January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

So we've supposedly waited until the final 24 hours of the window to activate Vitinha's release clause, only for him to choose Brighton? Why didn't we activate it earlier in the month? At least that would have given us a lot more time to pursue alternatives if he has opted to go elsewhere. 

Still waiting for these exciting announcements that Ankersen alluded to in his solent interview the other week, I suspect he meant more light shows.

41 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

The premier league has become  the rattiest of unsustainable rat races. 🐀 

It’s not if you’re willing to invest properly in your squad. Brighton being a prime example. 

Years of poor recruitment, penny pinching and underinvestment have left us with under qualified staff (on and off the pitch).

we’re now seemingly willing to spend a bit of cash, but it’s too late. Destine for the drop there are 19 other PL clubs who are more attractive options than us. 

• Like 1

So Everton are interested in signing Che Adams, Paul Onuachu and Kalmadeen Sulemana.

Could be a case of we keep Che (obviously) and we each sign one of the other two today?

Tbf if I was Vitinha I would go to Brighton but it’s the hope that kills you!

Just now, goodymatt said:

So Everton are interested in signing Che Adams, Paul Onuachu and Kalmadeen Sulemana.

Could be a case of we keep Che (obviously) and we each sign one of the other two today?

Tbf if I was Vitinha I would go to Brighton but it’s the hope that kills you!

Nowt wrong with hope, it's the expectation that does for you. I hope we'll sign someone decent, but I have zero expectation! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Everton even want Ayew 😂

They’re just as much a basket case as us. If they’re after someone, we should steer well clear. 

They’re only marginally more attractive than us atm because they have a manager capable of keeping them in the league. 

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

It’s not if you’re willing to invest properly in your squad. Brighton being a prime example. 

Years of poor recruitment, penny pinching and underinvestment have left us with under qualified staff (on and off the pitch).

we’re now seemingly willing to spend a bit of cash, but it’s too late. Destine for the drop there are 19 other PL clubs who are more attractive options than us. 

It’s not about investing “properly”. It can’t even be considered “ investing” at all if there is little chance of a  return on investment, it’s purely and simply gambling. I would rather be relegated than get involved in this madness. It can’t be long before there are some serious casualties.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Everton even want Ayew 😂

Couldn’t make it up could you?! Having said that, believing any of the media click bait rubbish today will be a waste of time. If we hear it on a credible source such as Sky or the club OS fine, but otherwise it’s not worth the Rennie! 🤣

• Like 1

So little Bournemouth spending big money to try and get out of trouble whilst we drag our heels. No one joins Bournemouth other than for big wages. Maybe it's not a good way to run a club in the long term particularly for a club of that size but at least the new owners putting money where their mouth is. Ok SR invested a fair amount in the summer window but they neglected the most important position that needed strengthening despite having reasonably strong hand to negotiate. Terrible situation they've got themselves in that will be the main reason why we get relegated 

10 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

A lot of serious bed wetting going on here.

At least give the club until the window SLAMS SHUT before going all Schwarzenegger on the guys at the top.

If we only end up with Ayew then we have the right to unleash the fury. 

You really don’t know how this works Ron, do you. After seasons of the same shit, I’d have thought all woulda clocked on by now. Seems most have. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Where do think the money was coming from in the past for more investment the club just did not have any and they did well to keep us in the PL

If Ings had signed another contract we would possible not be in the position we are now.

SR have invested heavily but in my opinion it would have been better to have done in gradual steps instead of gutting the squad and bringing in young and inexperience players .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

It’s not about investing “properly”. It can’t even be considered “ investing” at all if there is little chance of a  return on investment, it’s purely and simply gambling. I would rather be relegated than get involved in this madness. It can’t be long before there are some serious casualties.

The return is growing the club & keeping them a PL side.

Under SR model, it’s essential, as the ‘main club’ were a top flight team. 

Every business / investment is a gamble. 

1 minute ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

So little Bournemouth spending big money to try and get out of trouble whilst we drag our heels. No one joins Bournemouth other than for big wages. Maybe it's not a good way to run a club in the long term particularly for a club of that size but at least the new owners putting money where their mouth is. Ok SR invested a fair amount in the summer window but they neglected the most important position that needed strengthening despite having reasonably strong hand to negotiate. Terrible situation they've got themselves in that will be the main reason why we get relegated 

SR spent some cash in the summer without actually making us a better team, something that's almost impossible in football. They then downgraded our manager at great expense. They ain't shy to spend money to be fair to them, it's just that they buy a Dacia when there's an Audi on their shopping list. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

You really don’t know how this works Ron, do you. After seasons of the same shit, I’d have thought all woulda clocked on by now. Seems most have. 

Well yes, expectations are certainly low, but I'm going to give them until the end of the day to pull an Onuachu out of the hat before going mental 😃

• Like 1

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

I think, for the sake of my mental health, I should keep away from this thread for the rest of the day.

Ditto. I'm out of here. I'll check back later for news of the Keegan esque surprise signing. Or something. 

• Like 1

We will sign a striker - I suspect it will be Vitinha. I would also imagine the issue with the up-front fee could be managed by sticking in a generous relegation clause and sell on percentage alongside structured payments. 

Everton are linked to pretty much every player that any of the bottom six are supposed to be interested in. It's easy copy for the papers to print and require no actual work or genuine information. Dyche will want a particular type of player to join - he doesn't have a lot of those at Everton currently, so the only one of the signings that would make sense from their point of view would be Onuachu.

Vitinha - would be my preferred option but if Brighton are in its sadly a no-brainer to go there

Onuachu - in his prime and excellent record. Would massively help defending set plays too so can see why we want him. Question marks on whether he will step up to a much higher level and also if he is suited to playing up front on his own. Would we end up just aimlessly hoofing to him?

Sulemana - would be a great addition if we got one of the strikers as well. A little less so if just him but equally we don't really have a player of his profile so wouldn't say no.

Of these it seems Onuachu is by far the most attainable for us, even more so given Rasmus links. Probably the cheapest too.

However we are in prime "Southampton agreed a deal and the player was happy to make the move but <<<selling club>>> were unable to source a replacement so this is maybe one to revisit in the summer.>>> territory.

Also, its clear we will just be getting one of these at most. Just for the slightly more deluded amongst us.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

Not Saints related, but does anyone know how much Arsenal women have bid for Alessia Russo? Seen/heard various articles this morning that it is a world record bid, but no news outlet seems to be saying how much (though have said estimated £400,000 more than the previous record. For example, this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64460662

In comparison the same outlets happily saying about Chelsea £105m bid for Fernández. 

Genuinely intrigued what the difference is between the men and women's records, but not easy to find out (OK  OK, I could probably Google it pretty easily...).

42 minutes ago, egg said:

SR spent some cash in the summer without actually making us a better team, something that's almost impossible in football. They then downgraded our manager at great expense. They ain't shy to spend money to be fair to them, it's just that they buy a Dacia when there's an Audi on their shopping list. 

And for that Dacia they pay Audi Q prices!

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

What do they know about him that we don't ?

I think the Brighton Athletic guy wouldn’t be saying they aren’t going for him if there was a chance they were. Apparently Ferguson injury was the reason they were looking but his injury isn’t as bad as first feared.

On a side note the PGMOL have admitted the obvious that Fabinho should have seen red. Ridiculous that VAR didn’t make the right call, horrible challenge and guilt all over Fabinho’s face - he was just waiting to be sent off.