January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

13 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Bring on the Championship let's face it the Premiership isn't the same anymore boys.... the money being thrown around is stupid.... 

I am done with the premiership Var and the money side of things have ruined it.

It can’t be sustainable and when the bubble does eventually burst and the billionaires cut their losses and Fck off, there are going to be some big clubs going bust!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MAY-Z said:

And just looking through the top scorers this season, there are actually very few out and out strikers apart from a couple of stars, it’s all about goals from multiple sources and we only have 2 (Adams & JWP)

Two? What about Perraud - he’s not too shabby?!

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Just saying it isn't difficult doesn't make it so. Who would you have brought in?

So you think that's an unrealistic expectation for a club likes ours? Let's say by some miracle we manage to stay up, would it still be unrealistic in the next window? Or the one after that? 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think I agree with you. If we don't get anyone else in I think the club will have realised they can't get anyone in they would like and they don't consider the alternatives worth it. Effectively they will be accepting relegation which is fine but let's not have some bullshit pr from the club tomorrow please about being pleased with what we have etc etc. 

I guess they have brought three in. It's not as though they have done nothing. I didn't expect us to bring in more than that - I thought the owners might be very worried about spending more when things look so bleak. So, it has been positive, to a degree, but it's pretty obvious they have tried for Jackson, so a fourth signing in that crucial ara of the pitch was what they wanted, so if they don't get that guy, there has to be disappointment even if no one actually says it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrSuess1979 said:

I am done with the premiership Var and the money side of things have ruined it.

It can’t be sustainable and when the bubble does eventually burst and the billionaires cut their losses and Fck off, there are going to be some big clubs going bust!!

It will be the (inevitable) super league that will restore some form of normality.

I think if it was examined properly Sky had a lot to do with the backlash to it. They were on the edge of having the golden goose up and leave. Installed panic in the masses and it went away.

It will come back and it will happen. There is no shame or ethics in football, money talks. Qatar WC, Newcastle's blood money etc.

When the "big clubs" up and leave, interest from broadcasters will lessen, money will go down and a more even playing field will hopefully come to the forefront.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It is diffcult, but this isn't something that's struck us out of nowhere in the last 2 weeks. We've known for a year.

It’s difficult because we seem to get a nosebleed at the thought of paying over 20million or the thought of paying out decent wages like West Ham did ings.. I see they are going for ener Valencia now.

surely at this stage instead of buying 3 or four players like we seem to have tried for this window including Alcaraz and Orsic etc. wouldn’t you be better clubbing the money together for that one player (a striker ) then it is to be signing two players like hjulmand and sulemana? 

the board need to stop being little boys trying to play in a mens league and pay what it needs to get the striker if that means signing less players why not do that then ?

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 3

Not overly bothered if we miss out on Sulemana, same as I was with Jackson as we need a goalscorer. But given how much time/effort we've seemingly invested in trying to both over the line, only to back away is a big worry.

Could be all smoke and mirrors and we're close to securing better targets but I wouldnt hold my breath. Semmens and Ankersen should really be considering their positions if we fail to land a decent forward. Starting to remind me of United's transfer failures under Ed Woodward. Couldnt get the deals they wanted due to Woodward's lack of credibility in recruiting and terrible negotiating approach

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So you think that's an unrealistic expectation for a club likes ours? Let's say by some miracle we manage to stay up, would it still be unrealistic in the next window? Or the one after that? 

I think there's a shortage of goalscoring strikers at the moment and a lot of teams around us spending silly money. Leeds have just spend £35m on Rutter who has scored 2 goals this season. Bournemouth have signed Semenyo who scored 5 in the Championship. West Ham got Ings ahead of us and he's injured now anyway. Even Man U have settled for signing Weghorst. Chelsea are struggling for a striker and signing wingers instead. 

What I might be willing to accept is that we cocked up in the summer which apparently was Semmens' fault rather than SR.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I think there's a shortage of goalscoring strikers at the moment and a lot of teams around us spending silly money. Leeds have just spend £35m on Rutter who has scored 2 goals this season. Bournemouth have signed Semenyo who scored 5 in the Championship. West Ham got Ings ahead of us and he's injured now anyway. Even Man U have settled for signing Weghorst. Chelsea are struggling for a striker and signing wingers instead. 

What I might be willing to accept is that we cocked up in the summer which apparently was Semmens' fault rather than SR.

You are right about lack of good strikers. Really, only City have a great one. Having said that I wouldn't mind a Mitrovich or a Toney equivalent.

9 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

It’s difficult because we seem to get a nosebleed at the thought of paying over 20million or the thought of paying out decent wages like West Ham did ings.. I see they are going for ener Valencia now.

surely at this stage instead of buying 3 or four players like we seem to have tried for this window including Alcaraz and Orsic etc. wouldn’t you be better clubbing the money together for that one player (a striker ) then it is to be signing two players like hjulmand and sulemana? 

the board need to stop being little boys trying to play in a mens league and pay what it needs to get the striker if that means signing less players why not do that then ?

So we shouldn't make other signings and save all the money to buy a striker who doesn't exist?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Agreed. Mara ran around gamely on Saturday as our nominated striker, and we didn't create so much as a half chance for him - against a Championship side. 

In the end he had to create the only decent bit of open play attacking for Perraud's winner.

Our problems run much deeper than one striker. 

Can’t help but some sort Lanzini type signing wouldn’t be a bad thing IMO.

6 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

I suspect we will get the DM captain Hjumnund or whatever his name was as he was reported to be pushing for the move .

Striker no idea ....i know who i would want Beto or onurah the 6 7 inch one

More likely we'll get either Richard Hjumnund or Alison Hjumnund....

33 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

As mentioned, if he told us we weren't good enough in the Summer then we're definitely not going to be now.

Are you talking about Dembele? That's what I thought - he said no thanks - so why would have say "sure" now?

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Are you talking about Dembele? That's what I thought - he said no thanks - so why would have say "sure" now?

Option 1:  A boat load of cash.  Option 2:  It's bollocks.  Option 3:  It's a line we can trot out to show we at least tried to recruit a striker.

It's probably option 2.  

I've not completely given up on the Rennes winger - seems to me that Rennes have a player who isn't playing regularly and wants to move and as the deadline gets closer they're trying to extract as much as they can.  Dunno if he's the answer or not but I'm not writing it off just yet.

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

This club has turned me fully cynical in the last year but this one really stinks of either "I promise you we're trying" from our end or "does somebody not shit fancy me?" from his.

2 minutes ago, derry said:

I woder what Perraud would be like played up alongside Mara. Loads of energy, a bit of pace and a cracking shot.

My suggestion to my son as we watched on Saturday. If you watch the shooting practice before the game he generally outscores everyone else ... puts his foot through the ball as I think the saying goes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Maybe he thought he could do better, but now, with 6 months left on his contract, no-one better has come in for him.

• Like 3