January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I think the Brighton Athletic guy wouldn’t be saying they aren’t going for him if there was a chance they were. Apparently Ferguson injury was the reason they were looking but his injury isn’t as bad as first feared.

On a side note the PGMOL have admitted the obvious that Fabinho should have seen red. Ridiculous that VAR didn’t make the right call, horrible challenge and guilt all over Fabinho’s face - he was just waiting to be sent off.

The only person who said Brighton were interested in Vitinha was a random French Journalist for RMC Sport.

• Like 2

Just now, Nolan said:

The only person who said Brighton were interested in Vitinha was a random French Journalist for RMC Sport.

Secret Scout might have just jumped on that then? Can’t wait until this is over and we know if we have a goalscorer or not and therefore a chance of survival.

50 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I think, for the sake of my mental health, I should keep away from this thread for the rest of the day.

Very wise, and apart from a check here later on in the day (this board is at least quicker than the OS!) I've plenty of other things to do as I'm retired!

This board is actually a very small sub-set of Saints fans. I go and watch a dire offering at St. Marys and the last thing I want to do afterwards is to come on here where an even smaller sub-set of fans revel in negativity and make repetitive and sarcastic comments they think clever and insightful. It's often even more depressing than the football I've just watched.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

Fabrice Hawkins and also Secret Scout. It also said that we had moved onto Onuachu because of it. But based on reporting it seems we're still very interested in both

4 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Very wise, and apart from a check here later on in the day (this board is at least quicker than the OS!) I've plenty of other things to do as I'm retired!

This board is actually a very small sub-set of Saints fans. I go and watch a dire offering at St. Marys and the last thing I want to do afterwards is to come on here where an even smaller sub-set of fans revel in negativity and make repetitive and sarcastic comments they think clever and insightful. It's often even more depressing than the football I've just watched.

Thanks for that depressing comment

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

It’s not if you’re willing to invest properly in your squad. Brighton being a prime example. 

Years of poor recruitment, penny pinching and underinvestment have left us with under qualified staff (on and off the pitch).

we’re now seemingly willing to spend a bit of cash, but it’s too late. Destine for the drop there are 19 other PL clubs who are more attractive options than us. 

Ah yes, Brighton who have spent £55million whilst receiving £137million this season. 

Meanwhile we have spent £100million whilst receiving just £5.5million. 

Imagine the meltdown if we had £82million in transfer fees left unspent. 

Our issue isn't that we haven't invested enough over the years it's that what we've spent it on has been shit. Lemina, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Carillo, Boufal...all our biggest transfer fees amounting to circa £100million on those 5 players alone, and they did nothing to improve our standing in the premier league. They were all worse than the players they were replacing.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

You'd be better off not logging in at all. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Ah yes, Brighton who have spent £55million whilst receiving £137million this season. 

Our issue isn't that we haven't invested enough over the years it's that what we've spent it on has been shit. Lemina, Hoedt, Vestergaard, Carillo, Boufal...all our biggest transfer fees amounting to circa £100million on those 5 players alone, and they did nothing to improve our standing in the premier league. They were all worse than the players they were replacing.

100%, we didn’t take advantage with the right recruitment when we were at our highest point and it financially constrained us under a sustainable model and an owner with no funds access to put us in the position we are today. If SR (or any owner with willingness to invest) had only been involved in 2017.

Still think the food chain works itself out and Brighton will end up as Saints and Leicester have, back in the bottom half after rolling the recruitment dice one too many times.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Gimme Sulemena and Vitinha and we have a chance. Anyway. About to get on a flight to Newcastle, hopefully we’ve signed them both by the time we land. 

Safe trip, hope you come back with a massive smile on your face. Have a few extra beers for those of us who can't make it.

7 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

100%, we didn’t take advantage with the right recruitment when we were at our highest point and it financially constrained us under a sustainable model and an owner with no funds access to put us in the position we are today. If SR (or any owner with willingness to invest) had only been involved in 2017.

Still think the food chain works itself out and Brighton will end up as Saints and Leicester have, back in the bottom half after rolling the recruitment dice one too many times.

