January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

41 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Is it me or are their a lot of players called Dembélé 🤷🏻‍♂️

Or is it just one geezer that moves clubs a lot. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

your not wrong!, so to clarify, is this a good Dembele, or a not so good one??

Just now, Pilchards said:

Think the biggest problem we have is we are bottom of the league, we offer probably the worst wages plus we have a twat of a manager.

Other than that I’m hopeful we can sign someone who’s fucking mad to join us.

🤣

Sad, but very true

15 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Edouard was the best thing since sliced bread doing well in Scotland, Dembele may be the same. So I would be a bit reserved in judgement

there was a lot of crying on here when we didn't sign Edouard. He's been pretty average, although perhaps better than Armstrong, who we went for instead. He seems like another that doesn't really do much other than score when the chance is too good to miss.

Dembele has scored goals for Lyon in France, but when he got a loan move to Athletico Madrid he wasn't a huge success and they sent him back with no interest in buying him. Is he good enough to make a mark in the Prem when playing for a struggling side like us? hope so.

Edited by Chez

26 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Tell that to Brighton , Hitoma 2.5m

But they bought him from the J-League where transfer fees are ridiculously low. The same is true of the K-League, which is why Japanese and Korean players are such bargains. We could get a great striker like Cho Gue-sung for a similar price if we wanted to.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

It was Cody Gakpo I believe....

The money was agreed but the player took advice and decided his WC chances would be better if he stayed where he was for the time being. Yet another non stick used to beat the club with.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

But they bought him from the J-League where transfer fees are ridiculously low. The same is true of the K-League, which is why Japanese and Korean players are such bargains. We could get a great striker like Cho Gue-sung for a similar price if we wanted to.

doesn't matter, the point is there are bargains out there, 

5 minutes ago, derry said:

At £3M there should be more available for another good player. Providing this goes through. I wouldn't mind betting this was our No1 all along. All the others were very iffy.

annoying if we have kept it quiet all along and then right at the business part it gets out! Although I suspect its just another finger in the air to see where the wind blows by pundits

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Demebele would be my ideal signing. I've not seen him play for about 5 years ago forgotten he existed but still think he's ideal.

Plus he's always been our number one choice.

You ought to sign up for membership on here as you seem to be a guru

1 hour ago, John B said:

Really

I doubt that it is unlikely that a person n his position would do that but of course some people on here would like to believe it

Any idea who alledgedly the player involved was

There are people on the forum who believe that Semmens is so powerful he pevented Gao from selling the club and recouping 200m until a buyer was found who would guarantee to keep Semmens as CEO. It's cobblers, as is the story about us losing Gakpo or Ramos - neither player was ever coming here. You use Saints as a stepping stone when you're trying to move from Willem II or Braga, not when you're already playing for PSV or Benfica.

• Like 1

Just now, verlaine1979 said:

There are people on the forum who believe that Semmens is so powerful he pevented Gao from selling the club and recouping 200m until a buyer was found who would guarantee to keep Semmens as CEO. It's cobblers, as is the story about us losing Gakpo or Ramos - neither player was ever coming here. You use Saints as a stepping stone when you're trying to move from Willem II or Braga, not when you're already playing for PSV or Benfica.

who were the two players the club said they had agreed deals but both feel apart at the end of the window. Both high profile signings that would have improved us. Who were these players?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think we need to hear that the player is happy to come first before getting hopes up. 

Exactly. On the face of it a player with a contract rapidly expiring would be much better advised to sit it out and have more of a pick rather than rushing to join the bottom of the PL club right at the end of the window.

If he does join, I reckon he would have an easily achieved get out clause if we go down, so perhaps on those terms it wouldnt be so stupid as at least would give him a shop window for a few months to attract PL offers.

• Like 2

I tell you what I find a little odd.. The usual suspects such as The Athletic and Alex Crook have been very quiet on this Dembele thing... Normally they all pipe up once the ball is rolling on a rumour. I'm probably getting my hopes up but could the club have briefed them to not leak the story / details to stop other clubs pushing the button on sanctioning a bid? Wishful thinking I'm sure but it certainly seems our bridges have been a little burnt this window with other clubs coming in late and gazumping us. Just a thought! 

