January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

I'm wondering whether we are still after Delap (yeah I know, he's a kid and did nothing at Stoke) even though we have a change of manager. Some players are just better around better players.

Jones hinted at getting one done will determine others. I reckon we might be trying to get one player on loan and buy another (striker and winger) rather than having to sign two this window. And then sign the loan player in the summer if all good.

Not that I think we don't "have the money" it will be an accounting/cash flow approach. 

I am generally an optimistic person so will be so for the next two days. Our survival depends on how well it goes!!

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Their minds were made up already. We are from Europes elite and so we should expect some footballing master to be our manager , it seems

Last time we managed to recruit someone with Champions League experience, plus top flight experience in one of Europe's Elite leagues (and also fighting relegation in that league), and that was under no-investment no-ambition etc etc Gao regime. 

It was hardly an unrealistic demand.

It does seem very strange to be leaving this so late? I’m guessing we have been turned down by our initial top targets and are now weighing up getting players in for the sake of it?

Its really tinpot though from the club it’s not like they’ve known wear the team needs signings for nearly a year 😂

4 minutes ago, Nolan said:

FFS Some People. Jones is asked specifically about Walcott in the Press Conference by Blackmore. What do people expect the answer to be?

They want the SWF answer

"Hes shite, shouldnt be anywhere near our matchday squad and we're desperate to get his excessive wages off our books"

😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

How about Pukki as a short term fix. He does know how to put the ball in the net and over the years we have alway got great forwards from Norwich. Ron Davies, Ted McDougall and Phil Bowyer. Desperate perhaps but may work

I also thought of Pukki as a deadline day deal. My original suggestion for Prem experience was Chris Wood, but Forest got there first. No idea if Norwich want to deal, but if you had to put money on someone scoring 6-10 goals in the second half of the season - would you pick Pukki or a 20 year old winger from Rennes? I know where my cash would be. There's no guarantee of anything, and Sulemana might turn out to be the next George Best, but if we're placing a bet on an instant impact we could do a lot worse than Pukki. 

(Checks West Ham training ground and sees Ings on the treatment table for reminder of what can go wrong...)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Nolan said:

to stop reading stuff thats third hand Chinese whispers. Just watch the presser.

why on earth would anyone want to do that when they can read one clickbait comment taken out of context answering an unknown question and only hearing a portion of the complete answer? this is Spazweb remember!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

Pavlidis from AZ is the one we should be after. 15 goals and 7 assists in 19 including a hat-trick at the weekend. Brilliant in the air, can clearly finish and his link-up is superb. He's only 24, too. 

Compared with some of the crap we've been linked with this guy looks more like what we need. Sign him up. We know it won't happen.

31 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I'm wondering whether we are still after Delap (yeah I know, he's a kid and did nothing at Stoke) even though we have a change of manager. Some players are just better around better players.

Jones hinted at getting one done will determine others. I reckon we might be trying to get one player on loan and buy another (striker and winger) rather than having to sign two this window. And then sign the loan player in the summer if all good.

Not that I think we don't "have the money" it will be an accounting/cash flow approach. 

I am generally an optimistic person so will be so for the next two days. Our survival depends on how well it goes!!

Please don't let this be true.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We've gone on from a couple, to now just trying to get one in...

Are there ever times in your life when things don't go as you hoped and you have to reset your expectations?

Alternatively, do you think the club should stop trying to be ambitious in transfer windows in case people get disappointed when it doesn't happen?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Are there ever times in your life when things don't go as you hoped and you have to reset your expectations?

Alternatively, do you think the club should stop trying to be ambitious in transfer windows in case people get disappointed when it doesn't happen?

I think we should sign a player that is more likely to join us who is better than Adams and Mara.  We've had a year to look for realistic options. Shouldn't be difficult. 

It’s hard to see a way to compete for us when our top targets are so easily outbid by our relegation rivals/teams close to our points:

Moffi - appears to have been our number on target. WHU outbid us before he made his preference known to stay in France.

Jackson - yes he failed his medical but outbid by Bournemouth. Appears to have been another key target this window. We were talking to him all window.

Sulemana - a player Rasmus will know from his time in Denmark. Positive words over the weekend from Jones re his potency. Outbid by basket case Everton.

Danny Ings - the most logical signing, outbid on wages by WHU. His injury doesn’t hide it’s another one we lost.

Danjuma - long term target, I’m sure we would have been very interested. Clearly chose Everton over us before getting poached by Spurs.

Then you go to the previous window where Leeds outbid us for Gakpo as main rivals and we couldn’t convince G. Ramos either.

Our budget constraints (both fees and wages) leave us shopping in the high risk category. This isn’t looking good for the great escape. I really do hope we can find that attacking player to save us but confidence in that is diminishing. Jones’ tone in the presser today seemed less confident too, but that could just be a front.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Am I alone in thinking it’s not just a striker we need but also some creativity? 

Not at all, a wide man/pace and a striker is what we need. But if it was a toss up I'd still go for a number 9. We do have Carlos and Orsic in to help with the creative stakes, who weren't here before.

