless because of some twitter rumours about a player you never cared about signing for some other club.

You were full of it last summer criticising posters for being unhappy about the lack of attacking signings. It now looks like it's going to the primary reason that we get relegated and you're still piping up with cute little analogies. Ive already said my expectations are low, I don't give a toss who we are linked with on twitter. All I know is we still haven't made an attacking signing and I don't have much confidence that we will sign someone beyond someone like Ayew. 

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Having Jones as manager is seriously going to weaken our hand in transfer deals

Maybe compared to Pep, but compared to most teams bet it is a long way down in relevance. 

Money

What league

European football

Maybe fame of club to lesser degree

These young overseas players won't care if its Dyche or Jones etc, what will matter is money, then money, then level they are playing at. 

Unfortunately we probably don't compare well for money, we can't offer European prospects, or high profile regular TV games that bigger clubs have, and we can't even guarantee staying up... So expect we lose before many even consider who manager is

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You were full of it last summer criticising posters for being unhappy about the lack of attacking signings

I never criticised anyone for being unhappy. You were adamant we hadn't signed a striker; we did, we signed Mara. He may be crap at this level right now but he is a striker.

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't give a toss who we are linked with on twitter.

You're pre-empting the signing of Ayew because it's the lamest possible option you've seen us linked with on twitter, whilst silmultaneously seizing upon any rumour linking one of our supposed targets to another club. I'd say you're taking Twitter pretty seriously.

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

All I know is we still haven't made an attacking signing

We've signed Orsic who, whilst not a striker, is certainly an attacking player and a very good one according to many people on here (can't really say I've seen much of him personally) and we still have time to sign a striker tomorrow. Three, possibly four, players is a very active January by anyone's standard, so let's see how they get on.

• Like 2

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I never criticised anyone for being unhappy. You were adamant we hadn't signed a striker; we did, we signed Mara. He may be crap at this level right now but he is a striker.

You're pre-empting the signing of Ayew because it's the lamest possible option you've seen us linked with on twitter, whilst silmultaneously seizing upon any rumour linking one of our supposed targets to another club. I'd say you're taking Twitter pretty seriously.

We've signed Orsic who, whilst not a striker, is certainly an attacking player and a very good one according to many people on here (can't really say I've seen much of him personally) and we still have time to sign a striker tomorrow. Three, possibly four, players is a very active January by anyone's standard, so let's see how they get on.

OK mate I'll leave you to it applauding the club for their excellent January window. Maybe you can give them another 9 or 10 whilst we get relegated. Clown world. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Mara is crap, and Orsic is the new Neil McCann.

HTH.

10 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

So we shouldn't make other signings and save all the money to buy a striker who doesn't exist?

What do you mean buy a striker that doesn’t exist???there’s tons of strikers out there.. don’t be fooled by the clubs lack of ability to seal a deal.

we are in the shit it’s not about players who will want to join or not,we have to make that happen by paying the price the club are happy to sell at,and paying wages high enough and maybe better then our competition to seal the fucking deals. It’s  not rocket science pay the price they will come..

Unless we change this and stop our we won’t be held to ransom ways we will continue to get gazumped by every other club in the league 

over to you sports republic get one of these Vitinha dembele onuahu types and we may have a shot it’s that or relegation 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

Mara is crap, and Orsic is the new Neil McCann.

HTH.

I've got no idea what Orisic is like but I do know what Mara is like and every person knows that he was a squad signing signed as one for the future to add to the squad. In no way was it acceptable to sign him in the summer and pretend that that was sufficient. He wasn't signed as a startibg forward for the team. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

What do you mean buy a striker that doesn’t exist???there’s tons of strikers out there.. don’t be fooled by the clubs lack of ability to seal a deal.

we are in the shit it’s not about players who will want to join or not we have to make that happen by paying the price the club are happy to sell at and paying wages high enough and maybe better then our competition to seal the fucking deals it’s not rocket science pay the price they come..

Unless we change this and stop our we won’t be held to ransom ways we will continue to get gazumped by every other club in the league 

over to you sports republic get one of these Vitinha dembele onuahu types and we may have a shot it’s that or relegation 

Wasn't there a stat a little while ago about how we pay the lowest amoibt in agents fees in the prem? 

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

who were the two players the club said they had agreed deals but both feel apart at the end of the window. Both high profile signings that would have improved us. Who were these players?

Rumours are we agreed fees for Gakpo and Ramos, but didn't agree personal terms with either. Suspect we're about to see the same happen with Vitinha. In fact, didn't Gakpo downplay the possibility that he was ever going to sign for us to the extent that he only mentioned Leeds having been in for him when he joined Liverpool?