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

A real link at least. I'd be very surprised if the player doesn't want to be a free agent in the Summer and get an absolute shit tonne of money, however.

:lol: already setting us up for the we tried really hard but line....

• Like 2

Why would a player in the last months of his contract commit to a club likely to be relegated?

A bid may have been accepted, but he should run his contract down for a better sign on fee as a free agent to a club not in the championship.

Obviously I’d love him to sign, but I can’t see it happening. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

A real link at least. I'd be very surprised if the player doesn't want to be a free agent in the Summer and get an absolute shit tonne of money, however.

He still can. It can be a 6 month loan with an option to buy. He can then make his choice in the summer

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, saintjimbo83 said:

Why would a player in the last months of his contract commit to a club likely to be relegated?

A bid may have been accepted, but he should run his contract down for a better sign on fee as a free agent to a club not in the championship.

Obviously I’d love him to sign, but I can’t see it happening. 

He's behind Lacazette now at Lyon so not getting much game time, he'll increase his earning power if he comes and does well for us (or someone else)

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

:lol: already setting us up for the we tried really hard but line....

Frankly I'm shocked you didn't pick up the hunger element of Blackmore's post. If there are doubts about how hungry he is, and at 26, no longer young and sure to improve, then how can he be the one for us?  

4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

He's behind Lacazette now at Lyon so not getting much game time, he'll increase his earning power if he comes and does well for us (or someone else)

My guess is if he has no motivation anymore, then Lyon would want shot. Maybe a loan just makes more sense to all parties?

6 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Give him a 6 month contract, a shed load of money and a chance to appear weekly in the EPL shop window. Who could refuse? 😬

Can't disagree with that whatsoever.

More minutes here than at Lyon which gives him a better chance of a big free agent move in the Summer. 

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

It can be a 6 month loan with an option to buy

Well there wouldn't be any option to buy as his contract over there would have finished so there is no one to buy from.  I guess it depends whether anyone in a much better league position comes in with a longer term deal that he thinks is worth taking or whether one of our rivals offers him a better 6 month deal. I can't see him wanting to be tied to any relegation struggler after the end of the season, even if they manage to stay up.

3 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Not a cats chance in hell Dembele will agree personal terms. Rejected us once and we are in a weaker position now. 

But possibly so is he... When he didn't want to come he was holding out for a better offer. He's not had many chances this season and finds himself now second choice. It might be in his interest to put himself in the shop window and increase his chances of a better move later on. And he's very unlikely to do that at Lyon

Edited by jayrivers

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Demebele would be my ideal signing. I've not seen him play for about 5 years ago forgotten he existed but still think he's ideal.

Plus he's always been our number one choice.

I've checked back through Turkish's post history (yes, I AM that sad) and can confirm that he was indeed extolling the virtues of Dembele on here over 15 years ago. #ideal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, redkeith said:

He has been free to talk to clubs outside of France about next season for the best part of a month. Maybe he didn't get the offers he was expecting.  6 months with us could be a way for him to get the move he thinks he deserves.

Exactly! I feel there is a reason why this has popped up late on in the window. As earlier on I agree wouldn't have had a chance. But it's a very different scenario now... Some deals have to be left until the last couple of days of a window. 

3 minutes ago, redkeith said:

He has been free to talk to clubs outside of France about next season for the best part of a month. Maybe he didn't get the offers he was expecting.  6 months with us could be a way for him to get the move he thinks he deserves.

Agreed.  Only way I can see him signing unfortunately 

Just now, trousers said:

I've checked back through Turkish's post history (yes, I AM that sad) and can confirm that he was indeed extolling the virtues of Dembele on here over 15 years ago. #ideal

if you could go back to the original network54 saintsforever days you'll find a post there where i copied the email recomendation i made to the club by sending an email to the tellrupert@saintsfc.co.uk address after watching him play in a an under 8 tournament whilst visiting friends in France.

• Haha 5