18 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

The brutal fact is that without someone who can score a few goals coming in, barring miracles we are down. It's a simple as that. And all so avoidable.

Well exactly, I'd say that's putting the club in a bigger financial shit - surely? Or am I missing something.

46 minutes ago, Nolan said:

to stop reading stuff thats third hand Chinese whispers. Just watch the presser.

51 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We've gone on from a couple, to now just trying to get one in...

I'm concerned that you are both using the word 'stuff'. #Trousers 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Am I alone in thinking it’s not just a striker we need but also some creativity? 

Agreed. Mara ran around gamely on Saturday as our nominated striker, and we didn't create so much as a half chance for him - against a Championship side. 

In the end he had to create the only decent bit of open play attacking for Perraud's winner.

Our problems run much deeper than one striker. 

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 2

Bottom line is it doesn’t really seem possible to run a club sustainably

without knowing some of these players we have been linked to all that well, they all seem incredibly overpriced for what they have done

Surley Newcastle don’t think buying Gordon was any value? 

I see Everton have been quoted 25m for Gyokeres, no way does that seem reasonable either. 

I just don’t see how we can stay in the league long term the way it is regardless of what we do this year, we seem to have owners that are happy to spend but only responsibly and that just won’t cut it anymore

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Agreed. Mara ran around gamely on Saturday as our nominated striker, and we didn't create so much as a half chance for him - against a Championship side. 

In the end he had to create the only decent bit of open play attacking for Perraud's winner.

Our problems run much deeper than one striker. 

WTGOR, It is also up to him to influence the game, and although I agree with you, we are really struggling to create chances under Jones, we also need to have strikers that can be involved in creating chances. You can't just wait for the perfect assist all the time.

Edited by Saint Garrett

51 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think we should sign a player that is more likely to join us who is better than Adams and Mara.  We've had a year to look for realistic options. Shouldn't be difficult. 

What if you're wrong and it is actually difficult? I find that idea more compelling than the suggestion that the club is either useless or deliberately gaslighting us season after season

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

What if you're wrong and it is actually difficult? I find that idea more compelling than the suggestion that the club is either useless or deliberately gaslighting us season after season

Then the board are useless and out of their depth. But I think we knew that already.

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It is diffcult, but this isn't something that's struck us out of nowhere in the last 2 weeks. We've known for a year.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

without knowing some of these players we have been linked to all that well, they all seem incredibly overpriced for what they have done

I think this is the problem.  Wolves, Bournemouth and Forest spending money like it is going out of fashion is just creating hyper inflation in our part of the transfer market.

Although I would love us to sign a striker I don't want another Carillo situation.  People need to remember how we almost lost our club not so long ago.

Edited by Yozzman
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Knowing about the problem doesn't mean we can magic up goalscoring strikers who want to join us over other clubs

We needed to find an attacker that was better than Armstrong, Mara and Adams. We have had a year to do it. It's not unrealistic. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

Delap fell out with Stoke after they sacked his dad this month. He is now on loan to Preston so couldn't join us this season. He might be a target for the summer as he will be very familiar with the championship

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaptopSaint said:

I also thought of Pukki as a deadline day deal. My original suggestion for Prem experience was Chris Wood, but Forest got there first. No idea if Norwich want to deal, but if you had to put money on someone scoring 6-10 goals in the second half of the season - would you pick Pukki or a 20 year old winger from Rennes? I know where my cash would be. There's no guarantee of anything, and Sulemana might turn out to be the next George Best, but if we're placing a bet on an instant impact we could do a lot worse than Pukki. 

(Checks West Ham training ground and sees Ings on the treatment table for reminder of what can go wrong...)

Not sure he is the answer, but but at least it's a move that might work and thus help stave off relegation. It's a move that might see an immediate impact rather than one that is perhaps more beneficial to the club over the longer term. An expensive short term fix. I might be wrong, but it feels like the club has decided to not go down that route. That's not to say they don't think the signings they have made will help in the short term, I am sure they do, and hopefully they will, but I'm surprised we have not chosen to loan one or two. Perhaps we tried (Ings for example) and just couldn't get clubs to agree to that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not sure he is the answer, but but at least it's a move that might work and thus help stave off relegation. It's a move that might see an immediate impact rather than one that is perhaps more beneficial to the club over the longer term. An expensive short term fix. I might be wrong, but it feels like the club has decided to not go down that route. That's not to say they don't think the signings they have made will help in the short term, I am sure they do, and hopefully they will, but I'm surprised we have not chosen to loan one or two. Perhaps we tried (Ings for example) and just couldn't get clubs to agree to that. 

I think I agree with you. If we don't get anyone else in I think the club will have realised they can't get anyone in they would like and they don't consider the alternatives worth it. Effectively they will be accepting relegation which is fine but let's not have some bullshit pr from the club tomorrow please about being pleased with what we have etc etc. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Just saying it isn't difficult doesn't make it so. Who would you have brought in?

And just looking through the top scorers this season, there are actually very few out and out strikers apart from a couple of stars, it’s all about goals from multiple sources and we only have 2 (Adams & JWP)

• Like 1