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

OK mate I'll leave you to it applauding the club for their excellent January window. Maybe you can give them another 9 or 10 whilst we get relegated. Clown world. 

I’m not applauding anything. We’ll sign the players we can afford, who are willing to come to a team bottom of the league, from clubs who are willing to sell in January. I see no reason to be this rude and sarcastic about vacuous Twitter rumours regarding players we may never have even spoken to.

• Like 4

Agents playing it brilliantly to get the best deal for the clients they represent.

Saints bid XYZ and then it’s all over the internet. What a great way to alert other clubs to say come and get my player!

I personally think the reason we leave it so late is because the players we bid for know the options are limited with only a couple of days left.

• Like 1

so that’s everyone we’ve been linked to not coming. Wonder when our owners will twig that Jones and our league position aren’t very attractive. If only there had been opportunities to strengthen both better, earlier. Oh. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DT said:

so that’s everyone we’ve been linked to not coming. Wonder when our owners will twig that Jones and our league position aren’t very attractive. If only there had been opportunities to strengthen both better, earlier. Oh. 

Yup. I live in eternal hope that we magically sign two really promising goal-scorers by the deadline tomorrow and pull off a miracle Man City-esque performance tomorrow to make it to the Carabao Cup final. In reality, I think that's like throwing double zero at roulette twice in a row. Not sure what those odds are, some mathematician will tell us...but let's just say it's as close to zero as my little brain can process.

Still, as the dumber of the dumb says- "You're saying there's a chance!"

Edited by Vancouver Saint

Also. Why aren't we looking at the J-League. Celtic killing it with their Japanese imports. Brighton's Mitoma has already repaid his £2m (yes) fee ten times over. We've had nothing but great value from Yoshida and we know the culture of hard work and respect goes with rising talent/skill levels. Why can't we look further than bloody Lige 1 (or 2) and La liga? Scandinavian market with Rasmus's connections would be another obvious hunting ground you would have thought. Cannot believe we are headed into the final day of the transfer window with no striker signed already... mind-boggling.

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 3

I'm still hoping we are secretly in negotiations to sign the leading scorer from Argentina's Primera Division in 2022. I won't hold my breath! I also won't say his name in case someone from another club cottons on to the idea!

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
To get the name of Argentina's top flight correct!

9 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Fair play to Jacob Tanswell for this Exclusive. Personally think its out of order for the leeches of the news aggregating gossip twitter accounts who dont just "retweet" this stuff to not link to the original articles.

a 6 foot 7 striker would be a nice addition to the front line. Looks like he was at Midtylland for a long stretch while Ankersen was there so may be an achievable target.

• Like 1

I have to seriously wonder why we didn’t go for any of these in the summer when we were a more attractive proposition. 

all of these guys were mentioned on here as potential targets before I believe. Waiting to try and attract these guys until we are bottom of the league is a hysterical failure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

Fair play to Jacob Tanswell for this Exclusive. Personally think its out of order for the leeches of the news aggregating gossip twitter accounts who dont just "retweet" this stuff to not link to the original articles.

a 6 foot 7 striker would be a nice addition to the front line. Looks like he was at Midtylland for a long stretch while Ankersen was there so may be an achievable target.

Isn’t he off to Everton?

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

The premier league has become  the rattiest of unsustainable rat races. 🐀 

It's quite depressing really. Chelsea bidding £130million or whatever for a player. Agents, clubs and press whipping strangely obsessed people on social media into a frenzy about some players they had barely heard of a month ago being transferred.

Not sure what half of twitter will do once the transfer window shuts and some actual football gets in the way.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It's quite depressing really. Chelsea bidding £130million or whatever for a player. Agents, clubs and press whipping strangely obsessed people on social media into a frenzy about some players they had barely heard of a month ago being transferred.

Not sure what half of twitter will do once the transfer window shuts and some actual football gets in the way.

Back to trolling most likely.

4 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Also. Why aren't we looking at the J-League. Celtic killing it with their Japanese imports. Brighton's Mitoma has already repaid his £2m (yes) fee ten times over. We've had nothing but great value from Yoshida and we know the culture of hard work and respect goes with rising talent/skill levels. Why can't we look further than bloody Lige 1 (or 2) and La liga? Scandinavian market with Rasmus's connections would be another obvious hunting ground you would have thought. Cannot believe we are headed into the final day of the transfer window with no striker signed already... mind-boggling.

Ankersen likely banned from accessing Japanese websites, and he has as much football credibility as Les Dennis in Scandinavia.