January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

When do we think this paragraph will be published? I'm going for 4pm tomorrow.

''Southampton were keen on Vitinha, and were prepared to break their transfer record to get their man, but whilst the player was keen it became apparent that there was simply not enough time to conclude a deal of such complexity and high value. Southampton head into the rest of the season with their current options and are understood to be relaxed and have belief in the talent already at the club. The club rejected several approaches for Che Adams and Sekou Mara this window which the club believe illustrates that they already have top quality options at their disposal, which meant adding better than those was always going to be incredibly difficult''.

*For context, I've made this up - but it's very believable!*

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 9
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

What rules are those? 

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-release-clauses-explained-football-chris-wood-newcastle-move-1399802

Payment up front isn’t necessarily mandatory. However, the selling club can refuse to sell if their terms of payment aren’t met, so yes, they can demand the money up front and be in the driving seat for negotiations.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Athletic now reporting we are in talks. Article also says we are interested in Dembele but that one would be for the summer as he wants to see the best options as a free agent after this season.

Couldn't we have just offered him a 6 month contract in that case, with option to extend if he wants to in the summer? Win win, surely? (i.e. we, in theory, get a better 'attempts vs goals' ratio for the rest of the season (for relatively little outlay) and he gets a shop window and the flexibility to still do what he wants in the summer)

Edited by trousers

Just now, trousers said:

Couldn't we have just offered him a 6 month contract in that case, with option to extend if he wants to in the summer? Win win, surely? (i.e. we, in theory, get a better attempts vs goals ratio  for the rest of the season and he gets a shop window and the flexibility to still do what he wants in the summer)

Expect us to be that imaginative? 

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Couldn't we have just offered him a 6 month contract in that case, with option to extend if he wants to in the summer? Win win, surely? (i.e. we, in theory, get a better attempts vs goals ratio for relatively little outlay for the rest of the season and he gets a shop window and the flexibility to still do what he wants in the summer)

Would be more sensible to do a loan, but I don't think Lyon wanted that. At the end of the day though I reckon the player isn't interested.

Just now, trousers said:

Couldn't we have just offered him a 6 month contract in that case, with option to extend if he wants to in the summer? Win win, surely? (i.e. we, in theory, get a better attempts vs goals ratio  for the rest of the season and he gets a shop window and the flexibility to still do what he wants in the summer)

That was my assumption that the deal would be exactly that. Effectively a 6 month loan for £3m or whatever the cost is. 

Logically thinking, assuming he would want to join, that makes sense. Even if we’re in for this Portuguese lad as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I doubt Dembele was interested either. I’ll actually be surprised if Vitinho is interested!

Wait until he finds out that he has two games max before hes written off by most of SWF....there's no mission he'll be interested

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Vitinha would be an insane signing, but I’m not expecting it to happen. Fully Expecting someone else to come in for him between now and EOP tomorrow and we end up signing Ayew on a free. 

Maybe we could get both.

Is Ayew better than Che?

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

Couldn't we have just offered him a 6 month contract in that case, with option to extend if he wants to in the summer? Win win, surely? (i.e. we, in theory, get a better 'attempts vs goals' ratio for the rest of the season (for relatively little outlay) and he gets a shop window and the flexibility to still do what he wants in the summer)

I reckon Lyon would be very happy to lose his wages until the end of the season. He just doesn't want to join us, maybe fail to score and fuck up the `image' of him being a top class striker that may secure him a big deal in the summer.  Far safer for him to sit on their bench. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Vitinha would be an insane signing, but I’m not expecting it to happen. Fully Expecting someone else to come in for him between now and EOP tomorrow and we end up signing Ayew on a free. 

Wonder if Che could be sold to Everton to fund the deal. The noises from the club suggest that wont happen, but he value will only go down from here.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Just saw that Chelsea are going to break the British transfer record on that Argentina fella, how are they able to do this? That's around £600m spent in 7 months. There are uneven playing fields and then there's that.

They are paying as mituch of it off, across the length of the contracts. Something the authorities have put a stop to from this summer. So Chelsea keen to get this one done before then.

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Wonder if we are after both Dembele and Vitinha. 

There's NO WAY we can afford both. This is just like recently I put my car on gumtree, and within an hour had 3 offers. When I went to accept the best one, the replay came back "sorry mate, I've put offers on a few cars tonight, which one was yours?" Needless to say, he didn't see his offer as binding. This will be just like that. Offer on multiple players and see who accepts our offer, then think about whether we want to pursue it.

Sadly we could end up with no-one, no-one but Theo.

Know nothing of Onuachu or Vitinha, but both seem a lot more exciting given their records than Jackson, who we were linked to the majority of the month and is seemingly a bullet dodged given the injury. The Rennes guy wasn't particularly exciting either. Bit disappointed to be rejected twice in 6 months by Dembele, though.

We're probably going to end up with Andre Ayew now though and that will make me Al Sadd.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Careful using the "insane signing" phrase. We all know what happened to the last guy who used it 😂