In the same transfer window we signed Vestergaard for somewhere between 20 and 25 million, Jonny Evans signed for Leicester for £3.5million. Now I know they'd won the league recently but were unlikely to do so again, and with the difference in those transfer fees I have no doubt we could offer higher wages. Evans would have been a much, much better signing. 

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Edouard is doing okay at Palace isn't he?

Are you Chris Sutton lol. I had a piece read out on BBC fantasy606 taking the rip out of him about telling us that Edouard would rip up the league, as he had done well at Celtic

Just now, OldNick said:

Are you Chris Sutton lol. I had a piece read out on BBC fantasy606 taking the rip out of him about telling us that Edouard would rip up the league, as he had done well at Celtic

Bad wolf didn't say he was ripping the league up he said he was doing ok, which he is. He's a good lower half striker who could get into double figures in the right side.

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Bad wolf didn't say he was ripping the league up he said he was doing ok, which he is. He's a good lower half striker who could get into double figures in the right side.

No hes not, he can hardly get into the Palace side. IMO he couldnt get into double figures for Arsenal or Man City. He is no better than Che, I would prefer Che myself

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

The million dollar question is whether Vitinha actually wants to come to Saints. All seems very quiet, none of the usual ‘player has agreed terms’ tweets.

I’m sure he’ll be on big money which turns a lot of players heads and will quite possibly have a performance bonus plus some form of relegation clause. 

I know I’d have 1 inserted if it were me. Saints are over a barrel getting gently lubed up. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Genuinely don't know why he would come here over Everton if that's the case. 

1. Everton is the worst run club in the league

2. Nathan Jones PowerPoint presentation 👌 (might not be as effective over Microsoft Teams)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

And when we bought or showed interest in them, I would love to see the posts of excitement on here. Only after a while did it become evident they were poor. This is the problem, a player from far away who has a bit of mystique looks great. It is tough going out to buy untested players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not a chance we’re spunking £50m on him and Vitinha.

One must have blown us out so we’re focusing on the other.

Yeah that wouldn’t be very Saintsy at all. Especially with the high risk of relegation. Would be nice to see us go all out to survive but that’s not how we do.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

So Everton are interested in signing Che Adams, Paul Onuachu and Kalmadeen Sulemana.

Could be a case of we keep Che (obviously) and we each sign one of the other two today?

Tbf if I was Vitinha I would go to Brighton but it’s the hope that kills you!

Show the player's the Antony Gordon video with the Everton fans after we beat them should help us. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, OldNick said:

And when we bought or showed interest in them, I would love to see the posts of excitement on here. Only after a while did it become evident they were poor. This is the problem, a player from far away who has a bit of mystique looks great. It is tough going out to buy untested players.

But posters on here don't have the benefits of a premier league clubs scouting system. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

But posters on here don't have the benefits of a premier league clubs scouting system. 

Thank you, that is 100% correct and so perhaps the fans give the club some leeway when making kneejerk assessments of players. Iam with you on many things but not on the constant picking away at the clubs manager. We all need to remember he fails we all fail. The club will not sack him and so lets get on the rollercoaster and hope they do know better than us

• Like 3

I'm not getting my hopes up at all....but...Sulemana and Vitinha is EXACTLY what we need, more pace and ability on the flanks and across the front, and a proper number 9 with a physical presence in the Broja mould.

That would likely be a £50m+ outlay, which would be unheard of for us and it would take our total season spend to well over £100m.

It would be a very unusual day if we do this, part of me thinks it’s 1 or the other though. – and if I had a choice, it would be Vitinha as that’s what we need more of.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

I'm not getting my hopes up at all....but...Sulemana and Vitinha is EXACTLY what we need, more pace and ability on the flanks and across the front, and a proper number 9 with a physical presence in the Broja mould.

That would likely be a £50m+ outlay, which would be unheard of for us and it would take our total season spend to well over £100m.

It would be a very unusual day if we do this, part of me thinks it’s 1 or the other though. – and if I had a choice, it would be Vitinha as that’s what we need more of.

I reckon you’re getting your hopes up 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Appy said:

I reckon you’re getting your hopes up 

Nah, I'm fully primed for the ''We tried so hard, but couldn't do it in time'' article from the Athletic tomorrow. This does all feel a bit Gakpo-esqe if I'm honest, but something to follow for the day at least.