January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

9 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler said:

Similar to lawie signing keegan 😂 lock them in the office until they sign.

Think that might have been Ted Bates locking Terry Paine in the office until he signed.  Ted also signed Mick Channon on a Sunday (against the rules back then) and changed the date on the form.  My recollection is that Lawrie called Keegan initially on the pretext that he could get some parts from Germany for him.  Happy days.

Posted yesterday that I was glad we had seemingly missed out on Sulemana and were now targeting goal scorers (Dembele, Vitinha, Onuachu). We have too many non-scoring wide players and need those who can put it in the back of the net. However, it’s probably a case of Sulemana’s the best we can attract given our position.

From Athletic...

Southampton remain in talks to sign Genk striker Paul Onuachu.

The Premier League side are aware of the difficulties in completing the deal to sign the 28-year-old, with Genk not wanting to sell, but communication lines remain open between the two sides. No agreement has yet been found, but Southampton are pushing to complete another signing after finalising a move for Stade Rennais forward Kamaldeen Sulemana.

Southampton had a bid rejected for Onuachu last week but the striker is keen to move to the Premier League.

2 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Posted yesterday that I was glad we had seemingly missed out on Sulemana and were now targeting goal scorers (Dembele, Vitinha, Onuachu). We have too many non-scoring wide players and need those who can put it in the back of the net. However, it’s probably a case of Sulemana’s the best we can attract given our position.

Also possible that if the genk guy can see we've just signed someone with a half decent reputation it might make him think we might be worth joining. I'm a cup half full kinda guy.  :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hell of a lot of money. I hope he's good. 

Indeed..see this a huge risk if he doesn't end up being better than what we have already, although I suspect there'll be a release clause in there somewhere if were relegated.  Think the striker issue is even more imperative now, if ever that was possible.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Looking at his record I can't help feel this is a desperation transfer from saints.

I feel your trepidation as well, but if he does turn out well we all will be happy. Id still prefer the tried and tested at this stage, Ayew some mentioned but I thought he was another barn door misser

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I feel your trepidation as well, but if he does turn out well we all will be happy. Id still prefer the tried and tested at this stage, Ayew some mentioned but I thought he was another barn door misser

I would take Ayew - always seemed to score against us didn't he?

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

Agree with you. Signing is yet another gamble on a young largely unproven player.

Ayew - wasn't held in high regard at Swansea a few years ago (although might have been his brother, can't recall).

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Problem with the Onuachu deal is that Genk wont be letting him go unless they can get a replacement in.....with only 9 hours left of the window its not looking good

Mara going the other way on loan? Wouldn’t be the worst deal for the player / us…?

• Like 1

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

Problem with the Onuachu deal is that Genk wont be letting him go unless they can get a replacement in.....with only 9 hours left of the window its not looking good

Can only agree. Unless it's a case of them figuring this is their only time to cash in for a 28 year old.

I do really think we'll be done with Sulemana, and there'll be the typical "we tried to bring a striker in" speech alongside it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Mara going the other way on loan? Wouldn’t be the worst deal for the player / us…?

Cant see Mara agreeing to that, from PL to the Belgian league would be a big step back. Also think Marseille wanted him on loan - makes me think if we had've allowed that then we might have got Vitinha 😂

1 minute ago, HKsaint said:

So we spend a huge sum on a winger but are not willing to pay more for a striker we need?

What? We met the release clause for Vitinha which was €30m so theres definitely money there for a striker. We're obviously at the stage where we've missed one or two of our top targets and time is running out so we'll be exploring everything, loans included